Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Happy GM Designed the C8 to Ensure it Will Carry Golf Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 05:45 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

i did take my vette up the blue ridge parkway a couple weeks back. i took everything with me i needed to camp for the week, except my wife. she will be ghgoing bacvk with me in a couple weeks so i will leave out the folding chair. the frumnk only had a gallong of water for the trip so I should have plenty of room. I don't play golf but i fo play guitar. these are carbon fiber and n ot affected by the heat in the trunk, which is non existent for the most part. the clothes and tent absorbed all of the heat down low in the trunk and the top half was cool.

Old 09-30-2023, 06:18 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,706 Likes on 6,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Andybump
Does it have an alternator then? What does it do? If no alternator - that is yet another weight saving. I am assuming its not limited to getting that from braking energy?? The drive batteries are charged just from rolling along via the front drive motor right? And from recovered braking energy. You could drive for hours with very little braking - it needs to keep that LI battery and lights on somehow.
Yep, it has one, assume it the runs AC cabin. coolant fans, radio, lights etc when the engine is running.

Funny my wife's BMW X5 SUV has something similar! This is her 3rd and all 3 have had this system that ONLY charges the battery when braking or coasting! It has a meter and shows when you are recovering braking energy. This is a short description:
"The BMW Brake Energy Regeneration system charges the battery at times when the kinetic energy would otherwise be wasted (usually converted into heat by the brakes), increasing fuel efficiency by up to 3%. By decoupling the system during acceleration all of the engine's power can be sent to the wheels."

RE what happens on a long drive no braking? Thought the same with her 1st when on a 3 hour trip to Hilton head mostly cruise control on I95. Keep on looking and never saw any indications on the meter. BMW had a recall replacement and watched as they replaced the 2nd of 2 12 volt batteries. It was the large AGM (one reason I prefer getting new ones as BMW gives a 3 year maintenance!) Daughter who now has her 2018 just replaced what is only one battery, a large AGM. Have not even looked or care about her current car as it runs like a top and we'll replace it before any significant maintenance. Daughter is waiting!

SIDEBAR
The large Chevy/BMW/Mercedes Dealer in town, who recant purchased the Nissen Dealership and built a new Showroom with attached very large body shop who is aluminum frame repair certified. They sell few Vettes BUT always have the high end BMWs in the showroom. Not unusual to see several over $150,000 when I bring the wife's in for service. The sales rep tell me they have many customers coming from Charlotte (2 1/2 hours away.) They have cars in stock or can get what you want built from the factory in Western SC in ~6 weeks. Here are some details about the NON UNION plant in Spartanburg:

"BMW Manufacturing employs 11,000 people at the eight million square-foot campus. The Spartanburg plant is the BMW Group producer of the BMW X3, X3 M, X5, X5 M and X7 Sports Activity Vehicles and X4, X4 M, X6 and X6 M Sports Activity Coupes; and the all-new BMW XM."

No doubt BMW is chuckling with the UAW demands! There is a 1.5-million-square-foot EV battery plant being built ~10 miles from my home near our airport. It will employ 1200 people making batteries for BMW EVs. It is Japanese owned.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-30-2023 at 07:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Andybump (09-30-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 06:05 PM
GTS Bruce
Burning Brakes

Received 523 Likes on 315 Posts

Porsche regularly haul golf clubs.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:36 AM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Bruce
Porsche regularly haul golf clubs.
which Porsche model do you own, and how is your experience hauling clubs with it?

Quick Reply: I'm Happy GM Designed the C8 to Ensure it Will Carry Golf Clubs