Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple Car Play MY24 Lament

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 09:51 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
LOL. If you get to define your own terms, then you can reach any conclusion you want. Fact is Samsung sells more phones than Apple. Period.
Terms are US smart phones. Apple leads, dominates in revenue, and totally dominates in gross profit.

I get it. A kid in Tijuana trading in broken glass to buy a $59 phone that can barely load one app ain't an iPhone prospect, but he can be a happy 'Droid user. And counts as a "unit".

Entire 'Droid target market:

1 - Improverished third world.
2 - Cheap as possible USA prepaids.
3 - "IT Pros" (break/fix PC help desk dudes) who have "Special Needs" (LOL) and need "More control than you get with a cult phone".

#1 and #2 would SNAP at an iPhone but they can't afford it. #3 would NEVER do whatever is popular, for... "reasons"! And they point to Samsung and run lesser brands.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:56 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,197 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by sshallen
Terms are US smart phones. Apple leads, dominates in revenue, and totally dominates in gross profit.

I get it. A kid in Tijuana trading in broken glass to buy a $59 phone that can barely load one app ain't an iPhone prospect, but he can be a happy 'Droid user. And counts as a "unit".

Entire 'Droid target market:

1 - Improverished third world.
2 - Cheap as possible USA prepaids.
3 - "IT Pros" (break/fix PC help desk dudes) who have "Special Needs" (LOL) and need "More control than you get with a cult phone".

#1 and #2 would SNAP at an iPhone but they can't afford it. #3 would NEVER do whatever is popular, for... reasons!
Some apps that I use are only available on Android phones, that is what drives my decision.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 04-22-2024 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:04 AM
65nassau
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Andybump
1. Reading the 2024 Owners Manual - no subscription is required to support Apple or Android CarPlay. Related: Apparently when using the CarPlay, the 2024 display adds an additional row on the upper display, and a column on the left side of the display - showing operating system related icons - that causes the actual CarPlay display to be "smaller" than it is in prior model years. Images of this have been posted on other threads to confirm it as fact. Users have reported that is feature is annoying.

2. Use of the 2024 built-in navigation system (not to be confused with the use of CarPlay use of phone based navigation apps) does require a subscription for "full functionality", whatever that means. Per the Owner's Manual for 2024: "The Navigation software is provided by Google Maps........Google Maps relies on a subscription data plan for full functionality, including availability of offline maps. With an applicable connected services plan, Google Maps can be used offline when driving through connectivity dead zones by auto-downloading offline maps prior to going offline." Related: As far as I know, it has not yet been reported as to what, if any, built-in navigation functionality remains when there is not subscription.

3. Hands-free calling: At least one forum member has reported issues with hands-free calling using a phone connected via bluetooth. This may, or may not be operator error. The 2024 Manual says, in the Bluetooth section: "The vehicle’s Bluetooth system can interact with a mobile device to: Place and receive calls in a hands-free mode.......Vehicles with a Bluetooth system can use a Bluetooth-capable mobile device with a Hands-Free Profile to make and receive phone calls. The infotainment system and voice recognition are used to control the system." It does not say that a subscription if required for that, and does not mention Google Assistant in that context.

There has been a discussion about whether the Google Assistant is required to support hands-free calling and if so, is a subscription required to do that. The manual never explicitly says that. It does not mention Google Assistant in the context of hands-free calling. It does mention Google Assistant in the context of "hands-free use of media and messaging, navigation and climate control functionality in the vehicle." And it goes on to say: "However, not all features within these areas are supported by voice commands and requires the user to have a valid data subscription plan or connected to WiFi in order to use some of the Google Assistant features." I think we need more reports from forum members about the use of hands free calling before concluding that is does not work without a subscription.
I just say hey Siri call xxx and calls get placed…
The following users liked this post:
winders (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 10:21 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,199 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Some apps that I use are only available on Android phones, that is what drives my decision.
This. My wife and I use PCs and you can do text messaging from a PC with Android, but you can't with iPhone. I can even text from my iPad (using Chrome browser) using an Android phone, if Apple would open up their texting to allow connectivity to PC, I'd switch in a heartbeat as Android/iPhone is close to a toss up for general use now.
RKCRLR (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 03:55 PM
ralph tq
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line - I was able to simultaneously connect a phone as a device supporting CarPlay and also as an external network - that will provide data to infotainment system - to support on-board apps (like the weather channel app).

Will any of this carry over to the 2024? I don't know. I have not seen any posted images of the 2024 menus for set up of the WiFi hotspot or the WiFi networks.

@Andybump My 2024 worked exactly the same way as you described in the post above. Unfortunately we lost some screen "real estate" in 2024 but Carplay apps and Google apps worked simultaneously.
Andybump (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 04:30 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Hmm, OnStar trial is gone. Have NAV working with my iPhone 15Pro, thanks to all who made suggestions.

BUT now I no longer have the speed limit on the road showing in any Drive Mode! Looks like my short trial to OnStar (canceled soon after I accepted BUT was active to end March) must have been what was showing local street speeds. BUT I was seeing early April, now not sure what was providing local speed limit?

Am I going to be forced to pay google? Who probably gives the monies to GM while they steal any info they can detect like where I am and show a discount to a store I pass!

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play MY24 Lament