Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your thoughts on the next ~1 year for the base C8 market?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 10:29 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,206 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamber
Its just one example mate, I have no doubt that if I tried to find other dealerships to achieve this at, I could with ease.

Also, not to be a dick, but if you read the whole thread, you would see that they got lit up for their $900 processing fee and in the end caved by removing it. So, in that specific example, yes, they ended up truly selling for MSRP.
If finding them at under MSRP is that easy, just post up some actual examples for those that are still trying to buy at MSRP or above. They are not going for under MSRP anywhere near me and the used that I have seen are still near or above what their original MSRP's were. Until used 2020's and 2021's start going for 5% below their original MSRP prices I will agree that the market is getting soft. I don't consider the market crashing when all that is happening is that prices above MSRP are starting to erode.

Sure, the economy and interest rates are having an effect on toy sports cars just like everything else right now. If interest rates climb even higher and more people start losing their jobs prices on toys will take a hit - just like everything else does.....
The following 4 users liked this post by JDSKY:
jpmotorsport (10-12-2023), Legion (11-02-2023), o2bnkc (10-12-2023), Steve Armstrong (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 10:37 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,199 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

People keep saying there are new ones available on lots at MSRP, but I think that's fairly limited and they go quickly. To order one, many dealers are doing MSRP, but at best they are 3-4 months out, and often much longer for allocation. And while you will see some used ones under MSRP, they are typically higher mileage or 1LT cars. The 2/3LT and HTC cars really seem to be holding their value and are more limited (Autotrader doing a nationwide search shows 15 HTCs with either 2LT or 3LT). Also, keep in mind that prices on the new ones keep going up, which helps keep prices up on the used market. An equivalent 2024 to my 2023 70th HTC would be $6K more (if you could even get it, which you can't).

I'm not saying the C8 used market isn't going to cool, but I don't think it's going to happen overnight. There is still a lot of demand, and many of the people looking for one don't necessarily care about interest rates. Yes I financed a chunk of mine earlier this year, but I didn't have to (could have paid for the whole thing outright), rather it was because it made more sense to keep my money in investments that are making significantly more. And rates honestly aren't that bad even today, Penfed is currently offering 6.39% for 72 months for new (and 6.99% for 72 months for used).
Old 10-12-2023, 10:46 AM
Kamber
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
People keep saying there are new ones available on lots at MSRP, but I think that's fairly limited and they go quickly. To order one, many dealers are doing MSRP, but at best they are 3-4 months out, and often much longer for allocation. And while you will see some used ones under MSRP, they are typically higher mileage or 1LT cars. The 2/3LT and HTC cars really seem to be holding their value and are more limited (Autotrader doing a nationwide search shows 15 HTCs with either 2LT or 3LT). Also, keep in mind that prices on the new ones keep going up, which helps keep prices up on the used market. An equivalent 2024 to my 2023 70th HTC would be $6K more (if you could even get it, which you can't).

I'm not saying the C8 used market isn't going to cool, but I don't think it's going to happen overnight. There is still a lot of demand, and many of the people looking for one don't necessarily care about interest rates. Yes I financed a chunk of mine earlier this year, but I didn't have to (could have paid for the whole thing outright), rather it was because it made more sense to keep my money in investments that are making significantly more. And rates honestly aren't that bad even today, Penfed is currently offering 6.39% for 72 months for new (and 6.99% for 72 months for used).
Concur with what you're saying. The vast majority of C8s that I'm seeing at MSRP are coupes - buying an in-stock HTC in a desired spec, at MSRP, is significantly more difficult to achieve. No surprise that two of the three that I saw advertised at under MSRP were 1LT coupes. and none were Z51 + Mag. Additionally, to the credit of other posters saying its bullshit, it may very well be; I did not go so far as to request a full invoice sheet from the dealership reps advertising them and subsequently review each line item to see if the deal was actually up to snuff or if it had some fees worked back in somewhere else. That's something I'd do when moving forward on a particular deal, but not worth the time when skimming through hundred of availabilities. If it weren't for how time consuming it is to navigate through Facebook groups to find the specific posts, I'd go grab some screenshots of the posts and perhaps ask for a invoice to be emailed just for the hell of it. Though, I'm sure there is a good chance they're gone/sold already.

Last edited by Kamber; 10-12-2023 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:58 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 4,638 Posts

I plan to buy one at a steep discount off MSRP in 2-6 months if/when dealers start blowing them out.
what I'm ideally after, and ultimately, I'm after way more than $2-3K off MSRP because I feel that's soon going to be doable in the not too distant future.
Luckily for me, I much prefer leaving the depreciation hit to the "first guy" and am primarily planning on leveraging patience and keeping frequent tabs on the used market to land a steal of a deal.
You seem to be contradicting yourself. On one hand you're going to get a WAY bigger discount than $3k off MSRP, and then you say you don't want to take a depreciation hit by being the first owner so you'll buy used. I have news for you, when the new market goes soft, and dealers no longer have a waiting list, and most are discounting the cars, the used market will drop right along with it. The only way to not take a big hit is wait for a 5-7 year old used car. You can't order a used car either, so what ever way it's configured, you're just as stuck with it as a new car built sitting on a lot. My local dealer that is in the top 10% of Corvette sales currently has over a one year legitimate waiting list with deposits. They have sold at MSRP from the first 2020 to today, but they aren't looking for buyers. Will the market saturate, it has to, nothing stays red hot forever, but falling off a cliff, probably not. Remember, the demographics of this car are fat, white, bald, 60 year old men that aren't looking at loan interest rates. That's not all of the buyers, but it paints with a broad brush.
The following 3 users liked this post by Phil1098:
Jean Fume (10-12-2023), Legion (11-02-2023), Wife said I could (10-21-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 10:58 AM
jpmotorsport
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 57 Posts

lol you post a lot of words and tell a lot of conjecture just to say you're not a buyer ...
Either buy one of those at "2k-3k below MSRP" or, buy your 'used' one or not.
I paid 'over' but I've done nothing but enjoy the car going on 1 1/2 years now, you're still deciding if you're going to use the toilet or not
The following 3 users liked this post by jpmotorsport:
03ki11er (10-21-2023), Legion (11-02-2023), o2bnkc (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 11:18 AM
SMOKN C8
Drifting

Received 1,869 Likes on 829 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I check, sometimes daily, waiting for the 200+ Z06s sitting out there to be dropped to MSRP (or under) so I can upgrade. Until then, I hope those greedy dealers are losing their collective asses eating all that interest on the floorplan.

While I wait, I am gonna enjoy every mile of the Stingray
The following 2 users liked this post by SMOKN C8:
phalse (10-14-2023), RiptideHTC (10-13-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 11:38 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Phil1098
60 year old men that aren't looking at loan interest rates. That's not all of the buyers, but it paints with a broad brush.
I would agree that interest rates are not really a big factor for this car. Much larger factor driving ADM's down is the number of flippers evaporating from the market. I am not seeing that happening much if at all on Stingray's anymore as the ability to extract much profit after paying taxes is pretty difficult and if it takes 6 months or a year to make $5K there are a lot of better ways than flipping C8's to do that specifically if you are making payments while waiting for it to sell.

Old 10-12-2023, 11:42 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SMOKN C8
I check, sometimes daily, waiting for the 200+ Z06s sitting out there to be dropped to MSRP (or under) so I can upgrade. Until then, I hope those greedy dealers are losing their collective asses eating all that interest on the floorplan.

While I wait, I am gonna enjoy every mile of the Stingray
I have been on a list to get the Z06 at MSRP and it has been a long wait. So much so that I decided last year to go ahead and order a Stingray. I have been so thoroughly impressed with the car that if the MSRP just keeps going up on the Z I will really have to think hard about spending that kind of money on a Vette.
Old 10-12-2023, 12:08 PM
1 STING
Drifting

Received 888 Likes on 500 Posts

It is unlikely the present environment will change unless demand drops and C8s sit on dealer lots.

If there is a substantial exterior refresh for 2025 dealers will likely ask for markups, anything new means more money and dealers will try to keep the party going. As it is right now ordering at MSRP is not hard to find but dealers are getting very creative with additional add-ons and increased dealer fees which basically amounts to markups. The funniest one I discovered is one dealer's mandatory $5K Platinum Package which offers nothing useful, I was offered a '24 with that package and declined. A couple of weeks ago I was offered a '23 with a mandatory dealer based financing and declined that as well.

Perhaps if more prospective buyers would turn their backs on this kind of gimmicks we would get more reasonable deals.

George
Old 10-12-2023, 02:31 PM
baf2000_1
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought my 2023 1lt in early Sept and paid MSRP from in stock the dealer ordered without a buyer. This was after following the silly markups on new and used for 2 years. It is only now that the tri-state area has used C8's selling for less than their original sticker. And of course what does used mean, 1k, 3k 5k miles ? At some point the supply will out number demand and prices will decrease even more . The market is not what it was 12 mo ago that is for sure new or used .
The following users liked this post:
phalse (10-14-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 02:33 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

I have to laugh every time I hear someone say they are going to wait a couple months (or more) and get a new C8 at a significant discount! These people obviously have not kept up with the numerous upward adjustments to the base MSRP (as well as many of the options). If you get one sometime down the road at $5000 off MSRP you will be still paying a pile of dollars MORE than the many buyers that got theirs at full MSRP a few years earlier.

Anyone that's looked at the history of Corvette pricing over the decades and various generations can see this....

Oh and remember, the 'early birds' have been enjoying their C8's while you've been waiting to get that deal at a significantly higher net price....
Legion (11-02-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 03:06 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by tooold2race
I have to laugh every time I hear someone say they are going to wait a couple months (or more) and get a new C8 at a significant discount! These people obviously have not kept up with the numerous upward adjustments to the base MSRP (as well as many of the options). If you get one sometime down the road at $5000 off MSRP you will be still paying a pile of dollars MORE than the many buyers that got theirs at full MSRP a few years earlier.

Anyone that's looked at the history of Corvette pricing over the decades and various generations can see this....

Oh and remember, the 'early birds' have been enjoying their C8's while you've been waiting to get that deal at a significantly higher net price....
Exactly, there were guys on here in 2019 that were absolutely positive that within 6 months they would pick up a C8 at 10-15% discounts. Now it's years and years later and way over 100k cars built and MSRP is still rule of the day. Some locations still have ADMs, but I think those are definitely softening. You can't even get a decent deal on used C7s, much less a C8.
RKCRLR (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 03:40 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

When the Corvette market changed from end of model year fire sales of 20 - 25% off MSRP to MSRP PLUS I was fortunate enough to be sitting on a used C7 that I sold for $10K more than I had paid for it 4 years prior. That definitely helped take some of the sting out of having to pay MSRP for my C8. It was like getting my C8 for 10% off so maybe I got one those "smoking" deals....
Old 10-12-2023, 03:40 PM
One Vettey Boi
Burning Brakes

Received 480 Likes on 231 Posts

Read the whole thread, it's a train wreck. They aren't selling for MSRP when they have a made up $900 processing fee. So 5 minutes to put in an order gets them $900???? Seems a bit much, bottom line is they aren't really selling for MSRP.
wish I made *checks math* $10,800 an hour too for “processing fees” lol
Old 10-12-2023, 03:48 PM
1 STING
Drifting

Received 888 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY
When the Corvette market changed from end of model year fire sales of 20 - 25% off MSRP to MSRP PLUS I was fortunate enough to be sitting on a used C7 that I sold for $10K more than I had paid for it 4 years prior. That definitely helped take some of the sting out of having to pay MSRP for my C8. It was like getting my C8 for 10% off so maybe I got one those "smoking" deals....
I got a bit over $8K off my '16 1LT Z51 just before the '17s came out. Those days are gone, I doubt history will ever repeat itself.
Old 10-12-2023, 05:13 PM
Kamber
Advanced

Continued my perusing today, and figured I'd post this here incase anyone is interested. Not as steep as others I have seen, but just one example.

2024 3LT HTC available at $513 under MSRP Contact Sam Pacella @ Ciocca Chevy of Quakertown, PA. Price breakdown = $100,170 MSRP + $449 doc fee + $38 temp tag fee - $1000 discount = $99,657. Buyer has the option to handle their own TTL if a cash deal, or have TTL added on top of that if having the dealership take care of it is preferable. If financing through the dealership, TTL must be handled through them.

You seem to be contradicting yourself. On one hand you're going to get a WAY bigger discount than $3k off MSRP, and then you say you don't want to take a depreciation hit by being the first owner so you'll buy used. I have news for you, when the new market goes soft, and dealers no longer have a waiting list, and most are discounting the cars, the used market will drop right along with it.
Perhaps the way I'm expressing myself is indeed flawed, or perhaps your interpretation is incorrect, because I'd be absolutely ecstatic to encounter the scenario you've described above.

The only way to not take a big hit is wait for a 5-7 year old used car. You can't order a used car either, so what ever way it's configured, you're just as stuck with it as a new car built sitting on a lot. My local dealer that is in the top 10% of Corvette sales currently has over a one year legitimate waiting list with deposits. They have sold at MSRP from the first 2020 to today, but they aren't looking for buyers. Will the market saturate, it has to, nothing stays red hot forever, but falling off a cliff, probably not. Remember, the demographics of this car are fat, white, bald, 60 year old men that aren't looking at loan interest rates. That's not all of the buyers, but it paints with a broad brush.
I'm not too worried about about finding a new car sitting on a lot, as the I'm relatively flexible on the spec I'm looking for and have already seen many that would fit the bill. My ideal spec happens to be a 2LT HTC w/ Z51+mag+front lift, and I'm open to 3-4 colors, so its not difficult to satisfy those parameters at all. Similarly, I'm not too worried about taking my chance and biding my time to find a steal of a deal on a car; my opinion is that deals equivalent to what is easily achievable today on new C8s are not going anywhere and that things are only going to trend further toward a buyer's market from here. Its obvious that many disagree with my perspective, or at least aspects of it, which is perfectly fine — this is, after all a public forum for discussion, and I started the thread with the intention of generating discourse. If I'm wrong and find myself eating my words, so be it and no big deal... I'm blessed enough to own two other very fun cars to enjoy.

At the end of the day, its a personal decision. I intend to stick with a primary plan of buying used, as I believe I can (unsurprisingly) achieve the best possible deal in the 2nd hand market. Like you and others have said previously, with price bumps throughout the years, a steep discount off MSRP (lets assume for the entire difference between invoice and MSRP) will likely just put things at a wash with what these cars MSRP'd at in 2020. Granted, there are other factors (relative difficulty of obtaining an MSRP car back then vs. now, non-negligible inflation between back then and now, etc.), but I digress.

Originally Posted by jpmotorsport
lol you post a lot of words and tell a lot of conjecture just to say you're not a buyer ...
Either buy one of those at "2k-3k below MSRP" or, buy your 'used' one or not.
I paid 'over' but I've done nothing but enjoy the car going on 1 1/2 years now, you're still deciding if you're going to use the toilet or not
I posted to spur discussion. Sorry if you're offended lol? You can always feel free to skip over whatever posts or threads you wish. This is my first time entering the C8 market, as I wasn't in the position to buy one any earlier, regardless of price bumps or availability. I look forward to buying whatever car I eventually land on, and wish you many more years of enjoying yours!
Old 10-12-2023, 05:50 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

a steep discount off MSRP (lets assume for the entire difference between invoice and MSRP)
You actually think you're going to find a dealer selling a new C8 for dead level invoice with zero markup? You are truly kidding yourself. You said you only now are getting into this market, you're talking to people that have lived it for years. I sold Corvettes for over ten years and sold more than the other 22 salespeople at my store combined, some of us have a huge amount of experience. Just stay on Facebook and get your information there, I'm sure they know way more than the group on this forum.

Get notified of new replies

To What are your thoughts on the next ~1 year for the base C8 market?

Old 10-12-2023, 06:11 PM
Kamber
Advanced

You actually think you're going to find a dealer selling a new C8 for dead level invoice with zero markup? You are truly kidding yourself. You said you only now are getting into this market, you're talking to people that have lived it for years. I sold Corvettes for over ten years and sold more than the other 22 salespeople at my store combined, some of us have a huge amount of experience. Just stay on Facebook and get your information there, I'm sure they know way more than the group on this forum.
Haha, no buddy, that's not what I'm saying at all. I think you either just have a bone to pick and are actively looking for ways to angle shoot what I'm saying at this point, or perhaps have vastly different understanding of written communication lol. The point I was trying to make was that, EVEN IF one assumes they CAN achieve a new C8 for "dead level invoice with zero markup", the discount off current MSRP in that scenario would probably be close to a wash with the past 4 years of GM price increases — which supports the assertion made by you and others that even IF C8s were to reach blow-out deal levels at this point, it would still be difficult to put them in parody with the prices of yester-years.

Additionally, you can disparage Facebook all you want — fact is, many Corvette owners have/will leverage the groups on that platform to achieve their purchases at acceptable-to-them price points, calibrate their sense of where the market is, and find it a useful resource — myself included.

You strike me as the kind of person to feel like his cheerios are being pissed in when nobody is messing with your cheerios

Last edited by Kamber; 10-12-2023 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:16 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,222 Likes on 2,272 Posts

It’s like asking where people think the stock market is headed half will be right the other half will be wrong. So NEVER make a financial decision on other people’s advice.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 10-12-2023 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:46 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

There's hardly any inventory C8 being offered by dealers (see the dealer inventory section). So guess they're not that many available yet. We'll see at the end of the year what happens. If I decide to buy one, want a 3LT, so it'll be harder to find one. Need to see what happens with the 'new' transmission first. The stupid strike might throw a wrench on all of this.

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on the next ~1 year for the base C8 market?