Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer mechanic took my C8 for a 21-mile joyride

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 02:35 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 379 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDMan1
Here is a new Google review i just posted with my secondary account (& without the attachments), and so far it hasn't been challenged:
https://g.co/kgs/87euXJ
Please post a video on youtube. If you did a voiceover the screen shots you could get a lot of publicity. I'd send it to japlopnik too.

I'll post a review on your behalf
Old 09-16-2023, 02:57 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,117 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
exactly. its the point they had no business abusing OP property
AGAIN. There is no evidence at all the car was abused.
Old 09-16-2023, 03:02 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,522 Likes on 4,267 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
They had no business reason for taking the car on the road at all after an oil change. The 21 miles was a joy ride, nothing more.
The following users liked this post:
IrishSpuds (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 03:27 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
They had no business reason for taking the car on the road at all after an oil change. The 21 miles was a joy ride, nothing more.
Not to argue, but you did read about the intermittent problems the tech states he was working on. They were not in the original post but were later added. This is what the tech purports he was working on.
Old 09-16-2023, 03:47 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Abused is a strong word I'll admit but they shouldn't use his belongings without his consent.
Old 09-16-2023, 04:38 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Abused is a strong word I'll admit but they shouldn't use his belongings without his consent.
Again, just to set the record straight, in most cases signing a repair order implies consent to test drive. If you don’t want to give that permission, one should note it on the write-up.
Old 09-16-2023, 05:33 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,117 Likes on 990 Posts

Abusing would be defined as using a car in a way it was not designed to be used.

13 Hard accelerations, which have a very low event recording threshold, and over 80 for .3 duration could hardly be by any stretch of the imagination abuse.

Whether or not the 21 mile drive was warranted is up for debate.
dohabandit (09-20-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 07:38 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Again, just to set the record straight, in most cases signing a repair order implies consent to test drive. If you don’t want to give that permission, one should note it on the write-up.
Again, A 21 mile test drive at those speeds? Indefensible horseshit. The dealership are full of crap if that’s their excuse. Again.
SinisterC6 (09-17-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 06:50 PM
22c8z51
Pro

Received 383 Likes on 196 Posts

All I wanted was to see the recovered PDR...
Attached Images  
DanDMan1 (09-20-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 07:11 AM
mikebutson
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 99 Posts

Wondering if anybody has ever used 'Teen Driver' settings when taking their car to the Dealership for service to maybe avoid this from happening?? Using the 'Valet mode' is not possible as there are too many things that become locked preventing the Dealership from doing service req'd. (ie - unable to open the Frunk). I found this out when I put the car in Valet mode when prior to getting my PPF on my car as the frunk wouldn't open.....I'm wondering if Teen Driver is a way around all of this? At least you can limit the speed of the vehicle??
Old 09-19-2023, 08:34 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Try disk drill

https://www.cleverfiles.com/memory-c...-recovery.html
Old 09-19-2023, 08:54 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Not to argue, but you did read about the intermittent problems the tech states he was working on. They were not in the original post but were later added. This is what the tech purports he was working on.
Could be so. That being the case, if the tech was working on those sporadic problems, the wise thing to do would be to have owned up to it either before, during or closely afterwards. Before is always better tho. He and they did none of that. As the recent saying goes, the coverup is worse than the action, maybe also in this case?????

If the advisor or even the tech had made that one call and said, "This is what needs to be done, do I have your permission?' it could have made a big difference. Advisors (those who do "intake" of the vehicle) don't always know to ask, but the tech does.

I have actually been called on other vehicles twice to say just about the above---"we can't find the same situation you experience we need to take the car out on a lonely road and do some start/stops to duplicate the problem if we can find it. do we have your permission?" It then becomes a simple yes/no. I said yes both times, at least partially because I trusted the tech, and in one example, trusted the advisor even more (a Baja desert racer) and he said he'd do the running of the vehicle with care.
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
22c8z51 (09-19-2023), pdiddy972 (09-20-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 09:07 AM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

I didn't. Originally the OP said none of the other problems were addressed. But even if he was looking for other issues, the fact that he deleted the PDR recording is a huge red flag that can't be excused. As is exceeding 80 mph on public roads.
The following 3 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
22c8z51 (09-19-2023), Aerovette (09-19-2023), pdiddy972 (09-20-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 09:09 AM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Originally Posted by mikebutson
Wondering if anybody has ever used 'Teen Driver' settings when taking their car to the Dealership for service to maybe avoid this from happening?? Using the 'Valet mode' is not possible as there are too many things that become locked preventing the Dealership from doing service req'd. (ie - unable to open the Frunk). I found this out when I put the car in Valet mode when prior to getting my PPF on my car as the frunk wouldn't open.....I'm wondering if Teen Driver is a way around all of this? At least you can limit the speed of the vehicle??
Teen driver limits top speed to 80, so it wouldn't actually prevent much of this. And if the tech realizes it's on, I'm sure he can turn it off with the GM scan tool and software, just like they can turn off valet mode. But it might give you another record of what happened.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:54 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AORoads
Could be so. That being the case, if the tech was working on those sporadic problems, the wise thing to do would be to have owned up to it either before, during or closely afterwards. Before is always better tho. He and they did none of that. As the recent saying goes, the coverup is worse than the action, maybe also in this case?????

If the advisor or even the tech had made that one call and said, "This is what needs to be done, do I have your permission?' it could have made a big difference. Advisors (those who do "intake" of the vehicle) don't always know to ask, but the tech does.

I have actually been called on other vehicles twice to say just about the above---"we can't find the same situation you experience we need to take the car out on a lonely road and do some start/stops to duplicate the problem if we can find it. do we have your permission?" It then becomes a simple yes/no. I said yes both times, at least partially because I trusted the tech, and in one example, trusted the advisor even more (a Baja desert racer) and he said he'd do the running of the vehicle with care.
I lost the thread where there was a coverup. I missed where the tech denied he drove the car. The GM reportedly apologized to the OP at their first meeting and offered compensation.

Factually, every repair order I have ever seen gives the right to the service people to test drive the car. As it should for the job to be done properly. If you don't wish that right to be given, tell the Service Writer.

People are assuming the tech got some great thrill in being honored to drive a C8. In reality, he works on Corvettes regularly and at this point is probably unimpressed with that honor. I would be more convinced he is impressed with claiming the diagnostic time while he is out driving around to figure out the intermittent problems reported.

As far as erasing the recorder, I don't blame the guy! How many people want a camera recording their every move while they are working? If you don't want the car driven...tell the guy. If you want to record the guy while he is working...ask for his permission. He has rights as well!

Frankly, this whole topic is getting boring. It happened, none of us were there and know the whole story, and despite all wishes the tech isn't going to be fired and or hanged at noon.
The following 2 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
dohabandit (09-20-2023), Vega$Vette (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 10:40 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,809 Likes on 2,261 Posts

Originally Posted by OSJones
Last weekend I was looking at a C7 which was on a Chevy lot. It had a misfire which I brought to their attention and a Sales Associate who had some knowledge of cars took it out and I went with him. What he did was torture test the car with multiple WOTs while missing and hesitating on shifts. His reasoning it was just carboned up. Even if they had made it whole I didn't want the car after that. My impression and what do I know anyway is that this is SOP for anyone at the dealership once out of sight. These aren't the smartest guys on the block by any means.
Well, did it stop the misfire? My father had that same theory about blowing the carbon out. And his experience was based on cars from when he was younger as well, so we are talking about a theory that's approaching 100 years old. It doesn't make it any less (or more) valid. My older cars sometimes start up with a mis-fire (30, 37, 60, and 66) but it clears up quickly - but if a later model car is "carboned up", one has to ask why - it doesn't happen with any of my vehicles.

Oh - I did not miss your point about SOP at dealers - I just don't have anything to add about that.
Old 09-19-2023, 11:05 AM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

After 21 miles is should be report to the police and unlawful use of motor vehicle and then I would contact GM at execreferral@cadillac.com and the local news.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer mechanic took my C8 for a 21-mile joyride

Old 09-19-2023, 11:10 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

The whole notion of "blowing out the carbon" as they used to do on carburetted cars doesn't fit modern fuel injected cars where a computer micro manages fueling. Being able to hold a stoichiometric air/fuel ratio (closed loop) at almost all times and rpms from idle to PE means that fuel in the combustion chambers is being completely (or as nearly as can be) consumed and doesn't allow for unburned fuel to remain and contaminate the combustion chambers (remember that rich fuel smell when cars were idling in the old days?). Carburettors were barbaric by comparison and simply unable to match the fueling perfection the common ECU can do today. That is certainly true with a C7, so hope the sales guy had a fun run, but that's about all it was.
OSJones (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 11:12 AM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
To all those thinking this is no big deal...can I borrow your car? I only need it for about 20 minutes.

I totally agree, let me have someone's car? I need to pick up a hooker for about 2 hours, by the way i smoke cigars so dont mind the smoke.
The following 2 users liked this post by HogwildC7:
DanDMan1 (09-20-2023), pdiddy972 (09-20-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 08:16 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 987 Likes on 626 Posts

Wow 14 pages of over blown nothing
The following 2 users liked this post by feeder82:
Acpantera (09-20-2023), StormTrooper R (09-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Dealer mechanic took my C8 for a 21-mile joyride