Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFM and driving in manual impact on lifters

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 09:47 AM
BobinCali
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default AFM and driving in manual impact on lifters

If I drive primarily in manual do I significantly reduce the possibility of a collapsed lifter and its associated problems? Pros and cons please. When in manual how quick upon stopping does it automatically go into 1st?
The following users liked this post:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 10:14 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,280 Posts

Originally Posted by BobinCali
If I drive primarily in manual do I significantly reduce the possibility of a collapsed lifter and its associated problems? Pros and cons please. When in manual how quick upon stopping does it automatically go into 1st?
You can, of course, shift to 1 manually if going slow enough. I sometimes do but not often. All I can say about how fast it does it automatically if in manual mode, is its fast enough. When slowing to a complete stop, even if I downshift to second, I rarely shift to first - allowing it to that last shift on its own. I have never noticed any issue with that.

As for whether or not avoiding AFM will avoid any failure of the AFM lifters - I have not seen any evidence of that. My theory is that it may be better to allow that functionality to exercise occasionally. But there is no proof of that either. If a lifter fails, its probably a defect. And if it is, it will eventually reveal itself anyway - again, my theory. Some websites report that AFM lifter failure on previous models is sometimes attributed to the wrong oil, dirty oil, or low oil.
Fast Dawg (09-21-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 10:24 AM
moncal90
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

I, personally, am not worried about the AFM functionality. There is no evidence that the lifters on the AFM cylinders will fail any quicker or more often than lifters on normal cylinders. My wife's 2013 Camaro has AFM and she now has 110K miles on her car and it's still going strong. Stuff happens and I wouldn't lose sleep over the AFM system.

As for manual mode, I treat it like a normal manual shifter just without the clutch. I don't see how there would be any problems shifting into first yourself or letting the car do it.
The following 3 users liked this post by moncal90:
Fast Dawg (09-21-2023), RKCRLR (09-20-2023), tadda (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 03:18 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,304 Likes on 1,202 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by BobinCali
I drive in manual almost 100% of the time as I find it more engaging/enjoyable. Not sure if it helps with lifter wear, which I'm really not concerned about, but being in manual mode does prevent V4/AFM functionality. As to shifting to 1st automatically while in manual, you have to come to a full complete stop. If you roll the stop, or even stop and then quickly get back on it, I've found that it will sometimes stay in 2nd, which is typically fine given the short gearing.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:29 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,581 Likes on 4,294 Posts

In spite of the scare stories, there's really no evidence that lifters are more likely to fail on the AFM cylinders than any other. But if one worries about that, driving in manual should eliminate the worry. I drive in manual in most non-highway situations because it's more fun for me, not because I'm worried about the lifters.

On my Stingray, the DCT doesn't shift into 1st until the car is almost stopped. In manual or auto.
Fast Dawg (09-21-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 04:03 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,243 Likes on 3,474 Posts

Just drive the thing as you wish and get on with it. Nothing is "planned" to fail. If it does it can be fixed. Don't forget it's still a car from GM.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:40 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I think there has been a history of AFM lifter failures in earlier engines mostly being attributed to dirty engine oil caused by not changing the oil frequently enough. I was looking at mechanical issues on a Pontiac website and there are quite a few G8's needing engines because of this, it would appear.
RKCRLR (09-20-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To AFM and driving in manual impact on lifters

Quick Reply: AFM and driving in manual impact on lifters