Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Chevrolet Dealers told me they don’t repair run flats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 08:14 AM
Acpantera
Pro

Received 514 Likes on 225 Posts

If it didn't puncture the tire there is nothing to repair! Pull it out, put some spit on the hole, not bubbles, no worries.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 08:41 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

First thing to do is put soapy water on the staple. If it bubbles, the tire needs to be plugged. If no bubbles, just pull the staple from the tire because has not gone through the tire. And no repair is needed.
Acpantera (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 08:42 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by SMOKN C8
I’ve had nothing but stellar service at my local Discount Tire.

They seem to only hire people with great customer service and required hands-on skills to do the job they’ve been hired to do.

They get all my tire business and recommendations when asked where to go.

They are the classic example of what customer service is supposed to be and are family owned and not beholden to share holders.
I love my local Sugar Land store TX044.
Discount Tire (09-08-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 09:10 AM
TensionED
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I have a small diameter staple in my right rear tire so I called my dealer and they told me they don’t fix (plug or patch) run flats that I would need to replace it. So I called another Chevy dealer who also worked on my C8 (they installed my high wing) and they too said they don’t repair run flats that if it’s leaking I would have to buy a new tire. They said something about liability?

Reason I choose these two dealers and not a tire store is both dealers have the latest Hunter tire equipment that won’t scratch, nicks or damage the wheel unlike the old style worn out tire mounting equipment that is common at regular tire stores. And I have not had much luck using Tires Plus, Firestone, Discount Tires.

Judging by the length of the staple leg that’s not in tire it’s doesn’t look that long so not sure it actually penetrated through the run flat. IMPORTANT POINT: THE TIRE IS NOT LEAKING AT THE MOMENT

So what do you recommend I do?
1) Take my chances with a local tire shop?
2) Given it’s not leaking leave the staple in the tire and drive the car until it starts to lose pressure
3) Pull the staple then spray a water soap mixture to see if it leaks if it does bring it to a tire shop for repair

Odd that can definitely be repaired. If your dealer won't do it I would take it to Discount Tire. Only thing I would suggest is that you take a picture of the rim or review it with the advisor. The run flats are not fun or easy to remove and scratches are very common. You don't want to get in a issue where you are told the scratches were already there.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:43 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,226 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Appreciate all the replies and input which helped me plan my course of action.

My C8 is still up on the QuickJack (Hurricane preparedness from Idalia) so I am going to pull the staple to see how deep it penetrated and once pulled spray a soap solution on the area to see if it’s leaking. If it appears it’s not leaking I going to bring the tire pressure to 40psi then recheck it tomorrow. If it lost pressure I’ll remove the wheel then bring it in to Discount Tires to have it fixed.

Again, I appreciate all the comments and input.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maxie2U:
Acpantera (09-07-2023), Discount Tire (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 10:04 AM
bluekey28
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I have not seen anyone addressing the elephant in the room. LEGAL LIABILITY. If a shop repairs a tire that has been punctured, thus possibly compromising it's structural integrity, the shop/company is now married to that tire. Should it deflate or destruct while being driven & causing an accident, law firms will be lining up to sue & collect! Most major retailers in tire sales will also not resell used tires, aka take-offs. Once dismounted the store will slice the side wall to prevent it from being resold & exposing them to further liability if that tire should fail a new owner on down the road. Yes, there is always pressure & incentives to sell new replacements. Safety or savings. The store & customer must decide.
JALLEN4 (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 10:14 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Appreciate all the replies and input which helped me plan my course of action.

My C8 is still up on the QuickJack (Hurricane preparedness from Idalia) so I am going to pull the staple to see how deep it penetrated and once pulled spray a soap solution on the area to see if it’s leaking. If it appears it’s not leaking I going to bring the tire pressure to 40psi then recheck it tomorrow. If it lost pressure I’ll remove the wheel then bring it in to Discount Tires to have it fixed.

Again, I appreciate all the comments and input.
UPDATE: I submitted an on-line appointment with our local Discount Tire Store CORRECTION IT WAS TIRES PLUS which is highly rated just in case it’s leaks when I pull the staple out. Just received a call back from the manager. He told me they can’t patch/repair Michelin Run Flats that are on Corvettes. They’ve had lots of problems trying to remove the tire from the rim/wheel. I asked him why not use a plug he said, “we tried that and we can’t get plugs into those tires”.

There are no Discount Tires near me so I’ll call the closet one to find if they repair run flats since others had success using them .

Last edited by Maxie2U; 09-07-2023 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2023, 10:31 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,203 Likes on 3,404 Posts

UPDATE: I submitted an on-line appointment with our local Discount Tire Store which is highly rated just in case it’s leaks when I pull the staple out. Just received a call back from the manager. He told me they can’t patch/repair Michelin Run Flats that are on Corvettes. They’ve had lots of problems trying to remove the tire from the rim/wheel. I asked him why not use a plug he said, “we tried that and we can’t get plugs into those tires”.

Amazing how things vary from shop to shop! So back to calling around.
I bet if you wanted to buy some new Michelin run flats they'd sell them to you and figure out how to install them.
The following 5 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
GOLD72 (09-07-2023), Greg00Coupe (09-07-2023), JerryU (09-07-2023), Maxie2U (09-07-2023), SMOKN C8 (09-08-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 10:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,651 Likes on 6,649 Posts

Originally Posted by TensionED
Odd that can definitely be repaired. If your dealer won't do it I would take it to Discount Tire. Only thing I would suggest is that you take a picture of the rim or review it with the advisor. The run flats are not fun or easy to remove and scratches are very common. You don't want to get in a issue where you are told the scratches were already there.
Much better than a pic and arguing later is using a bribe to assure it's done right!!

I avoid risks when it's easy to took this tire off and brought it to Discount Tire where I bought tire insurance the week I got my C8 ($225 in 2020.) Did not see the 2nd nail until I took the tire off. The one near the outside required a new tire. About 4 months later had another nail in the other rear tire about where you see the one further in. It was repairable with a Plug/Patch all that they use. So the tire must come off the rim and be remounted and balanced. ALL FREE TO ME. BUT to insure no rim nicks (and as you note, it is a PIA to deal with low profile run flats on a wide rim) I told the manager wanted his best guy and there would be a $20 tip for no rim nicks! Tech looked it over carefully both times before he started for any nicks. As there were none, did a great job and both times got the TIP!
Old 09-07-2023, 10:45 AM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

I just had Discount repair my run flat 2 weeks ago from a screw that was in almost identical location at OP. I have custom wheels and am picky and they always do a great job. It definitely can be repaired at Discount.
Maxie2U (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 11:07 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,517 Likes on 786 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

As I said in my previous post I have had great success over the years having Chevy replace my tires because they have the latest tire machines (like Hunter) unlike your routine tire stores that don’t invest in the latest and they have 10+ years old equipment that are used 30+ times a day! Not to mention they use impact drivers which are grossly out of spec and I doubt are never calibrated.

Then again, looks like I don’t have a choice when it comes to flat repair.
I disagree. Chevy dealers fix a smidgen of the tires in a week Discount does daily. Discount continually upgrades their equipment and if you have problems on the road there are Discounts across the nation. A dealer 1k miles from your home Chevy dealer will not back tire work done at your local dealer. Discount has even rapaired tires of mine not bought there, gratis. They also have balanced (4) tires of one of my Vettes gratis. Why do they do this? As the managers tell me "come back and buy tires from us"

Very few companies provide the kind of service Discount does. Rare these days.
The following 3 users liked this post by gliot1:
Discount Tire (09-07-2023), GOLD72 (09-07-2023), MitchSpence (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 04:24 PM
MitchSpence
Drifting

Received 304 Likes on 153 Posts

That tire needs repair.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:03 PM
Acpantera
Pro

Received 514 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchSpence
That tire needs repair.
So when the staple is pulled and it doesn't leak, what are they going to repair? Are they going to drill a larger hole, puncture the tire, damaging cords, just to put a plug in it? Are they going to dismount the tire to patch a nonexistent hole? About the only thing you could do is put some rubber cement where the staple was, still unnecessary.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acpantera:
Maxie2U (09-07-2023), Walt White Coupe (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 06:12 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Acpantera
So when the staple is pulled and it doesn't leak, what are they going to repair? Are they going to drill a larger hole, puncture the tire, damaging cords, just to put a plug in it? Are they going to dismount the tire to patch a nonexistent hole? About the only thing you could do is put some rubber cement where the staple was, still unnecessary.
Well said.

UPDATE: I pulled the staple and the leg that penetrated the tire wasn’t very long and from the pictures I took it did not puncture the tire. I sprayed a soap mixture which confirmed no air escaping. I filled the tire to 40psi and will check the tire pressure tomorrow to confirm no loss of tire pressure.

Again, I thank everyone for the input and advice.

Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by Maxie2U:
Acpantera (09-07-2023), Discount Tire (09-08-2023), RKCRLR (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 07:01 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

No bubbles, done.
The following 2 users liked this post by Walt White Coupe:
Acpantera (09-07-2023), Maxie2U (09-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Two Chevrolet Dealers told me they don’t repair run flats?