Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta say, great car with frustrating Quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 05:57 PM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Received 3,603 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Did you buy the car new?
Old 12-23-2022, 09:45 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

I would be very unhappy with that. Fortunately, I am very happy with with the quality of my C8
Old 12-24-2022, 12:21 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,366 Likes on 14,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by DaveDMW
The good news is that these are all warranty issues. Take it back and get them fixed.
I would agree. These type of things should not be happening to the car.
The following users liked this post:
One Vettey Boi (12-24-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 06:24 AM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,027 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by One Vettey Boi
TLDR: Great car, but interior quality is very disappointing. I know it’s not a $200k European car, but still for $90k+ I expected more.

First of all, Corvette has always been my dream car and when I found out it was going to mid engine, I was elated.

Roll the clock forward and I finally receive my Shadow Grey C8 HTC 3LT. Perfect in every way, and I wouldn’t change a thing.

20 months later and I’m already over 22k miles. It’s been flawless (for the most part) mechanically. Not sure if just DCT or not but it isn’t super smooth at low speeds/low gears and is a bit jerky. Not terrible but sometimes it’s jarring. And the breaks squeak super loud when using it for the first time after it was wet outside/sat for a day or two. The squeak goes away after coming to a stop at the end of my street as I assume it’s just something rubbing off the breaks.

Now for the interior. The back middle HTC convertible window is super squeaky, particularly in colder weather. It’s as if the weather stripping is firm and the window when going over bumps squeaks a bit. When I received the car, there was some sort of lubricant on the edge of with window where it slides into which obviously has been washed away 100x over by now but is still annoying and I usually have to drive with that back window cracked in colder weather.

Some sort of phantom moisture that only my steering wheel absorbs. No leaks, no moisture anywhere else in the car, but when it’s cool (below 60) and damp (foggy or raining) my steering wheel gets SOAKED.

The white lines are from the moisture evaporating from the heated steering wheel. No leaks, no other suede surface has any moisture trapped, but this wheel is like a sponge. I’m concerned for 2 reasons (and annoyed) that 1) this will lead to mold or other smells eventually 2) moisture is somehow getting into my car more than usual.

I need to buy someone a damn ruler because since I received the car, this fabric wasn’t cut straight and there is a visible gap in the fabric lining the center console on the passenger side

very annoying.

Lastly, the leather is like tissue paper. I reached around one day with my hand to get my seatbelt and my nail (I’m a guy and don’t keep my nails long) scraped the door and tore through the leather on the door

And also with the leather, mine is starting to bubble! YAYY!!

Also, both my passenger and driver side windows squeak super loud when they get wet. Rain? Squeak. Wash the car? Squeak. AND sometimes the windows (only happened a few times since owning it. Maybe a total of 10 times) the window like jumps in the track and makes a loud pop noise as if it broke.

Look, I know it’s not a $200k car, I know it’s a Chevy and corvette is more about the price/performance of the vehicle and the thing is great. But for spending more than $90k on a car (more than most avg Americans prob make in a year), I’m pretty dissatisfied with the quality all around. I understand covid, I understand long waits, but I expected better than this. Most of this stuff too is just annoying enough to be noticeable and frustrating when it happens, but not worth the hassle or cost to truly try and fix (as of now). Maybe I’m being whiny and should appreciate how great the car is, but it’s a little deflating when there are so many concerns and the car isn’t even 2 years old. I dreamed of having this car for a long (10-20+) years and at this rate, it will be falling apart at 5.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk

Edit: also have the issue with paint chipping around the headlights because the hosing for the headlights has 0 tolerance and rubs against it
For steering wheel wetness: you said when its damp/foggy outside. I highly recommend setting your AC to recirculate cabin air. IMO what is likely occuring is the severe humidity is coming in via your AC and getting "absorbed" by the microfiber/alcantera. I had that material on the sides of my Mercedes SLK55 with P30 package steering wheel and had the same issue, though to a much lesser extent bc its rarely that humid here.

For the squeeks: buy some Gummi Pfledge off amazon. Super cheap. Apply to the weather stripping above all windows anywhere it makes contact (should apply to all weather stripping honestly to maintain its suppleness). Squeek should resolve with properly lubed weather stripping (again, lesson learned from the SLKs I've had which are also HTCs with similar squeeks).

Yes the outer coating in the leather is tissue paper thin. Totally agree with you on that. And the dash delamination issue sucks but is a risk we take with 3LT.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:52 AM
whitec7
Burning Brakes

Received 610 Likes on 234 Posts

These all can be taking care of at your dealer at 0 cost.
Old 12-24-2022, 09:00 AM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Adding the 2 extra quarts of DCT fluid helps the low speed jerkiness and you want GM Super Lube for the weatherstripping.
Old 12-24-2022, 09:12 AM
craig1952
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Genuine Honda 08798-9013Silicone Grease
Great stuff!

Old 12-24-2022, 09:30 AM
seafordguy
Racer

Received 380 Likes on 190 Posts

Why not set up an appointment with your dealer. If you've waited 20 years to own this car why not get everything fixed instead of letting it taint your ownership experience.

Headlight paint - thousands of us have dealt with it. Easily remedied at dealer
Steering Wheel - very odd, but they can always just throw on a new steering wheel
Brake (note spelling) squeak - all steel rotors will take on a thin coat of surface rust in humid or wet conditions. This has been going on on every car made since disc brakes were invented.
Squeak - lube
Window issues - have dealer address
Dash - known issue affecting a small number of cars, primarily 3LT. Remedied at dealer
Leather - the 3LT leather is a different, supposedly more supple leather, and unfortunately it's probably not as resistant to scratching as other products

Just take the car in and get everything fixed.

If it makes you feel better my wife's brand new escalade is at the dealer with an oil pan full of metal after developing a rod knock after a couple thousand miles. They are replacing the engine, all affected radiators/coolers and lines. My guess is it's months before she gets it back. That's what warranties are for.....

Last edited by seafordguy; 12-24-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-24-2022, 10:11 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It's a $65K car. The quality of the materials and workmanship is going to reflect that
Old 12-24-2022, 10:48 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,607 Posts

I learned with my C7 that the 2LT was enough for me. That car was a 1LT and I had the pleather console cover replaced under warranty. When I took it to Chevy the Service Writer checked my dash telling me it was a constant issue.

I’ll settle for pleather in a domestic vehicle because I don’t think any manufacturer does a good job with leather.
Old 12-24-2022, 10:52 AM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

YOU are not whiny at almost any price you should get what you pay for 20K car 20K quality 90-100 K car 100K quality but that's just the car some are perfect and guys have posted that here some have problems they used to say if you drive it everyday you have to fix it everyday like the old Harleys. I never understood what people meant when they said Oh that's a Corvette but they keep building them and we keep buying them I say if it's under warranty and can be fixed get it fixed and don't worry about whining or going back to the dealer it's your right.
Old 12-24-2022, 11:12 AM
activevette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

Gotcha, must have missed that. Do they recommend a type of lubricant? Don’t want some sort of petroleum based product to damage the weather stripping
A little silicone on your finger and rub it onto the gasket. You can actually use "Back to Black" or a little Armoral.

Last edited by activevette; 12-24-2022 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-24-2022, 10:08 PM
One Vettey Boi
Burning Brakes

Received 480 Likes on 231 Posts

wow lots of replies, thanks for the advice everyone! yeah seems like I just got unlucky with this one, it happens for sure. Our good family friend owns the chevy dealership so not worried about that and have an appt for after the new year.

Happy Holiday's everyone!
seafordguy (12-25-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 10:15 PM
One Vettey Boi
Burning Brakes

Received 480 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapid HTC
Did you buy the car new?
yes

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I would be very unhappy with that. Fortunately, I am very happy with with the quality of my C8
glad to hear it! Hope to have it fixed soon!

Originally Posted by Korbek
For steering wheel wetness: you said when its damp/foggy outside. I highly recommend setting your AC to recirculate cabin air. IMO what is likely occuring is the severe humidity is coming in via your AC and getting "absorbed" by the microfiber/alcantera. I had that material on the sides of my Mercedes SLK55 with P30 package steering wheel and had the same issue, though to a much lesser extent bc its rarely that humid here.

For the squeeks: buy some Gummi Pfledge off amazon. Super cheap. Apply to the weather stripping above all windows anywhere it makes contact (should apply to all weather stripping honestly to maintain its suppleness). Squeek should resolve with properly lubed weather stripping (again, lesson learned from the SLKs I've had which are also HTCs with similar squeeks).

Yes the outer coating in the leather is tissue paper thin. Totally agree with you on that. And the dash delamination issue sucks but is a risk we take with 3LT.
noted about the wheel wetness, thanks for the recommendation, and yeahhh I just did it because I wanted the all black interior with red stitching and the most suede.

Originally Posted by crw41
It's a $65K car. The quality of the materials and workmanship is going to reflect that
but it isn't, optioned like I did was over $90 so...

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Why not set up an appointment with your dealer. If you've waited 20 years to own this car why not get everything fixed instead of letting it taint your ownership experience.

Headlight paint - thousands of us have dealt with it. Easily remedied at dealer
Steering Wheel - very odd, but they can always just throw on a new steering wheel
Brake (note spelling) squeak - all steel rotors will take on a thin coat of surface rust in humid or wet conditions. This has been going on on every car made since disc brakes were invented.
Squeak - lube
Window issues - have dealer address
Dash - known issue affecting a small number of cars, primarily 3LT. Remedied at dealer
Leather - the 3LT leather is a different, supposedly more supple leather, and unfortunately it's probably not as resistant to scratching as other products

Just take the car in and get everything fixed.

If it makes you feel better my wife's brand new escalade is at the dealer with an oil pan full of metal after developing a rod knock after a couple thousand miles. They are replacing the engine, all affected radiators/coolers and lines. My guess is it's months before she gets it back. That's what warranties are for.....
I have an apportionment scheduled for after the new year! Will hopefully have some updates for anyone (hopefully not) experiencing the same things.

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg
I learned with my C7 that the 2LT was enough for me. That car was a 1LT and I had the pleather console cover replaced under warranty. When I took it to Chevy the Service Writer checked my dash telling me it was a constant issue.

I’ll settle for pleather in a domestic vehicle because I don’t think any manufacturer does a good job with leather.
yeah I wanted the all black interior with red stitching only (no 2 tone) and so had to go 3LT and I liked the more suede look too. Also figured I would spend 99% of the time inside the car so figured I would get the best I could
Old 12-24-2022, 10:38 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,764 Likes on 5,617 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
It is generally advised not to use petroleum based lubricants on weather seals. Silicone based lubricants are recommended.
I agree and find 303 to be about the best.

The following 4 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
One Vettey Boi (12-25-2022), OntarioOrangeC3 (12-25-2022), rsparks64 (12-29-2022), undecided1965 (12-24-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 09:17 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 679 Likes on 506 Posts

TLDR: Great car, but interior quality is very disappointing. I know it’s not a $200k European car, but still for $90k+ I expected more.

First of all, Corvette has always been my dream car and when I found out it was going to mid engine, I was elated.

Roll the clock forward and I finally receive my Shadow Grey C8 HTC 3LT. Perfect in every way, and I wouldn’t change a thing.

20 months later and I’m already over 22k miles. It’s been flawless (for the most part) mechanically. Not sure if just DCT or not but it isn’t super smooth at low speeds/low gears and is a bit jerky. Not terrible but sometimes it’s jarring. And the breaks squeak super loud when using it for the first time after it was wet outside/sat for a day or two. The squeak goes away after coming to a stop at the end of my street as I assume it’s just something rubbing off the breaks.

Now for the interior. The back middle HTC convertible window is super squeaky, particularly in colder weather. It’s as if the weather stripping is firm and the window when going over bumps squeaks a bit. When I received the car, there was some sort of lubricant on the edge of with window where it slides into which obviously has been washed away 100x over by now but is still annoying and I usually have to drive with that back window cracked in colder weather.

Some sort of phantom moisture that only my steering wheel absorbs. No leaks, no moisture anywhere else in the car, but when it’s cool (below 60) and damp (foggy or raining) my steering wheel gets SOAKED.

The white lines are from the moisture evaporating from the heated steering wheel. No leaks, no other suede surface has any moisture trapped, but this wheel is like a sponge. I’m concerned for 2 reasons (and annoyed) that 1) this will lead to mold or other smells eventually 2) moisture is somehow getting into my car more than usual.

I need to buy someone a damn ruler because since I received the car, this fabric wasn’t cut straight and there is a visible gap in the fabric lining the center console on the passenger side

very annoying.

Lastly, the leather is like tissue paper. I reached around one day with my hand to get my seatbelt and my nail (I’m a guy and don’t keep my nails long) scraped the door and tore through the leather on the door

And also with the leather, mine is starting to bubble! YAYY!!

Also, both my passenger and driver side windows squeak super loud when they get wet. Rain? Squeak. Wash the car? Squeak. AND sometimes the windows (only happened a few times since owning it. Maybe a total of 10 times) the window like jumps in the track and makes a loud pop noise as if it broke.

Look, I know it’s not a $200k car, I know it’s a Chevy and corvette is more about the price/performance of the vehicle and the thing is great. But for spending more than $90k on a car (more than most avg Americans prob make in a year), I’m pretty dissatisfied with the quality all around. I understand covid, I understand long waits, but I expected better than this. Most of this stuff too is just annoying enough to be noticeable and frustrating when it happens, but not worth the hassle or cost to truly try and fix (as of now). Maybe I’m being whiny and should appreciate how great the car is, but it’s a little deflating when there are so many concerns and the car isn’t even 2 years old. I dreamed of having this car for a long (10-20+) years and at this rate, it will be falling apart at 5.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk

Edit: also have the issue with paint chipping around the headlights because the hosing for the headlights has 0 tolerance and rubs against it
This is certainly not what we like to hear, One Vettey Boi. Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your C8 HTC 3LT. To do so, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: One Vettey Boi/Corvette Forums in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com
DrewK769 (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 04:23 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,234 Likes on 3,468 Posts

Despite periodic marketing hype, domestics have never been known for great QC.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:54 PM
DrewK769
Racer

Received 335 Likes on 144 Posts

I’m impressed that someone from GM chimed in to help!
Fast Dawg (12-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Gotta say, great car with frustrating Quality