Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question....driver door opening: push button once or twice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 09:20 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Default Dumb question....driver door opening: push button once or twice?

Can't find it in the manual about how it's programmed.

From a stop, after putting top up and turning car off, I often have to push twice for door to fully disengage lock mechanism. I thought it used to be once, but....maybe I'm losing my memory.

If you know where in manual this is addressed, I'd appreciate the pointer. Am wondering if it's related to a seat memory setting I accidentally set.

Old 12-14-2022, 09:53 AM
rip74
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 50 Posts

Try pushing and holding the button through the door unlatching/opening process. Don't tap it.
The following 4 users liked this post by rip74:
C-ATE (12-14-2022), Dirtnap_TX (12-15-2022), dohabandit (12-15-2022), Lit (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 09:54 AM
Cortizone
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

I press it once while pushing out on the door. If I just poke the button without moving the door then sometimes the door won't open.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cortizone:
F-16 ED (12-15-2022), Garysvetteagain (12-14-2022), Noreplacement (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 09:59 AM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 676 Likes on 383 Posts

I have this problem too, but I think it's just "operator error"

If I push the button and push out on the door at the same time, and it opens fine. If I just push the button without also smartly opening the door, the latch will disengage and then re-engages and it still catches the door. Then I have to push the button again. So it seems to require more of a single movement, which is a little different from my muscle memory of opening doors more carefully, thinking about whats next to me, etc. I am getting used to it slowly.
The following users liked this post:
ELB23 (12-16-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 10:27 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

thanks gents.

what a car, eh? just tremendous in every respect.

just picked mine up from ncm couple weeks ago.
mnm4ever (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 10:44 AM
Shoal07
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 309 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Hold and Push.

Yes, you don't press the button, you hold the button. Like pulling on a car door handle. If you just yank the handle and let it go, the secondary latch will catch. Same with the button.
The following 4 users liked this post by Shoal07:
dohabandit (12-15-2022), JerryU (12-14-2022), mnm4ever (12-14-2022), t_tate (12-15-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 07:23 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

bingo all the tips here worked like a charm. push button and push the door open in one swift motion, presto.

the corvette forum delivers!
The following 2 users liked this post by SLO VETTE:
Andybump (12-14-2022), Nguzzo (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 08:35 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,655 Likes on 6,652 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoal07
Hold and Push.

Yes, you don't press the button, you hold the button. Like pulling on a car door handle. If you just yank the handle and let it go, the secondary latch will catch. Same with the button.
Yep it's just like the old exterior door handle with a mechanical latch button. Pushing the button releases the latch but if you don't pull on the handle to open the door and just release the button it relatches!

Guess having 50's and 60's cars with that type of hande and button never gave it a 2nd thought!

SIDEBAR
One thing that got me interested in cars was a neighbor when I was about 12 - 13. He and his friends were always working on his car. It was supposedly a Barris built chopped '50 Merc. May have been as it had a lot of lead to make the sloping contours. There were a number of cracks! They were removing the lead and shaping sheet metal so they could use much less fiberglass filler.

Remember he could not pass State inspection because of the electric doors with hidden button. They said it was a safety hazard as if in an accident the police could not open the door to get someone out! So he fabricated a recess in the sheet metal so you could get your fingers under the lip and pushed a mechanical button latch. Looked great!

Old 12-14-2022, 08:46 PM
Lacquer
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 159 Posts

Hi All,
It's actually not a press and hold like days of old... You have to apply pressure with your elbow or shoulder before or as you push button and maintain that elbow/shoulder pressure when you press the button or it will catch. The button only releases the latch for about a second and then it lets the latch go. The same trick for the outside, pull out slightly before or as you pull button and door will open before re-latch. .
Old 12-15-2022, 01:47 PM
solteroblues
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 64 Posts

So I've randomly had this issue before, so when I saw this thread I was interested. After reading through, I tried the methods mentioned here, and it still didn't work. I just went for a drive and when I got out, I held the button and pushed at the same time, still didn't open all of the way, and I had to release and push again. I'm sure it's operator error, but I tried each time I got to where I was going. Weird. But sometimes I don't have a problem. Same issue when opening from outside of the car too, most of the time, I have to press the button once to unlock, and then a second time to actually open the door. If I just grab and squeeze the button and pull, it won't open until my mirrors have fully folded back out.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:07 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by solteroblues
So I've randomly had this issue before, so when I saw this thread I was interested. After reading through, I tried the methods mentioned here, and it still didn't work. I just went for a drive and when I got out, I held the button and pushed at the same time, still didn't open all of the way, and I had to release and push again. I'm sure it's operator error, but I tried each time I got to where I was going. Weird. But sometimes I don't have a problem. Same issue when opening from outside of the car too, most of the time, I have to press the button once to unlock, and then a second time to actually open the door. If I just grab and squeeze the button and pull, it won't open until my mirrors have fully folded back out.
Interesting. Do you have the same issue when you open the door from the outside? I assume the actuator is the same whether its been activated from inside or outside. I find its a more natural motion from outside, you are grabbing the handle and pulling the door, and it just releases and opens. from inside its a little different process, in that you are gripping the pull handle, pushing forward with your thumb to hit the release button, but then having to reverse that motion to open the door, which naturally releases the forward pressure on the thumb. For me it's kind of an awkward movement, partially because the release button is so far forward on the door. I can't get enough leverage from just my hand to push the door open. I've been teaching myself to use my elbow to put outward pressure on the door at the same time I use my thumb to put forward pressure on the button, which seems to work correctly. It's just different from my other cars, so I am not really used to it yet.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:17 PM
solteroblues
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mnm4ever
Interesting. Do you have the same issue when you open the door from the outside? I assume the actuator is the same whether its been activated from inside or outside. I find its a more natural motion from outside, you are grabbing the handle and pulling the door, and it just releases and opens. from inside its a little different process, in that you are gripping the pull handle, pushing forward with your thumb to hit the release button, but then having to reverse that motion to open the door, which naturally releases the forward pressure on the thumb. For me it's kind of an awkward movement, partially because the release button is so far forward on the door. I can't get enough leverage from just my hand to push the door open. I've been teaching myself to use my elbow to put outward pressure on the door at the same time I use my thumb to put forward pressure on the button, which seems to work correctly. It's just different from my other cars, so I am not really used to it yet.
yes I do. I can walk up to it locked, with the fob in my pocket, and when I grab the "handle" and pull, it will unlock but not open. I then i have to press the "button" again to open the door. My BMW unlocks as soon as I approach the door, and grabbing the handle opens it. On the C8, I have to basically give it a second, by the time the mirrors fold out, I can open it
Old 12-15-2022, 03:42 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

yes I do. I can walk up to it locked, with the fob in my pocket, and when I grab the "handle" and pull, it will unlock but not open. I then i have to press the "button" again to open the door. My BMW unlocks as soon as I approach the door, and grabbing the handle opens it. On the C8, I have to basically give it a second, by the time the mirrors fold out, I can open it
So to me, that sounds like a problem, or at least a different setting. Mine definitely unlocks and opens in one motion. I need to be a little more slow and deliberate about it, but its basically the same functionality that my Mustang had, so I am used to it. I do not have to push the exterior button twice to open from locked. You might want to get that checked out at the dealership.

Old 12-15-2022, 03:58 PM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Received 3,608 Likes on 1,499 Posts

So to me, that sounds like a problem, or at least a different setting. Mine definitely unlocks and opens in one motion. I need to be a little more slow and deliberate about it, but its basically the same functionality that my Mustang had, so I am used to it. I do not have to push the exterior button twice to open from locked. You might want to get that checked out at the dealership.
The lock mechanism needs to have a delay built into it so the latch doesn’t snap back so quickly. I’m on C8 #3 and I have had issues with all of them.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:04 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,207 Likes on 3,407 Posts

I found there is a little bit of timing involved. My 2020 latch doesn't release instantly. I need to press (and hold) the button and wait a split second and then push/pull the door. But wait too long and you have to do it again.
Old 12-15-2022, 05:07 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,444 Likes on 804 Posts

This car does not have door popper spring pins to pop the door open for you.
Pressing outside button or inside button does nothing unless you are applying force to the door.

If you press the button and it is "unlocked" as you say, but it will not open with force, then it is still "locked". Maybe you have a problem with your door latch?
Old 12-15-2022, 05:26 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Ok so because I was curious, and also because I needed a break from work, I just went out to the garage and tested this out in every way I can figure out how to do it.

From outside the car:
Car locked, mirrors folded - One push unlocks the car and pops the doors. The doors definitely do "pop" out, even without pulling on them. I tested this with just the fastest upward push I could manage without exerting any outward pressure, and the door pops out. It happens with the mirrors still folding, no waiting required, and definitely no double button push. Side note - it does not unlock when you walk up to the car, it requires a physical touch, so not like the BMW mentioned above.

Car unlocked - Same behavior, one button push, door pops open, and I can continue to pull it open to get in. I never had a situation where it "relatched" on me from outside.

From inside the car:
Car unlocked - One push of the button, door pops open. Exactly like from outside, same actuator, same behavior. I can then push with my hand or my elbow to push the door the rest of the way open. Coincidentally I still did not have a relatch issue, and I know for sure that has happened to me in the past. So either it's working better now, or it will occasionally not pop the door properly, causing it to catch. But during testing it worked about 10 times in a row without issue or hiccup.

Car locked - button doesn't work at all inside. I have to press the unlock button before pressing the release button. But then it worked like usual... press button, door pops out.

Get notified of new replies

To Dumb question....driver door opening: push button once or twice?

Old 12-15-2022, 05:49 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,207 Likes on 3,407 Posts

Ok so because I was curious, and also because I needed a break from work, I just went out to the garage and tested this out in every way I can figure out how to do it.

From outside the car:
Car locked, mirrors folded - One push unlocks the car and pops the doors. The doors definitely do "pop" out, even without pulling on them. I tested this with just the fastest upward push I could manage without exerting any outward pressure, and the door pops out. It happens with the mirrors still folding, no waiting required, and definitely no double button push. Side note - it does not unlock when you walk up to the car, it requires a physical touch, so not like the BMW mentioned above.

Car unlocked - Same behavior, one button push, door pops open, and I can continue to pull it open to get in. I never had a situation where it "relatched" on me from outside.

From inside the car:
Car unlocked - One push of the button, door pops open. Exactly like from outside, same actuator, same behavior. I can then push with my hand or my elbow to push the door the rest of the way open. Coincidentally I still did not have a relatch issue, and I know for sure that has happened to me in the past. So either it's working better now, or it will occasionally not pop the door properly, causing it to catch. But during testing it worked about 10 times in a row without issue or hiccup.

Car locked - button doesn't work at all inside. I have to press the unlock button before pressing the release button. But then it worked like usual... press button, door pops out.
Interesting. I just went out and tested my 2020. If I just press and release the outside door button my car unlocks, the latch actuates and the window indexes down, but the door remains shut, and in about a second the window indexes back up. If I press the button while pulling on the door but quickly release the button and door the same thing happens. I have to keep the button depressed while pulling on the door and it will open after a split second.

I think what is happening is there is there is a slight delay while the window is indexing down before the latch releases.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 12-15-2022 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:16 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Interesting. I just went out and tested my 2020. If I just press and release the outside door button my car unlocks, the latch actuates and the window indexes down, but the door remains shut, and in about a second the window indexes back up. If I press the button while pulling on the door but quickly release the button and door the same thing happens. I have to keep the button depressed while pulling on the door and it will open after a split second.

I think what is happening is there is there is a slight delay while the window is indexing down before the latch releases.
Mine is a 2023, if that matters. The window on mine also indexes, but it all happens basically simultaneously and immediately. I was popping the door open, then pushing it closed without "opening" it and the window would go up and down immediately. The poppers definitely work well, I couldn't fool it or mess up the window position like I used to be able to do on my Mustang if I went too fast.
Old 12-15-2022, 07:28 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,444 Likes on 804 Posts

As per RKCRLR, my vehicle does the same. It is a late 2021 model.
If I push either button on the door, the door does nothing. It sits there. It doesn't pop open. Must apply force.
This is a constant issue for passengers. I have to tell them press and HOLD the button while pushing the door open.
RKCRLR (12-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Dumb question....driver door opening: push button once or twice?