Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta love being rear ended while stopped at a light

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 12:39 PM
Netsinah
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry to hear you were rear-ended, especially when driving your C8. Not fun for anyone however at least you weren't hurt. I've had several close-calls with older drivers who shouldn't be on the road and she counts as one of them.

Having said that, my most bizarre "rear-ender" was when being pulled over for speeding by a "ghost-truck" (2019 Silverado), which parked about 3 feet behind me. When the cop returned with my documents and to hand me my ticket, I was unexpectedly rear-ended by his truck. It was winter so he kept it running and failed to properly put it into "park", perhaps due to all the police electronics close to the steering wheel. I spent several hours at the scene, during which 5 other police vehicles arrived, one of which was a collision investigator with a fancy camera who took dozens of photos from all angles. The "major collision investigator" in charge, when I suggested this was hardly a "major collision" and his time could no doubt be spent elsewhere, said it was SOP to do everything to document the scene, for any accidents involving police equipment. I still received the ticket (?!*%!) however just before the trial, it was withdrawn. They had to buy me a new bumper. Luckily, I was driving my "winter vehicle" and not my C8.

Now if I'm pulled over, I ask they turn off their vehicle parked behind me and explain why...
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (05-12-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 01:18 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,671 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
Well look at it this way...at least you know it was not some dumbass on their phone...
Actually, it could have been a 90-year old, who couldn't see over the steering wheel AND was on her phone.

My Mom is 95, and I gave her a "check-ride" a couple of months ago, and she is amazingly smooth behind the wheel. She's also a big fan of texting with family, but she does keep her cell in her purse, and won't even connect it to CarPlay. She has no tickets or accidents since she got her DL almost 80 years ago.

Sorry about your damage OP. Fingers crossed there's nothing structural, and that your trunk won't open because the panel damage jammed the latch. Hopefully, just panel replacement will get you back on the road quickly.
The following 4 users liked this post by Foosh:
4thC4at60 (05-12-2023), 98Gambler (05-11-2023), CorvetteBrent (05-12-2023), tadda (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 03:16 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,009 Likes on 471 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Foosh
Actually, it could have been a 90-year old, who couldn't see over the steering wheel AND was on her phone.

My Mom is 95, and I gave her a "check-ride" a couple of months ago, and she is amazingly smooth behind the wheel. She's also a big fan of texting with family, but she does keep her cell in her purse, and won't even connect it to CarPlay. She has no tickets or accidents since she got her DL almost 80 years ago.

Sorry about your damage OP. Fingers crossed there's nothing structural, and that your trunk won't open because the panel damage jammed the latch. Hopefully, just panel replacement will get you back on the road quickly.
It's possible, but I guess I have yet to see a person that old doing it, but I'm sure it does...
Old 05-11-2023, 04:18 PM
RobbC
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin B
It was a 90 yr old lady , she was about 5 feet tall , driving a 2005 Tahoe and couldnt even see over the steering wheel. She said she didn't even see me . She actually asked me would I mind if she left the scene so she could make it to the bank before they closed.
May have been color blind too - she couldn't see that color!! Sorry to hear about this though, Justin. May be a sign that you need a 2024 ............
Old 05-11-2023, 04:29 PM
BigF6B
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 402 Posts

Ive never had a collision before this one. We were all stopped at the red light and when the light turned green I began to creep up then she hit me. It was just unavoidable unfortunately
Maybe it's time for her to give up the keys!...90+ has to effect reation time,etc.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:35 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,895 Likes on 4,285 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Her insurance company is dragging their ***, I have an accident attorney right now and they recommend I go through my own insurance right now to take care of everything quickly.. then they'll get her insurance company to reimburse my insurance company. My insurance company has a repair shop lined up to see me Tuesday and a rental car booked
In TX, if you do this even though the other driver is at fault, your insurance company can (and most often will) increase your rates. Hopefully it's not the same in LA.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:39 PM
Stingray864
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 99 Posts

Maybe instead of the "High Wing" the C8 should come with that florescence orange high flag mounted on the rear (like the bicycles of the 70's era) so higher vehicles can see us... Shoot I'll even clothes pin a playing card in the wheel spokes for added sound to the exhaust note.....HAHAHAH
CorvetteBrent (05-12-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 04:41 PM
MURPHY55347
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 41 Posts

First thing to do when you are rear ended is to get out of the car and fall to the ground moaning in agony. Then see how fast their insurance settles.
The following 6 users liked this post by MURPHY55347:
astepup (05-12-2023), CorvetteBrent (05-12-2023), JerryU (05-11-2023), SMOKN C8 (05-11-2023), sonicss33 (05-12-2023), STINGmole (05-11-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-11-2023, 04:43 PM
Justin B
Drifting

Received 1,165 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
In TX, if you do this even though the other driver is at fault, your insurance company can (and most often will) increase your rates. Hopefully it's not the same in LA.
I'll definitely have to look into this , thank u
Old 05-11-2023, 04:47 PM
Justin B
Drifting

Originally Posted by Foosh

Praying it isn't structural as well !!! Tuesday can't come fast enough I was going to try to open the rear with the access point behind the license plate but ill let the body shop mess with that
Old 05-11-2023, 04:52 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Arggh! The same thing just happened to me, but your damage is way worse. Mine is just a lightly cracked rear bumper/diffuser. Old man in a Silverado <bumped> into me at a stoplight.

Be aware that the bumper/diffusers are on indefinite backorder from GM. I am having to do battle with the insurance company because they don't want to pay for a second source vendor that is more expensive.

Good luck!

-Don
Old 05-11-2023, 07:04 PM
Tonycan
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

I live in Palm Springs, so I understand the problem: between 7 and 9 a.m., drivers are always running late for work, zooming in and out of traffic, on the gas before the light turns green, running red lights, etc. Then between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m, the seniors are out running their chores, going to doctor appointments, etc. Very dangerous times, especially in parking lots. From around 4 pm. to 5 p.m., the seniors who stayed home are now on the road for the early bird specials. Then from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., all the workers are back on the road and in a hurry to get home (see cautions listed between 7 and 9 a.m). I know these things because I’m 80. My rule of thumb is always look ahead and in the rear view mirror. If you can’t see a driver, watch out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tonycan:
CorvetteBrent (05-12-2023), JerryU (05-11-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 01:27 AM
NA Screamer
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by sanman55
I nailed her..She was perfect, the rear end broke loose to the right....no fishtail...all systems did what they do correctly.
Glad it all worked out for both of you!
Old 05-12-2023, 04:21 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
90 and still driving?.....I have relatives younger than that and couldn't imagine them driving a car and navigating today's traffic. I know everyone is different and ages at different rates, but 90 is still 90.
My dad is 89 (would be 90 in August), and he still drives his 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer once or twice a week here in Southwest Florida, including north to Sarasota and south to Ft. Myers from Port Charlotte. He still has his 85 Corvette C4, but it's in storage currently. On the other hand, my mom is 84, has dementia, and, of course, no longer drives. So, yes, everybody ages differently.
JerryU (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 06:53 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,020 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Garret
Well look at it this way...at least you know it was not some dumbass on their phone...
I guess that is a positive
Old 05-12-2023, 08:25 AM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,030 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I live in TX and AFAIK they wont increase your rates if they recoup the cost from the other company. I dunno about other carriers for sure but with USAA I filed 2 claims against my uninsured/underinsured coverage. One was converted to comprehensive due to being an unwitnessed hit and run in a parking lot. The other, circa 2010, involved an under insured driver who was at fault. I paid my deductible. Six months later USAA sent my deductible back to me once they recouped their $$ from his insurance co. My rates never changed for either incident. They also authorized OEM parts and a specialty shop to do the repairs (rather than the **** work big outfit collision centers like Caliber collision do).

I could prob save a little $ on premiums with geico or NCM or something, but I stay with USAA bc theyve been awesome the few times I've had to use them over 23 years of patronage.
CorvetteBrent (06-08-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 06:29 PM
turbota
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

This is a big problem today with all the distracted driving. Happened once to me before in my daily driver and I am constantly on the look out when Im on the bike. Stay safe out there.

Get notified of new replies

To Gotta love being rear ended while stopped at a light

Old 05-12-2023, 10:16 PM
SMOKN C8
Drifting

Received 1,871 Likes on 829 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Make sure you file for a diminished value claim.

Most people don't even know about it but it can help absorb some of the loss if you ever try to trade/sell.
CorvetteBrent (06-08-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 10:26 PM
Justin B
Drifting

Originally Posted by SMOKN C8
Make sure you file for a diminished value claim.

Most people don't even know about it but it can help absorb some of the loss if you ever try to trade/sell.
My lawyer said he should be able to get me something for diminished value , thankfully
Old 05-12-2023, 11:01 PM
Anthony j
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

So sorry , glwr

Quick Reply: Gotta love being rear ended while stopped at a light