Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of getting a C8

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 12:50 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Default Thinking of getting a C8

I have owned my 08 vert C6 f rom new with 176K on the odo. Have done a lot of maintenance and repairs over the 15 years of ownership. Really like the car but it is old. I really like the body style and the manual transmission. I got the C6 under the employee pricing plan but the C8 is excluded.

So guys tell me why I would like a C8 better. Do you guys miss the control of shifting. Also any issues that have popped up with the C*.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2023, 12:58 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,760 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Kudos for actually piling the miles on your C6! The DCT is a great transmission and has effectively rendered a manual obsolete. It's my first sports car that isn't a manual...and I do not miss it. Repairs and maintenance will cost you a hefty sum compared to what you got used to with the C6. If that concerns you, or the lack of a manual, you could always split the difference with the C7. I will say, the C8 interior quality is light years better than anything prior.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kracka:
ArizonaZ06 (02-18-2023), proeagles (02-18-2023), saleen556 (02-18-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 01:01 PM
combatninja
Drifting

Received 2,019 Likes on 860 Posts

If you love a manual but want something newer, why not a low-mileage C7? Manual cars are a bit hard to find but they're out there.
The following users liked this post:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (02-18-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 01:16 PM
Carnut1
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 129 Posts

I had a 07 Lemans Blue Z06, it was very modified but even when stock it had a certain beast hooligan nature to it that the C8 is missing. Don't get me wrong in my opinion everything about the C8 makes it a better car and far easier to drive closer to its limits. I guess the questions is what are you expecting from the car? If there is one thing I have learned it is that when you ask someone about a car they answer you based on their personal experiences with cars (these days people watch YouTube stuff and throw those opinions in as well) and someone like me that has owned almost 500 cars (and built over 200 one of a kind cars) in his life is going to have a very different opinion of a car than someone that has owned 10 cars in their life. I am fortunate enough to own a lot of cars at once (not as many as when I was younger 25 at a time) and I have cars that are like that 07 Z06 and are 3 pedal cars. The C8 is really such a different car from the C6 that it really is difficult to compare them, maybe you should try and find a C8 to drive, since they are so different it really is the best advice i can give you.
proeagles (02-18-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 02:01 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Very good advice from Carnut1.

The C8 HTC is my 8th Vette. All before were used manual coupes. All were daily drivers.

It is night and day. I had driven a dual-clutch car before making the move. I liked it and knew I was ready for the high performance luxury GT feel that the C8 provides. I miss the manual occasionally but not much. Playing with the paddles, which are way more crisp and responsive than any traditional automatic I’ve ever driven, is a fun experience in its own right. Plus, the HTC is the best of both worlds. 14 months and 12K miles later I remain thrilled with my choice.

But it is not always so. A good friend in our club had a C6 M6 which he loved. He’s been in and out of ‘60’s Vettes and muscle cars for decades, but has “simplified.” Anyway, he got in line for a C8 HTC, sold the C6, and bought a Miata to tide himself over. He’s had his C8 (gorgeous build, btw) for a year now. His wife recently picked up a Mach E. And guess what? For regular driving he prefers the Mach E to the Vette, and for fun he wants his Miata back! He calls the C8 a “starship” and it simply is not making him all that happy.

So, just be sure the C8 is what you REALLY want. If it is, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:09 PM
gdb069
Burning Brakes

Received 612 Likes on 332 Posts

I moved from an MB SL manual transmission to C8. At first I thought I would really miss the manual and the paddles would suck but the DCT paddle shifts really well and after a while I just let the car shift. Took me about one month to forget the manual shift and wonder why I ever liked it. The one weird thing is the paddles rotate with the steering wheel so difficult to shift in Manual mode in the middle of a "T" corner.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:21 PM
Colorado Torchy
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by gdb069
The one weird thing is the paddles rotate with the steering wheel so difficult to shift in Manual mode in the middle of a "T" corner.
Agreed. It takes some getting used to but does not feel right.
Old 02-18-2023, 04:27 AM
Nelag
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

My first Corvette was a C6 Torch Red Grand Sport. I loved looking out over that hood with those fenders. Luggage space of 22 cu ft is fantastic for traveling. Drove it 35,000 miles.

I have had my C 8 for about a year with 17,000 miles on it. Nice interior, like the GPS that the C 6 lacked and really miss loosing 10 cu ft of storage when traveling.

My wife tolerates the lower cu ft of storage for a 2 week trip, but I know she would rather travel in the C 6.

If I could do over I would get another C 6 and a better GPS system some how. Did I say I loved looking out over those fenders on the C 6 !!!!I

I put Boom Mat under all the carpeting to reduce the road noise and heat shielding under the car to keep the floor of the C 6 cooler. Made a nice cool, quite traveler.

C 6 was an automatic.

Just something to think about. Enjoy.
Old 02-18-2023, 05:26 AM
Jean Fume
Advanced

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado Torchy
Agreed. It takes some getting used to but does not feel right.
That is precisely the reason why I hope to see some sellers to propose CF or metal paddles which are 4 to 5 cm higher and lower than the stock ones. Especially in the mountains and particularly in the endless twisties it is much more fun to stear the car.
Old 02-18-2023, 06:00 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,740 Likes on 3,016 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Obviously the C8 has a better interior & way better creature comforts but is it better looking than a C6? Only you can make that call
Old 02-18-2023, 08:09 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,023 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Rocket, Plenty of content here in the C8 section to answer all your questions. Try the search function or browse around.

I’ve owned a C5, multiple C6’s (including a Museum delivery), multiple C7’s and now my Z51 HTC C8. The C8 is night and day from the C7 much less a C6.

My advice is go to a CarMax (or similar) and take a used C8 and take a test drive. It should answer all your questions in “feel” department.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:45 AM
IGTGI22!
Melting Slicks

Received 370 Likes on 195 Posts

I've owned all 3 (custom ordered new):

C8>C7>C6
Old 02-18-2023, 01:10 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,530 Likes on 1,608 Posts

It's good to see people who get a lot of miles out of a C6. I only kept mine 14 months because of the repairs - and they all had service bulletins associated with them. Mine was a 09 Manual that I bought specifically to mod. Vengeance Racing did the mods and did an excellent job. That car sounded great - even on the way to the dealer for another repair. Both my wife and daughter told me to sell it. The market was nuts in early 2021 when I sold it and I got the money I originally spent on the car and half of the mod money back.

I was going to buy a 18-19 C7 GS vert to replace the C6 because my wife and I loved our C7. As I mentioned, the market was nuts so when I started looking and realized I could buy a C8 for just a few thousand more I did it. My wife's only request was that I get a HTC. My C8 is my 5th Corvette and IMHO none of the other four even come close to the C8 with regards to style and performance. This car is just light years ahead of it's predecessors. There is a good reason it takes 8-14 months at best to get one at MSRP because of the wait lists.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:20 PM
CB56
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 109 Posts

What's not to like about any Corvette. Buy a C8 and you'll have two Corvettes.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:41 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,108 Likes on 522 Posts

I have held off on the C8. I’m a manual guy. I put 160k miles on my C5. Got a C6 and did 70k miles before it was totaled. Next was a C7. I put 20k miles on it and dumped it. I hated that car. I didn’t like anything about it.

So it’s subjective. Most would say I’m nuts not to get a C8 and totally crazy that I hated the C7. But we are all different. If I go back to Vettes again it will be a C6 GS or C5 z06.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:57 PM
Netsinah
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

No one on this thread has mentioned the mid-engine configuration of the C8, which makes it an entirely different (and better IMO) ride. So yes, the best advice for the OP is to test drive a C8 and then decide if it's for him/her. Good luck to the OP!
Rapid Fred (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 02:01 PM
Jeffer
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Kudos for actually piling the miles on your C6! The DCT is a great transmission and has effectively rendered a manual obsolete. It's my first sports car that isn't a manual...and I do not miss it. Repairs and maintenance will cost you a hefty sum compared to what you got used to with the C6. If that concerns you, or the lack of a manual, you could always split the difference with the C7. I will say, the C8 interior quality is light years better than anything prior.
c7 the c8 is a lot different

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of getting a C8

Old 02-18-2023, 02:06 PM
bgad
Safety Car

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

I only speak for myself.

My ‘22 HTC is now, by far, my favorite car ever!

Prior to it, my favorite was my manual transmission ‘95 M3 which I still have after 27 years.

I had an ‘06 Z06 manual transmission that I liked but wasn’t even close to as enjoyable as my C8.
Old 02-18-2023, 02:22 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

What made the traditional manual transmission a manual and what made an automatic an automatic was, from an internal standpoint, the manual transmissions had spur gears and a friction clutch and the automatics had planetary gears and a fluid clutch/torque converter. The C8 transmission has everything a traditional manual transmission had; i.e. spur gears and a friction clutch(s). The distinction of course that the C8 clutch/gear motions are computer controlled. You still have a lot of transmission operation control by using the paddle shifters. Question, with an 8 speed transmission do you think you'd ever up shift through all 8 gears with a traditional clutch pedal? Before the advent of the C8 DCT, I'd also go for the traditional clutch pedal car.
Old 02-19-2023, 12:43 AM
C5racecar
Drifting

Received 980 Likes on 473 Posts

I had three C4s all manual. Had a C5 racecar manual of course. When I bought My C6 in 2014, it was time for an auto. I'm not going to the track, and I wanted something that was more luxurious to drive.
I never regretted that decision on the C6, never missed a clutch pedal. It had paddle shifters if I really felt the need to bang gears.

FF to 2020, when I heard mid-engine Corvette, yes, I have to buy one of these. I was thinking automatic. When I read about the DCT, it was a perfect combination.
A manual trans with electronic shifting, and an electronic operated clutch. It could not be better. You have the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a C8