Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 09:13 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,108 Likes on 522 Posts

I wonder what the chances would be to hack the system and figure out the coding. Perhaps develop a fabricated data loop to transmit to the mother ship showing you drive like grand ma going to church on Sundays.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:17 PM
blkgenius
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
I read this but don’t know how accurate it is..

https://pro.bloomberglaw.com/insight...ation-tracker/
The list is fairly accurate. However, some of them are very business-friendly and don't provide a mechanism for residents to request their data or offer opt-out provisions and the right for data deletion.

Of the presently active privacy laws, only California, Colorado, Connecticut, Utah, and Virginia allow residents to do the above.

EDIT: Added California.

Last edited by blkgenius; 03-25-2024 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:20 PM
1 STING
Drifting

Received 888 Likes on 500 Posts

There are rumors State penitentiaries are now offering long term valet parking for their Corvette guests.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:24 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,202 Likes on 3,403 Posts

Originally Posted by blkgenius
The list is fairly accurate. However, some of them are very business-friendly and don't provide a mechanism for residents to request their data or offer opt-out provisions and the right for data deletion.

Of the presently active privacy laws, only Colorado, Connecticut, Utah, and Virginia allow residents to do the above.
And California.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:09 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
The only one who will win in the lawsuit are the lawyers for the plaintiffs.

How come we let the Insurance industry use credit scores to set insurance rates?
What does a credit score have to do with what kind of driver one is?
Kind of like, why do we let politicians determine their own salaries, raises and retirement benefits? How did it come to this?
Old 03-25-2024, 10:31 PM
gosneakers
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 106 Posts

I have been receiving post cards in USPS mail for years for my GM vehicles and now I have an idea where they probably got the information on me!
Old 03-26-2024, 12:13 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Originally Posted by o2bnkc
Kind of like, why do we let politicians determine their own salaries, raises and retirement benefits? How did it come to this?
Obviously, you forgot what you leaned in Civics class if you had one.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:26 AM
JKU007FL
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 173 Posts

The press release was carefully crafted by legal, they stopped sharing data with LexisNexis and Verisk, THAT'S IT, should've said with anyone, there are dozens of data brokers.
Nothing accomplished..
The following 3 users liked this post by JKU007FL:
BearZ06 (03-26-2024), jcthorne (03-26-2024), Lefty32 (03-27-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 10:46 AM
gosneakers
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Common sense doesn't apply to politics!

I was at a meeting on "CAPITOL HILL" one year, when once again they could not balance the national budget but just voted themselves a 50% pay increase!

When I asked about the common sense logic of voting for their own increases, I was told it was justified in order to have and keep the most highly qualified people for decision making!

That was proof positive that the politicians representing us was just a "JOKE" on the tax payers!

This was back in the 1980's and also proof that history continues to repeat itself!
Old 03-26-2024, 11:06 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

^^^^^^
So, I Googled, "Has congress ever had a 50% pay raise?"

Answer:
No, there has not been a 50% pay raise for members of the U.S. Congress. Salaries for members of Congress have not increased since 2009. Currently, they earn an annual salary of $174,0001.

More fake news from the uniformed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Walt White Coupe:
Dbharris (03-26-2024), mefly2 (04-04-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 06:05 PM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 643 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by sshallen
Keep reading.
Your premise was shown to be false. You'll need to start with a valid premise to draw a valid conclusion.
I'm not sure your motivation
Your statement was false. Motivation is unrelated to whether you post accurate information or not.
The correlation between good credit and good driving is provably STRONG.
Correlation does not equal causation.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:28 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Received 679 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Dads2kconvertible
Your premise was shown to be false. You'll need to start with a valid premise to draw a valid conclusion.

Your statement was false. Motivation is unrelated to whether you post accurate information or not.

Correlation does not equal causation.
Your point is valid, if you ignore or misunderstand everything I posted. I'll give the benefit of the doubt on that, I don't want to accuse you of debating dishonestly. So, a misunderstanding of the studies and their conclusions, which concur with common sense.

I never said the 500 credit folks score "causes" their high driving risk. Just that it NEARLY PERFECTLY PREDICTS it. As the studies showed. One by a decidedly anti-corporate federal agency.

Why is it ok to use driving history? All of Joe Bob's bad driving could be behind him, why give him a higher rate simply because driving history perfectly correlates with future driving behavior? It's not causal!!!

Anyway. Maybe you are right, the serial bankrupts are low risk and should get lower insurance rates. Maybe start an insurer with that approach? Getting clients should NOT be a problem! Profits could prove elusive.

I think our exchange embodies the "Not everything you don't like or don't understand is bad" truism, and there may be a few others who agree that the irresponsible should not pay the higher rates they deserve. As it is, I'm happy the financially responsible get the lower rates all history shows they've earned.

Last edited by sshallen; 03-26-2024 at 06:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Car Junkie 24 (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 06:34 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

So, reading through the LexusNexis report, all 82 pages, at the end they have frequently asked questions. Based on this answer, maybe LN does not share "Driving Behavior" with insurance companies.

Q: What information is provided to the insurance company?
A: LexisNexis® Risk Solutions Inc. enables insurance companies to access and use prior loss information in the underwriting process. Each month, participating insurers submit loss information to LexisNexis. Subsequently, insurance companies request this data by forwarding search criteria such as an insurance applicant's name, date of birth, and driver's license number. LexisNexis searches its database for information that matches the requested search criteria. A report is then generated and forwarded to the insurer. When you or your insurance company receive a report, it includes all loss accessed by the search criteria which were reported to us within seven years of the date of the request. The report is not a recommendation; insurance companies utilize prior loss information in accordance with their own underwriting guidelines.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Your point is valid, if you ignore or misunderstand everything I posted. I'll give the benefit of the doubt on that, I don't want to accuse you of debating dishonestly. So, a misunderstanding of the studies and their conclusions, which concur with common sense.

I never said the 500 credit folks score "causes" their high driving risk. Just that it NEARLY PERFECTLY PREDICTS it. As the studies showed. One by a decidedly anti-corporate federal agency.

Why is it ok to use driving history? All of Joe Bob's bad driving could be behind him, why give him a higher rate simply because driving history perfectly correlates with future driving behavior? It's not causal!!!

Anyway. Maybe you are right, the serial bankrupts are low risk and should get lower insurance rates. Maybe start an insurer with that approach? Getting clients should NOT be a problem! Profits could prove elusive.
Speaking of debating dishonestly:
Maybe you are right, the serial bankrupts are low risk
I never said that. You're using another strawman logical fallacy.
I think our exchange embodies the "Not everything you don't like or don't understand is bad" truism
I think our exchange demonstrates that even people who disagree can have a discussion. I also think almost everyone but you and I are tired of reading our back and forth.
Thank you for the exchange.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:39 PM
Fritzep
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 50 Posts

Isn't Google and Apple already tracking our movements from our phones when we bring them in our cars? I think our phones have sensors that can track most of the data OnStar is tracking? Maybe not directly to the VIN number but I would think they can track metrics directly related to the person. Can OnStar be disabled?
Old 03-27-2024, 09:52 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Received 679 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by gosneakers
I was at a meeting on "CAPITOL HILL" one year, when once again they could not balance the national budget but just voted themselves a 50% pay increase!
Congress can only vote an increase for the NEXT congress, by law.

They make about 1/4-1/10th what they would make performing similar duties in private sector.

Their entire payroll adds up to almost nothing of the Federal budget.
Walt White Coupe (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 01:54 PM
fauxrarri
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m interested how you will feel when your insurance premiums increase 40% like mine did.
Car Junkie 24 (03-30-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Old 03-28-2024, 01:57 PM
BasicMember
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

I have a policy with locked in rates... until I add another car. So, there's that.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:42 PM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fritzep
Isn't Google and Apple already tracking our movements from our phones when we bring them in our cars? I think our phones have sensors that can track most of the data OnStar is tracking? Maybe not directly to the VIN number but I would think they can track metrics directly related to the person.
Phone manufacturers & various app makers definitely have SOME ability to track your phone. That's how the map applications work. As far as I know, that information is not being shared directly with insurance companies but there really is no easy way for any individual to know that for sure. Obtaining your reports from the hundreds of data brokers would be one way to find out but that's a prohibitively tedious process today. Seems likely that insurance applications on your phone are gathering such data but again, there is no good way to know for sure.
Originally Posted by Fritzep
Can OnStar be disabled?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...g-brother.html
At least one person in that thread thinks they have done it. But it's unknown at this point exactly what data the car saves or for how long. Maybe it saves ten minutes worth and overwrites that if it's not uploaded in real time, maybe it saves ten year's worth and will upload next time it's connected. Nor is it known what else is turned off using their methodology.

This was a non-issue when it took a lot of time and effort to gather data. Now that so much information is online and we live in such a connected world gathering data is relatively easy.
It's easy to find examples of both great uses and terrible uses of data. Societal 'rules' change slower than the tech right now.
We live in interesting times.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:43 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,444 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by Dads2kconvertible
Phone manufacturers & various app makers definitely have SOME ability to track your phone. That's how the map applications work. As far as I know, that information is not being shared directly with insurance companies but there really is no easy way for any individual to know that for sure. Obtaining your reports from the hundreds of data brokers would be one way to find out but that's a prohibitively tedious process today. Seems likely that insurance applications on your phone are gathering such data but again, there is no good way to know for sure.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...g-brother.html
At least one person in that thread thinks they have done it. But it's unknown at this point exactly what data the car saves or for how long. Maybe it saves ten minutes worth and overwrites that if it's not uploaded in real time, maybe it saves ten year's worth and will upload next time it's connected. Nor is it known what else is turned off using their methodology.

This was a non-issue when it took a lot of time and effort to gather data. Now that so much information is online and we live in such a connected world gathering data is relatively easy.
It's easy to find examples of both great uses and terrible uses of data. Societal 'rules' change slower than the tech right now.
We live in interesting times.
They don't just have "some" level, it's a full level thanks to Congress. Look into CALEA.
We have a huge digital footprint, some larger than others, but many would be surprised just how much data there is on a single person. It's a big business.
A good book to read about this is "Data and Goliath" by Bruce Schneier.
The following 2 users liked this post by dohabandit:
Car Junkie 24 (03-30-2024), Dads2kconvertible (03-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history