Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Creep

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 09:38 AM
cdurkin1259
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Idle Creep

Just posting this as an FYI. Had an “Idle Creep” alert at 38,000 miles on my 2021 C8. Took it in and they couldn’t find an issue and just flushed the trans fluid. At 45,000, got the idle creep again and they are replacing the valve body on the transmission. I got 15,000 miles left under warranty so suffice to say if it happens again and they don’t replace the transmission, I’ll trade it in for ?
Old 04-27-2023, 11:44 AM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 477 Likes on 286 Posts

Very disheartening that this is happening on higher mileage cars as it has been touted as a fail caused by early mileage break-in debris. Yours must be one of the highest mileage C8 vettes out there. The good thing is that you have the issue documented. Other brands (BMW) will do good will repairs past the factory warranty expiration if the problem was flagged and documented by the dealer before the expiry.
The following users liked this post:
cdurkin1259 (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 11:47 AM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,444 Likes on 804 Posts

A bike... At least bikes are easy to work on and relatively easy to fix.
Tim0shel (04-28-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 11:55 AM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by undecided1965
Very disheartening that this is happening on higher mileage cars as it has been touted as a fail caused by early mileage break-in debris. Yours must be one of the highest mileage C8 vettes out there. The good thing is that you have the issue documented. Other brands (BMW) will do good will repairs past the factory warranty expiration if the problem was flagged and documented by the dealer before the expiry.
If I had to hazard a guess, having a wet clutch running in the same oil bath as the dozens of solenoids and valves is a bad idea.

Might have been better to isolate the clutch fluid from the rest of the transmission. The one item that for SURE wears and releases particulate matter is the clutch, throughout the life of the car. No matter what you do, clutches gonna clutch...Treating the circulating oil like a slushbox maybe a bad idea?
I know some people say they "pampered" their cars during break-in and still had issues with solenoids too, but I would be willing to bet there might have been a few "white lies" there. It's a performance sports car. People didn't buy it to drive it like a granny.
Problem is this means you need another pump and coolant loop, unless you could use some sort of internal heat exchanger.

I haven't seen a single "technical document" that discuss what exact material is fouling these valve bodies. GM is keeping us in the dark.
Mark9 (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 12:36 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,203 Likes on 3,404 Posts

Originally Posted by dohabandit
If I had to hazard a guess, having a wet clutch running in the same oil bath as the dozens of solenoids and valves is a bad idea.

Might have been better to isolate the clutch fluid from the rest of the transmission. The one item that for SURE wears and releases particulate matter is the clutch, throughout the life of the car. No matter what you do, clutches gonna clutch...Treating the circulating oil like a slushbox maybe a bad idea?
I know some people say they "pampered" their cars during break-in and still had issues with solenoids too, but I would be willing to bet there might have been a few "white lies" there. It's a performance sports car. People didn't buy it to drive it like a granny.
Problem is this means you need another pump and coolant loop, unless you could use some sort of internal heat exchanger.

I haven't seen a single "technical document" that discuss what exact material is fouling these valve bodies. GM is keeping us in the dark.
But how does the clutch material get around the filters and to the valves? Is the filtration design inadequate and allowing unfiltered fluid to the valves? Filters bypassing prematurely? Filter media allowing too much contamination through? And keep in mind that slushboxes also have clutches.
Old 04-27-2023, 01:50 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
But how does the clutch material get around the filters and to the valves? Is the filtration design inadequate and allowing unfiltered fluid to the valves? Filters bypassing prematurely? Filter media allowing too much contamination through? And keep in mind that slushboxes also have clutches.
Ohh, I am aware! I hate to admit it, but I have a slush box "tranny ****" addiction problem.
Be careful, but if you watch the "Precision Transmission" channel on youtube, you might learn all the nuances of every auto transmission ever made.

Difference is in slush box you have a lot more surface area / clutch area, and the fluid flow may be different where 100% is filtered before returning to the valve body. Those internal clutch plates are also downstream of the torque converter.
I would be willing to bet the clutch pack in the DCT works harder and I am not sure about how the fluid flows. They do have TWO filters though. One in the pan and one external cannister filter.

Last edited by dohabandit; 04-27-2023 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2023, 03:50 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,240 Likes on 3,473 Posts

Hardly "high mileage" for a daily driver, even if it is a Vette. Sorry to hear about your issue, btw.
Old 04-27-2023, 05:22 PM
newcastlegreg
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

Porsche PDK has separate oil bath for the clutch….DCT has to much stuff in one oil case…
Old 04-27-2023, 06:27 PM
Mitchell_B
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by newcastlegreg
Porsche PDK has separate oil bath for the clutch….DCT has to much stuff in one oil case…
Is that a fact? Makes much more sense to isolate the clutch pack lubrication which will absorb shed clutch material for the life of the unit.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:05 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

https://go4trans.com/technical-trans...-transmission/
The "downsides" listed in the above article appear to sound familiar.

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/diy...l-mode.237865/
A view of the clutch cooler, and gear cooler on the PDK.

To be honest, I think combining the two into one oil bath was a bad idea. Maybe done due to cost?
Or was it done to avoid a patent infringement? Who knows...
Old 04-27-2023, 07:31 PM
Mitchell_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dohabandit
https://go4trans.com/technical-trans...-transmission/
The "downsides" listed in the above article appear to sound familiar.

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/diy...l-mode.237865/
A view of the clutch cooler, and gear cooler on the PDK.

To be honest, I think combining the two into one oil bath was a bad idea. Maybe done due to cost?
Or was it done to avoid a patent infringement? Who knows...
The fact that the Germans built their trans indicates different thinking from Tremec.
Old 04-27-2023, 08:42 PM
Innovated
Racer

Received 233 Likes on 144 Posts

So is it looking like an increased amount of fluid drain and fills, along with additional flushes and additional filter changes beyond GM's recommended service intervals is something that should be considered ?
dohabandit (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 08:51 PM
Mitchell_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Innovated
So is it looking like an increased amount of fluid drain and fills, along with additional flushes and additional filter changes beyond GM's recommended service intervals is something that should be considered ?
That’s how I look at it. It certainly seems reasonable to at least change the external filter every engine oil change. It’s simple enough, you won’t hurt anything and it could help avoid a large maintenance issue.
Innovated (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 08:52 PM
Innovated
Racer

Received 233 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchell_B
That’s how I look at it. It certainly seems reasonable to at least change the external filter every engine oil change. It’s simple enough, you won’t hurt anything and it could help avoid a large maintenance issue.
From the PDK link someone posted above :

"Keeping good oil in this system is critical. Poor oil will degrade valve body operation, wear the valve body bores and seals, and degrade clutch engagement. If the valve body isn’t operating correctly, everything downstream will deteriorate. Also the fluid is full of additives such as anti-shudder compounds that are essential to smooth operation."
dohabandit (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 08:58 PM
Mitchell_B
Burning Brakes

And I would change the fluids and filter/ external filter before the recommended 7500 miles. How much sooner depends on how your car is used.

I would rather spend a relatively small amount up front to decrease the odds of having a much more expensive issue later on.
Old 04-27-2023, 09:15 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,436 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sucks that you are having problems with the transmission - especially since you supposedly had the problem fixed 7K miles ago. Hopefully with this repair the problem will not happen again, but if it does, and you decide to go for a different car, perrhaps a Caddy Blackwing would be a good choice.
Old 04-27-2023, 09:28 PM
cdurkin1259
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thx but I actually work out of my house and that mileage is just taking a drive every day it’s sunny.
Old 04-27-2023, 11:17 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Innovated
I changed my DCT cannister filter at 1750 and 7500 miles. I will probably change it again at 14k miles. Now that I am tracking (not a lot yet, but planning a trip to Sebring), I am considering changing the internal filter when I drain and replace ALL the DCTF.
If tracking it is a requirement to replace all fluid after X track hours (24 right?). I think it might be warranted to replace the pan filter too. When I do that, I will likely replace the pan with a Dodson pan cover.

Innovated (04-27-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Idle Creep

Quick Reply: Idle Creep