Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3LT Dash Bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 01:12 PM
Ancient Mariner
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishfryer527
The real question is why even have a leather dash? Seems just about as dopey as gluing on carbon fiber for decoration throughout the cabin?

Leather has nice tactile feel, but who gets in a car and rubs their dashboard?
I haven't seen too many people who went 3LT and more leather who shared my reason......SMELL! My wife and I LOVE the smell of leather each time we get in. More leather would even be better LOL.

And no, we don't live a leather lifestyle
The following 4 users liked this post by Ancient Mariner:
Chemdawg99 (05-26-2023), Fishfryer527 (05-26-2023), Foosh (05-26-2023), WardNH (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 01:32 PM
1 STING
Drifting

Received 889 Likes on 500 Posts

Foosh, actually my first choice is Rapid Blue, 2LT, Performance Exhuast. Interior: Natural leather, Stealth interior, Liner package. Exterior: splash guards, radiator screens, low profile spoiler/splitter, body color accents, battery protection. Wheels are up in the air until the '24 order guide is released. I am hoping for 5-spokes type, similar to those of the E-Ray's, become available.

I reallly like the contrast between the partial tan interior and the blue. Kind of a suttle, non-aggressive, happy colors combo.

Last edited by 1 STING; 05-26-2023 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Typo
The following 2 users liked this post by 1 STING:
dohabandit (05-26-2023), Foosh (05-26-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 06:02 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 211 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 STING
Point well taken.

I am gathering information for when my turn to place the order comes about I can make the best decision with good judgement and the least amount of risks. Because of my age I feel this will be my one, only, and likely last shot at getting a Corvette therefore I have to be sure and rely on people who know more about the C8 than I do, and by reading many threads so far I noticed there are not only plenty of knowledgeable members willing to help but very straight forward as well. All I can do in return is express my gratitude and hopefully be able help others by contributing when possible.
Therein lies the rub. You may find the point is well taken, and perhaps the numbers are amplified, but perhaps they're not -- in short, you're not going to get good information, because the seller of a $78k to $100k+ car not only does not release it, but pretty much only acknowledges it when the failure occurs, and by way of warranty, even though this problem has recurred over several Corvette generations. So, what is known is that dash delamination has been happening well before the C8. Does it happen in other cars, yes. Does GM cover it outside of warranty or have they fixed the problem from occurring in the first place -- no. Is there a ton of speculation and bias in the information, due to the lack of real data -- you betcha. The Clint Eastwood meme is as close as you get to risk assessment.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:03 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 803 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by 1 STING
The two-tone seats are not offered with the GT1 seats, it has to be with GT2 seats.

In addition, if one orders the GT2 seats on a 2LT Trim the only color combination that is offered is the Sky Cool Gray/Black, total additional cost is about $2,290.
For the Natural/Black color combination it has to be the 3LT Trim, totat additional cost is about $5,250.
I think you are mistaken.
​​​​​​https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...-price/summary

Last edited by BearZ06; 05-27-2023 at 11:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mefly2 (06-05-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 11:14 PM
1 STING
Drifting

Originally Posted by BearZ06
I might be, perhaps I am missing something.

I have made several different builds with different options on that website, which I have visited for months. The bottom line is I have not been able to build GT1 Two-tone seats on a 2LT or the optional GT2 Two-tone seats with the Natural/Black colors on a 2LT, when I select the 'Natural' color (with all 3 different options of the Natural versions) it actually switches my choice to Sky Cool Gray/Black not only for the seats but for the door panels, dash, and console as well. There is no issue if I select a 3LT Trim.

I went to the website after I read your post several times but it seems the website is down. I'll keep trying, I'll post the results if it turns out you are correct, hopefully so. I will extremely happy if I am mistaken.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:03 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,967 Likes on 5,696 Posts

A couple of people reported a 1LT or 2LT getting loose but near the number of 3LT's, not even close. The mystery is why GM hasn't taken care of this, C6, C7 and now C8 generations have the problem.
Also it's been reported that other brands have same problem, fine. Why hasn't GM taken care of this? I have purposely not bought a 3LT on my last 2 Corvettes because of this issue, I had it on a C6. Some say no problem just have it replaced under warranty; what about when there is no warranty?
It's been reported on Corvettes still in the showroom, my new C6 was that way when I bought it (ZR1), so I don't believe the cause is related to anything the dealer or owner does or does not do.
Please share an example of the 1LT/2LT dash delamination on any generation Corvette. I've never seen such on this forum or anywhere else.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:08 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 803 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

It was in a fairly recent thread on this same subject here; maybe this one, I don't know. I'm not going to look for it but there was one or two guys that reported it, It was the first time I'd heard of it too. Well, I did look:

​​​​​​https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-issues-2.html

post #32 and #38

Last edited by BearZ06; 05-28-2023 at 12:31 AM.
Skid Row Joe (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 12:18 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,909 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Again, I agree the risk is there, but if you decide to purchase a C8, and the only color combo you are interested in is Arctic White with a Natural Dipped interior, you have to go with 3LT. The same is true of all "dipped" interior colors.

When my wife was researching what she wanted in a C8 HTC, it was that color combo or nothing. It is her car, she bought it, and it was that important to her. If it debonds, we'll get it fixed.

If you're fine with the traditional black dashboard or split colors, I agree there is no good reason to purchase the 3LT.
The Black dashboards of the non-3lts, with my fav interior color/s, would turn the key for opting in for the 3lt.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:40 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
I have a 3LT and over a year into ownership, have not had the problem. Temperature doesn’t cause leather dashboards to delaminate. I might add that this problem is not limited to Corvettes or GM vehicles. It’s not something that happens often enough to enough vehicles so equipped to warrant anything being done besides repairing it if it happens to an owner’s vehicle.

Leather dashboards delaminate due to the adhesive failing and if you Google the term you will find numerous other car marques with leather dashboards experiencing the same issue.

Leather dashboard delamination tends to happen very early on if it is going to happen at all. It sucks when it does because we spend a pretty penny for these cars and for this option. We often expect perfection from a mass produced vehicle and that is never realistic.
This was a common problem on Grand Cherokees with the full Nappa interior. Mine made it over 160k miles with no issues, my niece had hers peeling like an old blanket by 40k.

My 3LT dash had the bubbling in under 2k miles, replaced under warranty. That was 3k miles ago and so far so good. The first dash clearly looked like little adhesive was used.

I'd get another 3LT in a heartbeat. It's under warranty, cost me nothing to fix, and the risk is 0. If they used enough adhesive it will last the life of the car, if not, it will bubble immediately and be covered by warranty,
Chemdawg99 (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 05:27 PM
Mikeki7
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

My dash has fixed itself out in the sun, was going to use a needle with epoxy but the bubble is not visible at all.

bubble

no bubble
Old 06-03-2023, 05:33 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mikeki7
My dash has fixed itself out in the sun, was going to use a needle with epoxy but the bubble is not visible at all.

bubble

no bubble
mine started out that way depending on temperature, eventually it got worse. Just get it replaced before warranty is over and save the hassle.You saving GM money won't help the situation.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:17 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,002 Likes on 4,334 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Mikeki7

bubble

no bubble
it looks like this line is the issue. It's what mine looked like before it started coming up.

My C6 3LZ dash.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:21 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JABCAT
it looks like this line is the issue. It's what mine looked like before it started coming up.

My C6 3LZ dash.
that's where the dash slopes up which is where the leather pulls hardest from the surface,
JABCAT (06-03-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 02:50 PM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 231 Posts

I had the dash bubbling issue also, 3LT with black HXO interior, both on the dash panel above the instrument cluster and on the upper left side of the passenger dash panel. My dealer replaced both panels under warranty.

The passenger side air bag also was replaced - evidently the original airbag cannot be reused after the passenger side dash panel is pulled off.

Normally I park in the garage, but last year we had extensive home renovations and my garage was filled with construction equipment/supplies. So, I parked in the driveway all spring and summer in the Florida heat. The issue occurred around the end of summer.

I first contacted my dealer about the issue in September. The dealer's initial response was that they would need to inspect the dash to determine whether any chemicals had been applied to the leather and, if so, it would not be covered under warranty - evidently chemicals applied to the leather contribute to the issue. I had used leather cleaner/conditioner on it, so I thought I might be in for a battle. My manual says to clean the leather with soap and water, but does not specify what type of soap to use. My position is that most people cleaning leather in an expensive car are going to use a cleaning agent specifically formulated for leather, and thus my leather was cleaned in accordance with the manual.

The dealer where I bought my car is about an hour a way, and a dealer closer to me did not want to deal with the issue since I bought the car elsewhere. So, I ended up kicking the can down the road until it was time for my next free oil change where I bought the car. I scheduled an appointment for the oil change and for the dash to be inspected. With me I brought a printout of the pertinent pages of the manual and the leather cleaner/conditioner I had used, prepared for battle over the warranty issue. To my pleasant surprise, the service advisor took one look at the dash and said it was covered under warranty, with no further questions asked. Moreover, they had the dash panels for my interior in stock. I did end up having to wait a couple of days for them to get a new airbag, though.

Between the time I first contacted the dealer and the time I took my car in for service, the dealer's position on covering the dash under warranty seems to have softened. Perhaps it is a known issue, and perhaps GM issued a service bulletin. I don't know. Anyway, I am glad to have it fixed, and glad that it went smoothly without any hassle other than having to leave the car overnight.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:26 PM
AMXJim
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and it has the leather dash and everything else leather. No problems and my SRT travels between Florida and PA homes so all kinds of weather variables. I have had problems with the SRT carbon fiber interior pieces coming unglued- I just Re-glue with gorilla glue. I ordered my C8 as a 2LT after seeing all these problems with the 3LT.
Bozdx (06-04-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 07:19 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,002 Likes on 4,334 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by AMXJim
I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and it has the leather dash and everything else leather. No problems and my SRT travels between Florida and PA homes so all kinds of weather variables. I have had problems with the SRT carbon fiber interior pieces coming unglued- I just Re-glue with gorilla glue. I ordered my C8 as a 2LT after seeing all these problems with the 3LT.
My wife's last two Grand Cherokees with leather dash, that sit in the same 100*+ garage as my Z, and sit for hours in the hot sun every day had no problems with the dash coming unglued.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:27 PM
pmayo
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

Mine was garaged when not used. Started bubbling about 6 months from warranty expiration. It is NOT and early failure. 3 pieces ordered plus the airbag. Took a month to come in and 1 day install,

My C7 started bubbling right after the expiration. Took the case to the zone office and was eventually fixed under warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by pmayo:
JABCAT (06-04-2023), Skid Row Joe (06-07-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To 3LT Dash Bubbling

Old 06-05-2023, 05:26 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KentCNC
I have to think heat has something to do with the problem. I noticed the problem when the dash piece over the instrument cluster was quite hot. The bubble was very noticeable. Once cooled, it was barely noticeable.
That's just the material stretching it's no adhesive to hold it down. The right amount of adhesive will hold it down during the temperature swings
Old 06-05-2023, 05:30 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Foosh
I have a couple of questions for anyone who has had the 3LT dash leather debond (or anyone else who might have info):

1) Were you pleased with the repair and did it appear good as the OEM installation?
2) Are there any reports of it happening after the repair?
1) very pleased. Took less than a day. Looks great 6 months later so far.

2) Not that I've heard of. If so it will get expensive for GM as I have the extended warranty and first bubbling started after 6 months.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:14 PM
1 STING
Drifting

You are partially correct.

I was selecting the first of 3 'Natural' choices, by selecting the second of the 3 'Natural' choices the two-tone combination is available on the 2LT or 3LT with GT2 seats only.

But it seems the '1LT' only accepts GT1 seats in Jet Black, & Sky Cool Gray or Competition Sport seats in In Jet Black. Also the GT2 seats, Two-Tone seats, or the 'Natural' color are not offered as options for the 1LT.
BearZ06 (06-05-2023)

Quick Reply: 3LT Dash Bubbling