Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 04:32 PM
SteveUSAFCSAR
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

So... assuming I tell Gieco I drive her 3K miles a year (and billed accordingly) ... and with Onstar Smart Driver on... which it is.. and it showing my trips.. and I exceed the 3K...and if the info is passed to Gieco... I imagine I get we caught you letter? Could that be possible?
Old 03-10-2024, 04:51 PM
BasicMember
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveUSAFCSAR
So... assuming I tell Gieco I drive her 3K miles a year (and billed accordingly) ... and with Onstar Smart Driver on... which it is.. and it showing my trips.. and I exceed the 3K...and if the info is passed to Gieco... I imagine I get we caught you letter? Could that be possible?
It could be possible or not. The thing is it could be illegal or simply lacking agreement between agencies to transfer your data... today. But tomorrow it could change without notice.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:53 PM
22c8z51
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveUSAFCSAR
If you're using onstar for an insurance discount with geico, obviously you should *not* disconnect onstar. Geico will notice that, and for good reason accuse you of fraud. Ask geico for a separate transponder. I have the state farm device in my c8, and despite all the complaints about fast cornering and brisk acceleration, I still get a big discount.

This might seem self-contradictory, but state farm gives me at least $800/year discount for selling my data, and I can cancel if I don't like that. GM is not paying me, and not giving me the opttion.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:55 PM
SteveUSAFCSAR
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Roger that!... Smart Driver... is now off! Thanks, Mate...
Old 03-10-2024, 05:08 PM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,153 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Frankly, Google is the real Big Brother! I'll have a conversation with someone (usually significant other) - NOT ON THE PHONE, in person and seconds to minutes later an Advertisement for that item, even as obscure or remote the topic was, appears on my phone in what ever ap I may have open. They are listening even when the phone is "off" !!!!!!!!!!!!

So even the 160+ ECUs, chips, ... on the C8 is small in comparison.
The following 3 users liked this post by C8J:
Fast Dawg (03-17-2024), snork (03-11-2024), SteveUSAFCSAR (03-11-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 06:12 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 469 Likes on 240 Posts

I hate to tell you guys but we live in the, "They know everything about you state ". Your phone tracks you at all times. There are stationary license plate cameras in the thousands, wreckers have them, cops have them, repossessors have them and the data is exchanged through numerous agencies and corporations. Then you have the stationary cameras all over the place.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:12 PM
SteveUSAFCSAR
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you.. s
Old 03-10-2024, 07:22 PM
drwoof
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for posting this information. I was enrolled, as the apparent default. We're being monitored, and everything we say and do can and will be used against us. Big Brother only wants the best for us...
Old 03-10-2024, 08:02 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by C8J
Frankly, Google is the real Big Brother! I'll have a conversation with someone (usually significant other) - NOT ON THE PHONE, in person and seconds to minutes later an Advertisement for that item, even as obscure or remote the topic was, appears on my phone in what ever ap I may have open. They are listening even when the phone is "off" !!!!!!!!!!!!

So even the 160+ ECUs, chips, ... on the C8 is small in comparison.
Go in your phone settings and turn off Always Listen For Hey Siri. If you have a IPhone, you can still use Siri by pushing the right button.
Also turn off Sound Recognition

Old 03-11-2024, 08:22 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,153 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by gve
Go in your phone settings and turn off Always Listen For Hey Siri. If you have a IPhone, you can still use Siri by pushing the right button.
Also turn off Sound Recognition

Android here, no SIRI
Old 03-11-2024, 08:41 AM
philbert_s
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default In the NYT this morning…

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/t...insurance.html

The following 2 users liked this post by philbert_s:
MebeMebe (03-11-2024), Red5 C8 (03-15-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 08:50 AM
BasicMember
Racer

I'm not sure which is worse tracking our driving habits and reporting them for financial gain or requiring an account @ NYT to read about it.
The following 3 users liked this post by BasicMember:
22c8z51 (03-11-2024), Fast Dawg (03-17-2024), langhorne_bill (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 08:51 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,871 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Originally Posted by BasicMember
Buyers have more than likely signed something in that stack of papers at closing which gives GM the right to collect and use your data as they wish. If you interfere with the collection of data you might be in breach of contract. I'm not a lawyer I just realize who is holding the cards.
Originally Posted by 22c8z51
Hah! They're welcome to take me to court for a plug mysteriously becoming disconnected. 😂😂😂😂 Better yet, GM should sue all of their customers, and see how they fare in the media.
Like pulling the tag off the mattress. Seriously, I doubt it illegal. It it was, the same could be said for pulling the battery out of your cell phone. The right to collect data (if they even have it) is only when you provide it. the data.They can't (generally) force you provide data.

Last edited by Andybump; 03-11-2024 at 10:36 AM. Reason: to clarify what is being "provided"
Old 03-11-2024, 09:23 AM
BasicMember
Racer

Originally Posted by Andybump
The right to collect data (if they even have it) is only when you "provide" it.
That's just not true. How many knowingly provide telematics? Or how many read the users agreements they sign which are intentionally written to make ours eyes glaze over? After all they are collecting data whether we like it or not.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:11 AM
JToddH
Racer

Received 350 Likes on 151 Posts

That's just not true. How many knowingly provide telematics? Or how many read the users agreements they sign which are intentionally written to make ours eyes glaze over? After all they are collecting data whether we like it or not.
I chose NOT to activate OnStar when I read the Privacy Statement. It's insane. The real problem is that even if you don't agree to OnStar and its horrific privacy agreement, your car still uploads the info to Chevy to do with what they wish. According to GM, there is no way to keep your car from uploading this information.
The following 2 users liked this post by JToddH:
BasicMember (03-11-2024), Dads2kconvertible (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 10:23 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Default When did GM start the OnStar Smart Driver Program in the C8?

When did GM start OnStar Smart Driver in the C8?

This article in the NYT today is very disturbing. I believe GM started this OnStar program beginning with the 2024 model but I'm not 100% sure. It has some helpful links at the end.

Automakers Are Sharing Consumers’ Driving Behavior With Insurance Companies - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

LexisNexis, which generates consumer risk profiles for the insurers, knew about every trip G.M. drivers had taken in their cars, including when they sped, braked too hard or accelerated rapidly.

How to Find Out What Your Car Is Doing
  • See the data your car is capable of collecting with this tool: https://vehicleprivacyreport.com/.
  • Check your connected car app, if you use one, to see if you are enrolled in one of these programs.
  • Do an online search for “privacy request form” alongside the name of your vehicle’s manufacturer. There should be instructions on how to request information your car company has about you.
  • Request your LexisNexis report: https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/consumer
  • Request your Verisk report: https://fcra.verisk.com/#/

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 03-11-2024 at 12:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Walt White Coupe:
67rstbkt (03-22-2024), CLAVERY (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 10:27 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,900 Likes on 1,917 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It will be my last GM if that’s true.

Get notified of new replies

To Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Old 03-11-2024, 10:34 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,871 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Buyers have more than likely signed something in that stack of papers at closing which gives GM the right to collect and use your data as they wish. If you interfere with the collection of data you might be in breach of contract. I'm not a lawyer I just realize who is holding the cards.
Originally Posted by Andybump
Like pulling the tag off the mattress. Seriously, I doubt it illegal. It it was, the same could be said for pulling the battery out of your cell phone. The right to collect data (if they even have it) is only when you "provide" it the data. The can't (generally) force you provide data.
My statement was ambiguous. I'll go back and fix it. I was trying to say that the right to collect data (if they even have it) is only when the data are provided. That right to collect those data (whether granted intentionally, inadvertently, or by law) does not include forcing one to provide the data in my opinion. Meaning its not illegal to disconnect OnStar. If you think it is, see if you can find a statement that says "interference with the right to collect data, by turning off, disabling. disconnecting a source of data is prohibited by law and carries a penalty of ....yada yada". Such a rule, if it exists, would apply to cell phones, your lap top, etc. And, I made no comment about whether one knows they are providing those data. It was about whether or not you can disconnect the telematics module.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:35 AM
BandDirector
Drifting

Received 805 Likes on 416 Posts

Don’t know when they started, and I didn’t know anything about it until I saw a thread in this forum on it! I found the thread right after my 325 mile drive home from the dealer and when I saw a stat in the App of % of time spent above 80 mph, I couldn’t flip that thing off fast enough! Mine’s a ‘24.

…I have no doubt I’m still being tracked, it’s just not appearing in the App anymore…
Old 03-11-2024, 10:35 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Problem is, is that it's not just GM.

Quick Reply: Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history