Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Tires - Observation

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 11:34 AM
gtpvette
Melting Slicks

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Buying Tires - Observation

I've been looking for new tires as I'm changing the rim size on my C8. That said, shopped Tire Rack, Discount Tire, Discount Tire Direct (I believe these three all owned by same folks), Costco, Walmart, EBay, Simply and Priority. I'm looking at a couple of different options based on my sizes, Pilot Sport 4S, Firestone Indy 500, Continental Extreme Sport, Toyo. I'm leaning to Pilot Sports or Continental.

Tire prices are all pretty much the same and in the end, Costco seems to be the best deal as Road Hazzard and installation are included free. Order tires, show up and they install them. Discount Tire the worst as Road Hazzard and Installation are both additional ($300 on my setup). Tire rack is middle of the road, free shipping and Road Hazzard but you have to pay for installation and if shipped to your home cart the tires to the installer which is a PITA.

I'm surprised about Costco, never bought tires from them before as I've been a Tire Rack guy for ages.

You have any thoughts on better options??
Old 12-13-2023, 11:52 AM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 962 Likes on 631 Posts

Ask locally. I sourced my last set of tires for my wife's truck through my regular repair shop. Got a great deal. Plus that makes it easy to get them rotated while getting an oil change or serviced--as that's a free service with the tires.

I'm a fan of Conti DW/ DWS's. I have Pirelli P-Zero's on my DD currently. Don't really have any thoughts one way or the other about most tires, but if they are excessive on noise or wear fast, that I do notice. I've usually gone off Tire Rack's user reviews of noise and grip--and tried to pick "Best in class" among those ratings--with an eye for price.
The following users liked this post:
Acpantera (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 12:05 PM
Kbmwgt
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

YOU would trust the guys at Costco to touch your C8, let alone new wheels? No matter what the road hazard they offer.
As far has TireRack...great service and if you don't know they actually will drop ship anywhere you want. Pick your own tire mounting service. OR...they offer such places on their website near you.
As far as the brand and type of tire...well ask about what oil to use. Everyone has an opinion. I usually go with what the manufacturer designed and made the car with. Heck Corvette racing has done pretty good with Michelins.
Oh and many have said to me....you spent $80k+ on your car and NOW you are going to cheap out?
The following 4 users liked this post by Kbmwgt:
BigKevO (01-02-2024), bucker2 (01-05-2024), C8driver (12-21-2023), MikeinAZ (01-04-2024)
Old 12-13-2023, 12:06 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by gtpvette
I've been looking for new tires as I'm changing the rim size on my C8. That said, shopped Tire Rack, Discount Tire, Discount Tire Direct (I believe these three all owned by same folks), Costco, Walmart, EBay, Simply and Priority. I'm looking at a couple of different options based on my sizes, Pilot Sport 4S, Firestone Indy 500, Continental Extreme Sport, Toyo. I'm leaning to Pilot Sports or Continental.

Tire prices are all pretty much the same and in the end, Costco seems to be the best deal as Road Hazzard and installation are included free. Order tires, show up and they install them. Discount Tire the worst as Road Hazzard and Installation are both additional ($300 on my setup). Tire rack is middle of the road, free shipping and Road Hazzard but you have to pay for installation and if shipped to your home cart the tires to the installer which is a PITA.

I'm surprised about Costco, never bought tires from them before as I've been a Tire Rack guy for ages.

You have any thoughts on better options??
Don't know if you asking about installer options, or tire options since you discussed both in your preamble. But here are my thoughts:

I bought and had my Michelin Tires (the ones that are standard on the non-Z51 Stingray) installed at my dealer (Criswell, Gaithersburg). And I was able to use my reward points. I thought the price was competitive, and I trust that dealer to install them properly and without any damage. There can be issues with both wheel damage and improper lifting of the car - most report good experience with Discount Tire, and I have no recent experience with taking a Corvette to any of the other places. I do not buy the road hazard coverage. I'm not going to rationalize that - I just never have done it - and never regretted not having it.

In the section of the Owner's Manual, Buying New Tires (and in several other places in the manual), it mentions the GM specific Tire Performance Criteria (TPC) specification. And recommends that replacement tires meet the same TPC. I do not know if that necessary - I am sure some will say its a good idea, and some will say it is entirely marketing. I'm just pointing it out - since you mention several tire options that are not the OEM tire. Having been on the forum for a while, I realize there are reason why some choose to select different tires.

Old 12-13-2023, 12:22 PM
HRDTOPC54FUN
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Unfortunately, the TPC Spec Rated Michelins are only available in the stock tire sizes. The OP is changing rim sizes.

Also, they can be tough to get. In my area they were 4 weeks back ordered for the fronts at Tire Rack.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:38 PM
hamta
Racer

Received 501 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Discount Tire
Food for thought. Discount Tire will honor any advertised price by utilizing our Low Price Guarantee. Discount Tire includes a free prorated road hazard that mirrors Costco's 5yr prorated road hazard. We also give the option for an absolute free replacement at an additional cost with our Certificates for Repair, Refund or Replacement. We are here on the forum to assist where we can.

In addition, Discount Tire/America's Tire (I think that's the name???) are located all over the U.S. relative to Costco locations (and I'm a HUGE fan of Costco). But for tires, I'll stick with Discount Tire...
The following 7 users liked this post by hamta:
ATC (01-04-2024), Discount Tire (12-13-2023), dohabandit (01-03-2024), Fast Dawg (12-14-2023), MKC8 (12-14-2023), Red C8 of Jax (12-14-2023), speedlink (12-13-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-13-2023, 12:47 PM
Dale06
Pro

Received 314 Likes on 164 Posts

I’ve been driving since the mid 1960s, and haven’t had a road hazard incident yet. I can’t see the value in paying for that kind of insurance. My last several sets of tires, corvette and other vehicles all were from Discount Tire, and I had no issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dale06:
Discount Tire (12-13-2023), MKC8 (12-14-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 01:05 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Quick related question: Can you install Michelin Pilot A/S4s NON-RF tires on the stock wheels? I'd buy identical tires than stock (non-Z51), but just non-runflats (regular ones). Thank you.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCtx:
Discount Tire (12-13-2023), progtp (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 01:10 PM
SMOKN C8
Drifting

Received 1,938 Likes on 857 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would be unlikely to trust anyone outside of Discount Tire with my C8
The following 2 users liked this post by SMOKN C8:
Discount Tire (12-13-2023), Mrchen (01-03-2024)
Old 12-13-2023, 01:11 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Firestone is know as may pops in my neighborhood
Fast Dawg (12-14-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 01:17 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,333 Likes on 3,472 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
Quick related question: Can you install Michelin Pilot A/S4s NON-RF tires on the stock wheels? I'd buy identical tires than stock (non-Z51), but just non-runflats (regular ones). Thank you.
Yes, the wheels don't have special features for the Michelin run-flat tires. I realize some run-flat tires do require special wheels.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:27 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Great news; thank you very much. Plus RFs require special equipment not many shops have, like in case of a flat on the road, so much better to have regular tires for those who travel with their C8s. Even if the stock Michelins don't require special equipment. With the stiff sidewalls and low profile, it's much easier to damage the wheels if the equipment is not sturdy enough for RFs.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:10 PM
Wife said I could
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 78 Posts

I grab tires from Discount Tire (or Discount Tire Direct) 75% of the time.

The other times? My vehicle may have a shimmy or some uneven tread wear. Then Belle Tire becomes my choice, but only because they offer in-house alignments.

Otherwise, I lose an afternoon sitting at Discount, then another day at my local repair shop.... I prefer one-stop shopping.

I have a few friends who say the same thing. I think Discount may be leaving a few shekels on the table....
MKC8 (12-14-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 02:59 PM
gtpvette
Melting Slicks

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
Ask locally. I sourced my last set of tires for my wife's truck through my regular repair shop. Got a great deal. Plus that makes it easy to get them rotated while getting an oil change or serviced--as that's a free service with the tires.
I have a large local family run repair shop that's second generation, they also has a separate tire shop. They've installed multiple set of tires on my C7 as well as my wife's truck. They do excellent work. They've got 2-3 guys that work in there full time. I never thought about asking what they can get and I have to believe they can get tires. It's funny, wife is there right now getting oil changed.

Originally Posted by Discount Tire
Food for thought. Discount Tire will honor any advertised price by utilizing our Low Price Guarantee. Discount Tire includes a free prorated road hazard that mirrors Costco's 5yr prorated road hazard. We also give the option for an absolute free replacement at an additional cost with our Certificates for Repair, Refund or Replacement. We are here on the forum to assist where we can.
Thanks for the info. I'll review the Road Hazzard stuff.

Originally Posted by hamta
In addition, Discount Tire/America's Tire (I think that's the name???) are located all over the U.S. relative to Costco locations (and I'm a HUGE fan of Costco). But for tires, I'll stick with Discount Tire...
Closest Discount Tire is 75 Miles away in the suburbs of Ft. Lauderdale based on their website. No locations in Miami. That said, if the deal was good, it'd be worth the drive.

Originally Posted by dale fehrenbach
I’ve been driving since the mid 1960s, and haven’t had a road hazard incident yet. I can’t see the value in paying for that kind of insurance. My last several sets of tires, corvette and other vehicles all were from Discount Tire, and I had no issues.
Never did up util a couple years back. Hit a hoe (not to be confused with a hooker) that I assume fell off the back of a landscape truck. Ripped the sidewall out of my front tire on my C7. AAA flatbed to get home. Tire Rack sent one out right away no charge. New Michelin Pilot 4S front tire (which is top of the line) is maybe $400, rear $460 so if you have to pay for Road Hazzard, probably not worth it, just pay for the tire.

The following 2 users liked this post by gtpvette:
Discount Tire (12-13-2023), MKC8 (12-14-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 04:07 PM
Kbmwgt
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
Firestone is know as may pops in my neighborhood
Can someone please translate this post? Not sure what it means. I think he likes Firestone/Bridgestone tires but not positive about that.
StormTrooper R (01-04-2024)
Old 12-13-2023, 05:12 PM
rawbar
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,005 Likes on 498 Posts

Wish Discount Tire was prevalent in the northeast. I wanted to buy their wheel/tire warranty, but there are absolutely zero DTs in new england.
Discount Tire (12-14-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Buying Tires - Observation

Old 12-13-2023, 05:20 PM
JToddH
Racer

Received 350 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Food for thought…

I was considering going to 21”/20”…

But then I realized I’d give up the Run Flats. With no spare tire, seems prudent to stay OEM in a state notorious for potholes.

I ran low profiles on my CLS550 and lost three tires and one wheel over the years.

Just something to consider
Wife said I could (12-20-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 05:54 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 962 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by JToddH
I was considering going to 21”/20”…

But then I realized I’d give up the Run Flats. With no spare tire, seems prudent to stay OEM in a state notorious for potholes.

I ran low profiles on my CLS550 and lost three tires and one wheel over the years.

Just something to consider
I would go with higher sidewalls and smaller rims, just so I have peace of mind about giving up the RF's. I'd go with the smallest size rim that can fit over the calipers. But I'm also the guy who prefers meat hanging off the sides of the rim, rather than stretching the sidewall to its absolute limits. I think the swamper look on a performance car is sexy. Menacing and gives off that FAFO vibe.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:17 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Before you buy tires anywhere...make sure the tire installer has the machine to change Corvette Tires. Most of the places in my area other than select Chevrolet dealerships don't have the proper machine to change the low profile, wide run flats that C8's have.

Quick Reply: Buying Tires - Observation