Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY!! My HTC the way I always wanted it.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 08:09 AM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

Since I drive with top down 90% of the time it would be a waste but it looks amazing
The following 2 users liked this post by ontcanuck:
Red rag (04-05-2023), WardNH (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 12:32 PM
billiam01
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Question would be better answered by Tadge rather than Mary?
Old 04-04-2023, 01:07 PM
Akdave8
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks great! would be interested in getting it done as well!
Old 04-04-2023, 02:36 PM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

Sunuvabitch!!! - This makes the HTC more appealing than the Coupe IMO
Old 04-04-2023, 03:34 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

I join the others that think this looks great. That said, why, if an OEM option, would it be so expensive?
Old 04-04-2023, 03:40 PM
Mr DJ
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Houston Z33
Sunuvabitch!!! - This makes the HTC more appealing than the Coupe IMO
💯 it does...

I have a C7 GS Coupe and I've ONLY taken it off like 3 times and it was and is a pain; screw that. Just flip a switch and viola, it's down or up... HTC to "me" is the ONLY way to go...
Old 04-05-2023, 04:59 PM
Red rag
Burning Brakes

Received 924 Likes on 455 Posts

Great job OP! It would be sorta cool when it’s parked and locked, but I always wonder about idiots with belt buckles and rivets on shorts or jeans leaning over to see better and scratching the paint. Not for me but looks good enough where it could be a GM option for sure.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:21 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Looks awesome !, great job !
Old 04-05-2023, 05:50 PM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I would buy a spare decklid part for modification, or your new decklid for my Z06 when I get it. Consider me sold on the part.

Looks incredible.
Old 04-06-2023, 09:48 AM
kdlp
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Hmmmm... No response from Falcon on the $$$ or source questions.... It looks factory in every aspect, which is to say it's drool-worthy. Which also make me wonder if he hasn't awakened yet after getting the bill. Doesn't matter though, 'cause he's still got a piece of art to drive.
Old 04-06-2023, 01:55 PM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 634 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveL2
I join the others that think this looks great. That said, why, if an OEM option, would it be so expensive?
My guess is it wouldn't be that expensive for GM to make but what they'd charge for it as an option would be expensive. I'd say they would probably charge between $3500-$5000 extra if they did made it an option for the HTC. You'd get a colored engine cover (black or edge red) that would look like what's on the coupe as well as a transparent cover that would sit above that engine cover so you could see it. And finally the clear opening/cover for the tonneau area. So three additional pieces in total.

The advantage of this system is that you could actually see the engine cover through the clear tonneau opening if the HTC top was up. And you could see the engine through the transparent cover if the tonneau cover was raised in the service mode. However, you wouldn't be able to see the engine if the HTC top was down because the roof top would be covering the engine. So what you see through the clear tonneau opening would be the top of the HTC's roof. Hope that makes sense.

I think what Jeff has created is something that HTC owners have really wanted GM to offer. He's done an amazing job in engineering something that is thoroughly tested and looks very elegant in its design. I'm sure he's trying to figure out what a reasonable price would be for it as well as how to go to market with it so it could be installed by qualified shops across the country. It definitely fills a void that HTC owners have been looking for.
The following 2 users liked this post by dreamr616:
Mr DJ (04-06-2023), RKCRLR (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,543 Likes on 4,277 Posts

I think it would cost GM a LOT more to manufacture. Instead of a one piece sheet of molded plastic, you've got the tonneau itself, the frame for all the clear pieces, and then multiple clear pieces of plastic which all have to be assembled, which equals labor. Which is expensive.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:04 PM
Mr DJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by dreamr616
The advantage of this system is that you could actually see the engine cover through the clear tonneau opening if the HTC top was up. And you could see the engine through the transparent cover if the tonneau cover was raised in the service mode. However, you wouldn't be able to see the engine if the HTC top was down because the roof top would be covering the engine. So what you see through the clear tonneau opening would be the top of the HTC's roof. Hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense...
Old 04-06-2023, 02:21 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,821 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamr616
My guess is it wouldn't be that expensive for GM to make but what they'd charge for it as an option would be expensive. I'd say they would probably charge between $3500-$5000 extra if they did made it an option for the HTC. You'd get a colored engine cover (black or edge red) that would look like what's on the coupe as well as a transparent cover that would sit above that engine cover so you could see it. And finally the clear opening/cover for the tonneau area. So three additional pieces in total.

I think what Jeff has created is something that HTC owners have really wanted GM to offer. He's done an amazing job in engineering something that is thoroughly tested and looks very elegant in its design. I'm sure he's trying to figure out what a reasonable price would be for it as well as how to go to market with it so it could be installed by qualified shops across the country. It definitely fills a void that HTC owners have been looking for.
Unless he has changed the design, FalconF7's version of the clear engine cover is complex and would add to the cost. He posted it in other threads - it was a dual-pane arrangement with cooling between the panes. He had some comparative temperature measurements between his version of a clear cover and the single clear cover that currently offered on the market.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:39 PM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 634 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Andybump
Unless he has changed the design, FalconF7's version of the clear engine cover is complex and would add to the cost. He posted it in other threads - it was a dual-pane arrangement with cooling between the panes. He had some comparative temperature measurements between his version of a clear cover and the single clear cover that currently offered on the market.
I'd agree that his design is more complex then others offered on the market. That's because he's actually looked into the engineering aspects of it (i.e. heat dissipation and transfer, aesthetics, materials utilized, etc.). The testing he's done has been impressive. He wasn't after just a clear cover to show off the engine but rather a more thoroughly researched design that looked at what really needs to be done to make it work and look right. My first thought was the cost of this, if offered by GM, would be in the $3500-$5000 range just because I think GM would NOT want to price it at the same cost to go from coupe to HTC (i.e. about $7500). The only really issue for GM would be having to have two distinct tonneau covers ... one with the opening and one without. All the other parts would be easy to assemble on the C8. The real issue would be how watertight and weatherproof do you want to make the tonneau opening. Would it be like the coupe or more watertight then that. Will be interesting to see where this all leads and how successful Jeff's design will be. I personally think it has a lot going for it compared to the aftermarket products I've seen.
The following users liked this post:
Mr DJ (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 07:04 PM
FalconF7
Instructor

Received 364 Likes on 90 Posts

I can't link the website here, but anyone who wants to do a little digging can get many of these questions answered from the website. In the meantime, here are a few more pics. I'd like to get better ones soon. I really dig having this on the car.

I've decided to not go with the dual pane glass on the lower panel. The system I had going did run cooler, but not enough to justify the complexity and cost of what it took to do so. I do prefer the heat shielded composite frame around the replaceable Lexan, so I'm sticking with that design. Also, the 3M "snap lok" product works amazing and held up great through a very hot summer last year. This makes the removal and install of the lower panel (for checking oil, cleaning, etc) and quick snap-on, snap off.

The tooling for these will be RTM (resin transfer molds) for OEM type close mold quality parts.

I'm also wondering why my photos are loading in such a low resolution.

Last edited by FalconF7; 04-06-2023 at 07:11 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by FalconF7:
2021NJC8 (04-07-2023), Andybump (04-06-2023), direct007 (05-06-2023), dreamr616 (04-07-2023), kratedisease (05-07-2023), Two vets (05-03-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-06-2023, 07:32 PM
Mr DJ
Instructor

The first photo is awesome! You will sell plenty, trust me! Once GM takes a look at what I sent them, I'm almost sure they will be in contact with you...the more I look, the more I want!
dreamr616 (04-07-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY!! My HTC the way I always wanted it.

Old 04-07-2023, 01:29 AM
Diavg38
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great! Congrats
Old 04-07-2023, 05:30 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,799 Likes on 5,631 Posts

Originally Posted by FalconF7
I can't link the website here, but anyone who wants to do a little digging can get many of these questions answered from the website. In the meantime, here are a few more pics. I'd like to get better ones soon. I really dig having this on the car.

I've decided to not go with the dual pane glass on the lower panel. The system I had going did run cooler, but not enough to justify the complexity and cost of what it took to do so. I do prefer the heat shielded composite frame around the replaceable Lexan, so I'm sticking with that design. Also, the 3M "snap lok" product works amazing and held up great through a very hot summer last year. This makes the removal and install of the lower panel (for checking oil, cleaning, etc) and quick snap-on, snap off.

The tooling for these will be RTM (resin transfer molds) for OEM type close mold quality parts.

I'm also wondering why my photos are loading in such a low resolution.
It definitely looks much better than the hideous HTC 'camel hump' .
Can you share the total cost?

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 04-07-2023 at 05:36 AM.
dreamr616 (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 01:43 PM
c_r_h
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
It definitely looks much better than the hideous HTC 'camel hump'
I never understood the 'camel hump' anyway. If I was GM I would run the middle section of the tonneau gradient along the sight line from the rear view mirror, so you don't see the car colored hump, but have the same field of view. That way water would not accumulate by the rear window and I think it would look better, too.
The following 2 users liked this post by c_r_h:
dreamr616 (04-07-2023), One Vettey Boi (04-08-2023)

Quick Reply: FINALLY!! My HTC the way I always wanted it.