Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate from factory?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 04:37 PM
Red rag
Drifting

Received 940 Likes on 462 Posts

Default Front license plate from factory?

My car was just built yesterday. I’m looking at my sticker and it shows front license plate installed. I believe this is in error somehow as I made sure it was removed from my original build sheet. My question is what does it do to the front of the car and is it dealer or factory installed. I’m trying to make sure it doesn’t have holes drilled, but am I too late?

Popular Reply

01-07-2023, 04:47 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Red rag
My car was just built yesterday. I’m looking at my sticker and it shows front license plate installed. I believe this is in error somehow as I made sure it was removed from my original build sheet. My question is what does it do to the front of the car and is it dealer or factory installed. I’m trying to make sure it doesn’t have holes drilled, but am I too late?
1. It is dealer installed.
2. I think if it is shipped to a state that requires a front plate, the bracket is required to be included on the build sheet.
3. It does not in involve drilling any holes. To install it, the dealer will remove the front Aero plate (and return that plate to you). Behind that aero plate are two already inserted metal parts that accept the mounting screws. It only uses two screws to hold it.
4. Ask you dealer not to install it, but don't worry if the dealer does install it. Just remove it and put the Aero plate back on. It is very, very easy.
Old 01-07-2023, 04:47 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red rag
2. I think if it is shipped to a state that requires a front plate, the bracket is required to be included on the build sheet.
3. It does not in involve drilling any holes. To install it, the dealer will remove the front Aero plate (and return that plate to you). Behind that aero plate are two already inserted metal parts that accept the mounting screws. It only uses two screws to hold it.
4. Ask you dealer not to install it, but don't worry if the dealer does install it. Just remove it and put the Aero plate back on. It is very, very easy.
The following 7 users liked this post by Andybump:
85vetteguy (01-07-2023), bullmarket (01-09-2023), Chemdawg99 (01-09-2023), Fishfryer527 (01-07-2023), proeagles (01-08-2023), RKCRLR (01-10-2023), Ron_Attleboro_MA (03-07-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-2023, 05:25 PM
Red rag
Drifting

Oh what a relief! I was on vacation in Florida when I got my allocation and noticed it was on my build. I asked dealer for it to be removed which it was, perhaps the original was submitted by accident, not sure. Anyway, no my state no longer requires it and relieved it won’t affect anything except wasting $15. Thanks for info, I couldn’t find anything on the internet.
The following users liked this post:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (03-07-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 06:16 PM
DaveDMW
Pro

Received 713 Likes on 272 Posts

I got one too. My dealer is in New Hampshire so it automatically was added to the window sticker. The plate holder was in the trunk, uninstalled.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveDMW:
markb01 (01-08-2023), Red rag (01-07-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 06:26 PM
magneto10
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes.

mine was included too uninstalled and in the Frunk when the car arrived
The following 2 users liked this post by magneto10:
dfog22 (01-07-2023), Red rag (01-07-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 06:52 PM
p4snow
Burning Brakes

Received 453 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveDMW
I got one too. My dealer is in New Hampshire so it automatically was added to the window sticker. The plate holder was in the trunk, uninstalled.
Same here.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:03 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,675 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Manufacturers are required to ship vehicles with a front plate attachment to dealers in states where front plates are required. They are never installed at the factory, and a good dealer won't mount them unless you ask them to.

On the C8, you don't need it at all because the aero cover can be removed and plate mounted in that recessed area. If it is no longer required, the aero cover can be popped right back in, and no one will ever know a front plate was mounted. The one GM ships with C8 complies with front plate height requirements, but I've never heard of that being enforced even in strict states.
RKCRLR (01-10-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 09:20 PM
Red rag
Drifting

Makes sense now. I ordered through MM (2 plate state)but licensed in Ohio (one plate state). It wasn’t on my build sheet and I was worried there would be holes. All good and thanks for responses so I can sleep tonight.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,623 Likes on 14,161 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Andybump
There you go - nothing to really worry about in terms of any damage to the car.
Red rag (01-07-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 03:15 PM
mefly2
Drifting

Received 351 Likes on 207 Posts

Heart attack averted ...
Old 01-09-2023, 03:19 PM
David.L
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I live in New Jersey, a two license plate state, and my 2023 C8 was delivered with the front bracket left in the trunk in the box.I took delivery at Ciocca of Atlantic City last July. I only installed the rear plate because as everyone knows, a front plate doesn’t belong on a Corvette🤷‍♂️😀
Old 01-09-2023, 03:29 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Just FYI, I think the C8 designers planned the area behind the aero cover as the "Easter Egg" location to mount a front plate. Once you take that cover off, there are four embossed dots, which are the drill locations for US plate mounting holes, and that area is precisely tailor-made to accommodate a US-style license plate. The license plate mounts flush with the rest of the nose in that recessed area, and it is the best front plate mounting location I've ever seen on any vehicle. If you no longer need a front plate, the aero cover pops back on, and no one is the wiser.

Because, it probably doesn't comply with front plate height requirements in many states, GM doesn't advertise it, and they are obligated to ship a height-compliant mount, but almost no one uses them. As I said above, I've never heard a single account of anyone stopped because of having plate mounted too low.

As far as I'm concerned it belongs on this Corvette, and I prefer it to the big black void on the nose. I wish I had a nickel for every time someone says, "my state requires it, and I haven't been stopped." Folks ought to be smart enough to recognize that It depends upon your local PD. I tried running without a front plate in MD, and I was pulled over too many times in my county. It was specifically because I was not running a front plate, not for any other infraction.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-09-2023 at 03:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Chemdawg99 (01-09-2023), RKCRLR (01-10-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 03:57 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=Foosh;1606126040] I wish I had a nickel for every time someone says, "my state requires it, and I haven't been stopped." Folks ought to be smart enough to recognize that It depends upon your local PD. I tried running without a front plate in MD, and I was pulled over too many times in my county. It was specifically because I was not running a front plate, not for any other infraction......../QUOTE]

Exactly. I ran my C5 in Maryland, without the front plate. And I was stopped, and received a citation. So, I now run my front plate - not with the GM supplied bracket.
The following 2 users liked this post by Andybump:
Foosh (01-09-2023), RKCRLR (01-10-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 04:36 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,671 Likes on 852 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

This.
I did museum delivery but had my dealership install it when my plates came in.
If you live in a state that requires a front plate, and 30 states do require it (IIRC), then my recommendation would be to save yourself the hassle and install the front plate.

Yes, I realize that it "ruins the aesthetics/lines of the car" (I respectfully disagree but to each his/her own) and yes, I realize that depending on where you live, you may never be pulled over and cited for not having one (again, assuming you live in a state where you have to have one), but giving law enforcement cause to pull you over at any time simply isn't worth it if you ask me.

Congrats to the OP on the new C8
RKCRLR (01-10-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 04:51 PM
Jbravo_AK
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 79 Posts

My car when I had it built I told the dealer to not do anything to the front (license plate). When it arrived it was untouched and no bracket or anything in the frunk. This was before my state didn't require a front license plate anymore (now we don't require them). Just my experience.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:10 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

There is one more thing about the gm bracket. Although it does not require drilling, it is held in by just two screws. The top part of the bracket actually touches, rests against the painted front facia. I sure that if left there, it would eventually get something abrasive between it and paint, and chaff the paint.
Foosh (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 05:41 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,671 Likes on 852 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Foosh
Just FYI, I think the C8 designers planned the area behind the aero cover as the "Easter Egg" location to mount a front plate. Once you take that cover off, there are four embossed dots, which are the drill locations for US plate mounting holes, and that area is precisely tailor-made to accommodate a US-style license plate. The license plate mounts flush with the rest of the nose in that recessed area, and it is the best front plate mounting location I've ever seen on any vehicle. If you no longer need a front plate, the aero cover pops back on, and no one is the wiser.

Because, it probably doesn't comply with front plate height requirements in many states, GM doesn't advertise it, and they are obligated to ship a height-compliant mount, but almost no one uses them. As I said above, I've never heard a single account of anyone stopped because of having plate mounted too low.

As far as I'm concerned it belongs on this Corvette, and I prefer it to the big black void on the nose. I wish I had a nickel for every time someone says, "my state requires it, and I haven't been stopped." Folks ought to be smart enough to recognize that It depends upon your local PD. I tried running without a front plate in MD, and I was pulled over too many times in my county. It was specifically because I was not running a front plate, not for any other infraction.

Had the same issue and it was only because my front plate fell off (3M tape failed) and was on my way to the store to buy more tape. Live in MD as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Front license plate from factory?

Old 01-09-2023, 06:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

There is one more thing about the gm bracket. Although it does not require drilling, it is held in by just two screws. The top part of the bracket actually touches, rests against the painted front facia. I sure that if left there, it would eventually get something abrasive between it and paint, and chaff the paint.
That's precisely why it makes no sense to use it, when it works so well where the aero cover is installed. GM is just complying with regulations by shipping height-compliant front plate mounts with new cars delivered to dealers in states that require it. They know full well almost no one wants to use it, which is why they included the "Easter Egg" location and provided the appropriate drilling locations.

The drilled holes are hidden when the aero cover is reinstalled, and you have the same thing you have if you never mounted a front plate.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-09-2023 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:51 PM
Red rag
Drifting

Ohio recently was a two state plate. I always hated running a front plate on my corvette, but I did so I didn’t give a reason to be pulled over. Now, we’re one plate and I really pay attention to it and wanted to make certain I didn’t get the bracket. It’s nice to know it’s it’s ok and doesn’t deter from the front end if it was included because of the state where I bought the car. If I had to show the front plate I certainly would just glad I don’t anymore.

Last edited by Red rag; 01-10-2023 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:31 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,279 Likes on 3,502 Posts

"The plate holder was in the trunk, uninstalled." This has been the case since... well, who knows since so many states haven't used dual tags for decades.

Quick Reply: Front license plate from factory?