Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is Magnetic Selective Ride Control Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 07:13 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

I've never had a car with it. But after doing my research for my 2024, it's on the list.
Old 07-27-2023, 07:22 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut1
I have no idea what the skill level of any of the members who posted on this thread (and while I was recruited many times to go pro when I was younger and have taught countless drivers over the years) and age has certainly robbed me of a great deal of my skill (though I was told recently that some track youngsters commented that old man can make a car dance) and while I probably would have spec'd a C8 with mag ride, the used one I bought does not have it. It rides better than any other sports car I've ever owned (or any of the ones I own now) and while I cannot comment on track use, on the street (even in track mode with the nannies as off as they can be) I think the car is very good and see no need for mag ride. Keep in mind everyone's opinions are based on their own skill level, their past experience, and the cars they have owned in their lives.

great advice. I suspect the base cars can out perform most drivers on here especially on the street. Heck it may be all of us!
Old 07-27-2023, 09:30 PM
Fishfryer527
Burning Brakes

Received 1,060 Likes on 488 Posts

Not needed. Neither is Z51. BUT… since I’m never going to own a Ferrari, I want the most capable vette. But… not needed.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:45 PM
Didier9
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

My wife has a C8 with no MSRC and I have a C8 with MSRC. Neither are Z51. The difference is noticeable but in normal driving, the non MSRC is fine. The MSRC settles faster after large bumps, but these are not the most uncomfortable circumstances when driving a C8. The biggest difference I have noticed is if you take a turn and there is a large bump in the turn. The MSRC settles much faster and the car seems to not care, the trajectory does not change when going over the bump in a turn. With my wife’s car, the car steps aside a bit.
An example where it makes no difference and I wish it did is going over the sharp transversal cuts when going over bridges. The wide tires are unforgiving. Don’t expect the MSRC to help with that.

For the modest cost, I am glad I took it on my car though. The increased stability in bumpy turns is noticeable.

I occasionally put the car in sport mode and there also you can definitely feel the difference, but I do not do it often and I do not go on the track, so I can’t really comment on those situations.
The following users liked this post:
RKCRLR (07-28-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 10:39 PM
jweiss12
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 35 Posts

There are so many of these threads and everyone will share their opinions based upon personal preference and what is in their own car.

FWIW, I have it in my ‘23 70th Anniversary HTC, had it on my ‘22 3LT Coupe, but didn’t have it on my ‘21 Z51 Coupe. I also had a mix of with and withouts on a number of C7s.

I honestly believe that for street driving, whether Z51 or base, it really isn’t needed so long as you run the proper psi in your tires (30psi). All C8s are very compliant on street, with the exception of track mode in a MagRide car. That is way too stiff for driving around town.

The real benefit to MagRide is on track or at the limit road course driving. The system allows you to keep a more consistent contact patch with the road below you over rough or uneven pavement. That is its biggest benefit.

If I was buying a daily driver or just street use car, I wouldn’t care about MagRide either way. These cars, especially for dedicated sports cars, ride wonderfully with or without. Again, make sure you set the proper tire pressure. It makes a world of difference.
Old 07-28-2023, 02:34 AM
wheelswithinwheels
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I drive 99.9% of time in Sport Mode with my C7 and never missed it and it would actually be a waste of $$ so It's not on my C8 either.

I think it is for the old farts here who cant drive or need the caddy ride which is what I don't want. I want to feel the road not float over it with a sponged-up ride.
Old 07-28-2023, 09:47 AM
IGTGI22!
Melting Slicks

Received 370 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelswithinwheels

I think it is for the old farts here who cant drive or need the caddy ride which is what I don't want. I want to feel the road not float over it with a sponged-up ride.
👌
Old 07-28-2023, 11:17 AM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 492 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by StormTrooper R
I test drove a couple of C8s without magride and one with it. The test drive with it was all I needed to confirm that I was only going to look for cars with it.

Those who are saying there is no difference must not be talking about C8s or they have a very different way of interpreting a smooth ride.
Exactly!! I don't understand how somebody cannot feel the difference in ride modes with mag ride. It's so noticeable! And for those that never had had it, and said it's not needed, don't know what their talking about/missing. It's the one option that was non-negotiable for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7Me:
bob118 (07-28-2023), StormTrooper R (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 11:27 AM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 492 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by jweiss12
There are so many of these threads and everyone will share their opinions based upon personal preference and what is in their own car.

FWIW, I have it in my ‘23 70th Anniversary HTC, had it on my ‘22 3LT Coupe, but didn’t have it on my ‘21 Z51 Coupe. I also had a mix of with and withouts on a number of C7s.

I honestly believe that for street driving, whether Z51 or base, it really isn’t needed so long as you run the proper psi in your tires (30psi). All C8s are very compliant on street, with the exception of track mode in a MagRide car. That is way too stiff for driving around town.

The real benefit to MagRide is on track or at the limit road course driving. The system allows you to keep a more consistent contact patch with the road below you over rough or uneven pavement. That is its biggest benefit.

If I was buying a daily driver or just street use car, I wouldn’t care about MagRide either way. These cars, especially for dedicated sports cars, ride wonderfully with or without. Again, make sure you set the proper tire pressure. It makes a world of difference.
I don't understand this thinking. Why is having a "more consistent contact patch with the road below you over rough or uneven pavement" just a benefit on the track?? In my mind, that would be a huge benefit anywhere and everywhere, especially on the street where there is more of that. Definitely would be more important than on a track.
StormTrooper R (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 11:28 AM
bob118
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey who are you calling an old FART! LOL! I've waited so long to get a C8 and after paying for college and weddings it's now my time. Can't help it if it took me this long to get one. And yes, it will be used for touring and driving in the countryside. Thanks for your comments all taken with a bit humor of course .
The following 3 users liked this post by bob118:
Blue Lion (07-28-2023), Bozdx (07-28-2023), Fast Dawg (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 11:29 AM
wheelswithinwheels
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Ps

I hardly even if feel the change in the dial from Sport to Tour etc so those who feel the MRC is worth it then great.

REAL CRIME HERE is why GM put such **** cast wheels on C7 GS that bend like tinfoil renders this whole bs ride thing moot
Old 07-28-2023, 12:34 PM
16falcon
Drifting

Received 1,168 Likes on 624 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

I was on the fence about MSRC on my 2021 non Z51 HTC, as this was my first car that had it as an option. I am so glad I decided to get it. I find a very noticeable difference when changing modes. It will be a requirement on any future car that has it as an option.
RKCRLR (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 12:42 PM
Jean Fume
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bob118
I saw a 23 used C8 1LT at MM with 2,800 miles on it used, It is an exact C8 with all the options and extras that I want to order. BUT it does not have the MSRC. I have read some threads here that for a better ride you should have it otherwise it could be a stiff ride. I have an order in with my local dealer but am still waiting on an allocation to come up. I would have jumped at this but I know for a better ride I should have it. I've waited 67 years so far so 6-9 months shouldn't bother me at this point. What are your opinions? Thanks
Don't let your dreams being altered by reducing your options or accessoires to save some weeks.
I am in the same situation as you are and wait since 11 months altough the dealer said delivery in April 2023.
Fast Dawg (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 01:09 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Would not have a C8 without Mag Ride.
The following 2 users liked this post by cmonkey713:
RKCRLR (07-28-2023), StormTrooper R (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 02:12 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

It's essential for me. I wouldn't purchase either a C7 or C8 without it. Obviously, many others don't feel that way.

That's why it never really helps to solicit opinions on questions such as this on a forum full of strangers for whom you have no clue what their level of driving sophistication is.
Old 07-28-2023, 04:35 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,803 Likes on 667 Posts

My C7 base coupe didn't have magride and it was a great handling road trip car with a very comfortable ride. The C7 Z-51 with no magride provides a poor ride quality on even mediocre roads while on rough roads it just plain sucks. My '23 non Z-51 with magride is (for me) the right combination. For longer cruises of 3+ hours it's a joy to drive but I can stiffen up the suspension for whatever fun road I may find myself on.
Didier9 (07-29-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 04:51 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
On a non-Z51 the ride will be fine without MSRC other than bad roads. But you won't be able to stiffen up the suspension for spirited driving.

On a Z51 it allows you to soften the ride similar to a non-Z51.
This.
But I add that depending on what you want from the car or how you will use the car, MSRC is nice to have. But to answer the OP's question directly, MSRC is not important. Personally, I would not drive a C8 without it, especially a Z51.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chemdawg99:
Didier9 (07-29-2023), RKCRLR (07-28-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To How important is Magnetic Selective Ride Control Opinions

Old 07-28-2023, 05:23 PM
STINGmole
Racer

Received 319 Likes on 153 Posts

It's not important, but is desirable to have.

Lots of talk about use on the track, but I feel the real benefit is the way the car handles on rural roads with railroad tracks, dips and elevation changes, potholes, and rough roads when equipped with mag ride.

I like a firm ride with no body roll, so it's a must on the non Z51 to me. I could have gone either way with the Z51, but feel it offers a more comfortable ride (closer to the non Z51 without mag ride) in the lowest setting.

Mag ride isn't all about soft or stiff ride though. It keeps the car level and prevents bounce and sway over uneven surfaces.

​​​​​​
The following 3 users liked this post by STINGmole:
Chemdawg99 (07-28-2023), Didier9 (07-29-2023), RKCRLR (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 05:46 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by STINGmole

Lots of talk about use on the track, but I feel the real benefit is the way the car handles on rural roads with railroad tracks, dips and elevation changes, potholes, and rough roads when equipped with mag ride.

I like a firm ride with no body roll, so it's a must on the non Z51 to me. I could have gone either way with the Z51, but feel it offers a more comfortable ride (closer to the non Z51 without mag ride) in the lowest setting.

Mag ride isn't all about soft or stiff ride though. It keeps the car level and prevents bounce and sway over uneven surfaces.

​​​​​​
Facts.
Old 07-28-2023, 05:49 PM
Mvfvette1
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by STINGmole

​​​​​​
Yes, there is way too much focus on mag ride simply making the ride more compliant or being able to stiffen up the shocks. The real magic is the control it gives the car. Going around a turn that has bumps and/or expansion cracks is where you can really feel a difference. The mag ride eliminates much of jitter and settles the car down.

This is an old promo video from the c5 and mag ride has come a long way since. I think it's one of gm's most impressive technologies:

The following 3 users liked this post by Mvfvette1:
Chemdawg99 (07-28-2023), Didier9 (07-29-2023), STINGmole (07-28-2023)

Quick Reply: How important is Magnetic Selective Ride Control Opinions