Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 01:08 PM
Mustgofast
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They may have driving data, but how can they prove you were driving. No different than photo radar. I’d fight that all day long.
The following users liked this post:
Brettsss (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 01:18 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,198 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Mustgofast
They may have driving data, but how can they prove you were driving. No different than photo radar. I’d fight that all day long.
In the case of insurance premiums they don't care who's driving, they are insuring the car. They are just as concerned about whoever you let drive your car.
The following 5 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
Andybump (04-14-2024), Brettsss (04-14-2024), dohabandit (04-14-2024), JimB. (04-14-2024), Lefty32 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 12:54 PM
Horn of Gabriel
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rawbar
This is how I disputed my 300 Lexis Nexis records and am awaiting their findings. I told them I am not the driver of this vehicle. They now, by law, have to validate that I was (ie, the records connected to my SSN are actually related to me), or they are required to delete every record I disputed. Now will they follow the law? Will GM come back and tell them, without any true knowledge, oh yeah, rawbar was the driver? That's what I'm waiting to find out. They have about 25 days left to get back to me with their determination.
I've filed a similar dispute with LN today on my 485 trips in recorded in their data. Called in and got a very nice, very clueless lady who verified my identity by asking the identity thief starter kit of questions, and then seemed very confused about the fact that I wanted to dispute ALL my telemetry data. "So that data is from your vehicle." I explained calmly that it's tied to my name in their report, not the vehicle - and neither LN or GM can show that I was driver. "But it's your vehicle, right?" Ugh. Finally she said "OK I will open the dispute with GM about the accuracy of this data."

I'm 1000000% sure that GM is going to come back and say that their data is "accurate" so I told her AGAIN that I'm not disputing that that vehicle had those events, I'm disputing that it should be under my name.

This feels like the beginning of a death loop of calls with clueless CSRs until I get a lawyer to write a letter ...which is what I'm certain they're banking on, that most people will just give up. @rawbar please LMK what results your dispute turns up.
Car Junkie 24 (04-19-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 12:56 PM
Horn of Gabriel
5th Gear

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
In the case of insurance premiums they don't care who's driving, they are insuring the car. They are just as concerned about whoever you let drive your car.
The quotes I'm getting for my insuring my teenage driver suggest that the insurance companies do in fact care about who is driving very much.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:01 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,374 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by Horn of Gabriel
The quotes I'm getting for my insuring my teenage driver suggest that the insurance companies do in fact care about who is driving very much.
Been there and you are correct, next in case of a claim your agent will tell you you're better off just paying for the repairs etc. Daughter's insurance is not near as bad, isn't that discrimination?
Old 04-15-2024, 01:14 PM
Red5 C8
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 95 Posts

I've filed a similar dispute with LN today on my 485 trips in recorded in their data. Called in and got a very nice, very clueless lady who verified my identity by asking the identity thief starter kit of questions, and then seemed very confused about the fact that I wanted to dispute ALL my telemetry data. "So that data is from your vehicle." I explained calmly that it's tied to my name in their report, not the vehicle - and neither LN or GM can show that I was driver. "But it's your vehicle, right?" Ugh. Finally she said "OK I will open the dispute with GM about the accuracy of this data."

I'm 1000000% sure that GM is going to come back and say that their data is "accurate" so I told her AGAIN that I'm not disputing that that vehicle had those events, I'm disputing that it should be under my name.

This feels like the beginning of a death loop of calls with clueless CSRs until I get a lawyer to write a letter ...which is what I'm certain they're banking on, that most people will just give up. @rawbar please LMK what results your dispute turns up.
I submitted an online request to purge my LN data. I know they won’t purge everything. I plan to request another LN report in 6 months. Are you saying that even with a purge request, the GM telemetric data remained?
Old 04-15-2024, 01:24 PM
Horn of Gabriel
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Red5 C8
I submitted an online request to purge my LN data. I know they won’t purge everything. I plan to request another LN report in 6 months. Are you saying that even with a purge request, the GM telemetric data remained?
My understanding of LN is different. Their business is data, so you can understand why they really, really don't want to delete anything:
  • Opt-out - you can "opt-out" of LN sharing certain data with certain organizations. They make exceptions like sharing with the government, certain paid partners, etc even if you opt-out. Also it's not clear to me if the opt-out process actually deletes anything in their database on you (I doubt it) or just hides it. Also opting-out doesn't prevent LN from collecting new data on you, in fact they say that they will continue to do so, just that they won't share data on you (with their exceptions) for 10 years. Caveat Emptor.
  • Information suppression - some states allow you to "suppress" data that LN has on you, which basically means "don't share." Again they could continue to collect data on you if you haven't opted out at the source (e.g. SafeDriver)
  • Information DELETION - in certain cases you can get LN to delete your data, like if it is inaccurate or if they're required by law to do so. California has good protections on this. But even if you live outside of California, they have a dispute process that @rawbar , me, and a few others are going through now to dispute all of our telemetry data on the basis that it cannot be tied to our SSN/name record in LN, it's vehicle data. This dispute process can take up to 30 days, and they only notify you of the results by snail mail. They go back to the source of the data (in this case, GM) to ask if the data is "accurate." Seems a little suspect to me to have the data provider be judge, jury and executioner on the validity of their own data! We will see what happens. If the data provider agrees that the data is off, they will apparently delete the data. Again, they could still re-collect new data if you haven't opted out at the source (e.g. SafeDriver). If the data provider says that their data is good, I'm unclear yet on what the next step of escalation would be, I think rawbar may have ideas here: Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) complaint? Lawyer letter? Actual lawsuit? Engaging with your State's AG? Something else?
Old 04-15-2024, 01:26 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,198 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Perhaps I should have been a little more careful with my wording. Yes, whoever can have access to your car can affect the rate. But if they have "evidence" that the car is being driven "recklessly" they don't care whether it is you or your grandmother, their exposure is the same and will be reflected in the rates.
The following 3 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
Andybump (04-15-2024), dohabandit (04-19-2024), Horn of Gabriel (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 01:37 PM
Horn of Gabriel
5th Gear

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Perhaps I should have been a little more careful with my wording. Yes, whoever can have access to your car can affect the rate. But if they have "evidence" that the car is being driven "recklessly" they don't care whether it is you or your grandmother, their exposure is the same and will be reflected in the rates.
That's fair. I can also think of many examples where the "risky" driving was done by someone other than me, but wouldn't/shouldn't affect my rate or be tied to my SSN/name on a go-forward basis. What if this was my teenage driver causing these events and they're going off to college next month and won't be driving the vehicle anymore? What if it was my teen and my wife and I divorce and my teen goes to live with her and won't be in my vehicle anymore? What if my teen gets their own car and won't be driving mine anymore? Or what if I track my vehicle in a safe, controlled environment but that generates a bunch of adverse braking and acceleration events (for which I'm covered under supplementary track insurance, not my road insurance)?

I get why the insurance companies want this data, they're in the business of managing risk and making a profit doing it. The more data they get the better for them. In theory they can offer lower rates to people who hardly drive or drive like grandma. OTOH, insurance rates are going up massively for everyone and your provider is looking for any excuse to raise your rate even more. Total baloney that they're taking data I never agreed to share and using it to jack my rates for driving I may/may not have even done.

Old 04-15-2024, 02:06 PM
Lefty32
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

GM might not come back at all. Given that they've promised to stop selling our data to those two brokers (and AFAIK, ONLY promised to stop selling to them) is there any upside for GM to spend any resources verifying our data? The revenue stream has dried up for now.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:59 PM
Horn of Gabriel
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Lefty32
GM might not come back at all. Given that they've promised to stop selling our data to those two brokers (and AFAIK, ONLY promised to stop selling to them) is there any upside for GM to spend any resources verifying our data? The revenue stream has dried up for now.
On 5/15 I'll let the group know...I've also requested my report from Verisk and will be doing the same dance w/ them...
Old 04-15-2024, 05:02 PM
Brettsss
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked my dealer about it service manager doesn't know about this ha... and he is taking delivery about the same time I am picking mine up, 12 days more! Ugh to 1/8 mile runs rising my insurance this summer
Old 04-15-2024, 05:44 PM
24RiptideBlue
Pro

Received 526 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Brettsss
I asked my dealer about it service manager doesn't know about this ha... and he is taking delivery about the same time I am picking mine up, 12 days more! Ugh to 1/8 mile runs rising my insurance this summer
Anyone taking delivery now who ensures the Smartdriver (Screwthedriver) is turned off shouldn’t …. Again…. Shouldn’t have anything to worry about regarding insurance premiums based on how they drive their cars…

gm announced to the world that it has discontinued selling data to LexisNexis and claimed many times that only drivers enrolled in SmartDriver had their telematics information “graded” and sold to LexisNexis (who in turn sold it to insurance companies).

Anyone who discovers either of the above to not be true after the gm announcement should post it here immediately while on hold for The NY Times… who originally broke the gm/LexisNexis story and would like nothing better than to expose gm going back on its word and continuing to harm their own customers….

Last edited by 24RiptideBlue; 04-16-2024 at 06:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 24RiptideBlue:
Brettsss (04-15-2024), joeflylow (04-26-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 06:59 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Is this the site to get the LN report? https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request

How long does it take normally?
Old 04-19-2024, 07:24 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 744 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
Is this the site to get the LN report? https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request

How long does it take normally?
about 1 month
okaythen (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 07:31 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,149 Posts

^^^^^^
I believe the site says two weeks and that's how long mine took.
The following 2 users liked this post by Walt White Coupe:
dohabandit (04-19-2024), okaythen (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 01:16 PM
fauxrarri
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They don’t have to prove it was you driving. A vehicle they insure is being driven in what they would consider ‘an unsafe’ manner. My insurance company purchased my report from LexisNexis and raised my rates 30% on renewal. According to my report I constantly jam on the gas and then slam on the brakes for no particular reason.
okaythen (04-19-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Old 04-19-2024, 04:08 PM
24RiptideBlue
Pro

Originally Posted by fauxrarri
They don’t have to prove it was you driving. A vehicle they insure is being driven in what they would consider ‘an unsafe’ manner. My insurance company purchased my report from LexisNexis and raised my rates 30% on renewal. According to my report I constantly jam on the gas and then slam on the brakes for no particular reason.
Just an FYI car insurance policies went up 15-20% for most people as policies caught up with inflation. The cost to repair almost anything on any car has increased dramatically. Home insurance is going through the sale thing.

I called my insurance company, Amica, and they claim to not use LexisNexis driving reports. If you believe your insurance company did use a “driver grading” report you should challenge them and consider shopping around for a new insurance company. Pain in the *** I know but the reality is the gm/LexisNexis reports have no basis in law of any kind. Who the hell knows (except the software weenie who wrote the code) what a hard braking or hard acceleration even actually is? Maybe you live in a very congested city where quick and forceful braking is required along with quick bursts of acceleration.

I love hitting the gas hard when using highway on ramps. I’m not driving dangerously, never exceed the speed limit and most important have no claims history in over twenty years.

Point being the gm/LN driver behavior reports are made up and the “grading” is effectively meaningless… Insurance companies that use this nonsense are just looking for ways to screw their customers.

LN combines this grading bullshit with actual data that gives the appearance that the driver grading is also data… it’s not….. it’s an opinion of a software weenie who probably doesn’t even drive.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:43 PM
24RiptideBlue
Pro

It looks like Spring has finally sprung and it’s time to get the new C8 (85 miles so far) out of the garage!!!!

So I finally got off my *** and made “the call” to Onstar…

To preface… when The NY Times article came out I called my dealer to ask if they turned on Smartdriver. The Salesman who said he was the person who activated my Onstar called…. and because nothing is simple when talking to Sales guys (apologies to sales guys) when I asked if he turned on Smartdriver in my car he said he “didn’t know” 🙄….. and said he used the same process that he used for his own car and then kind of talked me through while he looked at some screen(s) that was supposed to represent him walking me through the Onstar activation process…. I think…. He talked about “check this…. Didn’t check that….” And decided “no” he didn’t turn on SmartDriver. Great! Thanks!

Just called Onstar, SmartDriver was on. *******….

Things got a lot better as I used the posts from this site…. Thank you, thank you, thank you and quickly got someone on the line that confirmed SmartDriver was on 😡…. And turned it off for me…. And disconnected my car from Onstar. I have left the mother ship. Thank God!

Several other forum members have posted similar experiences and although nothing is guaranteed in life I believe the blow back gm received (which they deserved) regarding Onstar, SmartDriver etc makes me think they are not lying and actually doing as customers request…. Why? Because there are too many people with far too much time on their hands that would enjoy nothing more than catching gm lying to its customers and using that information to “take down” a major billion dollar company. And that doesn’t include the attorneys that see gm as a potential massive payday if they can prove gm lied to a customer and then harmed that customer by collecting and selling their data. Even a sketchy case could bring enough publicity and social media buzz to force a settlement payout…. Said another way,,,, corporations always do what they think is in their best interests (not the customer) and gm believes it’s in their best interest to do as customers ask and disconnect the vehicle from Onstar when asked.

Because I have a good driving record I think my insurance premiums are as expected… it ain’t cheap but I don’t think I’m getting screwed…. I feel very lucky that all this came out before I really had a chance to drive my car. If I bought my car in December of 2022 instead of 2023 things could be very different and I could be stuck with crazy high insurance premiums with no way of getting them reduced/refunded because of Onstar and Screwthedriver (SmartDriver)…

For everyone that did get caught in this trap my condolences and I would bitch and fight like hell to have my car insurance be based on my claim’s history, actual driving history based on real traffic laws (tickets…) and the expected cost to repair my vehicle. Don’t buy an AMG if you’re concerned about insurance costs because my six year old AMG is $700/year MORE to insure than my brand new C8 (which cost $30k more when new 🤷‍♂️)

Old 04-19-2024, 04:44 PM
Red5 C8
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 95 Posts

The LN report states who else has pulled the report. Most of the carriers I got quotes from requested the LN report and saw the GM data. I can't prove whether the Corvette driving data counted against me, but the insurance rates on my Corvette from Mercury, AAA and Safeco were so high I switched my Corvette to Hagerty and insured my remaining cars with AAA. The Corvette was the only car new enough to report telemetry data.

Quick Reply: Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history