Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blind spot mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 06:48 AM
ShanMan14
Administrator

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I have the Paragon mirrors, it was the first mod I made. I love them.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:19 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkMeHopeful
I encourage you to try it for a while and see if your brain will start making adjustments for the camera mirror. Most can and begin to really like it, especially the wide-angle aspects.
I agree. I had the same problem when I first tried the camera mirror. When I looked at it I was seeing double and it made me dizzy. Someone here suggested that rather than using the "wide angle" view that I try one of the two "zoom in" modes and that helped. After I got used to that in a few days, I returned to the wide angle view and as suggested my brain adjusted to the camera view and now find it very easy to use.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:59 PM
gwcrim
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
If you adjust your mirrors correctly, there is no blind spot. And contrary to the post above, why people haven't learned to do the "full head swivel" is because you're not supposed to take your eyes off what is in front of you.

But people still refuse to adjust their mirrors correctly, add goofy extra mirrors, and look over their shoulder like they were taught in the '50s.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-blind-spots/
Way back in the 1980s I learned this method and it WORKS! The trick to correctly adjusting side view mirror is easy. For the left mirror, put your head against the window of the door and adjust the mirror so that you can barely see the side of the car. For the right mirror, move your head over top of the console and adjus the mirror so that you can just see the side of the car. At normal driving position, you won't be able to see the sides of the car BUT you won't have a blind spot.
The following 2 users liked this post by gwcrim:
Glennm27 (01-07-2024), JABCAT (01-07-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 10:15 PM
oldboomer54
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Installed the Paragon mirrors right away. No blind spots. Still can't get used to the rear camera regardless of settings but the majority of time, my top is down so it doesn't matter.
Old 01-06-2024, 11:45 PM
joeflylow
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Silverado 2500 'trailer' two section mirrors

On my 2023 Chevy 2500 I can see both door handles in the factory crew cab mirrors on drivers side. I look at the bottom lens for less than a second and move out smartly (Army terms) and change lanes. Just put wall mart 3 inch convex mirrors on lower outside of factory mirrors and it works just as well. It cost about 3 bucks. Am thinking of removing the one on the passenger mirror.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:25 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,878 Likes on 4,278 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by sshallen
"Many new drivers find shoulder checking difficult for a couple of reasons."

I could post 100 if I were not tired. I put a solid fifteen minutes search for a professional who advocates doing it incorrectly. Nothing.
Not one of your links discusses how to adjust the mirrors to eliminate blind spots, they all assume you have one. I could post list of things taught incorrectly in my field too. Just because it's still being taught, doesn't make it correct.

If you adjust your mirrors correctly, there is nothing you can see out of a Corvette by turning your head that wouldn't already be in your mirror or peripheral field of vision.

Last edited by JABCAT; 01-07-2024 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sweetness34 (04-29-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 04:13 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Received 679 Likes on 334 Posts

Not one of your links discusses how to adjust the mirrors to eliminate blind spots, they all assume you have one. I could post list of things taught incorrectly in my field too. Just because it's still being taught, doesn't make it correct.

If you adjust your mirrors correctly, there is nothing you can see out of a Corvette by turning your head that wouldn't already be in your mirror or peripheral field of vision.
"Mirrors Only Say No" is so elemental, there is no argument to counter someone who denies it. It's like arguing against "Wash your hands before you eat". "I keep my hands clean, that's an old wives tale, I don't wash my hands before I eat if I've kept my hands clean".

Facts and reason will never change someone's mind if they formed their decision in the absence of same.

You trust mirrors. All experts say that is a very poor practice. May no one ever pay the price of your failure to head check. At least someone new reading this thread is informed.

Peace!
Old 01-07-2024, 04:36 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,115 Likes on 6,189 Posts

If you adjust your mirrors correctly, there is no blind spot. And contrary to the post above, why people haven't learned to do the "full head swivel" is because you're not supposed to take your eyes off what is in front of you.

But people still refuse to adjust their mirrors correctly, add goofy extra mirrors, and look over their shoulder like they were taught in the '50s.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-blind-spots/
Totally agree. Adjust the side mirror correctly and there is no problem.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
hawkgfr (01-21-2024), JABCAT (01-07-2024), johnodrake (01-21-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 06:43 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

"If you adjust your mirrors correctly, there is no blind spot."

I have supported the above idea for a long time but the C8 configuration is different than most cars. The problem is that the actual driver's side mirror is significantly further away from the driver than in all other cars I have ever driven. Being further away means that the area that they can cover and can be seen is dramatically lessened and that's what creates the blind spot no matter how they are adjusted. To increase the area that is covered, I have always installed a wide angle convex mirror on the drivers side of my cars. And that is what is desperately needed on the C8. The easiest method of doing that is with the stick on convex mirror sold at this website: Panoramic Door Mirrors | Sandyeggo Designs

The difference between that mirror and the standard "flat" mirror as far as the area covered is significant and then properly adjusted does eliminate the drivers side blind spot completely
Old 01-07-2024, 06:49 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,878 Likes on 4,278 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

"Mirrors Only Say No" is so elemental, there is no argument to counter someone who denies it. It's like arguing against "Wash your hands before you eat". "I keep my hands clean, that's an old wives tale, I don't wash my hands before I eat if I've kept my hands clean".

Facts and reason will never change someone's mind if they formed their decision in the absence of same.

You trust mirrors. All experts say that is a very poor practice. May no one ever pay the price of your failure to head check. At least someone new reading this thread is informed.

Peace!
Except you didn't provide any facts or experts to contradict the fact that correctly adjusting of mirrors eliminates blind spots. I provided a reference from the Society of Automotive Engineers that supports the claim.

So as you said "facts and reason..."
Old 01-07-2024, 09:31 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Except you didn't provide any facts or experts to contradict the fact that correctly adjusting of mirrors eliminates blind spots. I provided a reference from the Society of Automotive Engineers that supports the claim.

So as you said "facts and reason..."
Cool. You keep your hands clean and don't need to wash them. I wash mine. To each his own! May your choices never negatively impact you or others.

Mine cannot.

"Correctly adjusting eliminates blinds spots" does NOT eliminate your responsibility to visual check where you are going WITH YOUR EYES. Try driving with a blacked out windshield and a set of mirrors that allow you to see where you are going with no blindspots. It's obvious to you that it would be possible to set that up, but nonsensical.

"Did you LOOK before you lane changed???" "Well... I checked my mirrors but no I did not look... sry"
Old 01-07-2024, 09:37 PM
StfDrmsRMadeOf
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Peace!
It sounds like you’re saying regardless of the mirror showing you 100% of the area you’re interested in seeing you need to look at it directly to know what’s there? Or are you saying there is no way a mirror could ever show you 100% of the area you want to see?
The following 2 users liked this post by StfDrmsRMadeOf:
Walt White Coupe (01-07-2024), Waterline (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 10:24 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StfDrmsRMadeOf
It sounds like you’re saying regardless of the mirror showing you 100% of the area you’re interested in seeing you need to look at it directly to know what’s there? Or are you saying there is no way a mirror could ever show you 100% of the area you want to see?
You do not abdicate your responsibility to a device. For example, if it were a combination of a camera and display, it could say "don't change lanes" and that's reliable but you would NEVER trust it to change lanes without verifying with your eyes.

Mirrors Only Say No. Consistent in all professionally delivered training. Some "ANSI engineers say you may be able to adjust mirrors to eliminate blind spots" doesn't cut it.

Changing lanes? Look first. Not difficult. Not complicated. 1/10th of a second off your life that may save another.

Not mandatory of course, and it's likely that disregarding this basic procedure may never cause harm to you or others. And apparently a lot of folks get some sort of "cool vibe" from never looking before moving into another lane.

I am surprised at the size and energy of the group that says "Forget best practices. I'm too cool, I have on my mirror shades, I look at the mirrors which I have professionally adjusted, and I get a charge out of moving into another lane without even a single glance at where I'm going. Because I'm that good at adjusting my mirrors. I know mirrors NEVER get bumped, never get out of adjustment, they are infallible. My head never moves. Chicks swoon."

Whatever kicks ya.

Last edited by sshallen; 01-07-2024 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:34 PM
Waterline
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 133 Posts

If you don't know how to use a mirror, look over your shoulder. Simple enough.
Old 01-07-2024, 11:21 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

sshallen, Thanks for reminding us that the images we see in mirrors are not real. How could anyone believe that what they see in a mirror is real? I think we are seeing something from the great beyond when we look into mirrors. Don't trust them.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:11 AM
newcastlegreg
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the rear view camera, mirror warning indicator, and no convex on the mirror makes for some junky technology. You might be safe in relaxed traffic differentiating with the mirrors and camera joyriding the c8. Driving it in serious california traffic it’s just too clunky. Saying to turn your head makes no sense as all you see is the nacelles on the convert and with the top down you don’t even have the camera… There are several high end cars with simply wonderful blind spot tech-and those cars have good visibility already.
Being a cool, mid engine car is no excuse for having cheap tech- that is what the real debate is about here….
Old 01-08-2024, 12:33 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,115 Likes on 6,189 Posts

Originally Posted by newcastlegreg
I think the rear view camera, mirror warning indicator, and no convex on the mirror makes for some junky technology. You might be safe in relaxed traffic differentiating with the mirrors and camera joyriding the c8. Driving it in serious california traffic it’s just too clunky. Saying to turn your head makes no sense as all you see is the nacelles on the convert and with the top down you don’t even have the camera… There are several high end cars with simply wonderful blind spot tech-and those cars have good visibility already.
Being a cool, mid engine car is no excuse for having cheap tech- that is what the real debate is about here….
Federal rules (CFR 49 § 571.111 S5.2.1) prohibit convex mirrors on the driver's side.

S5.2 Outside rearview mirror—driver's side.

S5.2.1 Field of view. Each passenger car shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification.
​​​​​​​Unit magnification, by definition, excludes a convex mirror.
​​​​​​​

Get notified of new replies

To Blind spot mirrors

Old 01-21-2024, 10:53 AM
Durango95
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have used small rectangular convex mirrors on all cars owned. They have served flawlessly. When I purchased C8 coupe, 1LT, drove from the dealer in Delaware to Philadelphia, without these. Was concerned about the right side blind spot. Arrived home, purchased and installed the mirrors. Now the entire vehicle coming along on the right blind is seen in the mirror. Therefore, as with past vehicles, these mirrors have solved all my blind spot problems. $5.00 each. They're small, Approx 1.5" W x 1.0" H, and pose no significant obstruction to the regular mirrors. Have no effect on aesthetics. In fact, I like the look.
At night, depending on road lighting and other factors, if a black vehicle comes alongside with lights off, they might not serve their purpose, but in that type situation, probably nothing is 100% fail-safe.
Old 01-21-2024, 11:01 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,517 Likes on 786 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

When mirrors are adjuster properly there are no blind spots on cars. I finally learned the right method about 25 yrs ago, and eliminated blind spots since.

1- lean you head against the drivers window and adjust side view mirror to just see the edge of the car.
2- lean your head far right and adjut the passenger side view mirror to just see edge of car.

As you drive you will see a car in either lane beside you move up and about the time it moves out of the rearview it will move into the side view, and as it moves out of the side view it will move into your peripherial vision.

I have found it works on most every car, C8 included. If you have the camera mirror, all the better. You should have no blindspots.
Old 01-21-2024, 11:27 AM
jiminfresno
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

I assume if you install the paragon mirrors you no longer have the warning indicator which is not perfect, but does help.

Quick Reply: Blind spot mirrors