Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Driving Mode for Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 10:44 AM
jgorss
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Best Driving Mode for Autocross

I like to drive Autocross from time to time and I expect to do a few Autocross events in my C8 once it's past the break-in period. In the past I had a Miata for my track car, which has no driver's aides, just wandering if anyone has taken their C8 to an Autocross event and what was the best driving mode? DCT in Auto or Manual? Track or sport mode?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2023, 10:54 AM
DeltaMobile
Advanced

Received 114 Likes on 54 Posts

What happened to the Miata? Most people I know beat the hell out of their Miata on the track and keep their C8 all nice for Saturday night.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:17 AM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I'd do manual mode so you don't accidentally change gears when you don't want to and upset the traction. I have no issue using ptm sport on a normal surface. Doesn't slow me down. If you feel it slows you down bump it up to R1
The following users liked this post:
Undy (08-10-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 11:20 AM
don.bernow@mts.com
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorss
I like to drive Autocross from time to time and I expect to do a few Autocross events in my C8 once it's past the break-in period. In the past I had a Miata for my track car, which has no driver's aides, just wandering if anyone has taken their C8 to an Autocross event and what was the best driving mode? DCT in Auto or Manual? Track or sport mode?

Thanks
Z51 or not?

Old 08-09-2023, 11:20 AM
jgorss
Racer

Originally Posted by DeltaMobile
What happened to the Miata? Most people I know beat the hell out of their Miata on the track and keep their C8 all nice for Saturday night.
EFR Turbo + 15psi boost = blown engine for the second time! I'm to old to keep rebuilding engines.

I plan on taking it easy on the Vette, just want to feel it on the track.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:28 AM
jgorss
Racer

Originally Posted by don.bernow@mts.com
Z51 or not?
Non-z51
but I added Mag Ride
Old 08-09-2023, 11:34 AM
don.bernow@mts.com
Advanced

Mine is non-Z51 as well. Mag ride and perf exhaust.b Try Sport mode first in Comp mode (double press of TC button after switching into sport mode. This will be with some stability safety on. Car won't do anything bad if you ham fist it. Your choice on manual or auto shift mode.
Once you go around a few times try Race mode in comp mode. Much stiffer and flatter. Car will still not let you do anything dumb. For the brave, Track with traction and stab off. But be VERY careful as the car will step out easily into oversteer.
Non Z51 does not have PTM so no need to worry about.
Have Fun! The car is very precise and will go where you put it.
Mrchen (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 11:35 AM
Zormecteon
Drifting

Received 1,378 Likes on 675 Posts

May take some experimentation. to get it to your liking.
Use Z mode to set all parameters .. NPP open, Suspension Max, Brake ??? , Steering ??? .. and as mention above Manual for Tranny.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:38 AM
don.bernow@mts.com
Advanced

Mine is non-Z51 as well. Mag ride and perf exhaust.b Try Sport mode first in Comp mode (double press of TC button after switching into sport mode. This will be with some stability safety on. Car won't do anything bad if you ham fist it. Your choice on manual or auto shift mode.
Once you go around a few times try Race mode in comp mode. Much stiffer and flatter. Car will still not let you do anything dumb. For the brave, Track with traction and stab off. But be VERY careful as the car will step out easily into oversteer.
Non Z51 does not have PTM so no need to worry about.
Have Fun! The car is very precise and will go where you put it.
Sorry, meant Track not Race.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:05 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Non-z51
but I added Mag Ride
If you have non z51 you don't have ptm.

So for that I'd setup z mode to your preferences...

Suspension I'd try out in track mode.

Engine I'd put in track mode. You'll be using manual mode anyways.

Steering I'd use what you like best. For autocross I like your mode because the transitions are extremely fast and the light steering helps imo. But that's pure preference.

Brakes is out to track.

Then once in the right DRIVE mode you want to choose your level of stability control/ TC. I'd try competitive ESC mode. If you feel that's too intrusive you can hold the button down and all nannies will be off
Old 08-09-2023, 12:35 PM
Bill Baird
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 2023 convertible with Z51 and Mag Ride, so my settings won't totally help you, but here they are:

I run the stock summer tires.
I use the street alignment.
I've had the two quarts of extra tranny fluid added.

I typically run in Track mode, using PTM Race1.
I manually shift. I normally don't mind the gears that the car chooses whilst driving on the street, but I don't care for its choices while autocrossing.
Usually on the courses I run, I'll start in first gear, upshift to second, and run that for most of the course, with an occasional shift to third on a longer "straight".

Bill B.

Last edited by Bill Baird; 08-09-2023 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:44 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Z51 or not?
That's irrelevant for autocross.

Z51 package was designed for long multi-lap road course sessions with extra trans cooling, bigger brakes and different pads making them are more fade-resistant, which is necessary for long track sessions. With MSRC in TRACK mode, a non-Z51 should be equal in the short autocross sessions, and time between sessions to let things things cool down.

Even the AS4 vs. PS4S tire difference should be negligible in autocross. Spring Mt. pros found Micheliin UHP all seasons essentially equal to the summer tires for the first couple of laps, but after that, the AS4 begins to lose grip when very hot. That's not going to happen in a short autocross session. GM tests show the PS4S only 0.1g less than the AS4 in skid-pad performance.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:53 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's irrelevant for autocross.

Z51 package was designed for long multi-lap road course sessions with extra trans cooling, bigger brakes and different pads making them are more fade-resistant, which is necessary for long track sessions. With MSRC in TRACK mode, a non-Z51 should be equal in the short autocross sessions, and time between sessions to let things things cool down.

Even the AS4 vs. PS4S tire difference should be negligible in autocross. Spring Mt. pros found Micheliin UHP all seasons essentially equal to the summer tires for the first couple of laps, but after that, the AS4 begins to lose grip when very hot. That's not going to happen in a short autocross session. GM tests show the PS4S only 0.1g less than the AS4 in skid-pad performance.
It's relevant because if the OP doesn't have z51 and mag ride we will be giving different stability control advice. Ptm modes versus competitive vs ESC only off vs all off.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:01 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Thats round-off error in an autocross session, but not on a road course. I used to compete in SCCA Solo, and the fastest cars didn't have any driver aids. It's an all-driver sport.

Having said that, type of car can make a big difference. I competed in an a Lotus Elise, which was also in the SS class along the with C6 Z06. We beat them most of the time.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-12-2023 at 01:17 PM.
bhvrdr (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 01:01 PM
don.bernow@mts.com
Advanced

I dont' agree. The photo above is with the performance summer Z51 tires. Perform better than all seasons. Less front push, better turn in, and better traction in the rear coming out. More stable on HARD braking too.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:04 PM
don.bernow@mts.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by Foosh
Thats round-off error in an autocross session, but not on a road course. I've used to compete in SCCA Solo, and the fastest cars didn't have any driver aids. It's an all-driver sport.

Having said that, type of car can make a big difference. I competed in an a Lotus Elise, which was also in the SS class along the with C6 Z06. We beat them most of the time.
Yep. No traction/stability aids typically faster. Wait till your big *** CAM car gets spanked by good drivers stock class Miatas and GTIs. Its a bit humbling.
Foosh (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 01:15 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Thanks
My daughter and I autocross all over the country in my 21. For most races I run in Track mode (turn dial twice to right, hit traction control two times, turn dial all the way to the last setting Race 2). If I do a ProSolo (drag race start with tree), I use Z mode with all settings maxed out, but steering. That stays on full soft (quick).

Mine's a Z51 with Mag Ride. I run both full auto in D and manual shifting depending on the track.

proeagles (08-09-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Best Driving Mode for Autocross

Old 08-09-2023, 01:33 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,163 Likes on 899 Posts

I'll be only one of two who say to leave in auto. With the sport/track settings, the DCT will stay in the right gear for an autocross course. It will likely shift into second and stay in second the whole time unless you have fairly long straight. I recall a video of Randy Pobst saying the DCT was so fast and accurate, might as well let it do all the work. Autocross is all about the driver all things being equal. If R compound tires are allowed in your class, they will make a difference despite what nay sayers say about not enough time to get heat in them. Back when I raced Miatas, I was consistently pounded by a driver who had them and when I switched, different ball game.

Last edited by proeagles; 08-09-2023 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 08-09-2023, 01:42 PM
Bill Baird
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by proeagles
I'll be only one of two who say to leave in auto. With the sport/track settings, the DCT will stay in the right gear for an autocross course. It will likely shift into second and stay in second the whole time unless you have fairly long straight. I recall a video of Randy Pobst saying the DCT was so fast and accurate, might as well let it do all the work.
I have to disagree, though I suppose it could depend on the course.
I found it shifting into 3rd far too often when I let the car do the shifting, and it wasn't on a particularly long straight section. It surprised me a little bit.

One of my fellow racers (who was corner working when I ran) noticed it as well, and asked me about it when I later joined him in the corner. He asked me "Are you shifting or are you letting the car shift?"
I told him that I had been letting the car shift that day (it was my first time autocrossing the C8), but that was the last time that I let the car shift while autocrossing.

Bill B.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:44 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by proeagles
I'll be only one of two who say to leave in auto. With the sport/track settings, the DCT will stay in the right gear for an autocross course. It will likely shift into second and stay in second the whole time unless you have fairly long straight. I recall a video of Randy Pobst saying the DCT was so fast and accurate, might as well let it do all the work. Autocross is all about the driver all things being equal. If R compound tires are allowed in your class, they will make a difference despite what nay sayers say about not enough time to get heat in them. Back when I raced Miatas, I was consistently pounded by a driver who had them and when I switched, different ball game.
My picture is of Matthew Braun at the 2022 SCCA National Championships in Lincoln, NE. He kept it in full auto and finished 3rd of a fairly large field. He was "JUST" edged out by a GT3 and a GT4. Pretty proud of how the car finished, and Matthew's finish was what he expected. The C8 is an AWESOME car, but the GT3's still own this sport.

At the same event, but in the ProSolo, my daughter finished on the podium in 2nd place racing my SSR car in SSPL (prepared cars), so she was behind the 8-ball from the beginning. Down on power, down on aero, down on wheel/tire size, .... She did beat a GT3, but lost to Michelle Wong. That was Michelle's 11th straight national championship, and daughter was not very far off.

Car performed very well in Lincoln.

Last edited by Datawiz; 08-09-2023 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Driving Mode for Autocross