Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paying Cash Or Financing Your Future C8/Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 07:48 PM
DaveDMW
Pro

Received 713 Likes on 272 Posts

Pay cash for toys.
The following users liked this post:
Klakeman (11-05-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 08:10 PM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,034 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Majestic94
You know..a shot caller, twenty inch blades on the Impaler…
Impala. (As in the car).

Impaler ( Im - pay - ler) doesnt even rhyme gramps. Imagine if impaler was the lyrics lol. Vlad the impaler riding on 20 inch blades to impale his victims I guess?

(The gramps is tongue in cheek)
Old 11-03-2022, 08:54 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 689 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Korbek
Impala. (As in the car).

Impaler ( Im - pay - ler) doesnt even rhyme gramps. Imagine if impaler was the lyrics lol. Vlad the impaler riding on 20 inch blades to impale his victims I guess?

(The gramps is tongue in cheek)
I believe the lyrics are “gonna be a ballA, shot callA, 20 inch blades, on the ImpalA”

No R’s so it all rhymes 😎

Last edited by mnm4ever; 11-03-2022 at 09:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mnm4ever:
Korbek (11-03-2022), Majestic94 (11-04-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 09:12 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 689 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC8VETTE
I paid cash for my 2022 C8 and my 2022 Traverse even though many told me to keep my money in the stock market and borrow at a low rate.
I’m really happy I didn’t listen to them now after seeing how the market is tanking.
Ha good move! That was me… thinking I was slick keeping all my car cash in my rapidly swelling investment account while I was waiting for my C8 to be built. A couple of months before the car should be done, my wife is asking one of her open ended questions and wants to know if I have all the cash to buy the car and I say don’t worry it’s invested. She says well shouldn’t you take it out of the investments so you have it to buy the car. No I say, it’s still growing and I have plenty of time to take it out before the car is ready. She says she doesn’t like that idea, we should have the cash ready. I say no, it’s fine. Worse case scenario I’ll just finance it and then deal with the cash later. She says she still doesn’t like that idea but I can do what I think is best. A month later the markets tank. Car fund drops 20%. Two days later I get the email that my car is built. I was trying to be greedy for an extra few $$ and now I’m just hoping the car fund goes back to where it was before the dump. And yea yea I have the money it’s just the principle of it, I want to only use my car fund. That’s my play money. Plus everything else dropped too so I’m in the same boat for every investment. The best part is how I get to hear from her every few days how she took HER play money out early in anticipation of the expenses she was planning so she didn’t lose anything. After 20 yrs of marriage you think I would learn by now to listen to her.
The following 3 users liked this post by mnm4ever:
EvanZR1 (11-04-2022), JDSC8VETTE (11-04-2022), st3v (11-04-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 09:53 PM
gchu
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Sold my Facebook stock just before they switched to focusing on the Metaverse.... So based on their stock performance (and the gain from my initial investment), in my head, my C8 cost me about 25% of MSRP LOL

Old 11-04-2022, 03:56 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Is it a rule that every couple of weeks someone has to start a thread about this topic?

Just asking.
The following 4 users liked this post by Sub Driver:
hawkgfr (11-06-2022), Klakeman (11-05-2022), p4snow (11-05-2022), STINGmole (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 10:00 AM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,034 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Is it a rule that every couple of weeks someone has to start a thread about this topic?

Just asking.
Yep, one of those unwritten rules of C8 forum. As is the mandatory daily thread about auto trader listings at MSRP.
The following 3 users liked this post by Korbek:
p4snow (11-05-2022), rkrupka (11-04-2022), STINGmole (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 10:28 AM
JKU007FL
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 91Vette
I do plan on financing my upcoming C8 and am concerned with rising interest rates. Will likely have to put more cash down (which is always a good thing) or perhaps put the purchase off altogether.

Of course, we'll have all the ballers here stating they only pay cash. While I am not saying most are full of ****, cash buyers are certainly in the minority as 84% of new cars are financed. The same boasts of cash-only play out in Porsche forums as well, yet 72% of Porsches sold have $1,000+ monthly payments.
Well said. Also, the OP asked if buying cash of finance not what's your current terms; and immediately the condescending replies of who got the lowest APR, how it helps the OP?
Mr DJ (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 10:46 AM
Blackwater0323
Racer

Received 233 Likes on 160 Posts

Debt is economic slavery. You are controlled by the people who print currency out of thin air. The best feeling is not to have debt and live within your means. Planning future purchases is easier. Toys should never be financed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blackwater0323:
kitesurfer (11-05-2022), Klakeman (11-05-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 10:54 AM
rkrupka
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackwater0323
Debt is economic slavery. You are controlled by the people who print currency out of thin air. The best feeling is not to have debt and live within your means. Planning future purchases is easier. Toys should never be financed.
Debt is merely a tool that can be utilized when in makes sense - tools can be used well or abused, but life in much better for those that can utilize tools.
Jgriff1845 (11-07-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 11:07 AM
TBD
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 113 Posts

Default Wish I was your wife…

…no, I am KIDDING! But I am rather envious of your wife’s SVR. Just bought a ‘23 F Pace S and ❤️❤️❤️ it!

Cheers!

PS: Might buy some SVR badging and pretend…
(Kidding, again!).

Originally Posted by Mr DJ
Two months ago, I bought my wife a new Jaguar F-Pace SVR; I'm not a Baller so I had to finance it. Two months ago, interest rates were semi-high but today, thanks to the Feds continuing their incremental raises, auto loan rates are through the roof. My future E-Ray IMO won't be released til late 2024 or early 2025; I'm hoping by then rates will go back to what they were in 2020/21. But if this trend continues without ceasing, my future E-Ray may end up being only a dream 🥴
Mr DJ (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 11:11 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,229 Likes on 610 Posts

Once you start out with some debt it gets easier for most people to just keep riding that train. Some never get off until their time is done. It's also easy to justify by saying it's financially smart or everyone does it so why not me? The problem is the majority that have the cash do not take that cash they would have used to buy the car and buy stocks or investments and hold them. If you don't have the cash to buy because it is invested that is also a valid strategy. Most do not.

The vette is a toy. I buy toys with cash and don't feel I am a baller or rich, just practical and a lifelong saver/investor. Once you are debt free and experience the freedom that goes with it then taking on debt is just not as easy. I would hate to go back to making monthly loan payments of any kind ever again. Would just go without any toy and find something else to do with my time before paying someone else a nice return on their cash.
mnm4ever (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 11:17 AM
rkrupka
Pro

Originally Posted by JDSKY
Once you start out with some debt it gets easier for most people to just keep riding that train. Some never get off until their time is done. It's also easy to justify by saying it's financially smart or everyone does it so why not me? The problem is the majority that have the cash do not take that cash they would have used to buy the car and buy stocks or investments and hold them. If you don't have the cash to buy because it is invested that is also a valid strategy. Most do not.

The vette is a toy. I buy toys with cash and don't feel I am a baller or rich, just practical and a lifelong saver/investor. Once you are debt free and experience the freedom that goes with it then taking on debt is just not as easy. I would hate to go back to making monthly loan payments of any kind ever again. Would just go without any toy and find something else to do with my time before paying someone else a nice return on their cash.

Debt is merely a tool that can be utilized when it makes sense - tools can be used well or abused, but life is much better for those that can utilize tools.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:27 AM
rkrupka
Pro

Originally Posted by Pinesaul
I once knew a high earner who used debt to motivate himself to get out there and sell. He was the only person I ever met who had a compelling reason for doing so other than borrowing for necessities of course. Does anyone else use debt as a motivational tool?
Some reasons to take on debt off the top of my head ....
- education
- home purchase
- credit cards
- business loan
- asset loan with arbitrage
Old 11-04-2022, 11:50 AM
Mark Carlson
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinesaul
I once knew a high earner who used debt to motivate himself to get out there and sell. He was the only person I ever met who had a compelling reason for doing so other than borrowing for necessities of course. Does anyone else use debt as a motivational tool?
I used to know an obese person who went to all you can eat buffets to motivate herself to go on a diet. It worked for her, so I'm sure it would work for everyone. She's dead at age 35, but YMMV.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:40 PM
Mr DJ
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by TBD
…no, I am KIDDING! But I am rather envious of your wife’s SVR. Just bought a ‘23 F Pace S and ❤️❤️❤️ it!

Cheers!

PS: Might buy some SVR badging and pretend…
(Kidding, again!).
Thank you, TBD...

The F-Pace S is also a sweet puppy; since you're a Jag Man, you know about their Flagship: F-Type R! Well, my wife has that one also and another F-Pace, a diesel. Yes, she has 3 freakin' Jags; check my 44 sec Vlog below, she's racing me in my C7 GS; guess who won

Last edited by Mr DJ; 11-04-2022 at 09:48 PM.
TBD (11-07-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 03:30 PM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Received 553 Likes on 222 Posts

If you can finance for a small fraction of the rate of inflation, you're mathematically winning. Pay today's price with tomorrow's devalued dollars.

Get notified of new replies

To Paying Cash Or Financing Your Future C8/Auto?

Old 11-04-2022, 03:43 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by rkrupka
Some reasons to take on debt off the top of my head ....
- education
- home purchase
- credit cards
- business loan
- asset loan with arbitrage
Don’t agree with the education or credit cards. Unlike cars; those things have no tangible value. If you get in a pinch and need to sell your financed asset, there’s nothing to sell.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:45 PM
Jcgreen
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishfryer527
Try to not borrow money on a depreciating asset. Two years ago, if you financed they would give you a few months rebate, those times are gone now. With the long waitlist times, it should be easy enough to locate $100k in cash to buy a toy over the course of a year. If the vette is your only car, then I get it may be a stretch and a small loan is fine. There will always be people that live beyond their means and there will always be rich folks that think they aren’t.

one thing about paying cash versus leaving it in the stock market is risk, do you risk not making the gains with the $100k or do you risk losing principle while you are paying on a note for another losing asset?
The way I look at the present situation is the rates on Commercial CDs in some cases are near or at 5% if I invest in say a 3 or 5 year CD and take the car loan at 7% I will still be at an effective rate of 2%.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:48 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY

The only difference between having a loan payment is the cost of financing. That’s it. People probably spend more on PPF than their interest costs.

You can have the cash in hand and still not necessarily afford the car.

If you have the means it’s ok to finances the car so you can enjoy it now rather than years from now. Contrary to popular belief, we’re not actually immortal. Time is of the essence.
chevyvette1 (11-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Paying Cash Or Financing Your Future C8/Auto?