Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2023 Corvette Just Started By Itself in Garage. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 11:39 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

This thread is a good lesson to make sure that OnStar, or similar service, is either cancelled or transferred to a new owner of any used car.

Moreover, those trading in their cars should erase Homelink settings for garage doors, and erase all personal destination info from nav systems.

There can also be a positive side to buying a used car. Years ago, we purchased low-mileage Mini Cooper S convertible, and someone forgot to cancel their Sirius/XM subscription. It was free to us for almost a year.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
djp2313 (10-16-2023), LE MANSZ (10-13-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 06:52 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 527 Likes on 355 Posts

Is that C8 named Christine?
Old 10-14-2023, 12:05 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,240 Likes on 3,473 Posts

Just another of the surprise "options" you get with a rolling 'puter... occasional glitches. Some might suggest it's just the result of a random quantum wave-function collapse in the electronics... somewhere.
Old 10-14-2023, 12:35 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SMOKN C8
pretty sure, with the emissions on all modern cars, it would running of gas long before you would die from the carbon monoxide
This is the most ignorant statement I've ever seen posted on this forum. Modern emission systems do not clean carbon monoxide from ICE exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
mefly2 (10-17-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 07:01 AM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
All I can say is monitor the car. Unfortunately, without a code or the ability to replicate the problem, a dealership won't be able to do anything.

Hopefully, you have no hacker types who have spied your C8, but you might consider a "Faraday cage" box for storing your fobs. There are plenty of choices at Amazon.

If your fob is on a countertop in range of a scanner in the street, that might have picked up the fob signal. Move it as far away from the street as you can.
The FOB stops transmitting after a certain amount of time sitting still so there’s no need for a Faraday cage. Many times while I was detailing while the FOB is sitting on the passenger seat. When I go to start the car the DIC tells me FOB not detected. When I move the FOB the car starts right up.
Old 10-14-2023, 07:08 AM
Chip02
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

I could swear I heard a Car Talk podcast where a caller had this problem (yes, I'm still addicted to the show). IIRC it was a bad solenoid. Of course that was on a car probably decades old and it's hard to believe modern electronics would allow that to happen.
Old 10-14-2023, 07:56 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 873 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDevil828
The FOB stops transmitting after a certain amount of time sitting still so there’s no need for a Faraday cage.
Thats what I was thinking as well, or distance...
Old 10-14-2023, 12:03 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip02
I could swear I heard a Car Talk podcast where a caller had this problem (yes, I'm still addicted to the show). IIRC it was a bad solenoid. Of course that was on a car probably decades old and it's hard to believe modern electronics would allow that to happen.

When I was a lad my first car was a 65 GTO and one day I pulled into a parking spot and turned the car off and pulled the key out and it started cranking over with no key....turned out the ignition switch shorted out...lucky it was a manual and I clutched it and stick the key back in and got it to stop before anything else was hurt...Ahh the good ole days...I still miss that car...
mefly2 (10-17-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 12:11 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,374 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
When I was a lad my first car was a 65 GTO and one day I pulled into a parking spot and turned the car off and pulled the key out and it started cranking over with no key....turned out the ignition switch shorted out...lucky it was a manual and I clutched it and stick the key back in and got it to stop before anything else was hurt...Ahh the good ole days...I still miss that car...
Nice first car!

This whole thread is Much Ado About Nothing, IMO. It's a forum thing but how surprising how so many can overreact.
hawkgfr (10-18-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 06:58 PM
FlyinLow
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip02
We had a Dodge Ramcharger at work that would do this, you could slam the door and the truck would crank over. It wouldn't start because the rest of the ignition circuit was not on because the key wasn't on. Ended up replacing the starter solenoid.
Old 10-16-2023, 10:42 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,519 Likes on 788 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
cars of that era and earlier, you could leave car running and take out key. In Chicago winters many drivers would leave car running, take out key, lock car, to keep heated while running into a store quick. I remember my folks seeing a negative when they moved the key to the steering column and you couldn't pull it out with car running. In previous generation, my dad talked to drivers double parking, leaving the car running, and if it needed to be moved other driver would just move it. Different times....they didn't lock their home either. It's a shame now that the thugs and crooks rule us. We could still be living that way if we chose.....
hawkgfr (10-18-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 05:09 PM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 496 Likes on 266 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

I would bet it's ghosts!! I have a similar problem with a ceiling fan. It turns the light on every morning (and other random times also) after my wife goes into the bathroom to get ready for work. It's everyday, but not on weekends or when I'm out of town. 3 days in a row it went on at exactly 6:11am, the other days it varies from 6:11am to 6:26am. Very strange! We think it's ghosts, but in all reality it is probably some random signal getting sent to the fans remote control to turn it on. It's just odd that it mostly happens around the same time in the morning when I'm at home and the wife in the bathroom.
Old 10-17-2023, 01:15 PM
c8nukeZ51
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

Are you the original owner? if not then the previous owner could still have access to the onstar account and is playing with your head
Old 10-17-2023, 01:24 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by c8nukeZ51
Are you the original owner? if not then the previous owner could still have access to the onstar account and is playing with your head
That was answered above. The OP purchased the car used, and OnStar and the MyChevrolet app were still registered to the previous owner. Someone with access to the previous owner's log-in almost certainly started it.

OP contacted OnStar after the incident and got that straightened out.
Dads2kconvertible (10-17-2023)

Quick Reply: My 2023 Corvette Just Started By Itself in Garage. Please Help!