Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

These trims and options are rubbish--anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 06:49 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,239 Likes on 3,472 Posts

Old 10-29-2023, 07:01 PM
22c8z51
Pro

Received 383 Likes on 196 Posts

Buy the appearance parts and customize it after taking delivery.
Old 10-29-2023, 08:03 PM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 70 Posts

Old 10-29-2023, 09:06 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,419 Likes on 14,038 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
No car is perfect. The C8 is a mass produced car built to a price point. With a few exceptions, every car maker bundles options into packages, and you take what the package offers or look elsewhere. No car can meet everyone's desires. The C8 is a damn good compromise at the price point. If it doesn't meet your needs or desires, there are only two options: Decide you really don't need everything you want, or shop elsewhere. GM isn't going to start custom building C8s just to make you happy. That's reality, and complaining won't change it.

You have more chance of finding a 911 with every option you want sitting in a dealer's showroom that you do getting GM to change the way it bundles options.

Yes, the choice is to compromise, no matter what. No matter what brand or model you buy, you're compromising. Even Porsche, with probably more options than anyone else, forces you to compromise. On price, on availability, on engine (where's the V8?), and more. Until you're rich enough to order custom built automobiles, compromise is a fact of life.
Very well said and quite true. GM offers build options that they feel will be acceptable to the vast majority of prospective buyers at a price point that will sell the car and with complexity of manufacturing in mind.

They cannot possibly make everyone 100% happy with the choices available since every individual has different likes and wants - just the way it is. If you don’t like the choices that are available, and it means you won’t be able to compromise on your desires, then as others have said, perhaps a C8 is just not the car for you. Maybe another manufacturer can more closely match what you want in a build, albeit probably not at a comparable price point when matching the performance numbers.

Best of luck in whatever decision you make - it is a lot of money to not be happy.
The following users liked this post:
3LZR21U (10-29-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 12:02 AM
GTS Bruce
Burning Brakes

Received 511 Likes on 303 Posts

Just cough up some $. Have the entire interior torn out and replaced to your spec. All with higher quality leather etc.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:25 AM
MVRider
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
According to the configurator pictures, there's a very visible difference in 2LZ vs 3LZ with respect to the trim panels. If you have it on MF sky-cool-grey, you can see what I mean. A-Pillars (And vents), B-Pillars, trim below the rear window, glovebox, etc. This is maddening to me. Because I detest the CF steering wheel & stitching, and the stitching on the door cards. And the light colors on these panels really does change the interior feel substantially. There's also no option to get the steering-wheel center color-matched to the seats. Someone clearly had a fetish for contrast stitching. And puking CF all over a car doesn't inherently improve feng shui.

I also don't see anywhere to opt for a non leather dash, and get a MF one instead. And there's no dipped option on sky-cool-grey so the best you can configure is mostly black interior, or go for panda.

Stealth interior trim package doesn't include paddle-shifters, gear selector trim, drive mode **** (only the trim), the badge on the bottom of the steering wheel, cupholder trim, pedals and footrest, etc. Would have been nice to have the door sills match on this also.

ZER requires you to get summer tires. So if you want Magnetic Selective Ride Control, you can't get all-season tires.

No option to get CF nacelles and A-Pillars--without the roof being CF also.

No option for factory debadging. Which is especially frustrating when some of it is being applied by the dealership at the terminal delivery point.

Stealth emblem doesn't appear to apply to any other badging on the exterior (z06, eray, CORVETTE lettering, etc).

No HTC see-through panel; only the interior cover. So you need to go aftermarket HTC mod to get that on the outside, and the inside panel isn't as well done as various aftermarket ones.

No factory-tinted options for the tail-lights (even RAM pickups have this on some models). Call me crazy, but I don't think RED works on colors that aren't monochromatic. Oh, and 6th gen Camaro exemplifies what could be done to minimize the color (as opposed to C7 WHITE z06 tails)--so it's not like Chevy doesn't know how to dark-tint them.

No RGB ambient lighting option.

---
Sorry for the rant. These just seem like obvious, glaring oversights that could have been corrected. And I wouldn't even mind paying a bit more to have additional flexibility on this stuff.
I was an Army officer for 36 years and I have had heard some good whining about a number of things but you are probably one of the most creative whiners I have heard.
The following 10 users liked this post by MVRider:
BlaznZ06 (10-30-2023), BMadden (10-30-2023), EC145Pilot (11-02-2023), GinCin (11-05-2023), kromdom (11-17-2023), markei (11-02-2023), Phil1098 (10-30-2023), tadda (10-30-2023), Undy (11-02-2023), Vega$Vette (10-30-2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-30-2023, 07:05 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,649 Likes on 6,648 Posts

Sorry for the rant. These just seem like obvious, glaring oversights that could have been corrected. And I wouldn't even mind paying a bit more to have additional flexibility on this stuff.
Hmm, yep that is why some buy the Bugatti Chiron where you can pic all the details for wherever you want! Even pick the cow (unborn Calf, Lamb, Ostridge, Alligator, Gazelle) you want the leather to come from! And you're in luck the 1st official showroom opened in London. Just fly there and pick exactly what you want. Might as well fly first class or in your own plane as compared to the $3,000,000 price tag, that's cheap!

You do have some errors I'll point out. Your statement in Red:

ZER requires you to get summer tires. So if you want Magnetic Selective Ride Control, you can't get all-season tires. Yep I have the ZER Performance Option on my E-Ray build (now @ 3000.) It's only $500 but as Tadge has quantified it ONLY includes the Z06 Performance tires versus All Season. That is the tire cost difference. ALL E-Ray's come standard with MRC. Tadge said it's the same suspension and settings. Unlike other Vettes where they caution about switching say Base C8 all season to Z51 summer tires as there are suspension differences that match tires they found in testing that was no need with the E-Ray.

No option for factory debadging. Which is especially frustrating when some of it is being applied by the dealership at the terminal delivery point. Actually all factory badges are attached with double sided tape. I understand they may include a package of waxed dentil floss as that is all you (or your detailer) need to remove badges.

Sorry for the rant. These just seem like obvious, glaring oversights that could have been corrected. And I wouldn't even mind paying a bit more to have additional flexibility on this stuff Since you don't mind paying more just take my Bugatti Chiron suggestion!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-30-2023 at 07:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JerryU:
Korbek (10-30-2023), RKCRLR (10-30-2023), winders (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 07:40 AM
frankjr
Burning Brakes

Received 699 Likes on 405 Posts

Back in the day you could hand pick options now most manufacturers bundle items, this will be my second C8 and IMO the best all-around sports car for $$$.
Love my 2LT package with GT2 seats.
Old 10-30-2023, 09:35 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
How dare you being critical and point out flaws as you see them in the perfect best bang for the buck Chevy C8.
Flaws are one thing personal preference is another. I’m sure we could all find things we don’t like about everything we encounter in our daily life but then we would be miserable all the time. Some people thrive on negativity and I think we have a good number of them here on our forums. I feel the OP feels miserable about something and just wants to share his misery with others. You know the old saying “misery loves company “.
BMadden (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 09:51 AM
Deus_Meridius
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised with customization options when I went to build by C8, considering it's price point
Wife said I could (11-02-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 09:52 AM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,552 Likes on 4,279 Posts

Carravagio will be happy to remake the interior any way you want, for a price.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
Racer X (11-02-2023), THX_ZORA (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 09:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDSC8VETTE
Flaws are one thing personal preference is another. I’m sure we could all find things we don’t like about everything we encounter in our daily life but then we would be miserable all the time. Some people thrive on negativity and I think we have a good number of them here on our forums. I feel the OP feels miserable about something and just wants to share his misery with others. You know the old saying “misery loves company “.
Easy solution! Build your own as I did 23 years ago, still going fine (today mostly to Car Shows!)

I picked the amount of rear end narrowing and "tub." Also the amount of engine set back in the very ridged TCI chassis. Visited them in CA and picked coilovers and disk brakes in all 4 corners. Turned out the 3000 lb Street Rod has 53% of its weight on the 16.5" section width Mickey Thompson tires. The judges like it as well!

Assembled its 8.2 Liter Chevy 502/502 engine from some 30 boxes that came in a large wood crate.

With set back engine and tubs no room for a rear seat so made a "sound wall." Had an "interior artist" produce an award-winning car! Fixed price, took 3 folks 3 weeks and never told me he was going to match the exterior flame!
Old 10-30-2023, 10:00 AM
bthibodeaux
Burning Brakes

Received 715 Likes on 415 Posts

According to the configurator pictures, there's a very visible difference in 2LZ vs 3LZ with respect to the trim panels. If you have it on MF sky-cool-grey, you can see what I mean. A-Pillars (And vents), B-Pillars, trim below the rear window, glovebox, etc. This is maddening to me. Because I detest the CF steering wheel & stitching, and the stitching on the door cards. And the light colors on these panels really does change the interior feel substantially. There's also no option to get the steering-wheel center color-matched to the seats. Someone clearly had a fetish for contrast stitching. And puking CF all over a car doesn't inherently improve feng shui.

I also don't see anywhere to opt for a non leather dash, and get a MF one instead. And there's no dipped option on sky-cool-grey so the best you can configure is mostly black interior, or go for panda.

Stealth interior trim package doesn't include paddle-shifters, gear selector trim, drive mode **** (only the trim), the badge on the bottom of the steering wheel, cupholder trim, pedals and footrest, etc. Would have been nice to have the door sills match on this also.

ZER requires you to get summer tires. So if you want Magnetic Selective Ride Control, you can't get all-season tires.

No option to get CF nacelles and A-Pillars--without the roof being CF also.

No option for factory debadging. Which is especially frustrating when some of it is being applied by the dealership at the terminal delivery point.

Stealth emblem doesn't appear to apply to any other badging on the exterior (z06, eray, CORVETTE lettering, etc).

No HTC see-through panel; only the interior cover. So you need to go aftermarket HTC mod to get that on the outside, and the inside panel isn't as well done as various aftermarket ones.

No factory-tinted options for the tail-lights (even RAM pickups have this on some models). Call me crazy, but I don't think RED works on colors that aren't monochromatic. Oh, and 6th gen Camaro exemplifies what could be done to minimize the color (as opposed to C7 WHITE z06 tails)--so it's not like Chevy doesn't know how to dark-tint them.

No RGB ambient lighting option.

---

I think they are just looking to protect you from yourself....
BMadden (10-30-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 01:27 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

You raise some good points but they’re mixed in with very subjective takes and some wrong info.

All E-Rays have MSRC. ZER is basically a tire package.
Old 11-02-2023, 06:37 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

as soon as i saw 'LZ' i quit reading. somethings can't be fixed....
Old 11-02-2023, 07:07 AM
lyri
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 STING
IMO, Bugatti would likely have a difficult time complying with your taste. Your glass is not even half empty, it is empty. Anyone who looks at the Vette's order guide will know there are hundreds of combinations for a personal build and if you can't find a single combination to satisfy your complex taste the Corvette is certainly not for you.

Just being straight forward, you ask we reply. Not intended to be offensive.

George
eh there’s technically a lot of options, but for me at least what mattered most was the color combinations. And GM offered **** all in that regard. It’s was terrible trying to find complimenting colors for the interior + exterior forcing me to go with black interiors, which work but I’m not particularly happy about.

most the exteriors were pretty bland too.

wasn’t enough to dissuade me from getting it, but at the same time the lack of decent color choices will always be my biggest critique
The following 2 users liked this post by lyri:
3LZR21U (11-02-2023), One Vettey Boi (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 07:53 AM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 897 Likes on 591 Posts

Black is the "we gave up on creativity and imagination" option by GM. I'll bet that over 90% of the C8 generation will have black interior trim panels. Because the only ones without will be pretty much 3LT/3LZ equivalent with dipped red or natural, SCG or artemis. Which really leads me down the 3LZ SCG route.

Basic design principle suggests that small rooms get painted light colors to maximize the space and minimize claustrophobic feel. Why should 2-seat cars be any different?
The following 2 users liked this post by 3LZR21U:
djp2313 (11-02-2023), MitchSpence (11-17-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To These trims and options are rubbish--anyone else?

Old 11-02-2023, 08:34 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,614 Likes on 4,642 Posts

Basic design principle suggests that small rooms get painted light colors to maximize the space and minimize claustrophobic feel. Why should 2-seat cars be any different?
Because it's a car, not a room. They offer two tone interiors, if that isn't enough, buy something else. From a manufacturing stand point, for a mass produced car, they offer too many choices as it is. Just the coordination of getting all the different parts, on time, for every configuration of every car as it's being assembled is staggering. I honestly don't know how they do it, but then I appreciate the effort that goes into this car to make it special, instead of whining about inconsequential **** and crying why there isn't blue mood lighting and the color of a door panel.
The following 3 users liked this post by Phil1098:
Ghost 23 (11-02-2023), JerryU (11-02-2023), tadda (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 09:58 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Phil, I agree, surprised they can offer all the options they do. It's an assembly line with fixed times for each station/operation.

Years ago I attended a exec level meeting with the "father" of Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP,) Ollie Wight. My group was to consolidate the "family forecasts" for our equipment plant from 6 reginal sales/field engineering offices. The corporation allowed our equipment plant to buy an IBM Mainframe when their policy was all computing would be done in one location in Tarrytown NY, 4 levels underground. But our 100,000 equipment parts required a mainframe to crunch the MRP numbers took 6 hours each night.

Few attending were asking questions. The President of our Industrial Gas Division was not a manufacturing guy. When Ollie got to how the system can predict what should be built on what factory machine each day I asked if that is what automotive does to get the right parts for each car coming down the line. Recall he said nope, they use clout. They tell their many vendors who have facilities near an assembly plant that could mount tires but may just have warehouse facilities, to bring XYZ to Doc 12 next Tuesday between 1and 2PM (as others are slated at different times.) Recall he said and they are told if you can't do it 3 others are waiting to take that business!

So some of the burden of having the right things for a given car is at the vendor. Can only have so many variants before the system comes to a halt.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:41 AM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,150 Likes on 878 Posts

OP would not have had a good time with prior corvette generations.

Floormats and transmission were options. That's about it. Everything else was trim level.

Quick Reply: These trims and options are rubbish--anyone else?