Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 - Wireless Charger not wide enough

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 01:25 PM
JTBogus
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland
Kinda agree with you on size though phones feel like they might be getting close to max size.

I really like that it is a nice secure place, it connects works for charging and connectivity. One of my favorite features. My only gripe is I often forget it in the car (yes, the car does tell me I left in there, I just don't see the warning).
I have a 2020 & it doesn't tell me that I left the phone in the car. Wish it would, I do it a lot!
Old 06-09-2023, 01:27 PM
JTBogus
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
Of folks who use so much battery power. Must have a lot of very important things to do! And in the car no less. We put our iPhone X Max in the battery slot day two. Big phone plenty of room. And that is the last time. When we leave home, the phone is 100%. In a pocket or purse never out of either. And we just are not power needy enough for that to not suffice.
Apple CarPlay is a pretty good drain on an iPhone that is not being charged.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:38 PM
Red rag
Drifting

Received 936 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by JTBogus
Apple CarPlay is a pretty good drain on an iPhone that is not being charged.
AND it gets noticeably warm when in my pocket using CarPlay.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:45 PM
16falcon
Drifting

Received 1,170 Likes on 625 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

I have a 2020 & it doesn't tell me that I left the phone in the car. Wish it would, I do it a lot!
That was an OTA update for my 2021. I can’t remember if it applied to Model Year 2020, it may not have. Do any MY 2020 owners have that feature? I get a DIC message that the phone is in the charger either when I shut off the car or when I open the door, I can’t remember which one. I miss the message sometimes but often times it helps.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:57 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,276 Likes on 3,444 Posts

Originally Posted by 16falcon
That was an OTA update for my 2021. I can’t remember if it applied to Model Year 2020, it may not have. Do any MY 2020 owners have that feature? I get a DIC message that the phone is in the charger either when I shut off the car or when I open the door, I can’t remember which one. I miss the message sometimes but often times it helps.
I eventually got that OTA update on my 2020. Some people with 2020s have reported that they never got that update.
Old 12-19-2023, 03:13 PM
B Irelan
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you still haven't got the update that turns on the notification, you can trigger that update yourself.
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/04...gh-ota-update/
Old 12-19-2023, 03:26 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,276 Likes on 3,444 Posts

Originally Posted by B Irelan
If you still haven't got the update that turns on the notification, you can trigger that update yourself.
That only works if you don't have download updates in background enabled (I believe enabled is the default). I have checked for updates many times and my car has never found one. My car eventually got the left phone in charger message on its own sweet time.
The following users liked this post:
B Irelan (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 07:56 PM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 453 Likes on 230 Posts

I like the wireless phone charger as it is. I put my phone in there, and it stays put without flopping around. I have no need to handle my phone while driving - I can place and receive calls and use navigation via the infotainment system, much of such functionality using voice commands. It works well. My understanding is that you can also send and receive texts that way, but I never bother with texting while driving.

In contrast, my wife's Mercedes SUV does not even have a wireless phone charger. She plugs her phone in via a USB cable, and puts in a cup holder. Not user friendly, especially when we are together in her SUV and pickup coffee to go, needing both cup holders.

Anyway, for those that insist on tapping on their phone's touchscreen while driving, there are aftermarket gadgets to hold the phone up front.
Old 12-20-2023, 09:43 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,559 Likes on 806 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by mefly2
My S21 fits snugly ... but fits.
my S21 also fits fine even with a case. As for convenience, I find it fine, but I put it in before I get in and I remove after I get out. I rarely have a need to look at my phone while driving, as none of us should! Its funny, not many years ago we had no phones to look at. I am not sure what is so important today that you have to check your phone while driving. There are as many distracted driver deaths in US today as drunk driver deaths.....go figure.
Old 12-20-2023, 05:32 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,656 Likes on 4,329 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyC6Go
This is more of a wish list item for future Corvettes. I wish they would find a better spot for the wireless charger, because where it is located now, is very awkward with regards to using it while it's charging. Though I do understand their rationale behind where they placed it for safety reasons and "keep your eyes on the road", but it's a real pain in the shoulder trying to get at it, with the angle at which it is placed.

Second, with the newer phones getting bigger and bigger, and the phone cases getting thicker, my new Galaxy S23 phone in it's case no longer fits in the wireless charger. One possible place for a flat wireless pad might be in the arm console as it's a nice flat area.

Just a thought...
There are plenty of cases for the S23 that will fit in the charging slot. Even the S23 Ultra will fit in a relatively small case.
Old 12-20-2023, 05:34 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Originally Posted by B Irelan
Checking for updates doesn't check OTA's. It only checks for updates to apps, like Pandora. I've even asked my dealer to apply the phone charging notification OTA, and they say they can't.

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
I eventually got that OTA update on my 2020. Some people with 2020s have reported that they never got that update.
​​​​​​​I have a 2021 and never got it. Even after asking my dealer to install it.
Old 12-20-2023, 05:37 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Originally Posted by CP
My wireless charging stops because it says the temperature is too high.
Turn on the AC. There's a pipe that routes cold air to the area behind the charger, but only if the AC is on.
Old 12-20-2023, 05:37 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,905 Likes on 2,311 Posts

I plug my iPhone12 into the port in the center console, and I also put the phone there, and my wallet (I do not like the wallet in my pocket while driving). It all fits.
Old 12-20-2023, 05:57 PM
Aurora Flyer
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My S23 Ultra with camera lens protectors,front glass appliqué and leather cover fits fine.

Quick Reply: C8 - Wireless Charger not wide enough