Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: are you comfortable owning a c8 with no powertrain warranty, such as expired warranty
yes
21.69%
no
78.31%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

are you comfortable owning a c8 with no powertrain warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 01:04 AM
ZipZap
Race Director

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Received 288 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by GaryPitts
And make sure you don't buy it until 1month before your 3/36 expires. If you buy it at purchase time you essentially lose 3 years.
Always have to chuckle...
Old 11-19-2023, 01:19 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,435 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

With all the tech and new components (DCT in particular), I would want an extended warranty for as long as possible if I had plans to keep the car for a long time.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 01:36 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

I bought an extended warranty that covers the drive train. I will be well into my eighties when it expires. If it breaks then, so be it.
My12thVette (11-20-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 01:49 AM
switchlanez
Drifting

Received 1,223 Likes on 691 Posts

Interesting poll results. I also voted no but if it were a Toyota, I don't think the results would be so skewed towards "no." My family and I alone have bought multiple Toyotas used with over 100k miles. And old Toyota forums still thrive with barely an original owners left (mostly used Toyota owners). If I had to buy a higher mileage Lexus LC 500 today, warranty wouldn't be a top concern. If I had to buy a car out of warranty, Toyota/Lexus is the first brand I'd look for.

People have called my thinking "odd" for expressing some hesitation with Chevy's reliability (engine being the least worrisome among all else by far). But with the majority voting "no" in this poll, an I really the odd man out?

Last edited by switchlanez; 11-19-2023 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:01 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,018 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Warranties? Ask yourself this question "do you feel lucky? Well, do ya?"
Old 11-19-2023, 07:24 AM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 626 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by mortelec
I wouldn't trust a dealer working on anything of mine even if I had warranty. I would still fix it myself.
I agree totally!!
Such a shame I cringe at the thought a Chevy mechanic swapping out my dct.
My past experiences with them is terrible.
Waterline (11-20-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 09:12 AM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 285 Posts

I bought an extended warranty (expensive) on my M5 but the really expensive breakdown did not happen until after that extended warranty had expired. Any smaller repairs that I had done did not cover the cost of the warranty.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:38 AM
ctk339
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Having the people at the dealership work on it is almost as scary as no warranty
Waterline (11-20-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 09:49 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Yes. Unfounded fear sells these warranties.

The following 2 users liked this post by Walt White Coupe:
ArizonaZ06 (11-19-2023), Shady 2jz (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 06:39 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Received 679 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by KittyHeart
eventually, the powertrain warranty on the c8 will expire, leaving owners with a potential $22,000 bill if the dct fails without warranty

new c8 buyers may sell their cars once warranty's up, and used c8 buyers may be left with hefty bills should the dct fail

the potential dct failure out of warranty (5 years manufacturer + 3 years extended) is keeping me from buying the c8 with confidence, making a used c7 purchase seem less problematic

i plan to keep the car 10-20 years

are you comfortable owning a c8 with no powertrain warranty?
The longest I've ever owned a vehicle was my 2004 Ford SVT Lightning, March 2004 through January 2011.

I was confident I could remove/replace any component on that vehicle with the tools in my garage over one weekend.

I only kept it that long because it was perfect and irreplaceable (and I still miss it). The giggles per dollar was roughly double what my C8 HTC delivers.

Otherwise I own cars 2-3 years. My '23 HTC will be a memory long before the warranty runs out.
Waterline (11-20-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 08:18 PM
kromdom
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by sshallen
The longest I've ever owned a vehicle was my 2004 Ford SVT Lightning, March 2004 through January 2011.

I was confident I could remove/replace any component on that vehicle with the tools in my garage over one weekend.

I only kept it that long because it was perfect and irreplaceable (and I still miss it). The giggles per dollar was roughly double what my C8 HTC delivers.

Otherwise I own cars 2-3 years. My '23 HTC will be a memory long before the warranty runs out.
Of all the cars that I have owned, I miss my 02 Lightning THE MOST. I even have fantasies of tracking it down and buying it back
sshallen (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 09:19 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kromdom
Of all the cars that I have owned, I miss my 02 Lightning THE MOST. I even have fantasies of tracking it down and buying it back
I know where mine is, but it's been bubba'ed a little. Man, loved that truck. Everyone expects a Corvette to be fast, when you pull a five second 0-60 in a farm vehicle, jaws dropped.

Old 11-19-2023, 09:27 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Maybe it influenced my build?

Old 11-20-2023, 10:23 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryPitts
And make sure you don't buy it until 1month before your 3/36 expires. If you buy it at purchase time you essentially lose 3 years.
Is that how it works? I thought when you buy an 'extended' warranty it extends the existing warranty to that time. It still uses the cars original purchase date as the starting date for the warranty, original or extended... So waiting to the end of your factory warranty before buying an extended warranty doesn't help you. Your probably going to end up paying more for it as I don't see these warranty costs going down, only UP.
Old 11-20-2023, 10:57 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,203 Likes on 3,404 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedUp
Is that how it works? I thought when you buy an 'extended' warranty it extends the existing warranty to that time. It still uses the cars original purchase date as the starting date for the warranty, original or extended... So waiting to the end of your factory warranty before buying an extended warranty doesn't help you. Your probably going to end up paying more for it as I don't see these warranty costs going down, only UP.
The best value for the Chevrolet Platinum Protection Plan depends on your particular circumstances. Some things you need to consider:

The duration and mileage starts on the day you purchase the plan and is added to vehicle's existing age and mileage.

You need to purchase the plan at least 30 days before your Bumper to Bumper warranty expires.

There are annual price increases (~$100) that usually occur on October 1.

There is a significant (more than $500) price increase once your car has 12K miles or more on it.

As far as I can tell there is no difference in cost whether you have a no-option 1LT or a loaded 3LT HTC MSRC Z51.

It is a balancing act for your particular circumstances. My B2B expires in December. For me the sweet spot was a 7 year/56K mile/$0 deductible service contract purchased for $1429 at the end of September with ~11K miles on my car from Todd at Macmulkin. YMMV.
Vate (12-05-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 11:10 AM
moncal90
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by switchlanez
Interesting poll results. I also voted no but if it were a Toyota, I don't think the results would be so skewed towards "no." My family and I alone have bought multiple Toyotas used with over 100k miles. And old Toyota forums still thrive with barely an original owners left (mostly used Toyota owners). If I had to buy a higher mileage Lexus LC 500 today, warranty wouldn't be a top concern. If I had to buy a car out of warranty, Toyota/Lexus is the first brand I'd look for.

People have called my thinking "odd" for expressing some hesitation with Chevy's reliability (engine being the least worrisome among all else by far). But with the majority voting "no" in this poll, an I really the odd man out?

You may not be the odd man out with this poll and I can't fault you for feeling that way. However, I voted Yes, I am comfortable. The DCT will be repairable in the future, as mentioned they are already adding the service procedures for the clutches, so a full swap won't be the norm at some point in the future. I'm comfortable with GMs long term quality, I'm most likely the odd man out on this. I've got a 2003 Corvette that is still humming along nicely after 20 years. I've owned multiple other GM vehicles that have well over 100k miles on them and none of them required warranty work or repairs. I will say the more and more electronics that are added to these vehicles does worry me for long term ownership.
The following 2 users liked this post by moncal90:
LE MANSZ (11-20-2023), Shady 2jz (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 11:25 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 568 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedUp
The coverage overlaps the B2B. Waiting until just before the B2B runs out OR before you get to 12K extends the coverage from that point thus eliminating the "double" coverage. They would always state "you buy now because the price is going to go up in 30+- months for the same plan" so out of fear I would purchase it right away. The increases have been modest over the years so if you have to pay 500-800 more you make that up by not paying for what is covered by the B2B. I got a quote on my 2016 C7 and my 2016 CTS when new. Waited 34 months and got a quote for the same policy. I got 3 additional years of coverage on the C7 for 280 more and on the CTS it was less than 200 more after the "price increases" sales pitch. The odds are never in our favor but the math does not make sense to pay for duplicate coverage because it might or will go up.
LE MANSZ (11-20-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To are you comfortable owning a c8 with no powertrain warranty?

Old 11-20-2023, 07:16 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,239 Likes on 3,472 Posts

If the mileage or time have already expired on the factory warranty and nothing untoward happened until then, of course I'd go for it. But, in reality the only vehicles I've bought used for decades are vintage collectibles which never have such warranties.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:22 PM
NoMatter
Trackfecta
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 754 Likes on 385 Posts

The biggest fear most are seeing is every time something simple in the DCT goes out, out of sync, and such. GM just replaces the whole thing. Understandably from their side at this point. They are going through them testing with more R&D getting to let's say middle ground. This way when the smaller issues come about in and outside of warranty they will know or be able to tell how and what to exactly to diagnose the issues/ part. For now they are just doing a full replacement. I know this doesn't ease most but this is where and how it's going to be. GM doesn't want to keep replacing whole transmissions and keep forking that cost. It doesn't seem so calming now and GM for sure isn't transparent as the should be (pretty much not at all) and not solving the problems quick enough but they are on it.

I haven't seen one DCT just go out from gears, shafts, shift forks, and so on. Pretty much the good stuff. All the issues are from cleanliness in many factors, valve bodies issues, sensors, parking prowl, and so on. Yes some and most of these will have to have the DCT dropped and opened. But more or less a straight forward affair. At least for the experienced ones and there will be a price to it but it's not a whole DCT which I feel some get weary of.

A lot of the aftermarket top shops in the country already know what some underlining issues are from the few I've talked to and they all communicate with each other on a common ground. Together a lot has been solved on that level. Shops just no longer come to the forums and disclose what they can do anymore. The community and the harshness from the people as a whole is why they care less to help as they once did. They are tired of it. People have become so nasty and always pawn it off as '' It's the internet, don't take it personally''. Lol. Like that excuses the person behind the screen. This is why no one helps anymore. Say what you wish, especially when let's say you can't get your car fixed and no one knows how when there are a lot of good people who really know how. I've heard this first hand from a lot of shops.

Moving on there are great shops who really have more knowledge than any manufacture on their own product. You just have to be involved and do business with these shops. They are just not going to put it out there. There so many people that highly modify their cars that are not even remotely on any sites and there is a lot to learn there. Most people here really just don't know there's another world out there and advice and suggestions are not always free or willing. For myself I don't want ANY dealer performing any work. Warranty or not. Unless it's something simple under warranty. Even then the back logs always seems like you can't get in. I'd rather do it myself or have a good shop just do it and most likely upgrade the weak links as I go. I know, a lot of people are just wanting a great looking normal functioning car and I understand that too. Hassle free and it should be. But it's not realistic these days. Hard choices all around and they all come with a high financial cost when we already paid a big cost getting in.

Last edited by NoMatter; 11-20-2023 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2023, 10:05 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,151 Likes on 879 Posts

If anyone needed a reason to think C8 prices will drop like a rock soon it's this thread.

If this many owners don't want to own the cars after 5 years because of perceived cost issues there is no way this car won't have the same depreciation curve as every other Corvette.
The following 2 users liked this post by spireland:
KittyHeart (11-21-2023), Zaro Tundov (11-21-2023)

Quick Reply: are you comfortable owning a c8 with no powertrain warranty?