Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Corvette drivers don't know the wave

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 11:11 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Lots of new owners are first time "sports" car owners, as it is easy to figure when reading their posts. I cringe at some of the things I read...
The following users liked this post:
Vega$Vette (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 11:26 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,651 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by OldKarz
Lots of new owners are first time "sports" car owners, as it is easy to figure when reading their posts. I cringe at some of the things I read...
ooo the outrage that a non purist buys a car... shame... SHAME!
Old 06-22-2023, 12:03 PM
Mark Carlson
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 134 Posts

I have not noticed a lack of waves. However, this thread's complaint is as old as time -- the younger generation is bad, blah blah bah.
Old 06-22-2023, 12:11 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

More flashing headlights than waves these days which is still cool

anfabulous brotherhood for over the past 25 years I’ve been driving vetted as daily drivers.

once in a blue moon some of us are day dreamer of the other aspects of life but for the most part I catch a glimpse of any generation corvette and im
wqving or flashing the headlights.

loce all generations. A great American icon
astepup (07-05-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 12:33 PM
SpectreOne
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 101 Posts

I get waved at about 70% of the time here in San Diego. When someone doesn't, I figure they are either focused on something else, don't care, or don't know. I honestly had no clue about the Corvette wave until I joined this forum which I joined after I bought my C8. I've also been guilty of not waving because I didn't notice another Corvette until it was too late because some lady cut me off or a soccer mom slammed on her brakes after checking het TikTok.

With all the traffic and distractions drivers are consumed with, it not unlikely that others may not see you wave. I'll still wave until my arm falls off!
/Bear/ (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 05:18 PM
galaxy_jason
Racer

Received 355 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Ornery
I'm sorry but every C8 Corvette I've yet run into has a broken waive hand. !00% and I live in SoCal! I'm more and more convinced this is due to the much younger generation's lack of knowledge about the history and tradition of the Corvette Waive. Okay, okay I do see a lot of white hair too! But more and more I think they too are first Corvette drivers as well.
Just the opposite in Dallas/Plano. Other C8 owners usually wave, previous generations, not so much.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:24 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,028 Posts

In Southern NJ, the wave is still alive. I think Ciocca makes new owners sign an agreement to wave when in the finance office.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:33 PM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by OldKarz
Yep. Seems far more so with this gen.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:42 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,156 Likes on 6,206 Posts

From a C8 General thread back in February 2021 on this same topic:

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
To those that don't know the history of the Corvette Wave, From the August/September 1969 issue of Corvette News here it is:

Ever since Corvette No. 00001 first met Corvette No. 00002 on the road, their drivers saluted each other with waves. Today, unfortunately, this grand and glorious tradition is wavering. WAVE WHEN YOU PASS ANOTHER CORVETTE!

There's one item of standard equipment that comes as a pleasant surprise to every new Corvette owner. It's an instant wave of recognition he or she receives when he meets one of their ilks on the road. The first time it happens, they will be taken by surprise. He immediately thinks:

1. He has been mistaken for Sterling Moss.

2. His lights are on.

3. He has just been given the bird.

Soon, however, the new Vette owner anticipates, indeed even relishes, encountering other Vettes as he drives. During this period, he experiments with his waves, running the gamut from the gaping "yoo hoo" to the ultra cool "two finger flip." He perfects his timing, making sure he affects neither a too-early wave, nor the jaded "oh brother" too-late variety. Determined not to be one upped, he even develops a defense mechanism for non wavers, usually settling on the "Wave"? My hand was just on the way to scratch my head" approach. (This is especially useful when you're not driving your Vette, but you forget, and like a dummy, you wave anyway.)

Indeed, one of the most perplexing problems facing a would-be waver is what to do when driving next to a fellow Vette owner. Passing him going in opposite directions is one thing. Greetings are exchanged, and that's that. But what happens when you pull up next to a guy at a light, wave, nod, smile and then pull up to him at the next light, a block later? Wave again? Nod bashfully? Grin self-consciously? Ignore him? Or take the chicken's way out and turn down the next side street? If you're expecting an answer, you won't find it here. Sad to say, some questions don't have any. SAVE THE WAVE!

Girl-type Corvette drivers also have a unique problem: to wave or not to wave. This miss or misses who borrows her man's Corvette for the first time is immediately faced with this quandary. Should she wave first and look overly friendly, or ignore the wave and look like a snob? Most ladies who drive their own Vettes prefer to suffer the latter rather than take a chance of being misread. For this reason, all girls are excused for occasionally failing to return a well-meaning wave. So are new owners who are still learning the ropes.

There is no excuse, however, for a guy who refuses to return the wave, not out of ignorance, but of arrogance or apathy. While this type of behavior is the exception to the rule, it seems a few owners of newer models refuse to recognize anything older than theirs, while some others simply won't wave, period. Boo on them. These ding-a-lings don't seem to realize that they are helping to squash a tradition that had its beginnings back when most of us were still driving "tootsie toys".
BearZ06 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 06:00 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

Having not owned a Vette in years but with a down payment on a 2024 I wondered if the wave was still a thing. Guess I'll find out in my area...
Old 06-22-2023, 06:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 483 Likes on 255 Posts

How do you see waves or give waves with tinted windows?
Old 06-22-2023, 09:06 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,646 Likes on 4,326 Posts

This complaint has been made with every new generation. Check the C7 forum back in 2014 you'll see the same thing. I wave at other Corvettes, and I've had other C8 drivers wave at me. I'll waive the wave requirement when cars are going at high speed, though. By the time you see the other Corvette it's often too late. And when the windows are closed, it's almost impossible to see if the other person waived or not.

Save the wave: https://olddominioncorvetteclub.org/...dule_id=387286
SMOKN C8 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 12:15 AM
TriGuyPNW
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 120 Posts

This all reminds me of when I was driving my WRX... I basically waved to every Subaru - esp. any WRX. Nearly never got a wave back. Even back when I was still riding my GSXR... I waved to every biker, and very few would bother to wave back.

I've never owned a Corvette. My C8 will be the first. I will wave to every Corvette regardless. Their loss if they don't wave back.
Old 06-23-2023, 08:38 AM
jthornton
Burning Brakes

Received 944 Likes on 473 Posts

For me it's usually 2FF2R and no time to lower the window much less wave. I did meet a C5 once that had his window down and he waved and I waved back from inside my C5. During the last convoy the leader made a wrong turn into a Cosco parking lot and everyone waved at each other as we did a U turn to leave the lot.

JT
Old 06-23-2023, 08:53 AM
DHDCF
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 61 Posts

I just do what we did growing up in my hometown -- right index finger raise. In my mind I've now met the mandatory wave requirement but not at the cost of the pain caused by a full on wave ignore.
Old 06-23-2023, 08:55 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,900 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Maryland. We wave. And, if I am in one of my classic cars, I also get, and give the wave to other passing classic cars including Corvettes. I consider it as acknowledging a shared interest in automobiles. Heck, I get waves from folks in mini-vans which I assume is for the same reason - some degree of automotive enthusiasm.
Old 06-23-2023, 08:57 AM
2024VETT
Racer

Received 349 Likes on 156 Posts

I wave all the time😜😜

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Corvette drivers don't know the wave

Old 06-23-2023, 09:14 AM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

I'll wave but I don't see a lot of vettes so it no big deal. When I rode a Harley I would give "the wave". It became a real PITA. Stopped doing it altogether. I used to have an absolutely gorgeous neighbor. She would wave to me and that was special to this old and ugly guy.
DHDCF (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 09:23 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,369 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
This complaint has been made with every new generation. Check the C7 forum back in 2014 you'll see the same thing. I wave at other Corvettes, and I've had other C8 drivers wave at me. I'll waive the wave requirement when cars are going at high speed, though. By the time you see the other Corvette it's often too late. And when the windows are closed, it's almost impossible to see if the other person waived or not.

Save the wave: https://olddominioncorvetteclub.org/...dule_id=387286

I think this “new model Corvette owners don’t know how to wave” stuff started in 1984 with the C4. It’s a rite of passage.

That said, nobody waves any more. I was broken down in traffic in my ‘63 last month for about 45 minutes waiting for a rollback, and I didn’t even get a glance from multiple Corvettes driving by- newer and old cars.

Pretty sure the Corvette Brotherhood has gone the way of a lot of other older traditions these days.
Old 06-24-2023, 12:02 PM
TNBatmobile
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Flash and wave

I flash my lights first and then wave. The lights get their attention and I have better results.
Michael A (06-26-2023)

Quick Reply: C8 Corvette drivers don't know the wave