Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raising and lowering my HTC

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 09:43 AM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 676 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by McClendons
Fully understand that it is not cheap. As mentioned in another post, the directions are very comprehensive so that there is no/little room for mistakes. It is really straightforward to install. If you decide to do it down the road, I noticed you were from Tampa. I am in St Pete Beach, and would be glad to assist you when I am in town, but do travel a fair bit. I spent 30 minutes or so understanding how the top levers moved, and once I did, it became clear where to route the harness etc. As for mounting, the included velcro is probably low risk, and if if failed, the unit would rest in a pretty safe place anyway. That said, you could also ziplock the harness to a cable that is in the area and have double security.
Thank you for the offer! I will keep that in mind. Like I said, its a cool unit and I may still get one someday. Actually just drove my car yesterday after writing on this thread, and I had to hold the top down button the entire time, was thinking how nice it would be to just press and go.

But one thing I was thinking about, is there still a decent failsafe with this so that I couldn't (or rather, my wife couldn't!) accidentally bump the button in a place where the top would hit something above it? I am thinking when driving out of or into the garage, or if I ever get my 4-post lift, the C8 will be under another car and the top flipping up in that situation would be catastrophic. I would assume there is some series of buttons to push on the remote, like the frunk opening, that it wouldn't happen with literally a single push. Even from inside the car, I could theoretically see a situation where "someone" goes to lower the window and hits the top button instead. It would be nice if it requires a double push or something, just in case.
Old 12-15-2022, 05:37 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,575 Likes on 4,290 Posts

Originally Posted by mnm4ever
, but I also worry I will accidentally raise or lower the top and hit something.
Just point of information: If you push or pull the door button a 2nd time, the top stops moving. Same if you press the unlock button on the remote. Yes, you still need to pay attention, but you should be doing that even with the stock setup.
The following users liked this post:
mnm4ever (12-15-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 08:09 AM
McClendons
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mnm4ever
I would assume there is some series of buttons to push on the remote, like the frunk opening, that it wouldn't happen with literally a single push. Even from inside the car, I could theoretically see a situation where "someone" goes to lower the window and hits the top button instead. It would be nice if it requires a double push or something, just in case.
The switch in the car was addressed above, a simple 2nd push/pull on the switch stops everything. And the top does not move instantaneously, so you have a little time to react when you here the chime and see the display.

For the remote, I see no real way it would accidently start the process. There are two methods you can choose. First is to press lock or unlock (depending on if closing or opening) then press and HOLD the top button for about 3 seconds. If you just hold it for 2 seconds, the windows go down only. The second method you can choose is 3 presses of the lock/unlock button with about 1 second spacing. If you just hold it down, or space them to far apart, nothing happens.

Old 12-16-2022, 08:22 AM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 676 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by McClendons
The switch in the car was addressed above, a simple 2nd push/pull on the switch stops everything. And the top does not move instantaneously, so you have a little time to react when you here the chime and see the display.

For the remote, I see no real way it would accidently start the process. There are two methods you can choose. First is to press lock or unlock (depending on if closing or opening) then press and HOLD the top button for about 3 seconds. If you just hold it for 2 seconds, the windows go down only. The second method you can choose is 3 presses of the lock/unlock button with about 1 second spacing. If you just hold it down, or space them to far apart, nothing happens.
Exactly what I was hoping they would do. That seems like plenty of safety to stop me from accidentally making a mistake! Thanks.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:12 AM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

That is strange. I can raise mine (open) with the Fob but can't lower (close) it unless I'm in the car using the button.
Old 01-16-2023, 06:42 PM
stealthpilot
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 465 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodstoc
That is strange. I can raise mine (open) with the Fob but can't lower (close) it unless I'm in the car using the button.
That's the way the car is designed.
Old 01-16-2023, 06:46 PM
stealthpilot
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 465 Likes on 234 Posts

Is there anyone with this module in Atlanta who might be up for helping me install it. My order just shipped today.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:07 PM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 496 Likes on 266 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

It's $500 now! Do they ever have discounts?

Quick Reply: Raising and lowering my HTC