Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build choices...back on the path to a vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 10:17 AM
jipper
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 237 Posts
Default Build choices...back on the path to a vette

All:
Its been a while since i've been on here - sold my C7 back in 2021 and have been waiting to get back in a vette....luckily i have a good setup where i have an allocation at $500 below the MSRP so as long as i can wait the 6-8 months patiently i am good to go. I have gone through the build and need to keep the cost below 90k and am down to a couple of option combos trying to work through -

Basics - Coupe,Riptide w/ brown interior, 2LT, Z51, Yellow calipers, transparent roof, CFmetallic mirrors, battery package, radiator grille screens,

Final choices - I can pick 2 of the 3 of these and still be under my cost goal...i am thinking to go with the MSRC and the lift, bypass the GT2 seats and just go with the GT1 seats...doesnt seem like they add anything except the look but thought i would ask the group. Sounds like the mag ride is a critical, the front lift is very desiarable and useful, and the seats are personal preference in looks ut comparable in comfort.
- MSRC
- Front Lift
-GT2 seats

Also - want to upgrade the exhaust but would like to not void the warranty as i do have concerns on the car (esp the trans)...so not adding in the black exhaust tips but curious on if the borla (from chevy) is any good if installed at the dealer?

Great to be on the path to get back to a vette guys!

Last edited by jipper; 07-24-2023 at 10:47 AM.

Popular Reply

07-24-2023, 11:16 AM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 899 Posts

MSRC is a must, ditch the lift and keep the GT2 seats. The Borla exhaust from Chevrolet is only 2 or 4 decibels louder and would be a waste of money. Go with the Borla S aftermarket for a good sound. The yellow calipers, mirrors aren't really necessary IMO and the grill guards are over rated as to their necessity. My car is 2 years old with 10K miles and they are just fine.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:26 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,435 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Nice build, but since you asked, then I’d say to go w/the MSRC
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteSparky (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 11:07 AM
jipper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sTz
Nice build, but since you asked, then I’d say to go w/the MSRC
Thanks - i can also add one of the other two - either GT2 seats or the front lift option...any thoughts on which of those two? Sounds like the lift is a very desirable feature
Old 07-24-2023, 11:16 AM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 899 Posts

MSRC is a must, ditch the lift and keep the GT2 seats. The Borla exhaust from Chevrolet is only 2 or 4 decibels louder and would be a waste of money. Go with the Borla S aftermarket for a good sound. The yellow calipers, mirrors aren't really necessary IMO and the grill guards are over rated as to their necessity. My car is 2 years old with 10K miles and they are just fine.
The following 6 users liked this post by proeagles:
Bozdx (07-24-2023), jipper (07-24-2023), Jridden (07-25-2023), MarkMeHopeful (07-25-2023), SpectreOne (07-24-2023), Vega$Vette (07-24-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-24-2023, 11:22 AM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 511 Likes on 261 Posts

The front lift is a Huge benefit as is the MSRC. The GT1 seat comfort is same as GT2. So your your initial thoughts were 100% correct.
jipper (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 11:34 AM
sanddigger
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 139 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would ditch the clear roof.................to hot
proeagles (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 11:39 AM
stvdman
Burning Brakes

Received 725 Likes on 364 Posts

Out of those three. MSRC KEEP!

That leaves LIFT and GT2 Seats. If you NEED FRONT LIFT get it! You already KNOW if you NEED it. If you dont NEED get, go for the GT2's.

I have MSRC, and GT2's and NO lift, 15,000 miles and 2 years ive never NEEDED the lift. Would I have used it? SURE! Who wouldnt!?!?! I just never NEEDED it.

Good Luck! (there is no "wrong" answer by the way)

The following 3 users liked this post by stvdman:
jipper (07-24-2023), jorgetav (07-24-2023), Jridden (07-25-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 11:41 AM
jipper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by proeagles
interesting on the grill guards - sounded like people were really worried about rocks damaging the radiator but maybe its overstated? I could ditch those and the transparent roof and get the GT2 seats plus MSRC plus lift....but i always wanted the transparent roof...
Old 07-24-2023, 11:46 AM
stvdman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jipper
interesting on the grill guards - sounded like people were really worried about rocks damaging the radiator but maybe its overstated? I could ditch those and the transparent roof and get the GT2 seats plus MSRC plus lift....but i always wanted the transparent roof...
Then get the transparent roof.

I had a "price ceiling" in mind when I built it out. Looking back, I should have just gotten what I wanted, which ironically, was the Transparent Roof that I left off.

I never considered the lift as the approach angle was reported as being better than the C7 and when I talked to C7 owners they were 50/50 on it at best. (wishing they had it available)

I too dont have rock guards, dont feel I need them either.
The following 3 users liked this post by stvdman:
Bozdx (07-24-2023), jipper (07-24-2023), proeagles (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 11:54 AM
jipper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stvdman
Then get the transparent roof.

I had a "price ceiling" in mind when I built it out. Looking back, I should have just gotten what I wanted, which ironically, was the Transparent Roof that I left off.

I never considered the lift as the approach angle was reported as being better than the C7 and when I talked to C7 owners they were 50/50 on it at best. (wishing they had it available)

I too dont have rock guards, dont feel I need them either.
thanks a lot, i really think the only thing i am not getting that i would want is the gt2 seats but i think if i removed the grill guards i could probably float in the gt2 seats and be right at the number...just thought they were a critical need...

Very much appreciate it, so cool to finally be on the path to a life long dream of a new corvette, built how i want...
Old 07-24-2023, 12:03 PM
stvdman
Burning Brakes

thanks a lot, i really think the only thing i am not getting that i would want is the gt2 seats but i think if i removed the grill guards i could probably float in the gt2 seats and be right at the number...just thought they were a critical need...

Very much appreciate it, so cool to finally be on the path to a life long dream of a new corvette, built how i want...
If you go GT2, consider "two-tone".

Last edited by stvdman; 07-24-2023 at 12:14 PM.
1 STING (07-25-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 12:03 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

You use the seat every time you’re in the car. Skip the lift.

I’m only a few days in to ownership and don’t have the lift. If there were a way to illustrate my driveway I would as it’s been my only lift concern and turns out to be a non-issue.
Old 07-24-2023, 12:05 PM
SpectreOne
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 101 Posts

MSRC is a must. No lift isn't unless you have a steep driveway. I don't have it and haven't had any issues with speed bumps or entry ways. GT2 Seats are great and highly recommended. I used to wish I had the transparent roof but now hearing how many feel like it gets too hot with it, I just remove my roof when I want that effect.

Over all great build!
proeagles (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 12:05 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 511 Likes on 261 Posts

Sounds like a good plan. I've never heard instances of radiator damage from not having grill guards -- it's really more of an appearance choice. Also agree that a clear roof would make the car like a greenhouse, although I would hope the AC could keep up - also think it looks better with solid roof color. As far as the GT2 seats that's really an appearance choice - no something I'd choose, but sounds like you're trying to max the $ at a certain point. If you can afford the Lift and Seats, then go for it - as long as you get the lift -- I have the lift and now find it extremely useful. It remembers up to 1000 locations - driveways, gas station entrances, etc at the push of a button.
if you wanted to go a little more minimal on the options you could also consider the HTC and stay within budget. Of course I think (for me) the 2LT would be the optimum trim level.
Old 07-24-2023, 12:27 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,810 Likes on 671 Posts

You could eliminate the dealer installed radiator guards and get some from several sources and install them yourself. It's not hard to do. IMO magride is a must have.
The following 2 users liked this post by astepup:
/Bear/ (07-24-2023), jipper (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 12:31 PM
jipper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hdrider1
Sounds like a good plan. I've never heard instances of radiator damage from not having grill guards -- it's really more of an appearance choice. Also agree that a clear roof would make the car like a greenhouse, although I would hope the AC could keep up - also think it looks better with solid roof color. As far as the GT2 seats that's really an appearance choice - no something I'd choose, but sounds like you're trying to max the $ at a certain point. If you can afford the Lift and Seats, then go for it - as long as you get the lift -- I have the lift and now find it extremely useful. It remembers up to 1000 locations - driveways, gas station entrances, etc at the push of a button.
if you wanted to go a little more minimal on the options you could also consider the HTC and stay within budget. Of course I think (for me) the 2LT would be the optimum trim level.
many thanks again - i really like the lift feature and i know that it will give me peace of mind...i guess on the transparent roof i could always buy one after the fact right but i couldnt add the lift element? If i dropped the roof and the grills, i could go for the gt2 seats and the two tone...decisions...guess i have to ask the wife which she likes better too
Old 07-24-2023, 12:51 PM
jipper
Burning Brakes

and now the wife is saying she doesn't like the riptide blue and wants either rapid blue (which looks to light to me) or hypersonic gray metallic....also she likes the gt2 seats but not the transparent roof..this is getting harder, ha

Get notified of new replies

To Build choices...back on the path to a vette

Old 07-24-2023, 01:01 PM
Carnut1
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 129 Posts

I have no doubt the mag ride is a nice feature, my car was bought used (2 LT coupe Z51, GT2, Front lift, engine appearance, Carbon Fiber top, upgraded wheels) and I see no use for either the top (I have a convertible and I never remove the top) or the appearance package. What rarely gets discussed on most forums is an owner's purpose for the car and what cars that person has owned before. I am used to sports cars not riding like GT cars, and I have had no issues with the way my car rides or handles (I am not what you would call a calm driver I push as far as possible) and while I probably would have ordered the mag ride if I had never driven a C8 without it (in my case I had never driven one until the one I bought in January of this year). Some on here have said their Z51's ride is harsh but even in track mode it rides better than my other 3 sports cars. I did install the grill guards, it was an easy and cheap way to protect (I have had radiators hit by rocks on other cars) from a more expensive repair, and while I don't find the performance exhausts sound to my liking from the inside of the car, I also don't like exhausts that make pops (I'm old) and sound like a garbage disposal with a spoon stuck in it. I have yet to hear an exhaust I like from inside the car that is not annoying outside of the car. The C8 is an amazing car OP, I hope you enjoy yours.
jipper (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 01:03 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,520 Likes on 788 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by hdrider1
The front lift is a Huge benefit as is the MSRC. The GT1 seat comfort is same as GT2. So your your initial thoughts were 100% correct.
Where I live I love front lift. Our curb design caused my C7 to always scuff unless I came up sideways. We have dry washes all over that scuffs. Now nothing and love you can GPS mark it. I think it depends on where you live. A must have in AZ.
c_r_h (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 01:16 PM
/Bear/
Drifting

Received 1,531 Likes on 758 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Originally Posted by astepup
You could eliminate the dealer installed radiator guards and get some from several sources and install them yourself. It's not hard to do. IMO magride is a must have.
I agree with this post, and it would save you a few hundred dollars. I installed radiator guards myself the day I took delivery of my C8 because of photos I saw online like this, but I admit I don't know anything about how or where this car was driven.

I would also recommend you get MSRC. It's great to be able to adjust the suspension with the turn of a ****! It also helps keep the car more firmly planted on the road.

Front Lift is very useful if you NEED it. I got it because I thought I needed it for my driveway. I don't, and I've barely used it anywhere else, so I'm not getting it on my next C8. I love my GT2 seats and just can't seem to warm up to the looks of GT1, so I'll get GT2 again.

Quick Reply: Build choices...back on the path to a vette