Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new C8 roof panel fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 07:30 AM
electricfish
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Dealer visit did not solve the roof panel problem. Tech argued that it is supposed to fit tight for a water proof seal. This is total BS. Anyway, I can get the panel on but it is difficult. I did lube the pins with silicone. When looking from the inside of the car with the panel partway on it is easy to see that the pins are not centered in the sockets. If anyone has access to a shop manual and could tell me if there are adjustments for the rear pins or the position of the sockets it would be appreciated. I would take the info to another dealer and get the adjustment done.
Thanks, Joe
Old 05-27-2023, 09:55 AM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,436 Likes on 799 Posts

Just a suggestion, take the car to a car show and park next to some other C8's.
Ask someone with a coupe if you can try their panel on top of your car!
That will at least tell you if the issue is with the panel, or the mounts on the vehicle side.
Old 05-27-2023, 04:02 PM
neogenesis
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 254 Posts

Ditto on the grommet. Same thing happened to me shortly after getting my C8. One of the grommets got folded over making it very difficult to fit roof easily. Took a few days to figure out why. Once I straightened out the grommet, been issue free since.

The following 2 users liked this post by neogenesis:
dohabandit (05-28-2023), Fishfryer527 (05-27-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 09:27 PM
Fishfryer527
Burning Brakes

Received 1,067 Likes on 489 Posts

Check the grommets where the rear pins go in. I noticed my top was REALLY annoying the last install.

mine was EXACTLY alike the top picture on the last post.

CHECK THE GROMMET.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:28 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 322 Posts

LOL to funny. I replied to this thread initially because my first experience sucked. Putting the top on and off shouldn't be that hard unless your lacking a few pushups lol. I am kidding. I am short try putting it in the trunk of a high wing car. Now I look like a monkey trying to f@ck a football. HAHAHAHA So over the weekend I received my new sunshade with a built in homelink, so I had to remove the top and some of the weatherstripping. As I took it off, it seemed normal. While I was working I walk past the driver door to grab a tool and I see a round grommet on the ground. Interesting where the hell did that come from??? I look at the halo on the driver side and guess what. The damn grommet popped out with my top. I put it back in and after everything was done I was dreading the top install and ironically it was perfect. I bet your issue is there to.
The following users liked this post:
Fishfryer527 (06-07-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 12:34 PM
gdb069
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by neogenesis
Ditto on the grommet. Same thing happened to me shortly after getting my C8. One of the grommets got folded over making it very difficult to fit roof easily. Took a few days to figure out why. Once I straightened out the grommet, been issue free since.
As mentioned in my previous post, after about 3-4 top removals, I found one of my grommets on the drivers seat and noticed my other grommet completely missing. Not too expensive but after installing the new one, and removing top twice, the replaced grommet was curled over. I am sure I will lose another one unless I check every time. I am thinking should these be held in with a non-permanent adhesive? Checking my my supplies almost all my glues are permanent (JB Weld) and I think there is a reason GM does not glue the grommets (I bet they wear out and/or tear). I do have plumbers putty and Elmer's purple school glue. Any suggestions?
Old 05-31-2023, 01:06 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,436 Likes on 799 Posts

Two thumbs down for plumbers putty. Petroleum based.

It could probably be just a little beefier grommet with more meat behind it to make it harder for it to pop out.
Put a little bit of lube on it too to keep it from binding / sticking to the pin and getting pulled out?
The following users liked this post:
gdb069 (06-01-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 02:50 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

LOL I second that. I do some dumb **** and I would never consider those options. Hell I would use grease before I did that and I still don't agree. It has to be a simple fix
Old 05-31-2023, 04:18 PM
electricfish
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by teddyca
LOL I second that. I do some dumb **** and I would never consider those options. Hell I would use grease before I did that and I still don't agree. It has to be a simple fix
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions, The grommets are in place and look fine. When I take it off next I will measure the distance between the pins and then between the centers of the holes. This will give me an idea of how far out of alignment things are. I can get the top back on, but, I know it isn't correct and that annoys me. If chevy won't fix it I WILL.--Efish
Old 05-31-2023, 04:32 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by electricfish
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions, The grommets are in place and look fine. When I take it off next I will measure the distance between the pins and then between the centers of the holes. This will give me an idea of how far out of alignment things are. I can get the top back on, but, I know it isn't correct and that annoys me. If chevy won't fix it I WILL.--Efish
You pull tape and I will measure my own for you.

Quick Reply: new C8 roof panel fit