Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Z51 Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 08:21 PM
GolferC8
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 53 Posts

Is it possible to order Z51 with no rear spoiler whatsoever but still come with the front splitter? Doesn't seem to be a way to build it that way on the visualizer. If you do the aero-delete option, does it for sure come pre-drilled under the front fascia for easily adding an aftermarket splitter? Or would they not even drill the holes in that case?
Old 01-11-2023, 08:28 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 130 Posts

If the car is an anniversary Z51 and you’re getting a good deal, just buy the car and add the splitter as all screws are there. It is a 15 minute job on a lift. I added it to my non Z51. (SIMPLE)
Old 01-11-2023, 09:40 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Originally Posted by jtp01
That's what is odd as it has the standard Z51 spoiler. It just makes me question what else they didn't install as part of the PDI as I understand there are brake ducts and maybe a few other things they missed as well. I think I'm just going to pass and avoid the dealer as they haven't been the easiest to deal with and extremely challenging if I want the "privilege" of purchasing at MSRP. Given the market is starting to soften, more and more are coming available and that we are in winter, I'll just wait.
IMO you're missing a good deal IF that is the car you want. IF you plan on Tracking (doesn't sound like you are) it's ONLY the top of the rear brake ducts that might be missing. The bottoms are only installed when tracking. Not needed. Don't think anything else of significance. That small plastic splitter is cheap. Those of us who installed the 5VM splitter/side skirts removed, I tossed! The significant things that come with a Z51 are all installed at BG, bigger brakes, stiffer suspension, extra coolant rad, eLSD (versus simple 1960s Positraction) and performance tires. The expensive body option, the Z51 low wing it has.

Market may be softening BUT if you order from the large Vette dealers you'll have to wait ~8 months to get at MSRP. Sounds to me you might be looking for an excuse not to buy!

If you are waiting for the old Kerbeck (now Ciocca) to have ~200 new Vettes in stock with prices ~10+% below MSRP (and what you see is what you pay) that's a few years off!

Would not blame the dealer for anything!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-12-2023 at 07:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dohabandit (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 06:24 AM
CamALot
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by GP37
c8s with the z51 can be orderd with an "Aero Delete" which will get rid of the spoiler and front splitter. One of guys I go cruising with, Bob, ordered his that way.

He is active on these forums and can confirm himself.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...bob-paris.html
could be the aero delete - if not, the dealer is full of poopoop. Check the window sticker.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:58 AM
RedTRex
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RKTKTV
"Aero Delete gets you a low profile spoiler and "smallish" front splitter."

As I recall, that is a two step process. First, you specify "aero delete", which removes the Z51 standard spoiler/splitter. (RPO ZF1) Adding the low profile spoiler/splitter is a separate option. (RPO TVS) No charge, but still a separate option.

Does the OP recall seeing a spoiler?
You recall correctly.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:18 AM
brocco
Pro

Received 286 Likes on 163 Posts

EasyElliot said it correctly.... if the car checks all the other boxes for you and the price is correct, buy it as you can get a much nicer aftermarket splitter.
Old 01-12-2023, 01:38 PM
jtp01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I realize the front splitter is a minor issue, as I'd probably get one from ACS that is painted anyway. My larger issue is, what else could the dealer not have installed that is part of the Z51 package? Someone above mentioned part of the brake ducts, that would be important as I do 3-5 track days per year, just HPDE stuff but still want the other Z51 components.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:02 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,450 Likes on 806 Posts

I realize the front splitter is a minor issue, as I'd probably get one from ACS that is painted anyway. My larger issue is, what else could the dealer not have installed that is part of the Z51 package? Someone above mentioned part of the brake ducts, that would be important as I do 3-5 track days per year, just HPDE stuff but still want the other Z51 components.
Cheap parts. All the important stuff for Z51 is done at the BG assembly plant.
Jump on it... before it gets away.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:13 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,217 Likes on 3,411 Posts

He the dealer made some stipulations including having to finance with them and requiring a trade-in. How good a deal it is depends on if they are low balling him for the trade-in.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:16 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,354 Likes on 483 Posts

I'll answer a few of the questions raised in the responses. I am not specifically looking for a 70th anniversary edition, actually we would rather find a convertible without that option as we're not necessarily in love with the white seats but could live with it.

I realize the splitter is a low cost item, my point is the dealership being dishonest and the struggle it's been to work with them. They are "willing" to sell it at MSRP with multiple stipulations, have to trade-in, must finance with them, etc. but it's been days of this back-and-forth BS at every step in the process. I have other toys and am very high on another dealerships list to order a Z06, I just thought it would be nice to get a C8 in the meantime given more seem to be coming available, and dealers are starting to sell at MSRP, so we can certainly wait if we don't find one.
You should go back to the dealer and check for the drilled holes. If they are there ask him where the spoiler went.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:37 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,831 Likes on 5,642 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
He the dealer made some stipulations including having to finance with them and requiring a trade-in. How good a deal it is depends on if they are low balling him for the trade-in.
Correct, anytime a dealer 'requires' you use their financing and have to have a trade you can bet they are planning to screw you on both. I'd run from this dealer, especially since OP isn't specifically looking for a 70th anniversary.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:19 PM
jtp01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

We plan to go inspect the car Saturday. I found a YouTube video of a GM tech installing all of the dealer installed PDI items. So now I know what to look for to ensure the other PDI items are actually installed. If it is just the splitter, I’d be okay as I plan to install a painted one from ACS.

Agree with a previous point about this dealership. I got an approval from our bank so I know what a good rate should be in this market. Also, now have two other values on my trade and ran it through KBB’s buy process. They are actually the second highest on the trade value, only $1,500 lower than the highest. I’m sure I could sell it for more but would lose the tax credit for trading and that value would balance the sale value.

Provided their interest rate is competitive and the rest of the car checks out, we will have to decide on the deal. We’ve been working the deal over the phone as it’s just over an hour away and schedules didn’t permit making the drive during the week. If it doesn’t make sense, then I’ll just continue to wait as we don’t have to have a 70th. Our short list is just a HTC, Z51 with mag ride, front lift and like several colors.

I’m sure I’m beating a dead horse in saying, it’s sad that it’s either a fight to get one at MSRP or be willing to pay well over for one of these cars. Crazy times we are experiencing…
Old 01-13-2023, 12:35 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CitznFish
You should go back to the dealer and check for the drilled holes. If they are there ask him where the spoiler went.
There are no hole without the splitter. There are screws holding the plastic aero panel. The splitters, be they Z51 or my 5VM splitter, use the same screws.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:38 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

We plan to go inspect the car Saturday. I found a YouTube video of a GM tech installing all of the dealer installed PDI items. So now I know what to look for to ensure the other PDI items are actually installed. If it is just the splitter, I’d be okay as I plan to install a painted one from ACS.

Provided their interest rate is competitive and the rest of the car checks out, we will have to decide on the deal.
Yep there are video's that show the install BUT note they hang down very low AND THE PDI SAY NOT to install the lower portion! That is only for Tracking and should also be removed for street use. The dealer is to install ONLY the upper part, very simple if they did not!
BTW, assuming his finance rates are high, read the fine print you can usually pay it off in full quickly and get your own!
Old 01-13-2023, 01:08 AM
C5 Dawg
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

What does the window sticker show? That should resolve all questions, including what the actual msrp is.
The following users liked this post:
Cumbers (01-15-2023)

Quick Reply: C8 Z51 Question