Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so bitterly disappointing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 10:02 AM
roy826
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 79 Posts

Man that’s pretty bad. I’d be upset as you are.

Makes me feel lucky but I bought bland arctic white kinda hard to mess that up.

I hope they resolve this issue as painless as possible.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:06 AM
thunderstrike
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by roy826
I hope they resolve this issue as painless as possible.
Resolve it paintless.
(meaning, no paint correction -- a new car).
2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Old 01-05-2024, 10:20 AM
Semifighter18
Racer

Received 316 Likes on 147 Posts

I hate to side with GM on this one (not excusing them for the paint mismatch), but you accepted the car, drove it for a month and 1200 miles and then realized there was a paint mismatch. They offered to fix it for free and you said, "No, give me a new car." If I was GM I'd say no too........
The following 11 users liked this post by Semifighter18:
Acpantera (01-05-2024), Bayshore Vette (01-12-2024), Dads2kconvertible (01-06-2024), DMack1102 (01-05-2024), F4Gary (01-06-2024), JALLEN4 (01-05-2024), jcthorne (01-05-2024), Landru (01-05-2024), RonC7 (01-06-2024), StfDrmsRMadeOf (01-06-2024), Zaro Tundov (01-06-2024) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-05-2024, 10:25 AM
91Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

After a long wait and dropping serious coin on a new Z06, it is very understandable to be upset about the paint mis-match.

Sure hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction!
Old 01-05-2024, 10:42 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Semifighter18
I hate to side with GM on this one (not excusing them for the paint mismatch), but you accepted the car, drove it for a month and 1200 miles and then realized there was a paint mismatch. They offered to fix it for free and you said, "No, give me a new car." If I was GM I'd say no too........
And don't hate to agree with GM for what I consider, after 1200 miles, to be more than a good offer. Also good painter can best a paint robot! What the heck is wrong with GM's offer?? Frankly things like paint are to be dealt with at PDI, perhaps a few days after. Heck 1200 miles! Things can happen. Reminded of Hertz who refused to rent a colleague a car when he visited our plant in Buffalo. That plant made ferroalloys and SAW flux in huge electric furnaces. Yep nasty things can come out of the big exhaust stack on each furnace! Foolish not to accept the GM offer IMO:

"A week after case issued, I was contacted that Chevy- Corvette is happy to have local dealer paint the panels for free, (thinking to myself for a long nanosecond & wondering how that paint repair will look on my CarFax?), I responded that I was not interested in painting my 1200 mile- 25 day old six figure car, suggested that a "Buy Back" & rebuild would be better served to Chevrolet and to me as a customer. ..."
The following users liked this post:
John Harry (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 11:29 AM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,442 Likes on 803 Posts

Normally I see people bitching about paint flaws and I roll my eyes because they are usually quite trivial and it's not a $300k supercar price tag.

This however looks like there is an obvious change in the paint that was applied to these different parts. It is quite obvious. How did this get past QC?
Looking at plant videos these parts all move along together on carriers, get painted by robots, etc. How do these parts end up different like this??? I can only imagine that they ran the spray system dry and then had to load more paint and made a mistake there somehow while this car had some parts unfinished.

This isn't a small paint defect area, this is ENTIRE PANELS painted with the wrong paint. I'd be raising HELL too.
Also, look closely at the headlights. It looks like you might have the headlight streaking issue as well.

Your mistake was driving the car for 1200 miles before you discovered this issue. Maybe call that a honeymoon issue?
StayinStock (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 11:30 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

I seems to me from what I read here is the paint differences were only 1st noticed under special lighting at the detail shop and the pictures posted are under those lighting conditions. PDI does not inspect under special lighting so accusing them of lazy and missing it unfounded.

What does it look like outdoor daytime? If it was never shown to the OP under the special light would it have ever been the problem?
The following 2 users liked this post by Vega$Vette:
DMack1102 (01-05-2024), JALLEN4 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 11:31 AM
thunderstrike
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Semifighter18
It's not like the qualifying inspections like flying an aircraft before accepting. Of all new cars I bought, I never inspected so close like it being suggested. We don't expect the purchaser to perform "release the vehicle from factory" quality inspection.
DMack1102 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 12:06 PM
kwickag
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Seawolf Gray is a Tricoat, It looks like on the flat color panels they didn't do the second coat that adds the metallic and also changes the color slightly. All that probably has to be done is to add that coat and another clear coat and it would match. It's probably why it wasn't that noticeable at first since it had the proper first coat.
The following 2 users liked this post by kwickag:
undecided1965 (01-05-2024), Warp Ten (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 12:17 PM
BPHORSEGUY
Melting Slicks

Location: SUFFIELD CT USA 2023 C8 CORVETTE UN-MODIFIED FINALIST
Received 655 Likes on 351 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by thunderstrike
It's not like the qualifying inspections like flying an aircraft before accepting. Of all new cars I bought, I never inspected so close like it being suggested. We don't expect the purchaser to perform "release the vehicle from factory" quality inspection.
IF you didn't do diligent inspections of many new cars you bought and never had an issue then consider yourself lucky .

There are several threads here devoted entirely to this subject and dozens of threads of huge problems like this one that could of been minimized or eliminated with an owner pre-purchase inspection !

Old 01-05-2024, 12:44 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,225 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
That’s Terrible. That’s worth an email to Mary B the CEO.
Over ten years on this forum I have read got to be 200+ people say send Mary B an email. I have yet to read any follow-up posts that said she replied!
C8driver (01-06-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 12:51 PM
moncal90
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

OP, I'm truly sorry that your car is a mismatched as bad as it is and that it got out of factory and through PDI that way. Unfortunately it's a mass produced car and defects are going to get out. I am in no way excusing GM but the plain truth is **** happens no matter how good your QC is. If I were in your shoes, I'd take the dealer repainting the panels for free. I, personally, don't worry about Carfax. I understand it's purpose but if I have to have my cars repaired, and I have, I have had it done at a reputable dealer and it was done right. I know my dealer has a good paint shop since they've had to replace and repaint the rear bumper (twice) on my wife's yellow Camaro. How people don't see a bright yellow car and still rear end it is beyond me. Anyways, I only say what I would do because I know how rare it is to get a Z06 at this point and that I would be happy with a re-paint done properly. It seems like there's several options for you to go down here and I wish you luck. Let us know how you proceed and how it goes.

1. Take the repaint and enjoy the Z06 or
2. Contact the NCM (Shane) and see if he and the factory can get traction on replacement panels or
3. Contact Mary Barra's office via email. mary.barra@gm.com, I believe this is the email. You might get better traction with her support team.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:52 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,225 Likes on 2,273 Posts

OP, my heart sank while reading your initial post then when I saw the pictures my jaw drop. I have never seen such a bad mismatched paint job in my life even when I worked at Earl Scheib decades ago who painted cars for only $99.00 I never saw that!

I truly feel for you for the warranted complete disappointment, frustration, despair and many other feelings you are going through. I truly hope GM makes it right by allowing a swap and I am glad you have the dealer behind you pushing GM.

Keep us posted.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:52 PM
moncal90
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Over ten years on this forum I have read got to be 200+ people say send Mary B an email. I have yet to read any follow-up posts that said she replied!
She doesn't personally reply. She's got a team to deal with issues and I've seen on this forum and the other forum where her team has followed up and gotten resolution for people. I can't say it has happened for all of them but it has been posted on here.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:58 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dohabandit
Normally I see people bitching about paint flaws and I roll my eyes because they are usually quite trivial and it's not a $300k supercar price tag.

This however looks like there is an obvious change in the paint that was applied to these different parts. It is quite obvious. How did this get past QC?
Looking at plant videos these parts all move along together on carriers, get painted by robots, etc. How do these parts end up different like this??? I can only imagine that they ran the spray system dry and then had to load more paint and made a mistake there somehow while this car had some parts unfinished.

This isn't a small paint defect area, this is ENTIRE PANELS painted with the wrong paint. I'd be raising HELL too.
Also, look closely at the headlights. It looks like you might have the headlight streaking issue as well.

Your mistake was driving the car for 1200 miles before you discovered this issue. Maybe call that a honeymoon issue?
That is why I said a "good painter" is better than a robot!

Ask the painter/artist that did all my flames by hand, no template. He painted base coat, flames, edge strip all within 20 hours (as required) before spraying the clear coats. He'd tell you, like all good painters, they can match sun faded paint by adjusting air pressure for example. One of those robots could have had a nozzle clog and get shade variations.

A person (good one) would see the issue and stop. Robot just keeps on painting. Since it took OP 1200 miles to see it under a specific light can see how it got past BG QA. Apparently passed dealer at PDI and OP also!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-05-2024 at 01:03 PM.
DMack1102 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 01:08 PM
Nick49
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 95 Posts

I have bought several new GM cars and trucks, the first in 1970. I've never been treated what I consider "fairly" by their sales, or service departments, but I just thought that's how things were. What brought me back was in interest in the C8 in 2019. Thanks to this forum, I've read hundreds of posts regarding the product, how dealers and the manufacturer handle issues and problems. The C8 to me seems OK, and maybe a fun car, but I'm still on the fence. I've been spoilt by Lexus, Porsche and Subaru that bend over backwards at every beck and call and let me know they want and appreciate my business and will do most anything to keep it.

I think, the first rep you spoke with should have stood up straight, looked you in the eye, clicked their heels, saluted you and told you things will be taken care of to your satisfaction ASAP! That's the treatment I've received and are used to when having a car problem over the last 24 years or so. It seems GM just kicks their customer to the curb with empty promises, lies, backorders, and BS. Same as it ever was....

I sincerely hope they make you whole and make things better than you expect in a timely manner. The product is only one part of the ownership experience, and it's debatable if it's the most important. Customer is always right in my business and I please them before I please myself. Been like that for 50 years!
Old 01-05-2024, 01:09 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Originally Posted by moncal90
She doesn't personally reply. She's got a team to deal with issues and I've seen on this forum and the other forum where her team has followed up and gotten resolution for people. I can't say it has happened for all of them but it has been posted on here.
Yep, as Ellen DeGeneres would say "her people" handle emails etc.

Some months ago I wrote to Mary and asked that my email be forwarded to the Executive Chief Corvette Engineer. Did not know what would happen nor expect an answer. In 3 days had a rely to my question/comment!

Get notified of new replies

To so bitterly disappointing...

Old 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Warp Ten
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 350 Posts

WOW I must agree that I have never seen such a bad matching paint job from BG. I think the gas cap is the right color / metal flake. It always amazed me that some components get painted at the suppliers facility.... maybe the gas cap??? ... and the majority of the body is painted at BG assemble plant and the colors match up good.... Not in this case. Keep ******* GM to get a new car.

I can see a slight different color in any car, especially when items are painted in two different locations. Look at your bumper covers on any car and if have the right light you can see a slight difference in color... to me that would be a good match.
Old 01-05-2024, 01:26 PM
24RiptideBlue
Pro

Received 531 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
And don't hate to agree with GM for what I consider, after 1200 miles, to be more than a good offer. Also good painter can best a paint robot! What the heck is wrong with GM's offer?? Frankly things like paint are to be dealt with at PDI, perhaps a few days after. Heck 1200 miles! Things can happen. Reminded of Hertz who refused to rent a colleague a car when he visited our plant in Buffalo. That plant made ferroalloys and SAW flux in huge electric furnaces. Yep nasty things can come out of the big exhaust stack on each furnace! Foolish not to accept the GM offer IMO:

"A week after case issued, I was contacted that Chevy- Corvette is happy to have local dealer paint the panels for free, (thinking to myself for a long nanosecond & wondering how that paint repair will look on my CarFax?), I responded that I was not interested in painting my 1200 mile- 25 day old six figure car, suggested that a "Buy Back" & rebuild would be better served to Chevrolet and to me as a customer. ..."
Disagree…. For those who say the customer should be doing a “full body cavity inspection” that’s not what delivery day of a Corvette is supposed to be about. A lot of guys dream and plan and save their whole life to buy a Corvette. And a Z06, after waiting months and months. It’s supposed to be a fun exciting experience. You bring family and friends. You take pictures. It’s not supposed to be a day of having to challenge the dealer that thinks they prepped your Z06 to perfection or they wouldn’t be delivering the car.

The manufacturer is supposed to make sure it’s right. How old is gm? How many cameras and computers and trained professionals do they have? With today’s technology there is absolutely no excuse that car was shipped. If they can’t get a Z06 right WTF? We’re talking well over a Hundred Thousand Dollars….. and it’s the customers job to make sure a fully warranted Supercar is perfect?

Hindsight is 20:20….. In addition to it’s not the customer’s job to inspect the car from stem to stern I know what’s it’s like to realize something you bought isn’t right. Trying to decide if it’s really worth complaining. Looking at it in different conditions. Getting outside opinions. Maybe getting input from detailers… before deciding “this isn’t right”. While going through this process you’re living your life, going to work etc. Days and miles go by. Sure it’s better to address it earlier but 1,200 miles is not a lot of miles.

What’s one of the first things a seller boasts when selling an exotic car “Original Paint”. I don’t know anyone that wants a repaint on a brand new Supercar.

gm is making billions, they sell every C8 they make. The Z06 is their flagship and gm should treat it like a Ferrari or McLaren. Take the car back. Give him a new one and let Mary Barra drive the repaint (assuming she will actually get in an internal combustion vehicle…)
Maxie2U (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 01:35 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

If it were me?

id have the owner of the dealership or general manager order you a new z06 and take delivery in six months when you can trade your current z06 in minus mileage usuage you put on over the next five months.

get every dollar the trade will be worth minus the mileage and what the new car will cost you out of pocket five months from now.

I believe that’s what I would do.

good luck and I’m sorry this occured

Quick Reply: so bitterly disappointing...