Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boring??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 01:56 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by undecided1965
just needs 50 more hp amd better wind insulation for highway driving
No, not for me. And I have that in the C8 and 911 Turbo S. What I like the most about the MX-5 is it's 1K+ lbs. less weight (2200 lbs. in Club trim). That's what makes it so special.

Most folks today have forgotten how special a super lightweight car can be. MX-5 is about the only one left still for sale in the US. What would ruin the MX-5 for me is adding more creature comforts, power, insulation, and weight.

In gen 4 (ND1 and ND2), Mazda made it a point to get the weight back down to essentially what it was in the original gen 1 in 1989. I extensively tracked my gen 1 (NA), and skipped gens 2, and 3 because of the weight gains. Gen 4 brought me back because they got back to basics, and it's the most powerful MX-5 ever.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-06-2023 at 02:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TeeH (08-10-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 01:57 PM
vrhaines
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Absolutely, that's the one for you if you really know that the Hellcat's qualities are the ones that you value and will enjoy the most. It's the "really know" part that is most difficult to ascertain without a lot of experience in the car.
i thought about it.

interior quality on the corvette is so much better it makes me want to puke at the thought of dropping 80 + for a challenger.

but, they going the way of the dodo and I can put my kids in the back.

I just have resolved myself to the vette being for ME.
Old 08-06-2023, 04:17 PM
Z06-1
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tadda
Because the C8 is not a muscle car in any way and is a far more sophisticated sports car than the ones you mention! (i.e. Scat Pack, ZL1, SS 1LE)
bro boring?????? Wow had my c8 htc for a week and im still high from the ride and handling i got with the mag ride .....got totaled a week later some punk rear ended me ....go get a buick bro you will be more content✌️
Old 08-06-2023, 04:51 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,941 Likes on 2,673 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Z06-1
bro boring?????? Wow had my c8 htc for a week and im still high from the ride and handling i got with the mag ride .....got totaled a week later some punk rear ended me ....go get a buick bro you will be more content✌️
HUH? I think you're responding to the wrong post or simply read mine incorrectly bro.....I never said nor implied the C8 was Boring in any way bro! I said it's not a muscle car....I think my C8 is amazing bro!

Last edited by tadda; 08-06-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Fast Dawg (08-07-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 05:44 PM
vrhaines
Instructor

Originally Posted by tadda
HUH? I think you're responding to the wrong post or simply read mine incorrectly bro.....I never said nor implied the C8 was Boring in any way bro! I said it's not a muscle car....I think my C8 is amazing bro!
probably responding to me, considering the thread is entitled “boring?”
tadda (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 06:22 PM
IGTGI22!
Melting Slicks

Received 370 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by vrhaines
maybe i’ll trade it on a hellcat challenger.
🤮🤢🤮
Old 08-06-2023, 06:22 PM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 474 Likes on 285 Posts
Default I get it

No, not for me. And I have that in the C8 and 911 Turbo S. What I like the most about the MX-5 is it's 1K+ lbs. less weight (2200 lbs. in Club trim). That's what makes it so special.

Most folks today have forgotten how special a super lightweight car can be. MX-5 is about the only one left still for sale in the US. What would ruin the MX-5 for me is adding more creature comforts, power, insulation, and weight.

In gen 4 (ND1 and ND2), Mazda made it a point to get the weight back down to essentially what it was in the original gen 1 in 1989. I extensively tracked my gen 1 (NA), and skipped gens 2, and 3 because of the weight gains. Gen 4 brought me back because they got back to basics, and it's the most powerful MX-5 ever.
But that makes the MX-5 a 2nd or 3rd car at best. It's just not a car you can go anywhere on the highway with. The noise coming into the cabin is just too much.
Old 08-06-2023, 06:31 PM
trumanjd1
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

I don't find my C8 boring, even though I only have the NPP exhaust. If I did I would sell it and buy a different car.
How does the NPP exhaust sound compared to the C7 GS? Same , better or worse?

Old 08-06-2023, 07:50 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,199 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by trumanjd1
I don't find my C8 boring, even though I only have the NPP exhaust. If I did I would sell it and buy a different car.
How does the NPP exhaust sound compared to the C7 GS? Same , better or worse?
C8 is quieter inside the car even with the NPP in Track. C7s sound even better if you change out the H-pipe to remove the secondary cats.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:01 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange52
Glad I found this thread, I thought I was the only one who isn't super thrilled with the C8.
I picked up mine one month ago today (7/5/2023),
It’s just not a car that when I park and walk away, I look back and go "Oh hell yeah!".

Totally agree with this. I had a C8 for a year and it wasn’t so much that I got bored with the car very quickly, which I did, it was just plain ugly. GM got a lot right with this car but their mid engine design is awkward and clunky. I couldn’t stand looking at it anymore. It has none of the grace or stunning styling of some other well honed mid engine cars.

Sold it for a hell of a profit and bought a nearly new ’19 Z06. Love it. A blast to drive and it’s muscular and beautiful. If I ever do get another Corvette, it would have to be a C9. Perhaps by then GM will add some better styling to their otherwise exceptional car.

dvilin (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 07:37 AM
vrhaines
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z06-1
Sorry for your loss but having it for a week isnt exactly the sample size needed to fully vet the car's feel. What did you own before the C8?
Old 08-07-2023, 07:48 AM
satisfaxtion
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rooster96
Its pretty simple; the C8 has high capabilities and the limits are equally high. When a car performs and handles as effortless as it does, it will seem boring at speeds that other cars are exciting at. Push the C8 to the limit and the boring goes away.
If your highway speed doesn't exceed 70mph you will be bored in this car. Those owners are better off with a 60's big block with side pipes, a 4-gear and a 411 rear end. 70mph feels like 150
Hey Rooster96-
Right on the money - I just had my C8 at the Rolex course in Daytona- first session was on wet track; second was dry-
pushing the car to my current limits- IT AIN'T BORING-

Anyone who is bored or finds their Corvette boring- take it to the track-
get some adrenaline going-

The C8 does it all -
JerriVette (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 08:01 AM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

Had my C8 for 3 years and recently traded it for a ZL1. The C8 was just too refined and polished for me. In a weekend car I just want more personality and I guess more drama. I found myself driving it less and less. It's an incredible piece of machinery but just wasn't for me.
Old 08-07-2023, 08:06 AM
vrhaines
Instructor

Originally Posted by Goaty
Had my C8 for 3 years and recently traded it for a ZL1. The C8 was just too refined and polished for me. In a weekend car I just want more personality and I guess more drama. I found myself driving it less and less. It's an incredible piece of machinery but just wasn't for me.
this is where I am. It’s not a daily. So drama is desired.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Wyldfyer
Pro

Received 500 Likes on 252 Posts

I used to think test drives were somewhat useful, but as I've gained much more experience with dozens of vehicles, I've concluded they aren't. It takes me at least a month or more of experience with a vehicle to decide whether I find it worthy of being a multi-year keeper or not.

Novelty and excitement about something new often interferes with objectivity. Some of my purchased sports cars, that I was initially excited about in test drives, ended up getting sold or traded after a year.
Makes sense. Luckily I'm in tune with myself and so I know what I'm looking for. I know what I want to feel when I'm driving and how I want to feel when I step out. I mean, I would never NOT test drive if a test drive is available, lol.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:39 AM
Wyldfyer
Pro

Originally Posted by satisfaxtion
Hey Rooster96-
Right on the money - I just had my C8 at the Rolex course in Daytona- first session was on wet track; second was dry-
pushing the car to my current limits- IT AIN'T BORING-

Anyone who is bored or finds their Corvette boring- take it to the track-
get some adrenaline going-

The C8 does it all -
I totally get this. But then... we're changing the subject a little bit. Beating it on the track doesn't make it feel less boring on the street. Two totally different topics.

And I think we are all in agreement if we say you have to break the law in order for it to not be boring lol.

I think I've figured it out though. Like many have said, the SR is very refined. It's a very good car and more so a cruiser with very high limits when you push it. However, Chevy left a lot on the table but now I see it was on purpose. After driving my Z06 for a few days, I realize they corrected everything that made the SR feel boring.
IMHO:
  • They realized there should be more noise coming into the cockpit and they corrected that. This directly impacts the driver experience.
  • They realized they could enhance the fun factor with a little bit more crackling and popping of the exhaust, even at legal speeds...and they corrected that.
You don't need a FPC to achieve this and that was the first thing my brother and I both mentioned. But like many suggested, aftermarket exhaust, high-flow cats, and headers will bring the SR to life. Chevy could have done more with the SR but again, I think they held back with a goal of juxtaposing the SR and Z06.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:06 AM
Wyldfyer
Pro

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV

Totally agree with this. I had a C8 for a year and it wasn’t so much that I got bored with the car very quickly, which I did, it was just plain ugly. GM got a lot right with this car but their mid engine design is awkward and clunky. I couldn’t stand looking at it anymore. It has none of the grace or stunning styling of some other well honed mid engine cars.

Sold it for a hell of a profit and bought a nearly new ’19 Z06. Love it. A blast to drive and it’s muscular and beautiful. If I ever do get another Corvette, it would have to be a C9. Perhaps by then GM will add some better styling to their otherwise exceptional car.
I don't think I ever thought it was ugly and I absolutely prefer the C8 over the looks of the C7 (the back of the C7 is just horrible). However, GM absolutely dropped the ball on the wheels. To me, C8 SRs with stock wheels make them look generic. However, when you put some aftermarket wheels on the car and lower it just a bit, it looks incredible!

Night and Day

Last edited by Wyldfyer; 08-07-2023 at 02:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Boring??

Old 08-07-2023, 11:51 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,149 Posts

^^^^^
Yes

The following 2 users liked this post by Walt White Coupe:
Bozdx (08-07-2023), Wyldfyer (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 11:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
I don't think I ever thought it was ugly and I absolutely prefer the C8 over the looks of the C7 (the back of the C7 is just horrible). However, GM absolutely dropped the ball on the wheels. To me, C8's with stock wheels make them look generic. However, when you put some aftermarket wheels on the car and lowered it just a bit, it looks incredible!

Night and Day
That is why there are ~100 companies making all kinds of wheels! Never can please everybody! But frankly have not had a wheel selection issue with my 6 Vettes and won't my planned 7th (as I did with some other cars and added aftermarket - for some to go Plus 1.)

And frankly some who think their wheels are "sick" (current vernacular) I would not put on my C8 if free!

To Each Their Own! Some just have a need to keep the aftermarket in business! Found OEM wheels I liked for all my 6 Vettes.

And my planned 7th. Not even a premium price!
Old 08-07-2023, 12:00 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
Makes sense. Luckily I'm in tune with myself and so I know what I'm looking for. I know what I want to feel when I'm driving and how I want to feel when I step out. I mean, I would never NOT test drive if a test drive is available, lol.
I can say the same thing, but if you are "in tune" with both yourself and have a lot of sports car experience, it never fails that you discover many things after a month and 1K miles of use in all kinds of driving situations that you'll never discover in a test drive. I've had many cases where I loved a car initially, then chilled after relatively short periods of time.

I learn a lot more from watching and reading many tests, and driving evaluations and averaging them together. You discover many recurring themes over many reviews. That's a lot more valuable than test drives.
JerryU (08-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Boring??