Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Conti Confirms Grand Sport Coming

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 09:33 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,522 Likes on 4,267 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I agree there is a market for the GS, and it doesn't have to be more than $10k more than the Stingray base price, as it was for the C7.

I disagree that the Z06 production is limited by the engine building. Each generation of Z06 has had a hand built engine, and if we remember 2016 saw over 14k Z06s produced.
The LT5 took about half as much time to build as the far more complex twin cam, 32 valve LT6. The LT6 takes two full shifts to complete.

That said, I've seen no evidence the engine is currently the limiting factor for Z06 production.
The following users liked this post:
hamta (11-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 09:51 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
Z06/ZR1 imposter IMO. I know others will disagree. I had just bought a new 2008 Z06 when GM introduced the GranSport, it was insulting and no I was not happy. It takes away exclusivity from high performance models that GM charges a premium for. Sure it sells, people love a cheap Z06 looking car. Sorry I have never liked it and never will.
The only people who care are those that buy Corvettes for looks.

Not exactly a crowd I'd really care what they thought.

Anyone who has driven one knows Grand Sports are the sweat spots of the model line.
GinCin (11-25-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 10:01 PM
Red rag
Burning Brakes

Received 921 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapid HTC
This is true My Dealer told me this also. Conti also does have 4 2024 C8s available including a Z06.
Very interesting! I’ve literally been on his “waitlist” since February 13th 2021. I wonder why this guy isn’t calling me? I’m guessing he screwed 4 folks out of their orders is how he has stock.
EVL-C8 (11-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 10:03 PM
wheelswithinwheels
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Well, I wouldn't go that far. He is just trying to make a living. What I don't like is him lecturing people for asking questions about delays in the car orders. It makes his otherwise harmless vids irritating. Oh, and his use of sound effects is terrible!

The guy that really bothers me in the "Brink of Speed" guy. Him and his posse....having their own live broadcast on Tuesday nights....boring!
Im not all over these forums like I used to be but I specifically remeber a thread in recent past that Conti was spewing exact same ****.
I had to double-check that this htread I'm reading here is new.
WTF is up w this dood Conti? Is he sick? WHy he lie so much? Why you defend?
Old 11-20-2023, 11:11 PM
winders
Burning Brakes

Received 1,196 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelswithinwheels
Stfu conti

Liar for clicks $$$$

Reprehensible pos
Originally Posted by winders
Well, I wouldn't go that far. He is just trying to make a living. What I don't like is him lecturing people for asking questions about delays in the car orders. It makes his otherwise harmless vids irritating. Oh, and his use of sound effects is terrible!

The guy that really bothers me in the "Brink of Speed" guy. Him and his posse....having their own live broadcast on Tuesday nights....boring!
Originally Posted by wheelswithinwheels
Im not all over these forums like I used to be but I specifically remeber a thread in recent past that Conti was spewing exact same ****.
I had to double-check that this htread I'm reading here is new.
WTF is up w this dood Conti? Is he sick? WHy he lie so much? Why you defend?
I didn't defend him. All I said is that I would not go as far as to say he is a "Reprehensible pos". His goal is to do whatever it takes to sell more cars. That's his job. Others can say what they want about him. Proceed....
Landru (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 06:51 AM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 884 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Korbek
Everyone wanting more Z06s to be made seems to not understand that C8 Z06s are production-limited due to the engine. They can only produce so many of those hand built engines so fast.

The market is there for a GS. Some of us love the Z06 body but HATE the electric motor crap in the Eray, not least of all bc of the weight it adds.

If a Grand Sport was introduced with 85k base price I'd jump on it like stink on ****.
It's not the engine that is the limiting factor. Otherwise, E-Rays would already be being churned out in droves. And the only way GS would be listed for 15k or less over SR is if GM decides that E-Ray needs to DIAF and the Z06 owners need a middle finger.

Oh, and becasue of the SUBSTANTIAL difference in tire width (as demonstrated by people who test-mounted SR wheels to a Z06)--you'd need the wider wheels. So now you have a slower SR variant that is your GS--and without the C/C brakes in order to get it to that coveted price point that the cheapskates want.
Old 11-21-2023, 07:48 AM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,025 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I agree there is a market for the GS, and it doesn't have to be more than $10k more than the Stingray base price, as it was for the C7.

I disagree that the Z06 production is limited by the engine building. Each generation of Z06 has had a hand built engine, and if we remember 2016 saw over 14k Z06s produced.
Oh my mistake then I thought at least some of them were just supercharged stingray engines. I'll admit to not being an expert on all this, so I probably shouldnt have tried to make such a definitive statement about the engine build speed. It's shocking to me they could hand assemble so many in a year.
Old 11-21-2023, 07:52 AM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,025 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
It's not the engine that is the limiting factor. Otherwise, E-Rays would already be being churned out in droves. And the only way GS would be listed for 15k or less over SR is if GM decides that E-Ray needs to DIAF and the Z06 owners need a middle finger.

Oh, and becasue of the SUBSTANTIAL difference in tire width (as demonstrated by people who test-mounted SR wheels to a Z06)--you'd need the wider wheels. So now you have a slower SR variant that is your GS--and without the C/C brakes in order to get it to that coveted price point that the cheapskates want.
Ok

Calling non Z06 vette buyers cheapskates but insinuating Z06 buyers arent is ridiculous. If your tastes are so discerning and money is no object just buy a McLaren and leave the vette forums be. Good grief.

Even IF a C8 GS is made AND is any slower at all than a base SR, I doubt it would be more than a tenth to 60. And even if it were more I wouldnt care. Some of us like the look (ish, that fat a-- shoulda been trimmed) and dont have our dooger and bubbles shrink just bc we arent the fastest kid on the block.

PS - both Eray and Z06 are slower in a straight line than a plaid. So if speed is your end goal you are in the wrong place. And unless youre a professional driver you arent going to notice a difference between a SR and a hypothetical C8 GS around a road course.

Last edited by Korbek; 11-21-2023 at 08:30 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Korbek:
Indy Jim (11-21-2023), JABCAT (11-22-2023), RiptideHTC (11-22-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 08:14 AM
Samuel Clemens
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 416 Posts

I just confirmed it with Mary Barra. Sam
Old 11-21-2023, 08:30 AM
Ken_C8
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 410 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '21

His "freakin' Z06" thing is irritating.
RiptideHTC (11-22-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 09:35 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,510 Likes on 781 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

In past generations the GS was offered as sales waned, kind of a last kick in the *** in the last couple years of generation production. Simplistically it is a wide body with the base engine. From what I am reading, we will have to get past ZR1, Zora, and if sales have waned, then GS. If 2029 is C9, I am guessing that means around 2027 we might see the GS.
Red Mist Rulz (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 09:47 AM
promethius
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by hamta
^^^^^Absolutely Agree. When Mike Furman says that a Grand Sport is coming, then I'll believe it!!!
Sorry Mike Furman......is just another car salesman. Full of hot air, like most!
RiptideHTC (11-22-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 10:59 AM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,522 Likes on 4,267 Posts

Originally Posted by promethius
Sorry Mike Furman......is just another car salesman. Full of hot air, like most!
You've just displayed your own ignorance, not Mike's.
The following 3 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
ChiefBoats (11-23-2023), Corvette ED (11-22-2023), hamta (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 11:05 AM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 884 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by gliot1
In past generations the GS was offered as sales waned, kind of a last kick in the *** in the last couple years of generation production. Simplistically it is a wide body with the base engine. From what I am reading, we will have to get past ZR1, Zora, and if sales have waned, then GS. If 2029 is C9, I am guessing that means around 2027 we might see the GS.
I can see a GS adopting the cosmetics of a Zora--since the Zora is already going to be in the 200k range without even trying. And that would possibly make sense as a last-gasp thing.

I'm probably one of the few who would go 100% the opposite direction of the GS lusting crowd. I'd rather have an SR with Z51 and the FWD system. No widebody. No C/C brakes. No wider tires. Probably lose a few lbs to boot. Ultimate sleeper.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:11 AM
hamta
Racer

Received 480 Likes on 189 Posts

You CLEARLY and OBVIOUSLY have no idea of what you're talking about! Furman is the Number One selling Corvette salesperson in the world and has been widely recognized throughout the Corvette Community (General Motors, NCRS, etc.) as a Corvette expert! Your opinion is completely baseless and clueless...
The following 3 users liked this post by hamta:
ChiefBoats (11-23-2023), Corvette ED (11-22-2023), tractman (11-24-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 11:15 AM
don.bernow@mts.com
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

For all you anti-GS naysayers, try this in your base SR. Turn off all the nannies and blast the loud pedal from a start and find out what happens. I bet most of you have never done that and have no idea what the nannies are doing. Even when you use the launch control, the nannies are keeping the car from looking like a Mustang meet. The GS8 would be absolutely awesome.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:20 AM
ChiefBoats

Location: NNCC No Name Car Crew Owned 1 C2, 2 C3's, 1 C4, 3 C5's, 1 C6, 2 C7's Now '81, '86, '03.
Received 3,941 Likes on 1,623 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C3 of the Year Wnner - Unmodified
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Mr. Furman has sold over 6,000 Corvettes, and your claim to fame is......?
The following 3 users liked this post by ChiefBoats:
Corvette ED (11-22-2023), hamta (11-21-2023), tractman (11-24-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To So Conti Confirms Grand Sport Coming

Old 11-21-2023, 11:30 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
I can see a GS adopting the cosmetics of a Zora--since the Zora is already going to be in the 200k range without even trying. And that would possibly make sense as a last-gasp thing.

I'm probably one of the few who would go 100% the opposite direction of the GS lusting crowd. I'd rather have an SR with Z51 and the FWD system. No widebody. No C/C brakes. No wider tires. Probably lose a few lbs to boot. Ultimate sleeper.
I agree, I don't see the big attraction of the GS for the street. I understand for the track it would be nice to have something with wide tires and a robust engine that you can beat on. But the advantage for the street would mostly be looks and, personally, I don't think the Z06/E-Ray looks that much better.

I mostly use my Z51 for touring with the occasional spirited driving through the twisties. The advantage of the Z51 for street use is it tightens up the feel of the Stingray and with MSRC you can still have a touring ride similar to the non-Z51. There are very little downsides for street, mainly brake dust and that can be addressed with different pads; and summer tires which isn't much of an issue where I live.

The wider tires and associated spring rates of a GS would bring more noise, rougher ride, more tramlining, weight, maintenance cost, etc. for very little return on the street other than looks, which are subjective.

I had an opportunity to "upgrade" my C7 MSRC Z51 to a GS for the difference in MSRP and I declined for the above reasons.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:32 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Originally Posted by don.bernow@mts.com
For all you anti-GS naysayers, try this in your base SR. Turn off all the nannies and blast the loud pedal from a start and find out what happens. I bet most of you have never done that and have no idea what the nannies are doing. Even when you use the launch control, the nannies are keeping the car from looking like a Mustang meet. The GS8 would be absolutely awesome.
How would a GS be much different?
Phil1098 (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 11:55 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,202 Likes on 593 Posts

I'm not sure everyone on this thread is a GS naysayer, just doubting the fact that GM is building one or that in the case that they do it would even be available anytime soon.

For me the widebody made more sense on the C7 since it was a far more noticeable difference on the street. The C8 Stingray is already a big car with a big body and unless I can see the boomerang on the side it's hard to tell that a C8 widebody is coming at me on the highway. It's just not that significant a difference. Even with that difference I was never tempted to sell my C7 Stingray and buy a Grand Sport but I was tempted more than once to sell it and move up to a Z06 or a ZR1.
The following 3 users liked this post by JDSKY:
3LZR21U (11-21-2023), RKCRLR (11-21-2023), StfDrmsRMadeOf (11-22-2023)

Quick Reply: So Conti Confirms Grand Sport Coming