Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought I Was Lucky Until Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 05:25 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,777 Likes on 3,185 Posts

Originally Posted by xxmr210xx
Good luck this happened to me and 3 months later after several trips to the dealer it was the transmission. Replaced the whole thing
W T H
Old 11-22-2023, 07:29 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^ I'm with him! The TRANS????
The following users liked this post:
StormTrooper R (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 09:11 PM
xxmr210xx
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Read over this post
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1607148931
Old 11-22-2023, 09:23 PM
FlyinLow
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Rky Mtn C6
As everyone figured, the battery was bad, and was replaced under warranty. I also felt the battery tender was bad, and asked for it to be replaced under warranty. Reason is the tender was hooked up for 10 days, and showed green lights the entire time. Even when I couldn't start the car, the tender would show green lights when hooked up. If the battery was bad, the green lights should not have been on. Dealer is going to test the tender. Regardless, I'm getting a portable battery jump box for future issues, just in case.
Bad cells in battery cause all kinds of weird issues. As I mentioned before, had one go bad in our pickup this summer. Put my big Craftsmen charger on it and it showed charge within a half hour, and the vehicle started fine. Two hours later the battery was completely dead. Put the charger back on it and again it charged full in a half hour, started the vehicle, drove it on some errands, everything was fine. Parked it in the garage and two hours later it was dead. Replaced the battery and have had no issues since. Likely your tender is fine, not sure how the dealer can check to see if its working properly.
Old 11-24-2023, 03:04 PM
jetjoc4809
1st Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Took delivery of my 2023 coupe at the beginning of September. Car has 1,000 miles on it. Trouble-free until today.

Upon opening passenger door, noted chime ringing. Attempted to start car, but would not start. Display illuminated and showed following screens:

Low Battery
Service Power Steering System
Windshield Washer Fluid Low
Service Windshield Washer System
Service Theft Alarm
NOTE: Car is always attached to GM battery maintainer while parked in garage, and had been connected to maintainer for 10 days prior to problem.

Attempted to reset system by leaving door open 15 minutes and then closing. It was unsuccessful. Disconnected negative terminal of battery in an attempt to reset. Reconnected and attempted to start. Successfully started the car. Let car run a few minutes, and then shut down. Reconnected battery maintainer.

Attempted to start car later in the day in order to re-index windows. Would not start. Display showed same screens as noted above. Attempted battery disconnect again to reset, but it was unsuccessful. Reconnected battery cable and plugged in maintainer. After about 1 hour attempted to start car, and was successful. Let vehicle run about 30 minutes. Shutdown and attached battery maintainer.

We’ll see what happens next.
I have a 2023 ZO6 convertible, one of the earliest deliveries in December 2022. From the day I took delivery in Florida I have had continuous battery issues. With less than 50 miles on the vehicle I delivered it to a high end detail shop to have it ceramic coated and bras installed. We left on a trip overseas over the holidays and did not return for almost three weeks. Upon my arrival at the shop I discovered the battery was absolutely dead, so dead that the door would not open without the emergency key. It goes without saying that the engine would not turn over, so the shop put a booster on the battery and was able to start it. After going through the drill of cycling windows and resetting preferences I took a long enough drive to verify that the battery recharged, and the only remaining issue was the engine light stayed on. However, that cured itself within a couple of days so I cancelled my appointment at the dealer and chalked it up to a battery below full charge at delivery and a ball dropped by the detail shop in not running the engine.
Wishful thinking! After a couple more episodes like this in my garage where the battery was so dead I was unable to open the door. Neither could I gain access to the battery without the emergency mechanical cable. I finally decided to leave the car with my Corvette mechanic at my dealership, a guy who races Vettes and did great work sorting out issues on my C7 ZO6. Mind you, on each occasion my battery went dead in less than two weeks. While I did not have my Corvette battery charger connected, on those occasions when I did the charger never reached green - a full charge, and became quite hot to the touch.
My mechanic, after a couple of days of diagnosis, concluded that the battery was in excellent shape; it tested 97% after several charge recharge cycles. So there had to be a system issue causing this problem. Corroborating that theory he found that database updates were inoperative. It took over 6 gigabytes of data to bring it up to date. So he asked me to drive the car for 30 days or so to see if the problem was solved by the updates. But over the next two months, after two more replays of this debacle, I made another appointment to bring the car in for evaluation by the Chevrolet Engineering team to sort this out once and for all. They kept the car for two weeks doing remote satellite diagnosis with the engineering team. My mechanic became frustrated with the slow pace of progress and confided in me that the radio module was found to be defective fairly early on (the unit that receives transmissions for software updates), but it took two weeks of continuous testing before the team finally authorized a part replacement. Although my mechanic had diagnosed that same issue months before, he was unable to order the part on warranty without factory approval.
After replacement of the module my mechanic ran a test on battery draw. For an unattended parked vehicle I was told that the residual draw on the battery should not exceed 10 milliamps - yet mine was over 100 milliamps! To make a long story a bit shorter, after two more weeks of testing each system (each has its own module that acts as a circuit breaker) my mechanic finally was able to isolate the culprit. I know this will sound ridiculous but It turned out that the passenger seat lumbar support actuator was the culprit. After disconnecting and disabling it the draw dropped to 9 milliamps. A new actuator was ordered but was supply constrained for three weeks. Who cared?
I now have driven the car for nearly two months and everything seems to work perfectly. The battery remains fully charged without a charger and software updates are automatically completed. I realize I might have gone on for too long in my story, but the bottom line for those of you having battery drain issues is that the problem had nothing to do with my battery. My mechanic said that the factory engineers revealed to him that the C8 ZO6 has 600 modules! So the statistical probability of a module failure is much higher than you might think. Check your current draw right away if you are experiencing battery failures. And even if you find excessive current draw don't think you're out of the woods. The modules you need to access to disable electronic circuits are quite inaccessible - requiring removal of the battery in the frunk for the systems in the front of the car and removal of the vertical stainless steel trim between the seats to access the rear system controls- not a do it yourselfer job!
Hope this is helpful for those who find themselves in similar situations.

The following 6 users liked this post by jetjoc4809:
Dads2kconvertible (11-24-2023), Didier9 (11-26-2023), gnt (11-26-2023), hamta (11-25-2023), LIE2ME (11-26-2023), RonC7 (11-25-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-25-2023, 07:52 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

As everyone figured, the battery was bad, and was replaced under warranty. I also felt the battery tender was bad, and asked for it to be replaced under warranty. Reason is the tender was hooked up for 10 days, and showed green lights the entire time. Even when I couldn't start the car, the tender would show green lights when hooked up. If the battery was bad, the green lights should not have been on. Dealer is going to test the tender. Regardless, I'm getting a portable battery jump box for future issues, just in case.
I bet your maintainer is still good.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:16 AM
gnt

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
USAF

This thread screams, buy an extended warranty.

Exactly what I’ll be doing!

Old 11-26-2023, 07:52 AM
Didier9
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

The battery tender does not check for the battery's internal resistance. It is a low current device. When you start the car, the current draw (even before you start the engine) is greater (for a short time) than what the battery tender provides. The car's computer will notice the voltage drop before the battery tender does.
When a new battery goes bad, it's usually a bad connection between elements inside the battery. Like all bad connections, it is usually intermittent and can change depending on temperature, mechanical shock and the actual current you are trying to get in or out of the battery.
Old 11-26-2023, 08:07 AM
Didier9
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by gnt
This thread screams, buy an extended warranty.
Exactly what I’ll be doing!
I got the extended service contract on both cars for just this reason. It removes the "need approval from GM for warranty repair" from the equation.
I rarely take extended service contracts on cars, but it's been a while since I bought a new car and the cost and complexity of electronics in modern cars is getting a bit out of hand.
So far, before the Corvettes, I had it on three (used) cars and it did pay off on two! (a '1991 Maxima with a bad torque converter and a '2013 Infiniti FX37 with a bad transmission valve body). In both cases, the repair cost was the same or higher than what I paid for the service contract. The 3rd one was an '05 Altima V6 and if I had paid attention to the noise when it started, it would have paid for the timing chain tensioner. Instead, I waited until the service contract had expired...
Old 11-26-2023, 08:36 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,583 Likes on 1,647 Posts

... Attempted to start car, but would not start. Display illuminated and showed following screens:
Low Battery
Service Power Steering System
Windshield Washer Fluid Low
Service Windshield Washer System
Service Theft Alarm
Had a similar problem on my wife's 2019 Equinox. Good news, it was just the battery; bad news, we were charged a $350.00 "Diagnosis Fee" for the mechanic to figure out it was the $150.00 battery. Total charges were over $500.00.....
Old 11-26-2023, 08:51 AM
TensionED
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Dads2kconvertible
These from Anti-Gravity come in various capacities and are 15% off right now. I have one that's about ten years old that won't start a vehicle any more but still works fine for powering a laptop or recharging phones.
Thanks Angus (ha ha). Though do you have to use the clamps attached to the battery or would it also work plugging into the 12v outlet in the frunk?

Quick Reply: Thought I Was Lucky Until Today