Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Opportunity @ MSRP- on the fence

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 12:14 PM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 496 Likes on 266 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Used C8's are still fetching at least list price or more. I've always bought used cars at least 3 years old. According to my research, most cars lose about 40% of their value after 3 years. My 14 C7 listed at $72k, and I bought it in '17 for $42k with only 7200 miles on it. It was basically a new car! Unfortunately those days are long gone unless you want to wait another 2-3 years for prices to come down. Even though it goes against everything I believe in, I bought a new one at MSRP, but that's the market today and I'm tired of waiting!
The following users liked this post:
saleen556 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 12:30 PM
csaturno1
Cruising

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I always bought a few years old- but I agree with you.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:50 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 379 Posts

This is a common question regardless of the car being looked at. A lot of people have this mindset that they should only buy used cars. But the entire auto industry is different now. That old logic just doesn't play out anymore. Its more complicated than that now. I have a friend like this, he just insists on buying everything from CarMax and doesn't really understand the market. He asked me about a Bronco recently, and I gave him some advice, explaining how the trim levels vary so much in price, and how its best to order a new one, because used ones are still pricing out $10k over MSRP. We even have a mutual friend at a Ford dealer that will sell at MSRP. He sent me a link to one he liked from CarMax, mentioning that it's such a good deal, so much less than the prices I was quoting, and its "fully loaded". So I checked out the link, and it was not fully loaded, it was practically a base model with very few options. I priced out the same packages on a brand new one, and its $10k cheaper than the CarMax price. I showed him this, figuring he would go order a new one like it. Nope... he came home with the CarMax Bronco a few days later. And hes telling all the neighbors how he got a fully loaded Bronco for much less than what they cost new. I'm just laughing... some people just can't change.

You are not going to save any money buying a used C8. You may actually pay more. That same logic applies to most cars these days. You buy used because you can't wait 6+ months for a new one. If you can wait, you can save money. Will you lose money in a year or two? Who knows. Maybe. Or you might make money. It's impossible to tell. None of the old rules apply. Plus, the C8 is an emotional purchase, no one needs a mid-engine 2 seat V8 sports car. If you want one, then buy it and be happy its MSRP. If you are looking for an investment, don't buy a car at all right now. It's a terrible time to buy cars.
The following 5 users liked this post by mnm4ever:
BearZ06 (01-25-2023), Big Lebowski (01-31-2023), jpmotorsport (02-01-2023), saleen556 (01-25-2023), STINGmole (01-29-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 03:57 PM
Peavey
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
I had planned to buy a forum members 22' coupe C8 lt3 Z51, mag ride front fift car, had 2k miles, was going to pay 98k,, driving home new years eve day I see a new white 70th anny HTC being backed off the car carrier, took a pic of the dealership and when I got home I called them, not sold, will sell at sticker, gave a phone deposit and picked it up 4 days later. I was offered a few 1lt cars at a few grand off, some dealerships wanted above sticker, dealers at sticker had little or zero inventory. So my wife's new car, soon headed to Callaway for supercharging
Pretty much the exact same thing happened with a friend of mine this weekend. He decided to look for a new C8, started by walking in to our local Chevy dealer and check out what they had. They sold him a new 70th Anniversary HTC in white that had just come in off the transport, sold it to him at MSRP. So yes, in much of the U.S. over-MSRP is no longer the norm and it shouldn't take long for it to catch up across the country.

Beautiful car, if my allocation had missed the 2022 model year I would have ordered the exact same model. As it is, I'm excited for the road trips we'll make in the two C8's...
Old 01-26-2023, 06:18 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by csaturno1
Sister in Law is GM at a Chevy dealer, she had an allocation and called me, I ordered exactly what I would want. White/ Red interior 2 LT, Z51 with Mage ride, front lift, GT2 seats and a few other small things. Came out to $88,900. She placed the order Friday and said when it comes in if I don't want it not to worry as they will just sell it themselves. She will sell it to me at MSRP. I was hoping she would also get a discount - here is my Question. When it comes in do i take it at MSRP or wait for used one and save some money? If i take it at MSRP and want to sell in 8-12 months will I lose 10 or 12 thousand or will they still hold good value? She said they are being build and come in now in 3-4 months. My original plan was to put half down and finance half the car assuming it was going to take 8-12 months to come in. I know we cannot predict the future but it seems like these cars are still selling well even tho I am seeing much more of them. I think MSRP is pretty normal at this point?
If she is your sister-in-law why is she ripping you off? We always sold at invoice to family.
akdredger (01-30-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 06:25 PM
Peavey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
If she is your sister-in-law why is she ripping you off? We always sold at invoice to family.
IMHO, considering that C8's are just barely coming off of huge dealer markups, I wouldn't call selling the car at MSRP as "ripping off" her brother in law. Not a special deal, but really, that is kind of strong language for what she is doing......
STINGmole (01-29-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 06:32 PM
Performance nut
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts

We all start somewhere. Some folks forgot that buying new isn't an option for some folks.

After going the route of buying really used, rental fleet sales, slightly used, new, and now made to order new; each has its benefits and drawbacks. Its ultimately up to you to decide what's best. Once I got over "the car depreciates the moment I drive it off the lot" part, buying new had some up sides like I'm literally the only person to do whatever in the car (I like to modify cars so knowing if someone abused the car or not can be important). Custom order is a whole 'nuther level. No compromises except the ones I choose and not having to sift through inventories to find what I'm looking for. To me that is worth the wait to get the car built and purchasing new.

I can say six months ago it was easier finding a dealership that would sell you a brand new C8 at MSRP than it was finding someone sell you a used C8 for less than $100k. It's getting better (at least in some markets) which is why some folks are fed up with flippers who create an account, poll Corvette owners for "what do you think" and then use it to flip a C8 at some insane price. Most don't have a problem with capitalism, most have an issue with making an already bad situation worse. If you want to save money, you are going to have to wait until the used market cools down (likely after C8Z and ERay hit markets). If you want a toy, buy from your SIL and have some fun.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:57 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve been wondering the same thing, as there is so much uncertainly right now and seems like there will be deals on all sorts of things this year. I turn 53 soon and have had 73 cars and with that pace, I do try to buy smart. Typically I buy used to avoid heavy depreciation costs. Of the 73 only two we bought new, a 04 BMW 330 ZHP which I ended up trading for a new 06 C6. I got a smoking deal on both and it made sense. If I were to buy a C8 now, I think I would buy new and order what I want. It’s a ton of money and I would want to get exactly what I want and do the museum delivery. Sure it might drop $10 to 15k, but the used ones will drop too (not as much). So maybe I save $7k buying used after a year, but at this price point is is really worth it? While a great value and more common than many exotics, it really is a special car.

For me, I think I’m holding out as I might talk my wife into moving to So Cal where I will be a bit house poor but weather and great road rich. If end up stuck here, I’ll be ordering a C8 and picking it up in BG.

Either way, I cannot believe how much my feelings have changed for the C8. Going to Turu one in San Diego next month. Hope it lives up to the hype!
Old 01-27-2023, 04:16 PM
Peavey
Instructor

Originally Posted by clubracer6
I’ve been wondering the same thing, as there is so much uncertainly right now and seems like there will be deals on all sorts of things this year. I turn 53 soon and have had 73 cars and with that pace, I do try to buy smart. Typically I buy used to avoid heavy depreciation costs. Of the 73 only two we bought new, a 04 BMW 330 ZHP which I ended up trading for a new 06 C6. I got a smoking deal on both and it made sense. If I were to buy a C8 now, I think I would buy new and order what I want. It’s a ton of money and I would want to get exactly what I want and do the museum delivery. Sure it might drop $10 to 15k, but the used ones will drop too (not as much). So maybe I save $7k buying used after a year, but at this price point is is really worth it? While a great value and more common than many exotics, it really is a special car.

For me, I think I’m holding out as I might talk my wife into moving to So Cal where I will be a bit house poor but weather and great road rich. If end up stuck here, I’ll be ordering a C8 and picking it up in BG.

Either way, I cannot believe how much my feelings have changed for the C8. Going to Turu one in San Diego next month. Hope it lives up to the hype!
I did the museum delivery - it was well worth it for me and would recommend it.
clubracer6 (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 04:53 PM
wellcraft290
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah anyone paying over msrp for a c8 is crazy.
im waiting and will get below sticker or just wait for the c9
Old 01-28-2023, 12:18 AM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 379 Posts

Buy the C8 now so you don’t make that mistake. The last thing you want to be at 53 is house poor. California is just too expensive now. It may be ok at 33, but as a fellow 53yo, we missed the window there. Try the Carolina’s or north Georgia. I would say Florida but we don’t have good roads and it’s too dang expensive here too now! Enjoy the Turo!
Old 01-28-2023, 05:38 AM
switchlanez
Drifting

Received 1,217 Likes on 685 Posts

Going to Turu one in San Diego next month. Hope it lives up to the hype!
Turo prices for C8s around here aren't too extragavant, around $200/day. I was about to reserve a nicely specced one but CARMAX Escondido finally had a C8 (and the only C8 in SD) listed and still available. As per company policy, they let me schedule a test drive and it passed my test. Not that I was blown away. It simply drove as I would expect.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:10 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
Yeah probably better to wait 6 more years for the C9 to come out and then in about 9 years you could get a C9 for MSRP.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cjunkie:
akdredger (01-30-2023), BearZ06 (01-29-2023), STINGmole (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 12:20 PM
VolsandVettes
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
Stop dreaming and start driving.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:47 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,374 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by VolsandVettes
Stop dreaming and start driving.
This reminds me of all the guys back in 2018 that were calling ZR1 buyers crazy. They were going to wait and "pick one up" at a $20k discount. We all know how that has worked out for them.
saleen556 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 07:34 PM
akdredger
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by csaturno1
Sister in Law is GM at a Chevy dealer, she had an allocation and called me, I ordered exactly what I would want. White/ Red interior 2 LT, Z51 with Mage ride, front lift, GT2 seats and a few other small things. Came out to $88,900. She placed the order Friday and said when it comes in if I don't want it not to worry as they will just sell it themselves. She will sell it to me at MSRP. I was hoping she would also get a discount - here is my Question. When it comes in do i take it at MSRP or wait for used one and save some money? If i take it at MSRP and want to sell in 8-12 months will I lose 10 or 12 thousand or will they still hold good value? She said they are being build and come in now in 3-4 months. My original plan was to put half down and finance half the car assuming it was going to take 8-12 months to come in. I know we cannot predict the future but it seems like these cars are still selling well even tho I am seeing much more of them. I think MSRP is pretty normal at this point?
Back in my Army days, there was a saying. Crap or get off the sh....tter
jpmotorsport (02-01-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 09:19 PM
GTS Bruce
Burning Brakes

Received 511 Likes on 303 Posts

Buy it. park it.Wrap in plastic.See what its worth in 20-30 years.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Opportunity @ MSRP- on the fence

Old 01-30-2023, 11:32 PM
Wyldfyer
Pro

Received 500 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishfryer527
How do I block this effing thread?
Don't comment and ignore? lol
Old 01-31-2023, 07:11 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,024 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Buy the car at MSRP. Getting you an allocation is the gift…don’t look the gift horse in the mouth and ask for a discount beyond that.

Don’t worry about what it will be worth in a year, you won’t want to sell it.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:24 AM
Warp Ten
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 350 Posts

Just remember this is a Big Boy/Girl toy. Be prepared to have a $1500 month car payment, large insurance bill and only drive it in the summer time. If this is not an issue do it, as it's still a long wait for a reduced cost used C8. If it's not a fit for your life style, I would pass, as flipping is a poke in the eye of your friend.
jpmotorsport (02-01-2023)

Quick Reply: C8 Opportunity @ MSRP- on the fence