Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Museum Delivery ,how I did it

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 08:11 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by ZipZap
Thread resurrection! I have saved this thread for a long time as info, and I finally got the note from Shane with a build date.

A question that I have not seen answered across these R8C threads, but I'm sure due somewhat to the fact that folks want to get their butt in that seat pronto, how long after the actual delivery date are you allowed to wait to pick up at NCM?
Shane told me they like to schedule pickup no sooner than 2 weeks after delivery, because deliveries can be delayed, or they may find an issue during dealer prep.
The following users liked this post:
Rharfo (11-24-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 08:35 PM
ZipZap
Race Director

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Received 288 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by sshallen
Shane told me they like to schedule pickup no sooner than 2 weeks after delivery, because deliveries can be delayed, or they may find an issue during dealer prep.
No, I'm looking the other direction. How long will they let you keep it there before pickup?
Rharfo (11-24-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 08:44 PM
Performance nut
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts

No, I'm looking the other direction. How long will they let you keep it there before pickup?
I had to reread this because my brain went "does not compute".

I went three weeks out and glad I did because there were some administrative hiccups that came up and would have cut it extremely close had I took delivery this week. No one seemed to flinch at that. I guess talk to Shane/Becky and see what they say... and then post it in the thread. I have a feeling so long as it isn't for a significant amount of time (talking months), I don't get the impression that it would be a problem.
ZipZap (10-17-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 10:26 PM
ZipZap
Race Director

Originally Posted by Performance nut
I had to reread this because my brain went "does not compute".

I went three weeks out and glad I did because there were some administrative hiccups that came up and would have cut it extremely close had I took delivery this week. No one seemed to flinch at that. I guess talk to Shane/Becky and see what they say... and then post it in the thread. I have a feeling so long as it isn't for a significant amount of time (talking months), I don't get the impression that it would be a problem.
Thanks. I'll post it up after I talk to him, but I wanted to see if anybody waited a bit after delivery.

As well as the fact if it gets bumped a bit, maybe I still don't need to change. FWIW, I value certainty over rapidity at this point. How's Christmas in Nashville?
Old 10-17-2023, 10:27 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Back in the spring of 2007, I had to schedule 6 weeks after production due to a vacation in Ireland.
ZipZap (10-17-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 01:04 AM
ZipZap
Race Director

Have my VIN. Have my SXM account. Car is built.
My plans are similar to the OP's with a couple differences.

First, I have not been in a hurry either to get there, or get back. December is about the only month I have hard commitments to my wife to help with entertainment. This car's initial TPW was 11/6, probably late in the week. It got built on 11/13. It's expected delivery was right after TGiving, plus I wanted some work from Auto Armor. My wife's keep out weeks are 12/4 & 12/7 I knew I was asking NCM to hold on to a vehicle longer than normal, and they did not flinch. Just asked for a date. Very professional.

Not to worry. I'm retired, so I'm able to fly and schedule an evening in NSH, and then head up to BG the next morning. I have laps scheduled that day and I may wander around the museum a bit to see things and not be in a rush on delivery day, the following day. If something comes up while I'm in BG, or bad weather on the way home, I'll just wait an extra day for delivery, or if on the road won't travel that day.

Yes it's cold. Yes, it's a Z-51.

All should start on 12/11 and I'll let you know how mine went. Really looking forward to it.
Midlifegoals (11-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 08:13 AM
billclerm
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Great write up, thank you. I wish Canadians could do the museum delivery.sounds like a great experience!
Old 11-24-2023, 08:42 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,149 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by billclerm
Great write up, thank you. I wish Canadians could do the museum delivery.sounds like a great experience!
Thank You , It is something that should be done at least once. All the people at the Museum are fantastic, the food is great also.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:08 AM
seafordguy
Racer

Received 380 Likes on 190 Posts

Have my VIN. Have my SXM account. Car is built.
My plans are similar to the OP's with a couple differences.

First, I have not been in a hurry either to get there, or get back. December is about the only month I have hard commitments to my wife to help with entertainment. This car's initial TPW was 11/6, probably late in the week. It got built on 11/13. It's expected delivery was right after TGiving, plus I wanted some work from Auto Armor. My wife's keep out weeks are 12/4 & 12/7 I knew I was asking NCM to hold on to a vehicle longer than normal, and they did not flinch. Just asked for a date. Very professional.

Not to worry. I'm retired, so I'm able to fly and schedule an evening in NSH, and then head up to BG the next morning. I have laps scheduled that day and I may wander around the museum a bit to see things and not be in a rush on delivery day, the following day. If something comes up while I'm in BG, or bad weather on the way home, I'll just wait an extra day for delivery, or if on the road won't travel that day.

Yes it's cold. Yes, it's a Z-51.

All should start on 12/11 and I'll let you know how mine went. Really looking forward to it.
Good for you taking your time. That’s my biggest regret not having more time, particularly to better enjoy the ride home. So many great small town in America and I wish we had more time, but being early forties with 2 young kids meant we were in a rush.

also, I highly recommend this hotel - neat eccentric place a short walk to a bunch of killer restaurants, etc…..

https://www.expedia.com/Bowling-Gree...9-56c4eddc8c12
Old 11-24-2023, 08:13 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Good write up, thanks. I pick mine up Tuesday and will do the plant tour also. Not doing the laps due to other plans and I need to get home Friday.
On the SD comment earlier, you do not get one free with Museum delivery. The email from Becky listed out what to bring and it includes a SD card.
Old 11-25-2023, 07:30 AM
p4snow
Burning Brakes

Received 453 Likes on 244 Posts

Did Museum delivery for my C8 11/17/22. Just a few comments…All of the major car rental companies offer one way rentals to BG. We chose Hertz and our Museum guide Al picked up at the Hertz office on delivery day morning. We stayed at Sync Hotel which was terrific and originally reserved a garage, but it looked too tight to fit my 1LT coupe in. That was the only night the car ever spent outside of a garage. The burger at Stingray Grill is delicious and the sweet potato waffle fries melt in your mouth. If you plan to buy a ticket for any of the raffles, they can be purchased in the gift shop. I live in Texas so can’t purchase them online,
Old 11-25-2023, 09:43 AM
seafordguy
Racer

Received 380 Likes on 190 Posts

I’m not sure why people bother with rental cars unless you need one for a couple days. The Bowling Green shuttle is REALLY easy……..
Old 11-25-2023, 10:09 AM
Ghost 23
Pro

Received 291 Likes on 119 Posts

My 2 cents: Skip the NCM Motorsports Park. My brain was flooded by the delivery presentation (and jet lag). I really did not enjoy my laps.

Spring Mountain is a completely different level . . . Great experience.

Hotel SYNC got the job done. Next time we will try the Drury.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:17 PM
ZipZap
Race Director

Here's a new one I've run across and wonder if anybody has purchased the GM Tire/Wheel Warranty that also had R8C.

I was told by "my warranty guy" that the GM T/W Warranty can ONLY be sold on Initial Service Date (ISD). Therefore, he can't sell me one, because the ISD pretty much comes and goes without one knowing when doing museum. My ISD was 11/20. I'm struggling with how anybody using R8C would comply with these rules.
Old 11-29-2023, 05:03 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ghost 23
My 2 cents: Skip the NCM Motorsports Park. My brain was flooded by the delivery presentation (and jet lag). I really did not enjoy my laps.

Spring Mountain is a completely different level . . . Great experience.
Makes sense to me, and that's what I did. Delivery anxiousness even took some shine off the plant tour.

Basically... ok, great meal, and a very nice delivery experience. Even the advice to always be at a full stop with ebrake engaged before lowering/raising top so that wind does not blow the car over.

Now let me get on the backroads in this beauty!!!

I didn't even buy swag, just came back later and bought some.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:33 PM
EC145Pilot
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 112 Posts

Even the advice to always be at a full stop with ebrake engaged before lowering/raising top so that wind does not blow the car over.
Kidding right? I do hope this is a joke, right?
Seriously, are they putting this out?
Straight from the manual.
Opening the Convertible Top — Driver Door
Switch

1. Ensure the roof and tonneau cover are
clear of any objects.
2. The trunk must be closed.
3. Start the vehicle or place it in
accessory mode.
4. When possible, operate the convertible
top when the vehicle is stopped. The top
can be operated while driving below
50 km/h (31 mph) and will stop if that
speed is exceeded. The top operation will
take approximately 17 seconds. Make
sure the top operation can be completed
before that speed is reached.
5. Press and holdM. The windows will
automatically lower.
6. After the convertible top is completely
open, a chime sounds and a Driver
Information Center (DIC) message
displays. Release the switch.
If the radio is on, the sound may be muted
for a brief time to automatically adjust the
audio after the top is opened.
Old 12-09-2023, 05:25 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EC145Pilot
Kidding right? I do hope this is a joke, right?
Seriously, are they putting this out?
Straight from the manual.
Yes, she was very sincere and she was so nice, I just let it go. Same with the tour guide saying all Corvettes are on two week QC hold "BY LAW!!!!" lol.

Same delivery advisor told me "You will put your key fob in the front cupholder EVERY TIME you start the car or it could get confused" and I said "Well I won't" and she said "Yes you will or you could confuse the computer!!!". I let it go and thought "If I have to do that, I'll do it once on the way to trade it in!".

They don't know much, they are relatively unsupervised, but they really try.

I view the nominal museum delivery fee as 75% assuring the best by far pre delivery prep team in the world preps my car, 24% donation to the museum.

1% doesn't leave much to hire automotive engineers for delivery.

Last edited by sshallen; 12-09-2023 at 05:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Museum Delivery ,how I did it

Old 12-09-2023, 05:47 PM
EC145Pilot
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes, she was very sincere and she was so nice, I just let it go. Same with the tour guide saying all Corvettes are on two week QC hold "BY LAW!!!!" lol.

Same delivery advisor told me "You will put your key fob in the front cupholder EVERY TIME you start the car or it could get confused" and I said "Well I won't" and she said "Yes you will or you could confuse the computer!!!". I let it go and thought "If I have to do that, I'll do it once on the way to trade it in!".

They don't know much, they are relatively unsupervised, but they really try.
Thanks for your reply, we picked ours up, at the Museum, Thursday, and wanted to be prepared for the possibilities. SO much information on this forum!
My delivery person admitted he was not completely knowledgeable about the 2024 changes in the infotainment and Navigation. Said the new feature of automatic bright/dim of the headlights was always on and could not be turned off. I let it go also, had already learned how to do it from this forum. He did not mention the wind blowing over the car. I let several things go, knowing my wife was sitting there laughing at how bad I wanted to correct him.
The tour lady mentioned the two weeks and mentioned that you could lower and raise the top at speeds up to 45mph, I let that go also. She mentioned there was only one emergency "key", but I think she meant there was only one "emergency opening slot". I did enjoy the tour as there were only five of us in the group and the last tour before they went on lunch break, so we kinda took a little longer than usual. So many Z06s on the line, several with the Z07 option, which everyone is saying is not being built, well, they are. Saw two right hand drive export models and dash framework for two more.
On our trip back home, I drove, my wife, got the manual out, started reading and we explored. Learned a lot about the new infotainment. Gonna sound weird, but its different, but the same. Also, played with the Goggle maps, it's not that hard to use, but different from the version on the iPhone. Need to find out how to change the satellite view to just a map view.
And,,,the food at the Stingray is really good!
Rharfo (12-10-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 07:06 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I second using the Drury Hotel as an overnight. It's a classy hotel. But just remember. DO NOT PARK under the tree at the entrance. Birds nest there overnight and you won't be able to see your car in the morning for all the bird poop. Luckily I did this only with my rental car, so not my problem.
Old 12-09-2023, 08:39 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Folks, do NOT make the assumption that summer tires are not that bad in cold weather. I did that stupid mistake when I picked up a new M3 V8 in Las Vegas back in 2008. I found out the hard way that cold weather and rain don't mix with summer tires. Grip is minimal, and you get ZERO warning. And don't expect TC to save your a$$, because it won't. And even without rain, your braking distances are significantly lengthened, and grip is very low, and still without warning. So you still have to take it VERY EASY in the twisties. That's why the A/S Pilot tires offer infinitely more grip, water evacuation, and safety than summer tires in every condition, except if driving the car HARD on a track (or hot ambient temps). Any other situation, like a hard mountain run, where summer tires don't get up to their required temperature, the A/S ultra-high-performance tires on the base C8 outperform the PS4s or PS5s. Be careful when driving in winter. It really sucks crashing your brand new car when you push your luck. And yes, I was able to drive the car home, with just cosmetic damage, but not a good start. Ha ha. I was taking it easy, but not easy enough. And should have stopped when it started raining @ 37-deg. Hit a pot hole on a STRAIGHT road (before getting curvy, thankfully), and car went sideways instantly, and felt like it had skates, not tires (zero grip). And I've taken many track camps on both bikes and cars, so I'm an above-average driver. Live and learn. Just trying to help my brothers avoid my experience.

Last edited by JCtx; 12-09-2023 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Museum Delivery ,how I did it