Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 depreciation musings

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 09:54 PM
kromdom
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron_Attleboro_MA
1-Sting, my wife tells friends and family that we are spending our 2-daugthers inheritance.
Ron
LOL. Wife and I also very recently embarked on a "SKI program"...Spend Kids Inheritance
The following users liked this post:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (12-09-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 06:19 AM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

Find the best deal on one that meets your wants and buy now.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:58 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 368 Likes on 243 Posts

where some go wrong is "demand" - the cars are keeping up wtih demand just fine, because you can go into a dealership and custom order a car for msrp right now, today.

demand has dropped a little mostly cuz demand for new cars in general has dropped a little as a result of the current economy. that will restore itself after a time, but then again during that time prices will come down etcetc.

its not a bugatti.
Old 12-10-2023, 02:38 PM
gdb069
Burning Brakes

Received 609 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by phalse
where some go wrong is "demand" - the cars are keeping up wtih demand just fine....
There is a thread discussing delivery and perhaps I am reading it wrong but I see members ordering cars in July and receiving now.
Old 12-10-2023, 03:26 PM
CarCrzy
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gdb069
There is a thread discussing delivery and perhaps I am reading it wrong but I see members ordering cars in July and receiving now.
Ordered mine July 22 2023. Went to 2000 August 14 and delivered to my local dealer yesterday.
Old 12-10-2023, 03:56 PM
MitchSpence
Drifting

Received 304 Likes on 153 Posts

Leave it to your kids and they will buy the C8, the BMW, Porsche, etc. And they will thank you for it. Ha! If you are worried about depreciation, keep away from car dealers.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:02 PM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 229 Posts

Here are my two cents. There are multiple factors at play: Inflation, demand, supply and delivery times. Supply and delivery times rely on production volume. Also, much depends on the model; Stingray, Z06 or E-ray.

Inflation is high, and finance rates are significantly higher than they have been over the last few years. Also, demand still exceeds supply. These put upward pressure on used C8 prices.

On the other hand, last year was a record year for Corvette production, very close to 1979 if not surpassing it. If that production rate keeps up for the 2024 model year, supply will continue catching up with demand and delivery times will continue to decrease, at least for the Stingray. That puts downward pressure on used C8 prices. Also, some so called financial experts are predicting an economic downturn for 2024. If that happens, that also will put downward pressure on used C8 pricing.

If we do not enter a recession in 2024, I still expect used C8 Stingray prices to be high relative to previous Corvette generations, but lower than they are today. Even though used Z06 prices will decline from today, I expect they will still exceed MSRP because Z06 supply is nowhere close to catching up to demand and delivery times still are very long at dealerships selling at MSRP. The same may be true for E-rays, we'll see.

If we do enter a recession in 2024, I expect used C8 Stingray prices to fall back in line with those of previous generations. Z06 prices will decline more than if we don't have a recession, but still will exceed MSRP. Again, we'll have to see how supply and demand falls out for the E-ray.

Last edited by C8forT; 12-10-2023 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 03:21 PM
p4snow
Burning Brakes

Received 453 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron_Attleboro_MA
1-Sting, my wife tells friends and family that we are spending our 2-daugthers inheritance. She also says the nursing home will get less!
Happy to say our daughters are doing well and will only be better off with our leftovers!
My younger daughter likes sporty cars, so I hope she gets my Corvette, just not tomorrow.
Ron
It’s what we tell our kids every time we take an expensive vacation or when we bought the C8. If there was way to do it, I’d leave this earth with zero dollars in the bank. Our kids could have the house and all our personal stuff. They are all doing well and I doubt they will need what we have.

One of our granddaughters who is 8 was talking with her other grandfather the other day and he told her that when he passes she and her siblings will inherit it all. So she asked when that will happen. Smart kid, already planning for her future. Lol.
The following users liked this post:
kromdom (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 07:46 PM
IOSProKC
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 54 Posts

At least the C8 is doing a lot better than the 22 Audi e-tron. It's lost 35-45% since it came out.
2022 e-tron

Quick Reply: C8 depreciation musings