Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Externally locking door without using key-fob

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 08:09 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Originally Posted by camera
I generally do and have done the same with parking lots, but here in S Florida someone invariably goes out of their way to park their jalopy so close to your car that it is impossible to get in or out. A spiteful lot they are. And there is no way I can get my 6'1" frame in or out of the C8 without fully opening the driver's side door.
Yep understand!

SIDEBAR
My experience a few years ago driving in Miami has made me now take ONLY cabs when there!!
The Tech Society I volunteer for (was the 2007 President and for 6 years Chaired the Education Foundation- still go there for meetings) was located in Miami now a large building the Society owns in Doral. For an Exec Meeting decided to drive to Miami after visiting a friend in Jacksonville. Wife had a Porsche Cayenne at the time. Got to Miami early and she wanted to go to a Mall. Was on an 8 lane elevated highway under construction (as are many!) Was in the lane one in from the right and she said it's this exit. Turned on my directional signal and was moving over when Jeep in the right lane with several passengers speed up and tried to cut me off. The Porsche saw 7500 rpm as I drove in front and made my exit.

That night we had dinner with the Executive Director and his staff and the ~10 volunteer members. I mentioned the incident to the Exec Director and friend. He laughed and said down here (he's from OH) you never put on your directional signals it's just an inviration for folks to cut you off!

I watched a 911 go from the right lane over 6 others at a toll booth area to the far left. Nope having never had an accident in 63 years, driving in Miami not worth the risk! I have driven in Italy, Germany and France, including Paris and nothing that bad.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:47 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by steve8
Bigger question would be where are you parking that this is such concern??
Originally Posted by Ih2lose
There is not one place that you should not lock your car.

I meant the minor delay in the lock when using the lock button on the car, not leaving the car unlocked.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:30 AM
camera
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
...it's a terrible thing to walk through life in fear that something might happen.... your car may end up owning you, rather than the other way around.... at the end of the day: they're all just cars.

The key is awareness of one's surroundings, and I guess that it could be interpreted as a "fear that something might happen." But we no longer live in 1950's, the world has changed, this country has changed, and danger can lurk around just about any corner. Being aware of that possibility goes a long way to preventing unwanted altercations. As for locking one's car, I even do that in my own garage, it's just another layer of safety.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:49 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,937 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by camera
The key is awareness of one's surroundings, and I guess that it could be interpreted as a "fear that something might happen." But we no longer live in 1950's, the world has changed, this country has changed, and danger can lurk around just about any corner. Being aware of that possibility goes a long way to preventing unwanted altercations. As for locking one's car, I even do that in my own garage, it's just another layer of safety.
I've been parking Corvettes at hotels, restaurants, Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, etc., for more than 30 years, a Ferrari for the last 10.... and never a problem. I am fully _aware_ of "situational awareness."

As soon as I get back from Italy (May 3-10) I'll be leaving on a 6,000+ mile road trip and treating my C8 as I have my C4s, C6, C7s, the Ferrari, and other cars: as I said in my previous post: "at the end of the day they're all just cars."

"Hello, police... My car's been stolen."
Hello, USAA... My car's been stolen."
"Yes, I'll need a rental..."

The following users liked this post:
Cumbers (04-04-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 12:27 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

The default auto lock is five seconds (read post #4 above)

Mine is locked all the time, even in the garage.
The following users liked this post:
4thC4at60 (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 09:39 AM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,539 Likes on 4,274 Posts

Originally Posted by Andybump
As you are getting out, just hit the lock button on the inside door panel. When you close the door, it will be locked. So will the passenger side. And that is the way I do it. I don't like the auto lock when I walk away, and I don't like messing with the FOB.
This. Right after I push the door open button and the door is unlatched, I hit the lock button. I do it every time I get out of the car, so it's habit now.
Originally Posted by Ih2lose
There is not one place that you should not lock your car.
Except maybe in your own garage.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:55 AM
jerhofer
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I never lock any of my cars in the garages. If there is an emergency, I want someone, preferably me, to be able to get in the car quickly and drive the cars to a safe place.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:14 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,197 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by jerhofer
I never lock any of my cars in the garages. If there is an emergency, I want someone, preferably me, to be able to get in the car quickly and drive the cars to a safe place.
If you have your fob with you it automatically unlocks when you push the door button. You won't be able to quickly drive your car to a safe place without the fob.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
4thC4at60 (04-03-2023), JerryU (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 11:20 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Originally Posted by jerhofer
Have mine set for Autolock wherever.

Would do no good to get into the C8 as could not move it without the key!

Street Rod is worse. Costs more than the Vette AND only way to enter is with the remote. Ignition key on the remote chain! Unlike the C8 could break a window and push out! No door handles ONLY electric solenoids operate the latches.

In case of fire, insurance will deal with 3 cars!
Old 04-03-2023, 12:05 PM
jerhofer
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
If you have your fob with you it automatically unlocks when you push the door button. You won't be able to quickly drive your car to a safe place without the fob.
I leave the fobs in the cars at all times.

Quick Reply: Externally locking door without using key-fob