Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 10:40 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 871 Likes on 398 Posts

Default Ceramic regrets?

Anyone here get their car ceramic coated and then regretted it? I'm scheduled to have my 2023 coupe with 3K miles done 10/23 but having second thoughts after reading complaints about issues with water spotting, not being able to top with a traditional wax, having to recoat after polishing out any new scratches or damage to the coating from bird poop etc, and not being able to use a commercial touchless car wash.

Makes me wonder if its really worth it. I keep my car garaged use all Adams, Chemical Guys, Meguiars, etc and will wash and detail as needed and wax about 1X every 2 months at least. Not sure what the real benefit of a ceramic coating (paint, windows, trim and interior, $1,450 from a known reputable detailer) would be.

Popular Reply

10-03-2023, 10:55 AM
Zormecteon
Drifting

Received 1,372 Likes on 673 Posts

The only part of it that I "regret" is that there's next to nothing to do to the car. .. No more need to wax semi-annually for one. Washes take 1/2 the time...Detailing is a snap. To put it another way, No more excuses to "pamper" the car. I just get to look at the the shine. ...I would never take any car to commercial car wash so that's no an issue.

Oh yeah.. Ceramic coatings put the shine right on top, where waxes give depth. ... The paint doesn't look "deep".
Old 10-03-2023, 10:55 AM
Zormecteon
Drifting

The only part of it that I "regret" is that there's next to nothing to do to the car. .. No more need to wax semi-annually for one. Washes take 1/2 the time...Detailing is a snap. To put it another way, No more excuses to "pamper" the car. I just get to look at the the shine. ...I would never take any car to commercial car wash so that's no an issue.

Oh yeah.. Ceramic coatings put the shine right on top, where waxes give depth. ... The paint doesn't look "deep".
The following 8 users liked this post by Zormecteon:
5632 (10-03-2023), Cumbers (10-05-2023), djp2313 (10-03-2023), Formula52 (10-05-2023), LE MANSZ (10-03-2023), M&N (10-04-2023), Scruff Vette (10-03-2023), TriGuyPNW (10-04-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-03-2023, 10:59 AM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

I wouldn't second guess it, it's superior to waxing if done correctly. That's one of the benefits, not having to go out and correct the paint and apply wax. I have four of my cars ceramic coated and my jeep is not, I use graphene coating but still have to reapply annually and it's a pain. Used to enjoy it when younger but no desire to maintain all my cars finishes so I have a 7 yr ceramic coat on the rest and absolutely love it.

Water beads right off, easy to wash and always looks like new. If I need to do a very light paint correction I was told it's ok to lightly buff an area out, ive done that and the ceramic properties have still been retained.

Your call but if paint correction is done and a good ceramic product is used you will be happy with your decision for many years to come. I would do ppf on the front area prior to ceramic coating to protect the paint from any road rash and chip damage.
The following 4 users liked this post by MikeinAZ:
astepup (10-03-2023), djp2313 (10-03-2023), Fishfryer527 (10-03-2023), gman67 (10-04-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 11:25 AM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 836 Likes on 372 Posts

Sounds like a lot of bullsheet, I use Touchless car wash all the time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pisswilly:
Acpantera (10-03-2023), MitchSpence (10-04-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 12:05 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Scruff Vette
having to recoat after polishing out any new scratches or damage to the coating from bird poop etc, and not being able to use a commercial touchless car wash.

These items all exist even if you aren't ceramic coated as well. No difference. Ask that same guy and he will tell you to not use commercial touchless car wash whether the car is ceramic coated or not.

Ceramic coating is just a better version of the old carnuba wax...so don' overthink it.
The following 2 users liked this post by dapopa9:
Fishfryer527 (10-03-2023), Scruff Vette (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 12:27 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,199 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I’ve had professionally done ceramic on my last 3 Corvettes, but haven’t done it on my C8 yet. I find it very worthwhile and have no regrets to having it done. All 3 of those cars went 3-4 years before I sold them and the ceramic was still performing the same as when new. Water would slide right off and I never got any water spots with it. One of the cars was a daily driver and saw repeated trips through touch less car washes with no issues. The only reason I haven’t done it on the C8 is I wanted to try one of the DIY ceramic/nano coatings, which does work, but not as well as professional ceramic coating.
Old 10-03-2023, 04:33 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
I’ve had professionally done ceramic on my last 3 Corvettes, but haven’t done it on my C8 yet. I find it very worthwhile and have no regrets to having it done. All 3 of those cars went 3-4 years before I sold them and the ceramic was still performing the same as when new. Water would slide right off and I never got any water spots with it. One of the cars was a daily driver and saw repeated trips through touch less car washes with no issues. The only reason I haven’t done it on the C8 is I wanted to try one of the DIY ceramic/nano coatings, which does work, but not as well as professional ceramic coating.
I used the Adam's 8 yr, graphene ceramic and did it myself on my wifes car (to practice), performs as well as the cars i had professionally done. Hers is a small roadster so easier to paint correct and actually coat.
Old 10-03-2023, 04:51 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MikeinAZ
I used the Adam's 8 yr, graphene ceramic and did it myself on my wifes car (to practice), performs as well as the cars i had professionally done. Hers is a small roadster so easier to paint correct and actually coat.
I used the 303 Nano Graphene Ceramic DIY. I only did one coat and it made a big difference, just not up to full professional ceramic. I think if I do several more coats it might be equivalent, the big question is how long it’ll last.
Old 10-03-2023, 04:55 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
I used the 303 Nano Graphene Ceramic DIY. I only did one coat and it made a big difference, just not up to full professional ceramic. I think if I do several more coats it might be equivalent, the big question is how long it’ll last.
303 graphene is nowhere close to a true ceramic coating. I use it and like it on my jeep but doesn't come close to how well a good ceramic performs. At about the 8 month mark I can feel it's properties wearing off even using 303 graphene detailer boost. Back to paint correction and reapplying.

Good product but ceramic, or ceramic with graphene just last year's longer and has better properties overall.
Old 10-03-2023, 05:16 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Agreed, plus I’m lazy, so I’d rather just pay a professional to do it with a quality ceramic that will last years instead of having to apply every 6 months.
The following users liked this post:
MikeinAZ (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 05:49 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,531 Likes on 4,271 Posts

No regrets at all.

Why would you want to use traditional wax when modern products give more shine, last longer, and are easier to apply.
Bird poop will etch paint even faster than it will damage a coating.
Water spots? Nonsense. My car is driven even if it rains, it's dried out in the garage, and any water spots clean up far easier than they do on paint. That was a problem with the early coatings, but not modern ones. Just keep it dry for the first 48 hours.

Cleaning the car is much faster and easier than without the coating, and reapplying the coating every 4 or 5 years is a lot easier than waxing every couple of weeks.

But hey, some people really like to wax their cars all tlhe time, and if that's you then by all means forgo the coating.
MikeinAZ (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 478 Likes on 254 Posts

Adams is absolutely outstanding and tops everything in my option. People say ceramic last 5 to 10 years which it might but how does anyone really know because it has not been around that long?
Old 10-03-2023, 07:18 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 379 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Scruff Vette
Anyone here get their car ceramic coated and then regretted it? I'm scheduled to have my 2023 coupe with 3K miles done 10/23 but having second thoughts after reading complaints about issues with water spotting, not being able to top with a traditional wax, having to recoat after polishing out any new scratches or damage to the coating from bird poop etc, and not being able to use a commercial touchless car wash.

Makes me wonder if its really worth it. I keep my car garaged use all Adams, Chemical Guys, Meguiars, etc and will wash and detail as needed and wax about 1X every 2 months at least. Not sure what the real benefit of a ceramic coating (paint, windows, trim and interior, $1,450 from a known reputable detailer) would be.
Only regret I had was not doing enough research, I had an earlier car coated with a 2 year system and it was ineffective after 6 to 9 months. Installer stated since the car is kept outside the coating was weakened.

The current detailer i use has done both my c8 and my truck who are parked outside in the elements and driven daily. It was about 1200 per vehicle on paint only but it includes a yearly Teflon topcoat and checkup. He will be the only detailer I ever use again.

If i wipe down the paint with adams ceramic boost every month I can get 1 to 2 rains before the paint appears dirty. I can go 2 to 4 weeks between details and rarely have to use a hose and water, maybe once or twice a year.

Even with touching the paint to wipe off sometimes in direct sun, being exposed to elements I have yet to see scratches that I've made under a led light.

Overall I think the ceramic does a great job protecting the paint from light scratches from less than ideal technique I find the claim of increased hardness to be true. In my experience it does not create this super hydrophobic layer that dries itself after being hosed off contrary to all the videos I see about it. If I wash with water I still have to dry the car like an uncoated vehicle.

I guess it all depends on your preference, if you enjoy buffing/ polishing there's plenty of easy to use high gloss systems from meguiars, chemical guys and adams. If you'd like to only have to wipe down paint a ceramic coat will help and offer some protection from light scratches.

MikeinAZ (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 07:32 PM
chefsal
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 25 Posts

No regrets at all. no water spotting, bird poop etching, and absolutely take it to a touchless carwash.

If you can do it, do it, you will be glad you did!
Old 10-03-2023, 09:20 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,221 Likes on 2,272 Posts

One thing many who got ceramic coating is they never mention how long it last. In fact longevity is mostly ignored. When mentioned some say it lasts 9-10 year when in fact the professionally applied ceramic coatings typically last between 2-3 years then needs to be reapplied and that is for the professionally applied expensive ceramic coating. The DIY stuff last FAR LESS like months.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:33 AM
Zormecteon
Drifting

I had ADAMS professionally applied. ..

There's a OCD car detailer in town. He had never used Adams but was willing to try it on my C8. He does excellent paint correction (show winning cars--- usually Hot Rods) so that came first. He watched all the Adams application vids before tackling mine. I took him all the products (Advanced Graphene, Graphene Boost and Adams Paint Prep, along with the applicator(s) and cloths (the big kit).

I probably could have done it, but I don't have the patience to do all the needed steps and not miss spots. That's where his OCD comes in. ..
Wash
Dry
Clay
Paint Correct
Cleanse (Paint prep)
Appy
Wipe
Wait.

I let him have the car for 4 days.... one day of it just sitting, drying. curing...
Supposedly 9 year product, I'll be glad if I get 5 out of it.

I've picked up their Graphene Car Wash, Graphene Detail Spray, and Graphene Boost the last of which I use as a drying agent when I water wash the car.
MikeinAZ (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 05:28 AM
Ystayhm
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 104 Posts

Default Ceramic Coatings

Have done 3 cars myself using the commercial product Gyeon Moths and have had 3 done by CeramicPro with my C8 being done with ION

Excelkent detailing product is Bead Maker.

very happy with ceramic coatings as it reduces my maintenance, keeps the car cleaner and protects the finish.

when u get negative comments on ceramic coatings it's important to know what product was used ie. A commercial installer CeramicPro etc. or a do it yourself product advertised as being ceramic; there are differences in the products and most likely are differences in application

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic regrets?

Old 10-04-2023, 07:11 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 873 Likes on 436 Posts

I have yet to see ANY ceramic coated car look as good as the first few weeks, (gloss wise), a few months later down the road..
I think ceramic coating is good, but the hype is way overblown.
Wash your car, detail it as needed, not much an appearance difference, coated vs detailed and not coated..

Old 10-04-2023, 08:01 AM
SMOKN C8
Drifting

Received 1,869 Likes on 829 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by YO-EL
I have yet to see ANY ceramic coated car look as good as the first few weeks, (gloss wise), a few months later down the road..
I think ceramic coating is good, but the hype is way overblown.
Wash your car, detail it as needed, not much an appearance difference, coated vs detailed and not coated..
I’m gonna have to disagree with you. My car looks exactly as shiny as it did 10 months ago when I had the ceramic done. It’s also still just as hydrophobic.

Note: Garage kept, never once driven in rain, and it’s washed with an obsessive method of my own. Just broke 4200 miles so it’s driven….some!
The following 2 users liked this post by SMOKN C8:
Barstoolman1127 (10-04-2023), MikeinAZ (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 09:17 AM
Foggy-Vettes
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ystayhm
Have done 3 cars myself using the commercial product Gyeon Moths and have had 3 done by CeramicPro with my C8 being done with ION
i was also thinking about getting ceramic pro ion. What’s your experience been like and would you recommend it?

Quick Reply: Ceramic regrets?