Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 things I don't like about the C8

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 01:09 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,126 Likes on 563 Posts

Blind spot monitor should show in the HUD. If I have to look at the outside mirror, I will see the car there anyway so it's a useless location.
The following users liked this post:
djp2313 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 01:46 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,466 Likes on 790 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
#6 is a safety feature. Kids have died when the opened a car door while the car was in motion, so not automatically unlocking the door while in drive prevents that.
It's also been around since the C6 came out.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:57 PM
Didier9
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Blind spot monitor should show in the HUD. If I have to look at the outside mirror, I will see the car there anyway so it's a useless location.
I do not agree with this.
In my car, BSM indicates a car is coming way before I can see it in the mirrors, and I have my mirrors set all the way out. It also beeps pretty loudly, that's hard to ignore.
c_r_h (09-12-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 11:32 AM
Budoist
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
In addition to the part above mine, I've also had a motorcycle in my blind spot at a stop light. It did not show up on any mirror even with my side mirrors set to their widest.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:33 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 620 Likes on 456 Posts

You need to sell it ASAP.
Acpantera (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 12:42 PM
Acpantera
Pro

Received 514 Likes on 225 Posts

Old 09-14-2023, 03:42 PM
pk2401
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

So far for me it’s just about perfect. Can really only think of three things I would love. First, better insulation in the trunk. As everyone knows it gets really hot in there even on short rides. Soft close frunk, which the ‘24 addresses. Lastly, super nitpicky, swap the volume control with the channel control on the steering wheel.
Old 09-14-2023, 04:14 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by pk2401
So far for me it’s just about perfect. Can really only think of three things I would love. First, better insulation in the trunk. As everyone knows it gets really hot in there even on short rides. Soft close frunk, which the ‘24 addresses. Lastly, super nitpicky, swap the volume control with the channel control on the steering wheel.

Oooh you just triggered a whole bunch of gravedodgers that worship their vettes more than their Jorts, new balances, and depends.
pk2401 (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 04:27 PM
MitchSpence
Drifting

Received 304 Likes on 153 Posts

No screw holes for the bottom of the license plate bracket??? OMG, how did they sell 50,000 this year. Maybe they will do a recall.
Old 09-14-2023, 04:51 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchSpence
No screw holes for the bottom of the license plate bracket??? OMG, how did they sell 50,000 this year. Maybe they will do a recall.
Hi there Francis, not sure if you caught the intention of the original post. It was for things that current/past owners thought could be improved on the C8. It wasn't (at least my comment) meant to be a list of critical defects or reasons not to purchase a C8. I've purchased more than 1 C8 and like the car. However, it's not perfect, so there are things I would like to see changed/improved. Good for you if your car is 100% perfect, with no opportunities for improvement.
The following 2 users liked this post by muncie21:
djp2313 (09-14-2023), IrishSpuds (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 10:25 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPeriodical
I've had my c8 now for a couple weeks and I gotta say it really is a great car and I love it,
but there are definitely some things I don't enjoy about my car in particular. Some of these might be nitpicks,but they're still things that annoy me.

For reference I have a yellow 1LT convertible

1. The yellow attacts a ridiculous amount of bugs compared to other cars. I never knew this going into getting a yellow car, but apparently it's a well known fact yellow attracts the most bugs, and it's definitely been noticeable for me compared to my previous black and white cars. I live and park on the 5th floor of an apartment building in the middle of a city, and every single morning my car has way more bugs resting on it than other cars. Usually there's grasshoppers and I don't even know how grasshoppers get up to the 5th floor.

2. There are no bottom screw holes for the license plate. This is just a dumb decision by GM. I don't want my license plate flapping about when i'm driving. There should absolutely be two bottom screw holes.

3. No pause/play button on the steering wheel. This isn't the biggest issue, but still something that annoys me that I wish was there.

4. The rear view mirror is halfway blocked by the car. I don't know how GM could fix this, but come on..half the mirror is completely useless. And please don't anyone say use the camera, I literally can't use the camera when the top is down.

5. Rear window doesn't roll all the way down. Why it doesn't roll all the way down..I have no idea..would be nice if it did though. Instead I have to live with this useless 70th anniversary text partially obstucting my rear view whenever I use the mirror.

6. The door doesn't automatically unlock when you try to open it if the car is in drive..I've never had a car where the open door button doesn't work like this. Very annoying. There should at least be a option to change the way it works in the settings.

7. The infotainment screen is small and has ridiculous bezels. Why would GM design it like this? There's nearly a 2 inch useless border around the entire thing. Every company has been trying to get bezels as small as possible for the past few years, and Corvette just does the opposite. It looks bad and it makes the screen look tiny. The very first thing my fiancee said when she got in the car was that the screen was small.

8. Parking Break location. I just think it's in a bad spot. I don't really use it anyway so it's not a big deal.

9. The sun visor is difficult to open from the middle. This might be convertible specific, but you basically can't open the visor from the center, unless you have super tiny fingers that fit into the groove and you have to use the sides of the visor instead. Every other car i've been in this was a non-issue, but GM suddenly made it a problem on the C8.

10. The sun visor cannot close if the mirror is open. Again this might be convertible specific, but you literally can't close the visor because of the angle if the mirror was opened. I've never had a car where the visior couldn't easily be closed even if the mirror was opened. Designing it like this was just stupid.
It’s funny if you are at a car show the yellow cars have a ton of bugs. Bees love it. You can pause /play with the phone button on the steering wheel. I used double sided alien tape under the bottom of the license plate. The back window does not go all the way down because water sits behind it and would run into the car if it lowered all the way. The door doesn’t open when in drive as a safety feature. First you must hit unlock, then open door button. Two steps are safer. You can unlock the doors from the driver side so the passenger can open their door without a lot of fumbling around. I always use the parking brake so I have gotten use to it, unsure if the center console would be better. The visor is high so as not to interfere with a driver’s helmet. I never looked in the vanity mirror so I can’t comment on that issue. Personally I miss the gun cabinet that is behind the C7 infotainment screen. The C8 in my opinion is extremely well designed with a lot of thought into many features. Keep an open mind and the reason for some “quarks “ may become apparent.
Acpantera (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 11:02 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Received 679 Likes on 334 Posts

I would add, I wish the waterfall/phone charger area had been designed by someone who owned a cellphone. Why on Earth would the "cellphone area" be three times the height of most cellphones and only 99% of the width???

iPhone 14 Pro must be removed from case to fit down far enough to charge. A Max would never fit. Hideously awkward location for any occupants of the video.

Should have been a wireless charger in the small center console (hinged lidded console between cup holders and waterfall) where it could actually be reached by an occupant. The waterfall should be a stowage compartment with a hinged lid color matched to the exterior, it would be great for stowage.
The following 2 users liked this post by sshallen:
CruisingC8 (10-04-2023), IrishSpuds (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 01:29 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by sshallen
I would add, I wish the waterfall/phone charger area had been designed by someone who owned a cellphone. Why on Earth would the "cellphone area" be three times the height of most cellphones and only 99% of the width???

iPhone 14 Pro must be removed from case to fit down far enough to charge. A Max would never fit. Hideously awkward location for any occupants of the video.

Should have been a wireless charger in the small center console (hinged lidded console between cup holders and waterfall) where it could actually be reached by an occupant. The waterfall should be a stowage compartment with a hinged lid color matched to the exterior, it would be great for stowage.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:58 PM
new_hampster
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

As a music lover, I will pick my own nit. I use USB sticks in all my cars, but in my '21 HTC, it will not recognize the USB stick if it is plugged in when I start the car. I have to start the car, unplug the USB, and then plug it back in. Not a big deal, but for an IT guy with some programming experience this is just silly and tells me that there are no music lovers doing the programming or the QA.
Old 10-04-2023, 05:16 PM
Broken Halo
Melting Slicks

Received 1,737 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by new_hampster
As a music lover, I will pick my own nit. I use USB sticks in all my cars, but in my '21 HTC, it will not recognize the USB stick if it is plugged in when I start the car. I have to start the car, unplug the USB, and then plug it back in. Not a big deal, but for an IT guy with some programming experience this is just silly and tells me that there are no music lovers doing the programming or the QA.
Somethings not right. I left my USB stick in my '21 HTC without ever removing it and it always started where it left off.
Old 10-04-2023, 05:25 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Acpantera
Is there a Myth Busters episode on this yellow car/bugs thing?
My millennium yellow vette would be covered with bugs all the time in the summer while parked. It is not a myth. Trust me. These yellow cars do attract bugs. I've only had my orange 2024 for a couple of days, so the jury is out on that.

Last edited by o2bnkc; 10-04-2023 at 06:59 PM.
Acpantera (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 05:37 PM
qwazipsycho
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Complaints? Why would you complain? It's the most awesome corvette ever!

There is 1 thing I hate about a lot of cars including this one. The sun visor is worthless for the side window. It slides back about 2 inches and leaves about 8 inches of side window exposed. I have done everything from buy stick on window visors to rubberband a piece of cardboard to the existing visor. Of course, that's only on my Nissan Altima. I would laugh my *** off if I saw someone do that on a vette. You gotta look cool and cardobard and rubberbands don't look cool.
Didier9 (10-04-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To 10 things I don't like about the C8

Old 10-04-2023, 05:51 PM
bmanahan
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 39 Posts

Love my car, but got to agree with 4, 5, and 8.

For 4, you can try to have you seat as high as possible when the top is down. That helps a bit.
A better solution would be to allow us to use the backup camera when the top is down. Not ideal but better than missing half the road..
Old 10-04-2023, 06:27 PM
Didier9
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by qwazipsycho
Complaints? Why would you complain? It's the most awesome corvette ever!

There is 1 thing I hate about a lot of cars including this one. The sun visor is worthless for the side window. It slides back about 2 inches and leaves about 8 inches of side window exposed. I have done everything from buy stick on window visors to rubberband a piece of cardboard to the existing visor. Of course, that's only on my Nissan Altima. I would laugh my *** off if I saw someone do that on a vette. You gotta look cool and cardobard and rubberbands don't look cool.
For me, the visor issue is the approx 2" x 2" square to the left in the corner. My street is East-West so when I leave in the morning and come home in the evening, the sun is right in that spot and it's irritating. I fixed it by buying a Sunpass sticker (for toll roads and bridges in Florida) and I stuck it right there! Problem solved!
Old 10-04-2023, 07:34 PM
J-Fly
Pro

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm a proud two-time graduate of the University of Tennessee and I would never get a car in my alma mater's loud orange color. Yellow is even worse imo. As for #7, you can get an eject button for the passenger seat. But seriously, GM made this car to be as convenient and user-friendly as possible. Your other options are exotic brands that require the driver to make many compromises that leave you thinking why would someone want a McLaren, Lambo, Ferrari, etc. other than to be seen. I wish you the best with your C8.

Quick Reply: 10 things I don't like about the C8