Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Happy GM Designed the C8 to Ensure it Will Carry Golf Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 09:46 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,651 Likes on 6,649 Posts

Originally Posted by Acpantera
The spec chevy gives on the web site it says "trunk volume" is 12.6 cubic ft. Is that just the trunk? or trunk and frunk together? If 12.6 is the total of the 2 what is the cubes of each? I've ck'd out the luggage space on the C8 and it seems pretty lg. My last car was a Genesis G80, the truck was 13.1 cubes, I felt like the C8 rear trunk was close to that, just sort of standing on end instead of flat. The C8 rear trunk seems larger than my son's Camaro trunk and that is at 9 cube.
First as I said above that 12.6 CF is what GM quotes in sales literature for the combined Trunk and Frunk. BUT at the top of this pc is what was in a GM booklet when they were introducing the C8 made just for GM reps!

The # you can compare with say the prior C7 Vette is 9.1 CF using the SAE Measurment method versus 15 for the C7! The 9.1 (or their own 12.6) is BOTH Frunk and Trunk.

The SAE luggage measurement method is calculated by a physical stack of "simulated luggage pieces." The odd shapes of the Truck and Frunk make the area less than the old GM method which was in essence how many Ping-Pong ***** can fill the whole area.

The European luggage measurement method yields a higher number than SAE as it's uses how many blocks ~8 inches, X ~4 inches, x ~2 inches can fill the area.

But both do not consider the total volume. You can look up RRC (V1) as I have a number of times and can't find what it is!

So yep the Truck looks bigger BUT the shape does not hold a lot of practical things!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-26-2023 at 10:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Acpantera (09-26-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 09:58 PM
73sbvert
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I remember when the Solstice came out and the edict I remember was that GM said all cars have to be able to carry at least set of clubs, preferably 2.
The Solstice showed it could carry 2 sets, in lightweight nylon carry bags!!
Old 09-26-2023, 10:38 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SneedFeedAndSeed
-Only an older demographic can reasonably afford a C8- I must respectfully disagree.
You could disagree, but it's absolutely true. Notice he said 'afford', which I suspect you're confusing with being able to buy one; they're 2 different things. If you're able to afford one, you must have the cash to pay for it (even if you finance it). Otherwise, you can buy it, but you can't really afford it. Yes, there are younger guys who can afford one, but it's a small fraction of the older demographic. And I'd define older as 40+.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:02 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,427 Likes on 14,043 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I really do not care if the C8 holds golf clubs or not since I do not play the game, but I do want enough storage room to carry some luggage or other items as needed.

Seems like the car does well in that category, but in all honesty I do miss the considerable storage space that the C5 had.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:10 AM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by NEVERL8
I'm not happy with the Golf Club requirement, but then again I am more of a sports car purest. Without the Golf Club requirement I'll bet the Corvette could have been shorter and lighter to a meaningful degree. Still love the car and think the GM engineers did an amazing job designing it.
I agree that the engineers did an amazing job designing it. But, it was not designed for the sports car purist (something like the 911 GT3 RS is for that). As Tadge Juechter has stated
starting at 5:30, the Corvette is designed to have bandwidth - it is designed to have luggage room, store the top, carry golf clubs, be awesome on the race track, be a great daily driver, be a great long distance tour'er, have a ride/handling trade-off for good ride quality, etc.

Last edited by C8forT; 09-27-2023 at 04:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C8forT:
JerryU (09-27-2023), Red Mist Rulz (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 06:32 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,651 Likes on 6,649 Posts

^^^
Yep very good video, every C8 owner should view. Gearheads or "techies" will want to carefully go back over statements about Tadge being "paranoid and deathly afraid" of the C8 being like his Dad's early Porsche that had (what some considered dangerous) Oversteer. In another interview he said it took Porsche several generations to turn the rear engine 60+% rear weight Porsche into a great handler . Younger folks should understand it wasn't only the case!

In a recent interview with the GM Brake Engineers Jason Fenske (Engineering Explained) said making the C8 handle benignly is why the C8 ME takes longer to stop than the C7. Even C7 Z51 to C8 Z51. They used smaller brakes, using Jason's words, "Becasue is safer if you’re inexperienced and don’t know what you’re doing behind the wheel."

Lots of other good info relative to why they used a unique design of expensive large aluminum castings for the chassis versus the welded assembly they used in BG to build the C7 frame. Why they used expensive coilovers versus the cheaper, lighter leaf spring suspension in past Vettes etc. He notes they could NOT find a casting vendor and had to invest in production themselves as they did in their plant in Bedford. I give Tadge credit for convincing the GM "bean counters" to invest in the ridged cast chassis design as well as going to an outsourced DCT versus a cheaper approach of turning their own GM built "slushbox" into a transaxle!

Don't agree the 911 is the optimum handling sports car. Heck even IMSA allowed them to make it into a ME to be successful racing. Just a question of time before they allow the ME Cayman to have the highest hp engine!

Also don't agree the extra storage is much of a compromise. As I noted in post #7
An accurate comparison shows the C7 had 15 cubic feet SAE versus 9.1 C8 SAE. Or the C7 has 65% more storage space adding both Trunk and Frunk." The 911 has 9.3 cubic feet of luggage storage and if you add the rear seat as storage area it's 13.8 cubic feet. No the C8 Z06 Z07 would be a fair comparison or even the E-Ray.

Heck even Dr. Porsche knew ME was the right place for a sports car engine from his 1930's German F1 cars. Built his 1st Sports Car as an ME but too expensive for 1948 Germany recovering from the War so had to build the production cars from rebodied VWs! Zora had worked for Dr. Porsche before coming to the US. When he 1st joined GM he drove a ME Porsche at Le Mans and won his class.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-27-2023 at 07:20 AM.
C8forT (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 07:29 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by C8forT
I agree that the engineers did an amazing job designing it. But, it was not designed for the sports car purist (something like the 911 GT3 RS is for that). As Tadge Juechter has stated https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBfXm1Yczdo starting at 5:30, the Corvette is designed to have bandwidth - it is designed to have luggage room, store the top, carry golf clubs, be awesome on the race track, be a great daily driver, be a great long distance tour'er, have a ride/handling trade-off for good ride quality, etc.
@bolded...
100% correct. The Corvette is NOT a supercar, and most of us who are owners or enthusiasts would not want it to be, at least not in the traditional sense of what a supercar is. GM wouldn't be able to sell the Corvette as a supercar, and quite frankly, it doesn't have to compete with supercars that cost three to four times or more than a C8 Corvette.

Supercars are impractical because the people who buy them (usually the very wealthy) don't need the car to carry golf clubs, luggage, groceries, or anything else. Almost no one who owns a Bugatti will go on a long-distance road trip in it or take it to the golf course.

C8forT (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 08:53 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
@bolded...
100% correct. The Corvette is NOT a supercar, and most of us who are owners or enthusiasts would not want it to be, at least not in the traditional sense of what a supercar is. GM wouldn't be able to sell the Corvette as a supercar, and quite frankly, it doesn't have to compete with supercars that cost three to four times or more than a C8 Corvette.

Supercars are impractical because the people who buy them (usually the very wealthy) don't need the car to carry golf clubs, luggage, groceries, or anything else. Almost no one who owns a Bugatti will go on a long-distance road trip in it or take it to the golf course.
Maybe to the golf course. Someone can bring their clubs for them.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:06 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Andybump
Maybe to the golf course. Someone can bring their clubs for them.

True enough.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:22 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,357 Likes on 1,627 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
Facts. Sports cars and families tend to be incompatible.

Who says young people must have familys? Different people have different priorities. I'd say now more than any time in history people under 30 can not only afford, but comfortably afford a 100k sports car. Not everyone but way more in the last 10 years than ever before. Software engineers, cyber security, all high paying computer jobs... yeah the wealth is there. I have no complaints about the storage but I do agree it curtailed the shape of the C8 to accommodate. They have to appease their legacy demographic while also bringing in new customers or the brand will die. I think you'll start to see this be less of a concern in generations to come.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:53 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StayinStock
Who says young people must have familys? Different people have different priorities. I'd say now more than any time in history people under 30 can not only afford, but comfortably afford a 100k sports car. Not everyone but way more in the last 10 years than ever before. Software engineers, cyber security, all high paying computer jobs... yeah the wealth is there. I have no complaints about the storage but I do agree it curtailed the shape of the C8 to accommodate. They have to appease their legacy demographic while also bringing in new customers or the brand will die. I think you'll start to see this be less of a concern in generations to come.
I didn't say that young people have to build families, but young people do tend to acquire families. Sure, there are exceptions to the rule. There are some people under 30 who can afford a $100K sports car, but that certainly isn't the case with the vast majority of people under 30. The point of the C8 was to draw in those in their 30s and early 40s who are in professional blue-collar and white-collar jobs who traditionally haven't been buying Corvettes the last couple of generations, opting instead for marques like Porsche or even Japanese imports. To your point, GM had to draw in this demographic while maintaining the legacy demographic. I think they did a great job with the C8 Stingray. It is a sports car with utility that does almost everything well at a price that anyone with a profession can afford.

Last edited by Chemdawg99; 09-27-2023 at 10:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chemdawg99:
C8forT (09-27-2023), StayinStock (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 09:57 AM
LE MANSZ
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 544 Likes on 267 Posts

I'm not. I wish the proportions were designed just around fitting luggage, not intentionally wide to fit golf clubs. What % of people use luggage versus what % of people play golf, a dying hobby? And for anyone that plays golf, the clubs can just go in the passenger seat area.

It's no wonder the rear-end looks so bulky and awkward...

Last edited by LE MANSZ; 09-28-2023 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:01 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LE MANSZ
I'm not. I wish it was designed around fitting luggage, not golf clubs. What % of people use luggage versus what % of people play golf, a dying hobby? And for anyone that plays golf, the clubs can just go in the passenger seat area.

The rear end doesn't look bulky and awkward to me, but that is my opinion. Oh, and I don't play golf.

The fitted luggage for the C8 works just fine for my wife and me.
Acpantera (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 10:05 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,357 Likes on 1,627 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I dont disagree, I think they did a nice job integrating the storage into the car, Its well proportioned. Although had it not been for the luggage/club requirement I think they could have done something alot more interesting with the rear of the car. I still like it but I have to wonder what it could have been.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:15 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,278 Posts

It'll hold luggage. Take a look at this club glove video for inspiration. You don't need to buy Club Glove luggage if you don't wish to - its high quality luggage. But the measurements of every piece are available and you can find similar sized products if you prefer a different brand.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3
The following 2 users liked this post by Andybump:
Acpantera (09-27-2023), hamta (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 10:18 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StayinStock
I dont disagree, I think they did a nice job integrating the storage into the car, Its well proportioned. Although had it not been for the luggage/club requirement I think they could have done something alot more interesting with the rear of the car. I still like it but I have to wonder what it could have been.
I am not sure what they could have done given where the DCT is located. Bear in mind that in the case of the coupe, GM wanted to ensure there was a place to store the roof as well, so that is also part of the requirement.
hamta (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 12:12 PM
THX_ZORA
Burning Brakes

Received 610 Likes on 338 Posts

Just an anecdote regarding the front and rear trunks....my C8 is not my daily driver, but I was forced to take it to the grocery store recently. I made sure they packed the cold and non-cold items separately, and was careful which of those bags I put in the rear trunk !

I played golf for several years, but stopped playing a few years back, so I don't have clubs to store. But since the storage in the cabin is pretty much non-existent, I do like having rear storage area of that size. Also, if you have a coupe, how would you store your targa top if you are out and want to take it off w/o that much space in the back?

Get notified of new replies

To I'm Happy GM Designed the C8 to Ensure it Will Carry Golf Clubs

Old 09-27-2023, 02:03 PM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by LE MANSZ
I'm not. I wish it was designed around fitting luggage, not golf clubs. What % of people use luggage versus what % of people play golf, a dying hobby? And for anyone that plays golf, the clubs can just go in the passenger seat area.

The C8 still fits luggage. My wife and I took museum delivery on the way back from a trip to CA and drove home to FL. All of our luggage fit, but it did take some foresight on our part to take luggage that would fit the dimensions of the trunk and frunk.

Golf has had a resurgence in recent years. Golf courses where I live are doing well. The downside is that the courses are packed and rounds take longer to play as compared to a few years ago. I don't know what percentage of Corvette owners will carry their golf bag in the trunk, but the percentage is high enough for GM to make it a mandatory feature of the C8 design. As Tadge said, the Corvette is about bandwidth - fit the life styles of a lot of different people. This increases the size of the target market, thus increasing sales and profitability. Being able to carry golf clubs adds to the bandwidth.

Chemdawg99 (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 02:51 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C8forT
The C8 still fits luggage. My wife and I took museum delivery on the way back from a trip to CA and drove home to FL. All of our luggage fit, but it did take some foresight on our part to take luggage that would fit the dimensions of the trunk and frunk.

Golf has had a resurgence in recent years. Golf courses where I live are doing well. The downside is that the courses are packed and rounds take longer to play as compared to a few years ago. I don't know what percentage of Corvette owners will carry their golf bag in the trunk, but the percentage is high enough for GM to make it a mandatory feature of the C8 design. As Tadge said, the Corvette is about bandwidth - fit the life styles of a lot of different people. This increases the size of the target market, thus increasing sales and profitability. Being able to carry golf clubs adds to the bandwidth.
This.
The supercar manufacturers couldn't care less about the bold. GM doesn't have that luxury.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:09 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,151 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by NEVERL8
I'm not happy with the Golf Club requirement, but then again I am more of a sports car purest. Without the Golf Club requirement I'll bet the Corvette could have been shorter and lighter to a meaningful degree. Still love the car and think the GM engineers did an amazing job designing it.
Corvette has always been more of a GT than a sports car. C8 just continued the tradition.
The following 3 users liked this post by spireland:
Acpantera (09-27-2023), Chemdawg99 (09-27-2023), dizwiz24 (09-28-2023)

Quick Reply: I'm Happy GM Designed the C8 to Ensure it Will Carry Golf Clubs