Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM going to generate revenue from subscriptions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 11:30 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,152 Likes on 1,717 Posts
Default GM going to generate revenue from subscriptions

As other threads have mentioned/ discussed, OTA updates (and whatever) may become or require a monthly/yearly subscription. This link discusses how it's being implemented in GM'S overall strategy and specifically in the link with GM'S electric vehicles current and future. Just like requiring fees for baggage on airline travel, extra for home deliveries with UPS, it is required for the companies to do their job, but they charge their loyal customer base anyway for items they have no business charging for. GM is just looking at another revenue stream - even if it has nothing to do directly with their products. New forms of greed are ever increasing. How long before it hits the C8. It along with others are going to be partially or fully electric.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/01/busin...evs/index.html
Old 04-01-2023, 11:38 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Mixed emotions for me. I don't use Car Play on the C8 and it isn't on my AMG. Wife will likely be pissed though; she uses it all the time on her Benz. At my age, the likelihood of me buying a new car in 2035 is almost nil.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnodrake:
Bigredwing (04-01-2023), Spitfire Mk1 (04-03-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 11:43 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,393 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would agree - just another revenue stream for the car manufacturers.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:45 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,199 Likes on 3,401 Posts

I see a market for tablet mounts in cars for people that want to run apps that the system doesn't allow or don't want to pay for the subscription. (I'm assuming this isn't an April 1st joke)
The following users liked this post:
PhoenixM3 (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 11:57 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
I see a market for tablet mounts in cars for people that want to run apps that the system doesn't allow or don't want to pay for the subscription. (I'm assuming this isn't an April 1st joke)
No it's not April fools joke.
I do use my cell phone as a mobile hot spot (for secure wifi) and connect my laptop to it when traveling in my RV, but unfortunately the C8 doesn't have enough room to do so. The last part is an April fools joke, but not the not enough room.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:08 PM
tsigwing
Burning Brakes

Received 976 Likes on 420 Posts

GM going to TRY to generate revenue from subscriptions.

They certainly won't get any of my money, or business if this becomes mandatory in the future.
The following 3 users liked this post by tsigwing:
hcvone (04-02-2023), Landru (04-03-2023), op z (04-03-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 01:12 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,199 Likes on 3,401 Posts

I had read somewhere (don't remember where but it was on the internet so take it with grain of salt) that GM's long term model is to have people have a lease subscription to vehicle fleets. You don't own the vehicle, you call up when you need a ride and a driverless vehicle shows up at your door.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:14 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Default Show Me The Money Honey

According to GM CEO Mary Barra, the automaker hopes to generate $20 billion to $25 billion in annual revenue from subscriptions by the 2030 calendar year.

Sign of the times.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:41 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by papillion
According to GM CEO Mary Barra, the automaker hopes to generate $20 billion to $25 billion in annual revenue from subscriptions by the 2030 calendar year.

Sign of the times.
@Bold and underlined...

Hope is not a strategy. I very highly doubt this plan will work out as people are not going to pay for updates to a product they already own in order for the product to remain functional or maintain the functions already purchased. The market will decide if such a thing will generate profit.
The following 3 users liked this post by Chemdawg99:
grboggs (04-01-2023), johnodrake (04-01-2023), Landru (04-03-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 01:43 PM
aaronj_76
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 44 Posts

It's already taking place for some OEMs, and the latest super cruise, which I like, is subscription based after a certain time period, similar to On Star. The way that Netflix and all of these other subscription based services make money, why not try. We really can't be mad at GM or any other company for trying to add value for themselves or their shareholder. What we can do is either participate or don't. Consumers have a major voice, we just don't always use it. I'm an engineer in automotive, so I may be biased, but software updates and attempts at revenue from subscription based services is where the market is headed. We'll see how it goes.

But I'm in Michigan, please don't charge me for heated seats or steering wheels! . In all seriousness, safety items will NOT be subscription based...mainly comfort items that are optional today.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:52 PM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
@Bold and underlined...

Hope is not a strategy. I very highly doubt this plan will work out as people are not going to pay for updates to a product they already own in order for the product to remain functional or maintain the functions already purchased. The market will decide if such a thing will generate profit.

I may agree with you re Cars, but not the people statement. people are already purchasing and using software on their computer that is renewable yearly, .. vs owning it outright. MS Office, Antivirus, ....
Old 04-01-2023, 01:55 PM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,029 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by C8J
As other threads have mentioned/ discussed, OTA updates (and whatever) may become or require a monthly/yearly subscription. This link discusses how it's being implemented in GM'S overall strategy and specifically in the link with GM'S electric vehicles current and future. Just like requiring fees for baggage on airline travel, extra for home deliveries with UPS, it is required for the companies to do their job, but they charge their loyal customer base anyway for items they have no business charging for. GM is just looking at another revenue stream - even if it has nothing to do directly with their products. New forms of greed are ever increasing. How long before it hits the C8. It along with others are going to be partially or fully electric.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/01/busin...evs/index.html
Eh, I turned down OTA updates and have no intention of ever doing one, or even letting dealer install any updates. Dont use onstar, android auto, or apple carplay.

Its a scummy potential practice, but it wont affect me.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:26 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,540 Likes on 4,275 Posts

So is every other car company. Some are already doing it.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:23 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 332 Posts

I hate this.

Here's what CarPlay means to me.

Sixty seconds after I start the vehicle, my Lexus, Mercedes, Corvette, other vehicles all present the same infotainment/navigation look and feel.

Now it will be back to learning how each manufacturer chooses to implement all these controls. Back to madness.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:13 PM
Deus_Meridius
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sshallen
I hate this.

Here's what CarPlay means to me.

Sixty seconds after I start the vehicle, my Lexus, Mercedes, Corvette, other vehicles all present the same infotainment/navigation look and feel.

Now it will be back to learning how each manufacturer chooses to implement all these controls. Back to madness.
This. I'm an Apple user and perfectly happy with Carplay. Now GM and Google will build some unusable, frustrating POS. I won't be paying for it.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:29 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by C8J
I may agree with you re Cars, but not the people statement. people are already purchasing and using software on their computer that is renewable yearly, .. vs owning it outright. MS Office, Antivirus, ....
My comment about people not paying for updates to things in order to maintain their functionality is only really relevant to cars. Computers are not driven on public roads and are considerably more expensive than a computer, though you make a good point.

I will worry about such things when happen and cross that bridge when I come to it.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:16 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,238 Likes on 3,471 Posts

Just like Musk's notorious "blue check marks"
Old 04-03-2023, 12:35 AM
Spitfire Mk1
Formula 1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Deus_Meridius
This. I'm an Apple user and perfectly happy with Carplay. Now GM and Google will build some unusable, frustrating POS. I won't be paying for it.
And they will be tracking every movement with the car to create more individualize advertising. i also see links to insurance companies to monitor usage and driving habits. All will be up in the cloud.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:29 AM
jerhofer
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
@Bold and underlined...

Every Tesla owner pays a fee to access factory updates, updated map info, etc. As mentioned above, many of us are paying fees to services like Microsoft Office.

What upset me the most is the discontinuance of Apple Car Play. I absolutely love it. So much so, that I changed out the radios in my motorhome and my 2017 Jeep Cherokee (which we pull behind the motorhome) so I could have Car Play. I too like having the same interface in multiple cars and I really like using Apple Maps for navigation. One thing they do that I haven't found in any other navigation app is to show every stop sign and stop light on the screen when a destination is selected. It makes it so much easier to navigate in new locations. The visual and audio prompts make it much easier to turn at the correct intersection. The Audio prompt will commonly say, "Drive through this stoplight and turn at the next stoplight." This is invaluable information when driving the motorhome, as making a wrong turn in it can be difficult to correct.

The navigation maps in my Tesla Model 3 are excellent but do not have this function. Waze is the best app for choosing alternate directions when there is a traffic situation ahead, but I don't like their graphics. So, when we are traveling in the motorhome, I run Car Play on my dash radio while my wife runs Waze on her phone.
The following users liked this post:
Spitfire Mk1 (04-03-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To GM going to generate revenue from subscriptions

Quick Reply: GM going to generate revenue from subscriptions