Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Transmission Replacement Extend Free Service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 10:23 AM
KentCNC
Racer

Received 296 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Does Transmission Replacement Extend Free Service?

My transmisson is getting replaced after 4,300 miles and 11 months after receiving the car. I won't have 7,500 miles on the new transmisison at the end of 2 years of ownership. For those that have had their tranmisisons replaced, did the 2 year timeframe for the free DCT filter service get extended?
Old 05-13-2023, 11:05 AM
lcbiiimd
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 69 Posts

I just found out mine has to be replaced at 19000 miles - I have a thread about it - transmission needs replacing.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take to get it done and what was the problem with yours?
Old 05-13-2023, 11:32 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,513 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Normally warranty replacements dosn't automatically mean the part gets a whole new full warranty extension. I had customers for years in the commercial electronics business try to insist every time they had a problem their warranty should extend. The normal warranty applies still, but they may give extra time on the particular part, normally 180 days or the like. In my last club we had a guy who dropped a valve on his Z06. First he thought he should get whole new engine. He didn't, next he needed replacement heads. Rebuilt heads were provided...he felt they should be new. Rebuilt, certified parts are allowed to be used for certain warranty replacements. Lastly he felt his whole car warranty should be fully extended...it wasn't. Remember warranties are not at owner discretion but the warranty provider. The warranty policy spells it out. Imagine if you provided a whole new warranty of the car with every issue, owners would be creating problems near warranty end, just to get free extensions. I would expect at least 180 days on a new trans at least. It will automatically be longer if the full warranty period hasn't been reached on car. You should always check parts against the emissions warranty as well...75k mi. That warranty covers many systems. My daughter had a brake light switch replaced, as the emissions warranty covered brake systems....always check!
Old 05-13-2023, 11:34 AM
KentCNC
Racer

Originally Posted by lcbiiimd
I just found out mine has to be replaced at 19000 miles - I have a thread about it - transmission needs replacing.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take to get it done and what was the problem with yours?
Mine was whining. Had 4,300 miles on it. 2023 MY. It is supposed to be out of the shop mid next week, so 2-1/2 weeks overall.
Old 05-13-2023, 11:36 AM
lcbiiimd
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by KentCNC
Mine was whining. Had 4,300 miles on it. 2023 MY. It is supposed to be out of the shop mid next week, so 2-1/2 weeks overall.
I'll be positively thrilled if my is fixed that fast!
Old 05-13-2023, 11:38 AM
KentCNC
Racer

Originally Posted by gliot1
Normally warranty replacements dosn't automatically mean the part gets a whole new full warranty extension. I had customers for years in the commercial electronics business try to insist every time they had a problem their warranty should extend. The normal warranty applies still, but they may give extra time on the particular part, normally 180 days or the like. In my last club we had a guy who dropped a valve on his Z06. First he thought he should get whole new engine. He didn't, next he needed replacement heads. Rebuilt heads were provided...he felt they should be new. Rebuilt, certified parts are allowed to be used for certain warranty replacements. Lastly he felt his whole car warranty should be fully extended...it wasn't. Remember warranties are not at owner discretion but the warranty provider. The warranty policy spells it out. Imagine if you provided a whole new warranty of the car with every issue, owners would be creating problems near warranty end, just to get free extensions. I would expect at least 180 days on a new trans at least. It will automatically be longer if the full warranty period hasn't been reached on car. You should always check parts against the emissions warranty as well...75k mi. That warranty covers many systems. My daughter had a brake light switch replaced, as the emissions warranty covered brake systems....always check!
I am not expecting to have the warranty extended. I am asking about extending the free service you get at 7,500 miles if done within 2 years. I never hit 7,500 miles and I won't get that many miles on the new transmission before I have had the car for 2 years since the transmission was replaced at 4,300 miles and one year.
Old 05-13-2023, 12:25 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,513 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I am not expecting to have the warranty extended. I am asking about extending the free service you get at 7,500 miles if done within 2 years. I never hit 7,500 miles and I won't get that many miles on the new transmission before I have had the car for 2 years since the transmission was replaced at 4,300 miles and one year.
Ahhhh.....sorry, my error.
Old 05-13-2023, 12:36 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,539 Likes on 4,274 Posts

I've seen at least a couple of posts from people who asked that question of the dealer or GM and were told no.
Old 05-13-2023, 12:41 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would imagine GM’s maintenance tracking isn’t sophisticated enough to factor this situation in. Go rack up some miles this year and enjoy the car, it’s not an untouchable investment.
Old 05-13-2023, 01:51 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,199 Likes on 3,401 Posts

It wouldn't be unreasonable to request GM to provide a DCT filter change for up to two years after the DCT has been replaced. It isn't the OP's fault that he won't make the original 2 year window. People have negotiated extended warranties and the like for their inconvenience, and the DCT will have to go through break-in again. And the lemon law may apply if you want to go through that depending on how long the car is out of service. Discuss the filter change with your dealer and Chevrolet Customer Assistance if the dealer doesn't help.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:33 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The dct filter change is under 250 dollars. I had the transmission changed 500 miles after the 7500 mile filter change and the new transmission does not get a free dct filter change.

I would imagine but don’t know if the transmission is replaced before the dct filter change at 7500 miles it might be free that I don’t know.

remember the three year fluid change restarts with the new dct transmission installation date as does the first dct filter change 7500 miles from the new installation mileage.

also and what I consider the most important thing to remember is to drive relatively conservatively for the first 1500 miles of a new transmission being installed so it can be broken in correctly.

many people know about the first 500 miles for the new engine breakin but I can’t tell you how many new corvette owners I speak with who don’t know when they pick up their new vettes it’s 1500 miles to properly break in the transmissions.

in my experience it was 3 days to get the transmission to the dealership and 10 days or two weeks of time in the shop.

now my cars as good as new.

I did purchase a GM extended GM warranty in the 30 th month of ownership at 23k miles for under 2 grand to warranty the vehicle until 2030 and 93k miles with a $250 deductible so when I sell my c8 the new owner can feel comfortable they will have many years of driving enjoyment.

I used my GM credit card and GM credit card bonus points to reimburse me for the GM extended warranty

it’s transferable to the new owner for $75 and it’s refunded in a prorated format if I decide to trade the vehicle in on say a z06 or a Eray if production ever catches up with demand and they become available.

I hope this helps and know the procedure for removing and installing a new transmission is step by step that the world class GM techs do flawlessly and now the vehicle runs great.

best of luck and ont worry, your corvettes will be as good as new.
Old 05-14-2023, 08:44 AM
Samuel Clemens
Burning Brakes

Received 735 Likes on 419 Posts

Is the 7500 mile a hard and fast requirement? We are going on a club trip that I believe will be around 1500 miles but that is just a guess. I currently have 5800 miles on the C8 at one year. Has anybody taken their car in for that service and had 7700 miles on it or so? I hate to get it done too soon but I don’t want to miss out on the free one time service. Thanks, Sam
Old 05-14-2023, 11:14 AM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Received 3,606 Likes on 1,498 Posts

You need to call GM customer service and request a free extended warranty on the whole car for your troubles. They will do it but only if you ask and bitch.
Old 05-14-2023, 01:11 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Samuel Clemens
Is the 7500 mile a hard and fast requirement? We are going on a club trip that I believe will be around 1500 miles but that is just a guess. I currently have 5800 miles on the C8 at one year. Has anybody taken their car in for that service and had 7700 miles on it or so? I hate to get it done too soon but I don’t want to miss out on the free one time service. Thanks, Sam
I believe (but don't know for sure) that the 7500 miles is just the maintenance requirement for the service. The requirement for the first service being free is just that it needs to be done within the first two years regardless of mileage.
Old 05-14-2023, 01:50 PM
KentCNC
Racer

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
I believe (but don't know for sure) that the 7500 miles is just the maintenance requirement for the service. The requirement for the first service being free is just that it needs to be done within the first two years regardless of mileage.
It has been stated numerous times by GM and is also in the manual that the DCT filter needs to be changed at 7,500 miles. GM has never defined how close to 7,500 miles.
Old 05-14-2023, 02:52 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

It has been stated numerous times by GM and is also in the manual that the DCT filter needs to be changed at 7,500 miles. GM has never defined how close to 7,500 miles.
I'm not saying that you don't need to change your DCT filter at 7500 miles (+/- some undefined tolerance), I'm just saying that I don't think they deny doing it for free if you want to do it early or do it later as long as it is within the first two years. Some people want to pay for their own filter changes sooner and save the free service.
Old 05-14-2023, 06:56 PM
KentCNC
Racer

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
I'm not saying that you don't need to change your DCT filter at 7500 miles (+/- some undefined tolerance), I'm just saying that I don't think they deny doing it for free if you want to do it early or do it later as long as it is within the first two years. Some people want to pay for their own filter changes sooner and save the free service.
I agree with that. I will porbably have around 4,000 miles on my replaced transmission at the end of 2 years of vehicle ownership. I will likely get the free DCT filter change at that time and then pay for it when close to 7,500 miles. I change the engine oil and filter myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Does Transmission Replacement Extend Free Service?

Quick Reply: Does Transmission Replacement Extend Free Service?