Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soler Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 05:26 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,784 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
@Kracka Just remember, there's also a 'Lockout' setting that disables the accelerator pedal, so if nothing else you can use it for anti-theft.
True. I like the valet mode as well. Maybe I'll just reinstall it tomorrow morning for the stealth look and hide it under the carpet.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:39 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kracka
True. I like the valet mode as well. Maybe I'll just reinstall it tomorrow morning for the stealth look and hide it under the carpet.
It's no longer for sale

Old 09-04-2023, 01:32 PM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm another happy user of the Soler throttle controller. Well worth the $200. GM should include this functionality in the adjustable mode settings.

I used the LCD display to get the code to make the Bluetooth connection to my phone, then disconnected the display. I left it in the center console should I ever need it (e.g., if Bluetooth pairing to my pone is lost for some reason and I need to get the code again), but I am not inclined to use sticky tape or fasteners on my interior, which is suede where I otherwise would have placed the display.

Last edited by C8forT; 09-04-2023 at 01:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SMOKN C8 (09-04-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 05:40 AM
JoeCT
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by C8forT
I'm another happy user of the Soler throttle controller. Well worth the $200. GM should include this functionality in the adjustable mode settings.

I used the LCD display to get the code to make the Bluetooth connection to my phone, then disconnected the display. I left it in the center console should I ever need it (e.g., if Bluetooth pairing to my pone is lost for some reason and I need to get the code again), but I am not inclined to use sticky tape or fasteners on my interior, which is suede where I otherwise would have placed the display.
If you ever decide to reconnect the control pad, make sure the car is not running and is fully powered down per the installation instructions. Otherwise you may send it into limp mode and have a check engine light. Ask me how I know 😁

By the way, Soler was very responsive to me when this happened. Easy enough to remove and/or reinstall and the CEL goes away after a few start/stop cycles. Lesson learned.

The following 2 users liked this post by JoeCT:
C8forT (09-10-2023), JerriVette (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 12:37 AM
SMOKN C8
Drifting

Received 1,871 Likes on 829 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Had to take my C8 in for service and put it back to OEM.

Instantly missed my sport 6…
The following 2 users liked this post by SMOKN C8:
JerriVette (09-07-2023), Red Mist Rulz (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 01:50 AM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeCT
If you ever decide to reconnect the control pad, make sure the car is not running and is fully powered down per the installation instructions. Otherwise you may send it into limp mode and have a check engine light. Ask me how I know 😁

By the way, Soler was very responsive to me when this happened. Easy enough to remove and/or reinstall and the CEL goes away after a few start/stop cycles. Lesson learned.
Terrific warning.

When I did my install I just tucked the control pad behind the spare carpet behind the pedals. There’s plenty of room snd I knew I wouldn’t lose it. Your post is another reason I’m had I left it back there.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:04 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

For anyone else who cares, Mike did get back to me and said the USB-C cable can safely be clipped off the control box if you don't just want it hanging out underneath your carpeting. I may or may not go back in there to do that this weekend.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:23 AM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Received 679 Likes on 334 Posts

For anyone else who cares, Mike did get back to me and said the USB-C cable can safely be clipped off the control box if you don't just want it hanging out underneath your carpeting. I may or may not go back in there to do that this weekend.
Advise against.

1 - It's effort with no reward.

2 - What if they announce an amazing downloadable update and the first line of instruction is "Plug the USB C cable into a port on any laptop"?

3 - No one can see the cable, it's not hurting anything.

4 - The "clipped" conducters, uncapped, could brush against SOMETHING grounded and cause an issue. I know Mike designed it, I'm simply stating that other than A1, A12, B1, B6, B7 and B12, you do not want any of the other eighteen conductors touching ground.

5 - At resale, a buyer might want to use the display.

Just my $.02.
Old 09-08-2023, 12:53 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,568 Likes on 4,284 Posts

Can't see any real advantage to doing that, and if you run over your phone or something like that you might be very glad you have the control unit to plug back in.
Old 09-08-2023, 04:24 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
Can't see any real advantage to doing that, and if you run over your phone or something like that you might be very glad you have the control unit to plug back in.
I find it to be a flawed design, a waste, a cable that should not exist, and it annoys me. That's really the only reason. I'm fully aware it's not very rational

I have 2+ decades worth of history reworking, redesigning, and modifying aftermarket parts to make what, at least in my mind, is the best possible solution (as the aftermarket companies rarely ever get there completely on their own). Some do definitely get closer than others, and Mike's throttle bodies are basically it! I appreciate and respect his constant strive for progress towards perfection, which is exactly why I've run multiple versions of his evolving throttle bodies on my C7 & C8. If it wasn't his design, I never would have bought the throttle controller in the first place.

Last edited by Kracka; 09-08-2023 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2023, 04:31 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sshallen
Advise against.

1 - It's effort with no reward.

2 - What if they announce an amazing downloadable update and the first line of instruction is "Plug the USB C cable into a port on any laptop"?

3 - No one can see the cable, it's not hurting anything.

4 - The "clipped" conducters, uncapped, could brush against SOMETHING grounded and cause an issue. I know Mike designed it, I'm simply stating that other than A1, A12, B1, B6, B7 and B12, you do not want any of the other eighteen conductors touching ground.

5 - At resale, a buyer might want to use the display.

Just my $.02.
#2 is a very good point, I doubt it, but definitely possible.
#4 I actually had thought about that and planned to wrap in electrical tape. But then worried about whether or not the bare wires inside the tape could somehow short themselves out. I'll probably just not bother and waste time/effort on something else trivial instead.
Old 09-08-2023, 04:35 PM
Broken Halo
Melting Slicks

Received 1,737 Likes on 836 Posts

@Kracka If you do cut it off, make sure you disconnect it from the accelerator pedal first. Otherwise as you're cutting thru it the metal shears will conduct current and short all the wires to each other as it's cutting thru.
Kracka (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 09:46 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kracka
i find it to be a flawed design, a waste, a cable that should not exist, and it annoys me. That's really the only reason. I'm fully aware it's not very rational

I have 2+ decades worth of history reworking, redesigning, and modifying aftermarket parts to make what, at least in my mind, is the best possible solution (as the aftermarket companies rarely ever get there completely on their own). Some do definitely get closer than others, and mike's throttle bodies are basically it! I appreciate and respect his constant strive for progress towards perfection, which is exactly why i've run multiple versions of his evolving throttle bodies on my c7 & c8. If it wasn't his design, i never would have bought the throttle controller in the first place.
After two decades, don't get rational now. It could be quite the shock.

You can always replace it if it becomes an apparent mistake.
Kracka (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 10:16 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sshallen
After two decades, don't get rational now. It could be quite the shock.

You can always replace it if it becomes an apparent mistake.
HAHA yup, I just fear what else gets fried if it shorts out! I honestly don't know enough about how USB cables work.
Old 09-08-2023, 10:23 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Today I took the Vette into the dealer for an oil change.
I used the Solar controller to limit the throttle response.
I didn’t want to be posting another The dealer took my car on a 21 mile joy ride.
It was great to set the car on Weather level 0. Probably 5-10 miles per hour top speed. No way would one be going on a joy ride.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlaznZ06:
johnodrake (09-09-2023), Kracka (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 11:28 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

HAHA yup, I just fear what else gets fried if it shorts out! I honestly don't know enough about how USB cables work.
Six of the 24 live conductors will do no harm.

The rest are dice rolls.
Kracka (09-08-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 07:15 PM
Waterline
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 133 Posts

I installed mine yesterday, 9-9-23. It works great. I tried sport 5 and it was really touchy. Went to sport 4 but considering going down to sport 2. It seems like I want to race everybody at the sport 5 setting, just a bit too spirited and triggers a sudden down shift. Pretty easy to install. I won't use the control box and certianly won't cut the cable. Like others have said, what can it hurt hidden under the carpet?

I'm happy. Now I have to figure out why I have to unlock the door to get out... something changed and now I just can't open the door without pressing the manual door unlock button. Too many gadgets on these cars, some helpful, some a nuisance.

Get notified of new replies

To Soler Control

Old 09-10-2023, 07:58 PM
Ghost 23
Pro

Received 291 Likes on 119 Posts

You just added a gadget!

Try (P)ark or Start/Stop to get out.
Old 09-10-2023, 08:21 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,948 Likes on 2,674 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Waterline
I installed mine yesterday, 9-9-23. It works great. I tried sport 5 and it was really touchy. Went to sport 4 but considering going down to sport 2. It seems like I want to race everybody at the sport 5 setting, just a bit too spirited and triggers a sudden down shift. Pretty easy to install. I won't use the control box and certianly won't cut the cable. Like others have said, what can it hurt hidden under the carpet?

I'm happy. Now I have to figure out why I have to unlock the door to get out... something changed and now I just can't open the door without pressing the manual door unlock button. Too many gadgets on these cars, some helpful, some a nuisance.
Did you make sure you were fully powered down during the install? If not, you may need to do a reset by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery....

Important: The throttle actuator control (TAC) system remains energized for a few minutes after ignition is off. It will also get energized for a few minutes upon opening doors or trunk, also if using your key fob. If the pedal connector is disconnected while the TAC system is energized your ECM might register a diagnostic trouble code (DTC)
Ignition off. Open driver’s door, and any other door if needed, including trunk. Place and keep key fob outside the car until step 6. Adjust driver seat all the way back and steering wheel all the way up. Wait 10 minutes for the TAC system to de-energize (timeout) before proceeding.
Note: In some cases, it is possible that a CEL will illuminate on first power on cycle, if so, please disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to reset the TAC system. Take advantage of this moment to make sure all connectors clicked when pushed in and that they were properly locked by its corresponding tabs. After reconnecting battery, redo step 6.

Last edited by tadda; 09-10-2023 at 08:30 PM.
C8forT (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 08:58 PM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeCT

Thank you for the heads up!!!

Quick Reply: Soler Control