Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 08:57 AM
BasicMember
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Kind of makes license plates redundant when the car is broadcasting all this data.

Cop pulls you over and says, I see where you were going 6 miles over the speed limit last week. Where were you going in such a hurry, mind if we search your vehicle. Please step out of the car.

Last edited by BasicMember; 03-12-2024 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:25 AM
JToddH
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by BasicMember
Kind of makes license plates redundant when the car is broadcasting all this data.

Cop pulls you over and says, I see where you were going 6 miles over the speed limit last week. Where were you going in such a hurry, mind if we search your vehicle. Please step out of the car.
Why bother pulling you over? He can sit at a desk, download your report from LexisNexis and send you a ticket without ever missing a doughnut.
The following users liked this post:
JXL (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 09:38 AM
BasicMember
Racer

Originally Posted by JToddH
Why bother pulling you over? He can sit at a desk, download your report from LexisNexis and send you a ticket without ever missing a doughnut.
Because he wants to search the car. His data shows where you visited a pot shop in the neighboring state and combined with credit card records he can say you're dealing the ganja. I look terrible in stripes.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:47 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,827 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by JToddH
As they do with radar cameras. They send you a nice picture of you car with the license plate. Also at toll booth if you pass through without paying, or if there is a failure to ezpass device in you car even if you have it, you will also be sent a notice. These two are both based on your displayed tag.

At least, for now, and if the system is not hacked, it is my understanding that third parties cant directly access your car via its 4G connection. But, we know that law enforcement can get access to the car by request. And we know that owners using their phone app can get access to the data in the car. I think both are via the OnStar connection - that is - it goes to the OnStar center and then to the car. But we know it already does provide driving habit summary info to third parties (apparently with permission, even if obtained surreptitiously) . So, the same could happen with law enforcement agencies - in real time.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:58 AM
meesterover
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by z06inVB
I’m curious. Rather than shut it off or tell them not to sell it I wonder if there could be a way to hack it and feed data to their system that was basically designed to optimize your reports for maximum insurance discounts.
I wonder how LexisNexis would risk rate 0-60 in 2.9 minutes?

Originally Posted by Andybump
As they do with radar cameras. They send you a nice picture of you car with the license plate. Also at toll booth if you pass through without paying, or if there is a failure to ezpass device in you car even if you have it, you will also be sent a notice. These two are both based on your displayed tag.

At least, for now, and if the system is not hacked, it is my understanding that third parties cant directly access your car via its 4G connection. But, we know that law enforcement can get access to the car by request. And we know that owners using their phone app can get access to the data in the car. I think both are via the OnStar connection - that is - it goes to the OnStar center and then to the car. But we know it already does provide driving habit summary info to third parties (apparently with permission, even if obtained surreptitiously) . So, the same could happen with law enforcement agencies - in real time.
Exactly. Disconnecting the Onstar is not enough. The vehicle needs to be completely disconnected. XM can be used to locate a stolen vehicle.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:08 AM
Dan Hintz
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by meesterover
Disconnecting the Onstar is not enough. The vehicle needs to be completely disconnected. XM can be used to locate a stolen vehicle.
Let's be clear before the arm-waving begins... the XM audio service can not be used to track. XM is now offering OnStar-similar hardware options, and those vehicles which include that hardware can be used in the same way as OnStar. But as with OnStar, tracking still requires local cell sites to do the tracking.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:22 AM
meesterover
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hintz
Let's be clear before the arm-waving begins... the XM audio service can not be used to track. XM is now offering OnStar-similar hardware options, and those vehicles which include that hardware can be used in the same way as OnStar. But as with OnStar, tracking still requires local cell sites to do the tracking.
Perhaps I confused the receive-only antenna with the SiriusXM Connected Car services, which could rely on a cellular connection. Do we know if all of the connected services funnel through the cellular connection?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/sirius...ocate-your-car
Old 03-12-2024, 11:36 AM
SBMtbiker
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Disconnecting Onstar Module

Did a search. Didn't find. Please direct me there if i missed it! Looking for detailed instructions on how to do this on my C8 HTC! Thanks in advance!
Old 03-12-2024, 12:16 PM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 369 Likes on 214 Posts

SBMtbiker (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 12:19 PM
BasicMember
Racer

How do we know the data isn't stored and downloaded during oil changes.
Old 03-12-2024, 12:34 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,553 Likes on 4,279 Posts

Because no dealer is going to bother with that if they're not getting paid for it.
Old 03-12-2024, 12:43 PM
gbwiii
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default "OnStar" Driving Habits Shared with Insurance Companies

Be aware just saw a report on tv that General Motors “OnStar” system reports your driving habits to a company called "LexisNexis" who shares that information with auto insurance companies. Glad I didn’t activate that service.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:48 PM
bbq9000
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What all will break when this is removed besides Onstar? OTA updates? GPS for front lift? Garage door opener? Are there annoying error messages? Would someone who has done this comment?
Old 03-12-2024, 12:59 PM
THX_ZORA
Burning Brakes

Received 610 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
The Safe Driver feature is automatically turned on with a new vehicle whether you activate OnStar or not. My last 3 new GMs were anyway. You can use the app to turn it off and you don't need OnStar to use the app. I like the apps free features while they last; especially tire pressure and gas level but never renew when it expires. I never activate OnStar.
I really appreciate the OP posting this...

FYI,

picked up a 2024 GMC 1500 Denali last month.....just noticed this thread and furiously started checking things out. I have never had OnStar on either vehicle ( I joked to my salesman for my truck and the NCM staff for the car that I would break fingers if anyone touched that OnStar button to activate when I took delivery), so I didn't even have a trial of it.

When I went into the MyGMC app and the SafeDriver WAS activated for my C8 (which I immediately opted out of), but it was NOT enabled on my new truck.

Working in IT for the last 40 years, I am all too aware of the many, many ways we can be tracked and our info can be collected. But this is the first instance I have heard of where you can be financially penalized based on data collected about you (other than a straight hack or ransom, obviously). It's got my blood boiling for sure....

I did go in and request my Lexis/Nexis report to see what they know....
Dads2kconvertible (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 01:17 PM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by bbq9000
What all will break when this is removed besides Onstar? OTA updates? GPS for front lift? Garage door opener? Are there annoying error messages? Would someone who has done this comment?
All good questions. I’d like to know also.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:19 PM
BasicMember
Racer

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
Because no dealer is going to bother with that if they're not getting paid for it.
Then why did they strip the threads on my breather box when checking air filter? They didn't get paid for that.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:53 PM
Dan Hintz
Racer

Have you not read the 5 other active threads on the subject?

Get notified of new replies

To Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Old 03-12-2024, 01:55 PM
gbwiii
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Now there's six
Old 03-12-2024, 02:01 PM
Dan Hintz
Racer

Originally Posted by meesterover
Do we know if all of the connected services funnel through the cellular connection?
Receive is easy...satellite, cellular, WiFi, etc. can all blast a fairly hefty "omnidirectional" signal (I put omni in quotes since satellites have a very specific cone that shoot in, and cell sites use active beamforming once a connection has been made), so your entire driving area is blanketed in the signal. Transmit back to a satellite (from a car) isn't going to happen (not enough power or directionality), and WiFi doesn't have the range once you're a few hundred feet from your house, so cell is really all that's left.
Andybump (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 02:02 PM
Dan Hintz
Racer

Originally Posted by BasicMember
Then why did they strip the threads on my breather box when checking air filter? They didn't get paid for that.
Consider it a gratuity for being such a loyal GM customer ;-)

Quick Reply: Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history