Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi, I知 Mickie and new to the group.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 02:25 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Hi Mickie!
You're so fine

You're so fine
You blow my mind
Hi Mickie!
Hi Mickie!

Sorry, had to do it. Welcome to the Forum! Regarding the manual, had a manual C7 from 2014 to 2020. Hated it. Couldn稚 wait for my 2020 C8 to get delivered. The DCT in the C8 is probably unlike any automatic you致e driven (for the better!).

Old 08-03-2023, 06:51 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,735 Likes on 3,013 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Welcome to the forum Mickie! The C8 dct auto trans is WAY better than previous generations, I think that you will be impressed
Old 08-03-2023, 07:19 AM
Mrchen
Racer

Received 378 Likes on 182 Posts

welcome to the forum, yes it certainly bothers me that the C8 can only be ordered as an automatic but I was so impressed with the design on the new mid engined car that I decided I would have to just accept it, surely it is not as fun, surely the automatic is probably faster, but this car is awesome, you have to get one
Old 08-03-2023, 07:20 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,405 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickie
I have been a Corvette owner since my 18th birthday. I have owned 5 so far. I知 thinking about a C8, but haven稚 had but 1 automatic many years back. I知 not sure if I can get used to an automatic. Has anyone else made this transition, and if so, are you happy?
Welcome to the forum, Mickie! I've only owned 3 Corvettes, a 2000 FRC (M6 tranny, the only way the FRC came) with almost 300k miles, a 2014 M7 that I sold with 140k miles, and our 2020, which has just clicked over 20k miles (bought it in February with 13k on the clock). I've always loved rowing the gears, and I wondered what I would think of the DCT.

TL DR: I love my C8 and it's DCT.

Long version:
When driving around town, put it in D and it feels just like the automatic transmission it is. If you pull on a shift paddle it transitions to manual mode for 15 seconds (I think) then reverts back to D. Of course, if you put it in M it then stays there, rev limiting if you hit redline, downshifting when you're coming to a stop. Oh, and it won't let you downshift if that would exceed the redline. Other than that you have full control.

Yeah, a perfect rev-match heel-toe downshift is quite satisfying, but that really never happens on the street (we just rev-match while *maybe* touching the brake pedal). Autocross or track events gives you the opportunity to really hone your heel-toe techniques, but honestly I'd rather be concentrating on the line and getting that corner just right than figuring out how hard to stab the throttle while braking.

So, where do I stand? The tech in the C8 is a full step above what you could get in the C7, and light years beyond my C5 (which I still enjoy driving). With 7k miles driven in the past 6 months, I can say I really like the DCT. I really like manually downshifting to the gear I want when I'm passing a car on a rural road (of which we have plenty here in Arkansas), then letting the tranny revert back to D when I'm back to cruising.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-03-2023, 10:18 AM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 287 Likes on 127 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Mickie
I have been a Corvette owner since my 18th birthday. I have owned 5 so far. I知 thinking about a C8, but haven稚 had but 1 automatic many years back. I知 not sure if I can get used to an automatic. Has anyone else made this transition, and if so, are you happy?
Welcome to the Forum.

The C8 tranny is a DCT, not an automatic. While it has an automatic mode, the manual mode is more engaging to drive. You just shift with paddles instead of a clutch. I've had four Vettes, all traditional manuals except for the C8. The DCT is insane with its capabilities and I haven't looked back once or missed using a clutch.
The following users liked this post:
VetteDrmr (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 01:17 PM
eurostyle
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome Mickie "MOUSE" lol
Old 08-03-2023, 06:02 PM
SMOKN C8
Drifting

Received 1,870 Likes on 829 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Welcome

Quick Reply: Hi, I知 Mickie and new to the group.