Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no C9 speculation

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 12:58 PM
One Vettey Boi
Burning Brakes

Received 481 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
Speculate on the C9 Forum... oh wait, there isn't one.
I wasn’t around for the C8 release, but at which point did the C8 forum open? When could we expect a C9 forum?
Old 02-15-2024, 01:13 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,655 Likes on 6,652 Posts

Originally Posted by One Vettey Boi
I wasn’t around for the C8 release, but at which point did the C8 forum open? When could we expect a C9 forum?
Lots of speculation with some folks, like me, convinced for sound business reasons it will be a totally different look EV. Why would you start a Forum with no good info 'only speculation.'
Old 02-15-2024, 01:54 PM
One Vettey Boi
Burning Brakes

Received 481 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Lots of speculation with some folks, like me, convinced for sound business reasons it will be a totally different look EV. Why would you start a Forum with no good info 'only speculation.'
looking at some of the original C8 posts on this forum, it was allll wild speculation. People were gonna die on the hill it would cost $100k+ and that they would make the C7 & C8 together where the C8 was the top of the line performance version.

I know we are still waiting for Zr1 and Zora information but wondering when we will start seeing credible C9 leaks. Also about the supposed SUV. Or wait lists or discussion around what people would like to see for a C9. Would be nice to have a forum for such discussions without clogging this one.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:45 PM
TheBigDog
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Just name the cars Joe Biden. I will never own an EV
Old 02-15-2024, 07:42 PM
2007yellow430
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

Amazing how many folks say they won’t drive an EV who’ve never driven one. I used to race in the early 70s. Ontario was one of my favorite tracks. Never knew there were mountains to the north. You couldn’t see them (The mountains). Now you can. Some things are going to happen, cry all you wish. It’s coming.

Art
Old 02-15-2024, 09:07 PM
jpmotorsport
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 57 Posts

Electric? Probably not a full EV - I would say most likely we would see an option to add a front electric motor / 'eRay' package on the base cars rather than be its own model.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:17 PM
Bluehinder
Drifting

Received 1,269 Likes on 523 Posts

Elon will own it by then, and it will self drive 0-60 in record time.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:21 PM
thunderstrike
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by golddog
It will be all electric and nobody will want it.
I will believe in EV when all Gov't vehicles and Police Cruisers are EV in Alaska.
-- I see no such mandate anywhere!
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Old 02-15-2024, 09:25 PM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,030 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
The fossil fuel car is T Rex. For all intents and purposes. Say it ain't so Joe is sounding its death knell. Before a new Corvette ICE generation can be introduced, it will be illegal to sell it in California. Watched the PGA event last week sponsored by BMW. Featured a dozen+ cars on display around the golf course. All were electrics. EV's are the future and it is now.
Cant say NOPE hard enough. Outside of commifornia ICE caes will continue to be sold into the 2040s, as hybrid gas electrics like the Eray at the very least.

Our infrastructure in the US isnt remotely ready for 100% EV.

Even after pure ICE only cars stop being sold, it will be decades before existing ones filter out of the marker en masse as used cars.

Thank **** I'll be dead by then.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:59 PM
vernevette
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Every time I drive by a gas station on a cold, windy, wet day in my space green kia EV I sorta snicker until I have to fill up 3/4 ton pick up. Love both my cars as they are for different situations. Just lucky to have both.
The following users liked this post:
Acpantera (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 09:44 AM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 594 Posts

I think the odds of a performance hybrid V8 corvette after the ER/Zora for the C8--are pretty slim.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:23 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,519 Likes on 788 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by 2007yellow430
Amazing how many folks say they won’t drive an EV who’ve never driven one. I used to race in the early 70s. Ontario was one of my favorite tracks. Never knew there were mountains to the north. You couldn’t see them (The mountains). Now you can. Some things are going to happen, cry all you wish. It’s coming.

Art
it

It appears the leftists may be wrong on this one. EVs appear to be a bridge not an end solution. GM, VW and Toyota have stated they have better technologies coming and wisely are not diving into the EV myths. Ford did and had a horrible year ending with their CEO shuttering the EV pickup plant. With only 9% of sales, leveling off quickly it appears politicians cant ram these things down Americans throats. The future appears to be a more hybrid approach and/or hydrogen and ammonia powered vehicles. Yes there appears to be some much better solutions coming. The same problems that plagued electrics 100 yrs ago are still the same problems today. Horrible range and lack of convienient charging available. I have a friend dumping his Tesla after one year. Being sold on a 400mi range he almost ran out on a 212 mi trip. If you drive just around town it may work, but most Americans drive distances. The other problem.......Tesla battery packs are $22k with a life of 8-10 yrs. Throw away cars at that point. Then the lefties will whine about battery waste leaching into the ground. Right now there is no recycling progression for lithium batteries. We won't even discuss the infrastructure improvements that will have to be made.....it will be like building the interstate system nationwide.
The following 2 users liked this post by gliot1:
Fast Dawg (02-16-2024), Michael A (02-17-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 10:47 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,655 Likes on 6,652 Posts

Originally Posted by gliot1
it

It appears the leftists may be wrong on this one. ....
I'm far from a Leftist! All those "future systems" sound great on paper. Even my old company says they are looking at using a Plasma Torch to generate "hydrogen. (My old boss invented the process in the 1950's and we sold many, mostly for cutting metal quickly!) Thos announcements make the stock price increase!

I remember when I started college in 1960 that fusion power was just around the corner. Yep hydrogen fuel cells are expensive but viable. However, I worked for a company that was the leading producer/supplier of Hydrogen. In the mid 1980's my counterpart in Market Devlopment was working on Hydrogen supply on all Interstates for 18 wheelers. Only issue was Hydrogen was being produced from petrochemical waste streams!

Oh sure, as all the zealots like to say, it's easy, just get it from water. But this is not high school Chem Lab were you used much more electrical battery energy to produce Hydrogen than that the amount produced cold generate.! Find an economical method to do that. Yep, folks have been trying for a long time but production, storage and distribution are major issues.

GM has spent billions on EV Battery and car production, don't see them switching to Hybrids. Sure my E-Ray (at 3800, made last Wednesday, February 7) was produced BUT that design started when the C8 did in 2012. IMO for a version that is similar BUT would require forced Stop/Start and only start the ICE when the electric motor accelerated the car to ~45 mpg, where most energy is wasted (using Prius type software.)

We may see that as in April 2022 the requirement that was stopped by a Pen in January 2017 that would have the Corvette required to achieve 39 mpg in 2026 (and all other cars on average ~54 mpg) was reinstated in April 2022. It was modified and states the average car will be required to get 49 mpg in 2026. Unlike the first Plan no details on how measured. IMO those will be out after January 2025!
We'll see.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-16-2024 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:49 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,532 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by One Vettey Boi
looking at some of the original C8 posts on this forum, it was allll wild speculation. People were gonna die on the hill it would cost $100k+ and that they would make the C7 & C8 together where the C8 was the top of the line performance version.

I know we are still waiting for Zr1 and Zora information but wondering when we will start seeing credible C9 leaks. Also about the supposed SUV. Or wait lists or discussion around what people would like to see for a C9. Would be nice to have a forum for such discussions without clogging this one.
I did see an article this morning on Corvette Blogger about a leak that a couple of C8 ZR1 mules had just came off the assembly line.
JerryU (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 05:34 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

I heard it's going to be 2,800lbs, rear-mid 5.0 V8 w/350HP/300TQ, 35mpg, three pedals, with ******** round tail lights.
Old 02-17-2024, 02:11 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,930 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
The fossil fuel car is T Rex. For all intents and purposes. Say it ain't so Joe is sounding its death knell. Before a new Corvette ICE generation can be introduced, it will be illegal to sell it in California. Watched the PGA event last week sponsored by BMW. Featured a dozen+ cars on display around the golf course. All were electrics. EV's are the future and it is now.
I've seen lots of trends that never held long term.

* Flying cars
* Turbine cars
* Sterling engine cars
* Station wagons
* Minivans
* Exterior wood paneling

The problem is battery electric cars aren't better at anything than gasoline cars. In fact, they are worse in just about every category. There is no business case for them. They are only here because of government intervention.
3LZR21U (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 02:21 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,930 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007yellow430

Art
That's not because of EVs. The environmental car hating zealots love to claim the pollution problem was 100% the fault of cars, but it wasn't. Much of it was caused by industrial pollution. The same misguided battle cry about CO2 is following the same path. Only 6% of the world's man made CO2 is created by cars and light trucks. The zealots hate cars because they represent personal freedom.

I believe the C9 will by hybrid, with plug-in hybrid optional. Hybrid auto sales have been on the upswing in the last few years, because they are an economical solution to improving fuel economy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael A:
Fast Dawg (02-17-2024), LTC Z06 (02-18-2024)

Quick Reply: no C9 speculation