Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar, AAA, or risk

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 05:20 PM
C5racecar
Drifting

Received 982 Likes on 474 Posts

Default OnStar, AAA, or risk

We are going to be driving from Atlantic to Pacific in our new C8 soon. Will be close to 4000 miles before we get home.
We don't expect to run out of gas, we have run flat tires, but it is always possible to hit an animal or something that would disable your car.

Is OnStar of value for anything like that. Will they send a tow truck if your car is disabled.
Is it worth it to pay for AAA just to have towing insurance?

Is there a better emergency option just to insure that you are covered in case of an accident.
I am not accident prone, but I did hit a bear in Yosemite 8 years ago, and I hit a deer decades ago.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:31 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by C5racecar
We are going to be driving from Atlantic to Pacific in our new C8 soon. Will be close to 4000 miles before we get home.
We don't expect to run out of gas, we have run flat tires, but it is always possible to hit an animal or something that would disable your car.

Is OnStar of value for anything like that. Will they send a tow truck if your car is disabled.
Is it worth it to pay for AAA just to have towing insurance?

Is there a better emergency option just to insure that you are covered in case of an accident.
I am not accident prone, but I did hit a bear in Yosemite 8 years ago, and I hit a deer decades ago.
I have AAA premier card up to 200 miles towing per person. We can be towed 400 miles . Over 28 years with AAA great service.
The following 3 users liked this post by oldC5:
hikerneil (03-27-2023), rfh928 (03-27-2023), Zormecteon (03-27-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 05:57 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,815 Likes on 2,957 Posts

I have AAA Premier or whatever they call their top-tier package, but your new C8 should come with a complimentary trial of OnStar. All new GM vehicles also have free roadside assistance for the powertrain warranty period. With that said, AAA Premier has a whole lot fewer restrictions with more generous coverages.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:58 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 331 Likes on 197 Posts

GOOD FOR YOU GO FOR IT!

I just completed a 3250 mile trip , I had a bra on the car for some extra protection.

if you have an accident you car insurance covers your towing, if you get stuck GM road side covers your towing, I brought a Pocket knife, A bright flash Light, a phone charging bank, proper clothing for the areas I would travel thru , I had an extra credit card from a different bank incase I lost other one, I brought some cash large and small bills, that I tucked away in the car with the extra credit card. And I had my Carry gun with me,

I do have AAA I purchased it once my kids were driving and have kept it ever since. I have never used it except for going to one of there service centers instead of a MV place. I also have the upgraded for longer tows. The down side of AAA is you can wait hours for some one to respond to you for road side

Good Luck on your trip, Its a great car
The following users liked this post:
C5racecar (03-26-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 478 Likes on 254 Posts

Over the years I have used my AAA card many, many times.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:53 PM
swift93
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Ih2lose
GOOD FOR YOU GO FOR IT!

I just completed a 3250 mile trip , I had a bra on the car for some extra protection.

if you have an accident you car insurance covers your towing, if you get stuck GM road side covers your towing, I brought a Pocket knife, A bright flash Light, a phone charging bank, proper clothing for the areas I would travel thru , I had an extra credit card from a different bank incase I lost other one, I brought some cash large and small bills, that I tucked away in the car with the extra credit card. And I had my Carry gun with me,

I do have AAA I purchased it once my kids were driving and have kept it ever since. I have never used it except for going to one of there service centers instead of a MV place. I also have the upgraded for longer tows. The down side of AAA is you can wait hours for some one to respond to you for road side

Good Luck on your trip, Its a great car
Never can tell when you might have to force the tow truck driver...
Old 03-26-2023, 08:45 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,250 Likes on 3,479 Posts

You might stop and consider how long many of us here have driven looooong distances, repeatedly without any "modern" safety devices. We all survived, mostly without issue and with vehicles often less reliable than the worst of todays... and I might add with nary a cellophane in sight. So, just take your phone and enjoy your trip.

(p.s. do any/all of your choices that will make you feel better if you must, since you are not likely to need them)
Fast Dawg (03-27-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 08:49 PM
C5 Dawg
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Check with your car insurance company. Many of them offer an Emergency Road Service option at a fraction of the AAA cost.
The following 3 users liked this post by C5 Dawg:
Fast Dawg (03-27-2023), Ghost 23 (03-28-2023), Samuel Clemens (03-27-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 08:50 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,455 Likes on 14,055 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

AAA is a good protection policy, but I have emergency road service on my regular auto insurance. It covers me should something go wrong. Of course with a new car, you have both OnStar and Roadside Assistance as part of your new car feaatures.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vetteman Jack:
EricC7 (03-27-2023), Ghost 23 (03-28-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 09:34 PM
C5racecar
Drifting

Excellent Info. I did not know about GM Roadside Assistance. Between that and OnStar, that should cover just about any mechanical problem.
It's not like the old days when you had to worry about the engine throwing a rod.

The only situation would be if you get into a car accident or hit an animal. Maybe that is where my insurance covers towing?
I will check with my insurance company. Oh yea, its a new car, I don't have insurance yet. Gotta get that.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:36 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,815 Likes on 2,957 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Dawg
Check with your car insurance company. Many of them offer an Emergency Road Service option at a fraction of the AAA cost.
Check the towing limits, many are as little as 15 miles.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:07 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,226 Likes on 3,417 Posts

I believe the GM road assistance also has trip interuption insurance. So if you have to stay in a hotel for a few nights it may be covered at some level. And if your normal insurance has travel interuption insurance I believe it is addative (you can use the other once the first runs out) but check with the compaines to be sure.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:36 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by C5racecar
Excellent Info. I did not know about GM Roadside Assistance. Between that and OnStar, that should cover just about any mechanical problem.
It's not like the old days when you had to worry about the engine throwing a rod.

The only situation would be if you get into a car accident or hit an animal. Maybe that is where my insurance covers towing?
I will check with my insurance company. Oh yea, its a new car, I don't have insurance yet. Gotta get that.
Exactly. Even OnStar is completely unnecessary.

GM gives free towing/ roadside assistance.

In an accident your insurance company should. It's usually literally 10 bucks or less per year. Very easy to add it.

There's zero need for AAA or OnStar as they would be redundant.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:00 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 331 Likes on 197 Posts

OK I forgot to add ,make sure you have a tow Eye bolt. I forgot to bring mine with me

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/exter..._XX4x6ew8q0Jso

I also purchased a set of Locking Lug nuts and installed them as My neighbor in Florida got me spooked about leaving my car in our parking lot with out them , a couple years back any "fancy car" had there wheels stolen one night
Old 03-27-2023, 08:44 AM
C5racecar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ih2lose
OK I forgot to add ,make sure you have a tow Eye bolt. I forgot to bring mine with me

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/exter..._XX4x6ew8q0Jso

I also purchased a set of Locking Lug nuts and installed them as My neighbor in Florida got me spooked about leaving my car in our parking lot with out them , a couple years back any "fancy car" had there wheels stolen one night
Got it. External Spline lug nuts just came by UPS Friday.
Ih2lose (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 09:01 AM
hikerneil
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

I have had AAA for 30+ years and I have used the towing service numerous times over the years. I personally see absolutely no need to have OnStar. All I need is a cell phone and AAA.
5632 (10-13-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 11:11 AM
Geezer1
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 146 Posts

Verify that your OnStar trial has been activated by pressing the SOS button before you leave the dealership when you pick up your new C8.

AAA is for more than just roadside emergencies and towing. AAA discount rates are sometimes the best for hotels and rental cars. AAA also provides a variety of travel services including being a convenient way to get an International Driver Permit.

A built-in telematics system can have a longer range than a handheld cell phone. We drive in areas (e.g. in and around my rural Missouri hometown) where I have no handheld cell phone service but built-in emergency services work fine.

If you run into problems it's nice to be able to press a SOS button instead of figuring out who to call. The OnStar operator will know exactly where you are too. I love to drive on rural roads for fun and would be hard pressed to describe where I am if I had to call someone on a phone for help.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar, AAA, or risk

Old 03-27-2023, 11:16 AM
john91498
Melting Slicks

Received 809 Likes on 401 Posts

Wow, some of you are adventurous souls. Anything over 200 miles driving and we fly...
Old 03-27-2023, 11:52 AM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezer1
Verify that your OnStar trial has been activated by pressing the SOS button before you leave the dealership when you pick up your new C8.

AAA is for more than just roadside emergencies and towing. AAA discount rates are sometimes the best for hotels and rental cars. AAA also provides a variety of travel services including being a convenient way to get an International Driver Permit.

A built-in telematics system can have a longer range than a handheld cell phone. We drive in areas (e.g. in and around my rural Missouri hometown) where I have no handheld cell phone service but built-in emergency services work fine.

If you run into problems it's nice to be able to press a SOS button instead of figuring out who to call. The OnStar operator will know exactly where you are too. I love to drive on rural roads for fun and would be hard pressed to describe where I am if I had to call someone on a phone for help.
Just as an fyi if you open maps on your phone it will immediately show your location. If you click on yourself on the map it will read it out and even give you the option to share your location various different ways.

So others know, OnStar uses ATT towers. In my locations they are significantly less accessible than my Verizon service. Other results may vary of course.

For those that vear from cellphone service a less expensive alternative to satellite phones are these...

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-27-2023, 01:37 PM
Geezer1
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Just as an fyi if you open maps on your phone it will immediately show your location. If you click on yourself on the map it will read it out and even give you the option to share your location various different ways.
That's if you have cell phone service with enough bandwidth. I recently drove over 100 miles on rural roads in torrential rain in darkness with no cell voice service and not enough bandwidth to send a text message. My in-dash nav was giving me flaky directions and I couldn't get a cell connection to check Goggle Maps. I learned from that experience that it's good to download Google maps so that they can be used offline. .

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
So others know, OnStar uses ATT towers. In my locations they are significantly less accessible than my Verizon service. Other results may vary of course.
I'm wondering if emergency services like OnStar are allowed to connect to cell phone towers regardless of which cell phone company provides the service. My ATT cell phone doesn't work in and around my rural home town due to the local cell company, Chariton Valley, not cooperating with ATT. However, Safety Connect emergency services in our Toyota van - also through ATT - worked just fine ... at least until 3G service was discontinued last September 1. I sold the Toyota van eight days before 3G service was discontinued and replaced it with a vehicle with 4G provided through Verizon.

I think it's good to not put all our eggs in one basket. I especially want my handicapped wife to be able to press an SOS button to get help when she needs it.

Quick Reply: OnStar, AAA, or risk