Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z Mode vs Track Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 04:43 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 735 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by GP37
If you are not using PTM, Track mode has a more agressive traction and stability control settings than Z mode. i am having issues posting the picture but you will find this on page 210 of the owners manual for the 2022. When i look at the 2023 manual it looks like they removed this info.
The 2021 manual has it as a continuation of the Driving mode chart on page 211. I felt a difference between Z mode and track mode when driving aggressively, but thought they were the same when not in PTM. Now, I know where the difference is and it is not my imagination. Good catch on the driving mode chart!

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 02-24-2023 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:47 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
The 2021 manual has it as a continuation of the Driving mode chart on page 211. I felt a difference between Z mode and track mode when driving aggressively, but thought they were the same when not in PTM. Now, I know where the difference is and it is not my imagination. Good catch on the driving mode chart!

The drive mode chart does not show any differences on it between zmode and track mode when you have z mode turned all the way up to track settings.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:47 PM
GP37
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
The drive mode chart does not show any differences on it between zmode and track mode when you have z mode turned all the way up to track settings.
the 2023 owners manual simplifies the drive mode attributes shown. the 2022 manual provides more info. i am able to upload pictures now

2022 manual

2023 manual

Last edited by GP37; 02-24-2023 at 08:48 PM. Reason: picture description
The following users liked this post:
AF330i (08-30-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 09:49 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

Originally Posted by bkowa092
This might be a stupid question, but is Z Mode (with all settings maxed out) the same as Track Mode?

In theory I'd imagine it should be, but I swear that Track Mode feels slightly more responsive. Anyone else notice this or is it all in my head?

Asking because I'd like to use Z Mode instead of Track if they are both the same.
Yep can be set that way. BUT I have Ride with my MRC and Steering set to Sport. NPP and eBoost set to Track but my option.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:33 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

the 2023 owners manual simplifies the drive mode attributes shown. the 2022 manual provides more info. i am able to upload pictures now

2022 manual

2023 manual
Yes exactly and you can see from that diagram that both z mode and track are identical if the z mode settings are set to track.

You can set the stability control and traction control mode to any PTM mode you would like in zmode so that is a misprint or they're just saying that that is the default mode without selecting any of the PTM modes.
Old 02-25-2023, 01:15 AM
GP37
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Correct, as mentioned before if you max out z mode settings and set ptm, both modes are the same. If ptm is off, using track mode will feel more aggressive than z mode since they will have different esc settings as i highlighted in the picture I previously posted.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:34 AM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Correct, as mentioned before if you max out z mode settings and set ptm, both modes are the same. If ptm is off, using track mode will feel more aggressive than z mode since they will have different esc settings as i highlighted in the picture I previously posted.

Yeah to clarify ​​​​​it shouldn't feel more aggressive but rather it will have less intervention if you put the vehicle past its useable slip angles. On the street no one would notice. On the track youd feel less intervention outside of ptn mode
Old 02-25-2023, 12:15 PM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 285 Posts

Newb question, the car always starts in tour mode, right? Or, does it remember which mode you were in when you shut it off?
Old 02-25-2023, 12:18 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,942 Likes on 2,673 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by undecided1965
Newb question, the car always starts in tour mode, right? Or, does it remember which mode you were in when you shut it off?
I have mine setup to start up in My Mode with customizable settings...
Old 02-25-2023, 12:24 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,818 Likes on 2,267 Posts

The Owner's Manual says that if in MyMode it will stay there through an ignition cycle. It says if any other mode it default to Tour. But some of the cars did not read the Owner's Manual. So, in some cases, if in Sport Mode, it will stay in Sport Mode through an ignition cycle.
RKCRLR (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 12:39 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 735 Likes on 475 Posts

I use Z mode and comparing the Z mode at the default settings which has traction and stability in tour. Yes, I have the option to turn all the settings to track, but not my daily preference.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 02-25-2023 at 12:51 PM.
bhvrdr (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 03:29 PM
spokewrench
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 12 Posts

I think Track Mode is noticeably more aggressive….
Old 02-25-2023, 03:35 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Z-Mode, Power set to Track (Ride with MRC set to Sport as I have) as far as shift rpm both up and down, max speed in 5th before it will shift to 6th (~72 mph) never shifting to V4 - it's the same. And my favorite with aggressive braking from 70 mph to 25 mph for a turn it downshifts 3 gears, rev match each all in the blink of an eye. Same as if set to Track. I like a firm ride, not teeth rattling so better for me the way I have Z-Mode set.

SIDEBAR
For those who don't like when you exit Z-Mode by pushing the steering wheel button, the car only goes to Touring, JUST DON'T!
For ~ 2 1/2 years I don't exit Z-Mode with the steering wheel button. Without looking down, put my hand on the Drive Mode Wrist Rest (great addition compared to my two C7s) and make one hard twist CCW. It goes into MY Mode. Then it starts in MY Mode as well.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-25-2023 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:47 PM
MarkMeHopeful
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,555 Likes on 848 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My 2022 will start in Tour, Sport, or MyMode if it was in that mode when shut off.
RKCRLR (02-25-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 10:22 PM
C8owner
Heel & Toe

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

In my C8 Z51 there is a difference I always drive in z-mode with all track mode settings except suspension which is in sport. I've been testing track mode and it holds the lower gears longer and the engine feels slightly more responsive.
Old 07-16-2023, 11:25 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C8owner
In my C8 Z51 there is a difference I always drive in z-mode with all track mode settings except suspension which is in sport. I've been testing track mode and it holds the lower gears longer and the engine feels slightly more responsive.
Track mode has the transmission/engine in track mode. You can also do that via z mode if you like. Up to you.
Old 07-17-2023, 12:37 AM
C8owner
Heel & Toe

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Track mode has the transmission/engine in track mode. You can also do that via z mode if you like. Up to you.
I always set everything to track in z-mode except suspension.

Last edited by C8owner; 07-17-2023 at 01:02 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z Mode vs Track Mode

Old 07-17-2023, 06:46 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

That is where I have been driving my Z-Mode for ~3 years, Power set to Track and Ride (MRC) set to Sport. Not 100% sure, but Throttle Progression may only be the fastest in Track Mode (see Table below.) There are Forum discussions where what I thought it was tired to Power setting that said it's not.

Recall in my 2014 C7 Z51 it was tired to Drive Mode and with my none MRC I drove in Track for the faster Throttle Response and less obtrusive Traction and Stability Control. Had zero effect on Ride. In my 2017 Grand Sport (that came standard with MRC) where before I got the $350 MRC software upgrade I had to drive in Touring to match my 2014 C7 Ride, Throttle Progression felt sufficiently slower I bought a Throttle Controller. Set mid way it felt like the non MRC 2014 C7.

BUT the C7s were both standard shifts and the main reason I felt the diffefference was when taking off. With the DCT would not be an issue as it's just dependent on the speed of of my right foot! The DCT control deals with the 1 gear clutch/throttle when taking off!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-17-2023 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:09 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,818 Likes on 2,267 Posts

Most think not. But I will not dispute your observation. I have looked through the 2023 Owners Manual for any clue about what could possibly be different. I found one item, but its ambiguous at best.

First some background. The car has the Driver Modes which are Weather, Tour, Sport, Track, My Mode and Z mode. Each Driver Mode is described as changing or modifying certain Driver Mode Attributes. In Z and My Mode, the Driver Mode Attributes can be customized. The table on page 210 of the 2023 Service Manual lists 9 Driver Mode Attributes that are affected by the Driver Mode Settings. Some confusion arises (I think) because the setting you can see and adjust in Z mode - engine/shift - does not appear in the list of Driver Mode Attributes. Instead, what you see are "Throttle Progression", "Trans Shift Mode", and "Active Fuel Managment". You must look elsewhere in the manual to find out which setting controls those attributes, and its not all in one place. On page 211, Throttle Progression and AFM are described as "presets" of the engine/shift setting - that is - by adjusting engine/shift setting, the throttle progression and AFM behavior are modified. On page 212, the engine/shift setting is described as controlling throttle response, gear shifting and engine performance. So putting together the pieces that are attributable to the engine/shift setting we have engine/shift controls throttle progression, AFM behavior, gear shifting, and engine performance. Now, here comes the one possible thing that is different in Track Driver Mode. The Track Driver Mode description says it modifies "exhaust valve tuning". That particular item is not in the list of Driver Mode Attributes, and in fact does not appear anywhere else in the manual. Is it unique to Track Driver Mode - or is it just part of what is meant by "engine performance" selected by the engine/shift setting? Its ambiguous in my view. I think most will say its just part of the engine/shift setting. I have no basis to dispute that.

There is another possible difference - possibly/likely an inconsistency in nomenclature - The Track Driver Mode is described as automatically enabling "Performance Shift Features" when spirited driving is detected. And, Performance Shift Lights are described as part of the display them for Sport and Z modes. But elsewhere, we find Driver Influenced Gear Selection which has a very similar description and says clearly its effective in all driving modes but more progressively more aggressive in Sport and Track Modes. And associated with the we find the term "Performance Transmission Active Light". So, are these the same features and lights? I think they are, but why the difference in names : "Performance Shift Light", "Performance Transmission Active LIght", "Performance Shift Features" , "Driver Influenced Gear Selection"?

Old 07-17-2023, 09:20 AM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Andybump
Most think not. But I will not dispute your observation. I have looked through the 2023 Owners Manual for any clue about what could possibly be different. I found one item, but its ambiguous at best.

First some background. The car has the Driver Modes which are Weather, Tour, Sport, Track, My Mode and Z mode. Each Driver Mode is described as changing or modifying certain Driver Mode Attributes. In Z and My Mode, the Driver Mode Attributes can be customized. The table on page 210 of the 2023 Service Manual lists 9 Driver Mode Attributes that are affected by the Driver Mode Settings. Some confusion arises (I think) because the setting you can see and adjust in Z mode - engine/shift - does not appear in the list of Driver Mode Attributes. Instead, what you see are "Throttle Progression", "Trans Shift Mode", and "Active Fuel Managment". You must look elsewhere in the manual to find out which setting controls those attributes, and its not all in one place. On page 211, Throttle Progression and AFM are described as "presets" of the engine/shift setting - that is - by adjusting engine/shift setting, the throttle progression and AFM behavior are modified. On page 212, the engine/shift setting is described as controlling throttle response, gear shifting and engine performance. So putting together the pieces that are attributable to the engine/shift setting we have engine/shift controls throttle progression, AFM behavior, gear shifting, and engine performance. Now, here comes the one possible thing that is different in Track Driver Mode. The Track Driver Mode description says it modifies "exhaust valve tuning". That particular item is not in the list of Driver Mode Attributes, and in fact does not appear anywhere else in the manual. Is it unique to Track Driver Mode - or is it just part of what is meant by "engine performance" selected by the engine/shift setting? Its ambiguous in my view. I think most will say its just part of the engine/shift setting. I have no basis to dispute that.

There is another possible difference - possibly/likely an inconsistency in nomenclature - The Track Driver Mode is described as automatically enabling "Performance Shift Features" when spirited driving is detected. And, Performance Shift Lights are described as part of the display them for Sport and Z modes. But elsewhere, we find Driver Influenced Gear Selection which has a very similar description and says clearly its effective in all driving modes but more progressively more aggressive in Sport and Track Modes. And associated with the we find the term "Performance Transmission Active Light". So, are these the same features and lights? I think they are, but why the difference in names : "Performance Shift Light", "Performance Transmission Active LIght", "Performance Shift Features" , "Driver Influenced Gear Selection"?

I have literally never seen that light before probably because I've never driven the car outside of z mode with transmission set to track. This appears to lock it in that most aggressive performance shift setting as my transmission shift behavior does not change whether on a road course or driving across the state on a trip. It's always performance shifting which depends on things like brake pressure (for how aggressive the downshifts are) and throttle pressure (for holding gears). It's predictable though unlike in other modes where you can be placed in and out of performance shifting algorithm without you selecting it

Quick Reply: Z Mode vs Track Mode